LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

but the Galaxy Mega, & the mini S4 are supposedly go to go out of the box for the spark connection. 

The Mini nor Mega are enabled out of the box either. The Sprint press release indicates that both devices will receive an update to enable "Spark" at a later day, just like the N5 and G2.

• Like 1

The Mini nor Mega are enabled out of the box either. The Sprint press release indicates that both devices will receive an update to enable "Spark" at a later day, just like the N5 and G2.

Now we know why Apple was in no hurry to squeeze in the appropriate radio for it.  And, for most people, 800 mhz LTE plus 1900 LTE is plenty enough.  For most, they need not even concern themselves with band 41.  Unless you live in the center of a very major city then it's basically a moot  point for you.  It doesn't carry very far and it's only meant, accordingly, to really help in densely populated, very urban environments.  So don't stress about it!  : o )

• Like 2

Now we know why Apple was in no hurry to squeeze in the appropriate radio for it.

No. Even though they are not tri band, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, and iPhone 5C are all single radio, non SVLTE handsets.  They are similar in that regard to the current tri band handsets.

And, for most people, 800 mhz LTE plus 1900 LTE is plenty enough.  For most, they need not even concern themselves with band 41.  Unless you live in the center of a very major city then it's basically a moot  point for you.  It doesn't carry very far and it's only meant, accordingly, to really help in densely populated, very urban environments.  So don't stress about it!  : o )

That is called rationalization. The peanut gallery pot shots at BRS/EBS 2600 MHz are greatly exaggerated.  And as for the absence of tri band, people may "stress about it" when they are in a stadium, arena, concert, or festival type environment and the only usable data is on band 41 TD-LTE.

AJ

• Like 5

That is called rationalization. The peanut gallery pot shots at BRS/EBS 2600 MHz are greatly exaggerated.  And as for the absence of tri band, people may "stress about it" when they are in a stadium, arena, concert, or festival type environment and the only usable data is on band 41 TD-LTE.

Having band 41 doesnt help with text messages right?

When Im in a conert or football game, its not data I care about, its texting so I can find my party or friends.

Wish every venue had a COW.

I'm waiting on Sprint to send me a SIM card so I can activate the Nexus 5 I got from the play store.  Can anyone please confirm if any aspects of Spark are active in the Chicago burbs?  I currently have a Galaxy S3 and the LTE connectivity is less than stellar...

TIA!

I'm waiting on Sprint to send me a SIM card so I can activate the Nexus 5 I got from the play store.  Can anyone please confirm if any aspects of Spark are active in the Chicago burbs?  I currently have a Galaxy S3 and the LTE connectivity is less than stellar...

TIA!

Spark is active, but not accessible. You'll only see Band 25, PCS LTE until Sprint pushes the update to enable Band 26 and Band 41.

Band 25 connectivity on the N5 appears to be superior than that of the GS3.

Spark is active, but not accessible. You'll only see Band 25, PCS LTE until Sprint pushes the update to enable Band 26 and Band 41.

Band 25 connectivity on the N5 appears to be superior than that of the GS3.

Thanks!  Any dates for when Bands 26/41 will be flipped on in Chicagoland?

Fat data pipe jokes never get old..

Just wrinkly right?

Google Voice.

IF there's a data signal then it would work.  Dodger Stadium showed that the network cannot handle massive crowds AND a dense population on one or two towers.  I had signal a lot but it was unusable both data and voice.

IF there's a data signal then it would work.  Dodger Stadium showed that the network cannot handle massive crowds AND a dense population on one or two towers.  I had signal a lot but it was unusable both data and voice.

One or two 20 MHz TDD carriers will go a long way toward fixing that, maybe even knock it out of the park -- especially since a great many Sprint LTE subs will not have tri band handsets for another two years.

AJ

One or two 20 MHz TDD carriers will go a long way toward fixing that, maybe even knock it out of the park -- especially since a great many Sprint LTE subs will not have tri band handsets for another two years.

AJ

Do you believe it will work when, since this is downtown LA, there are anywhere from 20-50,000 subscribers on maybe three towers?  Not incluiding the constant traffic jetting by on the streets/freeways?

Do you believe it will work when, since this is downtown LA, there are anywhere from 20-50,000 subscribers on maybe three towers?  Not incluiding the constant traffic jetting by on the streets/freeways?

Maybe, maybe not.  People might have to lift their heads up from their small screens, watch the game, and not get obliviously drilled with foul balls.

If it does not work, then every wireless operator will be in the same boat.  With at least one 20 MHz TDD carrier, the capacity issue cannot be limited to Sprint -- unless Sprint just has a massive market share in Chavez Ravine.

AJ

• Like 1

Maybe, maybe not.  People might have to lift their heads up from their small screens, watch the game, and not get obliviously drilled with foul balls.

If it does not work, then every wireless operator will be in the same boat.  With at least one 20 MHz TDD carrier, the capacity issue cannot be limited to Sprint -- unless Sprint just has a massive market share in Chavez Ravine.

AJ

Children and childish boring adults should definately watch out and get off of their iPhones.  I normally sit in Homerun areas.

The one thing I did know was we had COWs at the stadium and they seemed permanent.  I know i was grabbing signal from the closest tower which is at the top of the Ravine but I would also grab a LTE signal that would peak at around -113dB.  We will see how it goes next season.  That's only about 150 days away.

We will see how it goes next season.  That's only about 150 days away.

Wow, watching the calendar already.  You are not relishing football season in LA?

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Band 41 is active. Your device is not authorized to use it yet.

Band 26 will begin to be deployed before the end of the year.

When will the Nexus 5 be "authorized" to use 41? when you say 26 is being deployed before end year - does that mean actually turned on an usable by the end of year?

• Like 1

When will the Nexus 5 be "authorized" to use 41? when you say 26 is being deployed before end year - does that mean actually turned on an usable by the end of year?

No, neither bands are authorized yet. Until Sprint pushes out the update, you will not be able to use either. 

No, neither bands are authorized yet. Until Sprint pushes out the update, you will not be able to use either.

That makes sense. There was a focus on band priority in both the lg g2 thread and the nexus 5 thread, though. Why was that? Regardless of their settings, the block would still not allow them access to the other bands, correct?

Also after the mini, for example, receives it's early update to become authorized, would sprint still block lg users from the other bands?

I guess it might not be important since by January spark will be fully up and running.

edit:in most of the Chicago market at least

Edited by always_learner

That makes sense. There was a focus on band priority in both the lg g2 thread and the nexus 5 thread, though. Why was that? Regardless of their settings, the block would still not allow them access to the other bands, correct?

Also after the mini, for example, receives it's early update to become authorized, would sprint still block lg users from the other bands?

I guess it might not be important since by January spark will be fully up and running.

edit:in most of the Chicago market at least

Each device will get the update separately. They may come weeks or months apart. 

The band priority was an attempt to see if we could activate the bands on our own. It doesn't work.

When they are activated, it appears you can decide - to a degree - which band should be prioritized.

Each device will get the update separately. They may come weeks or months apart. 

The band priority was an attempt to see if we could activate the bands on our own. It doesn't work.

When they are activated, it appears you can decide - to a degree - which band should be prioritized.

Yes. Unless you are out trying to find LTE 800. Once Band 26 is pretty ubiquitous, then leaving it as a higher priority is probably a good idea. However, everyone needs to understand that with Sprint's network management scheme now in place, they can force you off to another band than something you put as a higher priority.

For instance, you put Band 26 as highest and Band 25 is lowest. But Band 26 hits a determined network trigger point in traffic, you can be shunted against your will to another Band. Since the control is between your SIM profile and the network controls, there is nothing you can do about it.

All you SIM lovers who have been harping for years just discovered the achilles heel in the SIM system. You may be able to swap your card, and have an unlocked device, but now you are subject to the Draconian network controls of your wireless carrier. Band priority is neat, but the ultimate control is handled via the network now, folks.

Robert

any ideas as far as if the lg g2 would have more control over band priority compared to the nexus 5,taking into consideration what S4GRU said in his last paragraph? Or is the lg g2 in the same category as the nexus 5 as far as the sim control?

As far as authorization with the other bands, I get a feeling a S4GRU member with a nexus 5/lg g2 will probably spot non-1900 lte before their respective updates, though logically it seems unlikely.

Edited by Dkoellerwx

any ideas as far as if the lg g2 would have more control over band priority compared to the nexus 5,taking into consideration what S4GRU said in his last paragraph? Or is the lg g2 in the same category as the nexus 5 as far as the sim control?

As far as authorization with the other bands, I get a feeling a S4GRU member with a nexus 5/lg g2 will probably spot non-1900 lte before their respective updates, though logically it seems unlikely.

Seeing as all LTE devices have SIM cards, I don't see any difference if that is what you are referring to.

Without the proper authentication credentials on your device, connecting to Band 26 or Band 41 is impossible.

Seeing as all LTE devices have SIM cards, I don't see any difference if that is what you are referring to.

Without the proper authentication credentials on your device, connecting to Band 26 or Band 41 is impossible.

Coincidentally, band 41 appears.

• Like 1

Perhaps the big 'update' will be a network side update.

Although at some point, some kind of update (be it firmware or profile or whatever) will have to be sent to enable the bands on the devices without customer intervention.

Perhaps the big 'update' will be a network side update.

It would make sense that band 41 suffers from the same (e)CSFB issue that triband devices are experiencing with 1900Mhz LTE. 

Band 41 is already enabled for triband hotspots, but unlike the data only devices, triband phones need the 3G and 4G infrastructure talking to each other so that when a phone call or text comes in, the phone can receive a signal over band 41 telling it to drop back down to CDMA.