LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

Very disappointing Sprint didn't feel this was a needed feature yet thinks NV is an advanced network.

Again, you are off base.  This has nothing to do with the network, everything to do with the handsets.  So, stop with the "advanced network" nonsense.  Very few operators in the world are as far along as Sprint is in a comprehensive three band LTE deployment.

AJ

• Like 4

Very disappointing Sprint didn't feel this was a needed feature yet thinks NV is an advanced network.  They should target at least one high end phone to allow for it.

Will try GrooveIP before going to Spark phone.

Unfortunately, you are in the minority at this point.

While I did enjoy being able to use SvDO and SvLTE on previous devices, I only used it maybe once or twice. I haven't found myself missing it at all since upgrading to the N5.

It is a feature that we are going to see less of on other carriers as well in the future.

GrooveIP has worked very well for me in the past.

• Like 2

Well to clarify, not triband capabilities live but a triband capable phone that can be put into single band mode.  IE, my SG3 has a setting to do 3G only.   Could maybe a custom ROM allow to force single band or is it fixed in the baseband radio driver.

It is a hardware design.  No ROM, baseband, setting, etc., is going to change that.

AJ

Very disappointing Sprint didn't feel this was a needed feature yet thinks NV is an advanced network. They should target at least one high end phone to allow for it.

Will try GrooveIP before going to Spark phone.

Im not sure why you think it has anything to do with Sprint's network. Its the new devices that aren't capable of svdo/svlte. Go blame Samsung, HTC and all the other OEM's.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Its the new devices that aren't capable of svdo/svlte. Go blame Samsung, HTC and all the other OEM's.

No, it is not quite that straightforward.  The decision to go single radio path e/CSFB with the transition to tri band is almost certainly an agreement between Sprint and the OEMs.

AJ

Some spark "band 41" eye candy in the north dallas area!

I would suggest that you probably are about the only one connected to the site and you are seeing the maximum speed that you are going to see from the site. All your speedtests are almost identical, so nobody else appears to be in the picture with any serious download occurring. As more band 41 capable phones arrive in the area, you will probably see a slight slowdown.

I would suggest that you probably are about the only one connected to the site and you are seeing the maximum speed that you are going to see from the site. All your speedtests are almost identical, so nobody else appears to be in the picture with any serious download occurring. As more band 41 capable phones arrive in the area, you will probably see a slight slowdown.

But considering he doent have a full signal, I'm wondering what his speeds would be like if he did.

Im not sure why you think it has anything to do with Sprint's network. Its the new devices that aren't capable of svdo/svlte. Go blame Samsung, HTC and all the other OEM's.

Not pursuing simultaneous voice/data was a big mistake.  Sprint needs to think about capabilities they will deliver and then influence the vendors to deliver.  Not scrap together off the shelf tech and be at their mercy.  Is pretty clear they have no interest (or perhaps the power) to the best.  If they wanted to be the best, voice/data feature is definitely not something to leave of the list of major things to deliver in a modern network.  That most definitely should be on the top 10 list of a modern network.

Sprint is run by bean counters and detached techies who think about operations, they don't understand you first create requirements based on user desirability and then deliver what users want - not what is easiest for techie people to manage, not if you want to be the best.

Not pursuing simultaneous voice/data was a big mistake. Sprint needs to think about capabilities they will deliver and then influence the vendors to deliver. Not scrap together off the shelf tech and be at their mercy. Is pretty clear they have no interest (or perhaps the power) to the best. If they wanted to be the best, voice/data feature is definitely not something to leave of the list of major things to deliver in a modern network. That most definitely should be on the top 10 list of a modern network.

Sprint is run by bean counters and detached techies who think about operations, they don't understand you first create requirements based on user desirability and then deliver what users want - not what is easiest for techie people to manage, not if you want to be the best.

Okay then. Go design a svlte capable device that supports fdd-lte and TDD-LTE on one platform and report back. Oh and you must keep the device cost the same as that of other vendors and have battery performance and size limitations that are similar to the other models other entities order as yours is unique. 

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 9

Not pursuing simultaneous voice/data was a big mistake. Sprint needs to think about capabilities they will deliver and then influence the vendors to deliver. Not scrap together off the shelf tech and be at their mercy. Is pretty clear they have no interest (or perhaps the power) to the best. If they wanted to be the best, voice/data feature is definitely not something to leave of the list of major things to deliver in a modern network. That most definitely should be on the top 10 list of a modern network.

You people don't seem to get the point. In order for you FANCY SMARTPHONES to be so thin and light, stuffing the extra antennas into the phone would be impossible. There are limitations to what you SVDO/SVLTE monsters are obsessed about. With the tri-band devices came better battery life. SVDO/SVLTE make the phone power 2 radios and therefore consume more power. Which do you really want? I personally love the bigger battery life.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I don't understand people who bitch about this. It's not changing. Sprint would lose more customers by having more expensive SVLTE capable Triband devices than they will lose for not having simultaneous voice and data.

And it's simple. If Sprint doesn't meet your needs, go to another provider. They have already counted on the X percentage that needs this feature going somewhere else.

Most consumers don't need simultaneous voice and data. And not willing to pay $50-$75 more for the feature on a Triband device. So millions of people would waste lots of money for something they don't use. For the benefit of a few. So it's better and less expensive for everyone for those who must have this minor feature just to go somewhere else.

However, it seems the people who complain the most about the absence of SVLTE in Triband devices don't actually ever leave. I guess they don't need it so much after all.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You build thin phones for people who want thin, you build feature phones for people who want that.  But in the end, ATT/Tmobile/VZW are apparently able to do both voice/data at least with some of their latest phones.  Sprint doesn't.

I actually think ive read verizon is moving to ecsfb doesnt the newest iphone on verizon use it?

You'll have a strong enough signal. I have yet to ever see mine go below -76 dBm on 3G. Sounds like you have the tower up your ass.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

lol.  My office is on the second floor and when I look outside my window I see the tower about 1000 ft away at the same level as me.  

I just wish CDMA had properly supported SVD from the git go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thank VZW for essentially killing EV-DV singlehandedly.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sprint could go to VoLTE to deal with this as well but they need 800 LTE over their footprint to implement that. That will be a while coming. Sprint wisely doesn't data an arrival year for VoLTE.

I have an idea for you people who want Simultaneous Voice and Data! Get FreedomPop! They offer 500MB of free data per month! It's so simple. When you are on a call, connect to it and use your data! Wow! What a concept!!!!!!

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Simultaneous voice and data means not much for me. It's easier to hang up and text whatever I am looking for to the person via link or whatever. I bet most att customers have no idea what that would even mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My parents taught me that if you are going hunting with 1 bullet, make sure you have a good shot. Meaning to nitpick about the lack of svdo/svlte is like winning the gold medal, but being pissed that the medal is too heavy around your neck.

• Like 3

A 'modern' carrier who wants to standout as the best should have it even if only 10% use it.  It's a very important feature to me.

ROI on 10%, not worth it.

90% of the 53 million customers have no idea, or need for it.

• Like 1