LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Also, Sprint's NV backhaul needs to be upgraded to handle three 20MHz carriers. Even most of Tmo's network cannot handle that with their current backhaul. I have been on many Tmo LTE sites running 3-4Mbps with LOS to the panels right on the day the site went live (no load). Not all upgraded backhaul is equal.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Do you think that the Spark cities already have the upgraded backhaul. Specifically NYC. I know they have fiber on most of the sites already.

Also, Sprint's NV backhaul needs to be upgraded to handle three 20MHz carriers. Even most of Tmo's network cannot handle that with their current backhaul. I have been on many Tmo LTE sites running 3-4Mbps with LOS to the panels right on the day the site went live (no load). Not all upgraded backhaul is equal.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I thought you said that when they bought backhaul they made sure it was scalable so that if they needed more they could easily get it?

I thought you said that when they bought backhaul they made sure it was scalable so that if they needed more they could easily get it?

We are talking about all kinds of things here.  We are talking about Clearwire WiMax/LTE sites and Network Vision sites.  Most Clearwire/WiMax sites need to have their backhaul upgraded some more.  The backhaul provided for WiMax is insufficient for 20MHz TD-LTE carriers, even though some operate pretty well.  As far as NV, Sprint has all their permanent upgraded backhaul as scalable.  However, did you know that many LTE sites have temporary backhaul?  Guessing by your question, I'd bet you didn't.

Sprint was accepting through Mid 2013 temporary backhaul from vendors in many instances.  Bundled T3's/lower capacity AAV at sites that were lower capacity or were going to be a long wait for fiber.  This allowed them to deploy more LTE sites.  However, this turned out to be problematic and causing the LTE experience to suffer.  So they stopped.

Some markets, like Albuquerque, were supposed to have a lot of bundled T3's as a temporary stop gap awaiting for fiber.  However, just as they were starting to deploy that solution there, Sprint stopped them.  According to an Ericsson integration tech I ran into that because of problems with other markets, they stopped doing the temporary backhaul solutions.  So the sites where these temporary backhaul installs occurred still need to be upgraded to permanent scalable backhaul.

Also, some sites just cannot get access to anything else than what is existing.  For a long time, and in some cases, ever.  Either because easements cannot be obtained, or because of a fight with some jurisdiction or property owner.  In these cases they may have to use microwave.  I know of one site that I heard about in SF Bay market where the adjacent property owner will not give any new easements across his property (which completely surrounds the site) and the city will not give a permit for a microwave radome.  Sprint may have to look for some new sites in some of these extreme circumstances.

And even the sites that have scalable backhaul, they still need to have the backhaul vendor increase the bandwidth when requested.  I believe the contract gives them 30 days.  Or maybe it is 45 days?  But given the way some of these backhaul vendors have performed, I wouldn't be surprised if there was hiccups with those too.  And many of these may not be scalable up to three 20MHz carriers and all the other NV carriers.  This kind of usage was not anticipated back when the initial NV contracts were put out.

Let's face it, the easy sites to get backhaul to already have had their backhaul upgraded.  For the most part, all the ones in Network Vision waiting for backhaul upgrades are the difficult ones for one reason or another.  We tend to think of these issues as black and white.  But with 55,000 sites (including CLWR), there are just so many different issues and variables.  We cannot make blanket statements like, "I thought all the backhaul is scalable."  Although that statement is true, more often than any other one variable.  But possibly not as much as all the variables combined.

Robert

Edited by S4GRU
Added some additional points
  • Like 11

[Removed for page readability] 

Robert

1) I was talking about NV sites because, as you alluded to, Clearwire sites have way to many variables to take into consideration to use a blanket statement.

2) I knew that copper was planned to be used for some sites as a stop gap but I thought you said somewhere that they didn't meet Sprint's requirements and thus that project got scrapped. Like you said however, I didn't know that some sites actually used copper as upgraded backhaul. 

So I decided not to use my upgrade until 2015. I think that's when the spark phones will be out that supports carrier aggregation that can do up to 1gbps.

Just going to buy the nexus 5 and let that hold me off until then.

*i may use my upgrade for the iPhone 6 and then re sell it for profit*

So I decided not to use my upgrade until 2015. I think that's when the spark phones will be out that supports carrier aggregation that can do up to 1gbps.

Get it in gold, That seems to be the one making the most money. I wish I had the money to buy a few and put them on ebay when they first came out. I had no idea that the gold would go for so much lol

You don't expect to see 1Gbps on a phone, right?

• Like 1

If you expect to see 1 Gbps carrier aggregation on a handset in 2015 -- especially in Hagerstown, MD of all places -- well, you need to move.  I have some oceanfront property in Arizona that I will sell you for a great price.

AJ

• Like 7

If you expect to see 1 Gbps carrier aggregation on a handset in 2015 -- especially in Hagerstown, MD of all places -- well, you need to move.  I have some oceanfront property in Arizona that I will sell you for a great price.

AJ

wut?

400px-Map-USA-Southwest01.png

• Like 2

It's a local joke about California falling into the ocean, making AZ oceanfront property. Or so I'm assuming being from the area and knowing this joke.

There is also an old country song that talks about ocean front property in Arizona where you can see the sea from my front porch.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

best part:

As a concrete proof point, the U.S. operator Sprint which has recently selected NSN as its partner to roll out a nationwide LTE TDD network will be using NSN’s new high-bandwidth 8-pipe radio module for its LTE TDD deployment in Band 41 spectrum range.

Thanks for posting

• Like 1

If you expect to see 1 Gbps carrier aggregation on a handset in 2015 -- especially in Hagerstown, MD of all places -- well, you need to move. I have some oceanfront property in Arizona that I will sell you for a great price.

AJ

Lmbo!! I plan on moving back to the DC metro area. I rather use my phone that will support 3x20 MHz.

Why not Hagerstown MD it's 90 done phase one? Because its shentel? Why wouldn't shentel ask to use band 41? Why won't sprint want to squeeze more money from the area?

Idk if Shentel land needs the 1gbps. But they will get band 41 probably not until late 2014 or early 2015

I'm not using my upgrade until 2034. That is when the super spark part 4 is completed, 1 Tbps should be available by then.

I'm going to use the upgrade to buy an iPhone 21 with 1024G Quads of flash memory with cloaking technology and sell it on Swappa.

• Like 5

I'm not using my upgrade until 2034. That is when the super spark part 4 is completed, 1 Tbps should be available by then.

I'm going to use the upgrade to buy an iPhone 21 with 1024G Quads of flash memory with cloaking technology and sell it on Swappa.

Hah ha very funny. iPhone Cloaking technology is not supposed to be out until Q3 2035.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 3