LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

I can speak from another perspective comparing a mixed B17 and B4 network. Band4 isn't everywhere and only in higher capacity areas. I never realized I was on band 4 and getting switched back and forth until I was looking at my logging and noticed some out of the norm LTE GCI's. So once things get rolled out correctly it shouldn't be an issue as long as the network Config is done right.

I did notice that anytime I am in an area with band 4 I immediately jump to it. My N5 doesn't hang on to it until the bitter end, it hands off to a nearby B17 site when the signal gets to a moderate level. I bet it is setup right now to kick people over to the B4 spectrum since there are probably more B17 only devices out there.

• Like 1

Band 41 is set up as a priority on many devices. It seems like there are some inconsistencies going on where for some people it's last. But it doesn't matter, because lots of people who have devices set as Band 41 as the lowest are still getting put on 41 because the 25 is over capacity anyway.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Sprint is trying to set priorities by region on these devices. And that may explain why we are seeing inconsistencies. Also, I wouldn't rule out an OEM fubar. And last, they may not be setting any scan priorities now at all until the device is farther along.

Where you enter the LTE network is just not a very big deal all things considered. However, if you don't move around and your channel is under capacity, you'll likely stay there a long time.

I would put Band 41 first on all devices by default if I was Sprint. And lots of people are able to stay on Band 41 as their top priority. I don't think the network is overriding your device band priority selection. I think that is your device. Something is wrong. Are you using a custom ROM or something?

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

My device is stock. I guess it is a G2/LG specific thing. I have looked at a few different G2 phones both mine and my wife's and also my co-worker's wife has a G2 and it seems band 41 is purposely low priority. Perhaps it is a test. Perhaps it is market based. At least, as soon as I change the priority back it goes to band 41 instantly and stays there without problems, so it isn't a limitation with the hardware to hold band 41. It just struck me as odd because my personal impression of the Softbank vision of the new Sprint is a band 41 carrier with band 25 simply an alternate and band 26 a backup.

I see, so I should maybe expect -80dbm from LTE?

You'll have a strong enough signal. I have yet to ever see mine go below -76 dBm on 3G. Sounds like you have the tower up your ass.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

I find myself wondering when Clearwire markets that are not one of the top 100 are going to come into the mix. I know they are not likely to be a top priority but the need to replace the Huawei equipment does still exist.

• Like 2

Sprint says they plan to have 100 Spark markets by the end of the year.  Does anybody know which markets those will be?

You are crazy if you think B41 LTE will be available in the top 100 markets by end of 2014.  The timeline that Sprint has announced is a 3 year timeline but given their track record I am going to say 4 years just because of the density required with B41 LTE.  We will have to see in the Q2 CC if Sprint will announce the beginning of B41 LTE deployment on Sprint sites.  Right now only Clearwire sites have been given the B41 LTE treatment and will continue to do so through 2014 and early 2015 until it is finished.

• Like 1

I find myself wondering when Clearwire markets that are not one of the top 100 are going to come into the mix. I know they are not likely to be a top priority but the need to replace the Huawei equipment does still exist.

Clearwire markets are getting Band 41 deployments this year.  Modesto, Merced, Visalia and Stockton are not Top 100 markets but still getting Band 41 upgrades in 2014.  There will be other Clear markets that are outside the Top 100 that will get Band 41 upgrades too.

As for non Clearwire markets outside the Top 100, those will only get Band 41 if capacity becomes a problem.  In more of a hotspot/relief type scenario.  Band 41 in cities smaller than the Top 100 and not in an existing Clearwire market will not likely receive widespread LTE 2600 deployment any time soon.  The plan for these areas are not defined beyond emergency hotspot capacity as needed.

Robert

Clearwire markets are getting Band 41 deployments this year.  Modesto, Merced, Visalia and Stockton are not Top 100 markets but still getting Band 41 upgrades in 2014.  There will be other Clear markets that are outside the Top 100 that will get Band 41 upgrades too.

As for non Clearwire markets outside the Top 100, those will only get Band 41 if capacity becomes a problem.  In more of a hotspot/relief type scenario.  Band 41 in cities smaller than the Top 100 and not in an existing Clearwire market will not likely receive widespread LTE 2600 deployment any time soon.  The plan for these areas are not defined beyond emergency hotspot capacity as needed.

Robert

Are cities with protection sites considered Clear markets? I know east texas has Wimax, but Only a few sites per city, But never announced

Robert

It'll be really nice when that shows up here, having just band 25 works pretty well but there are some areas that are starting to slow down as more people have upgraded to LTE phones, and the density Clearwire has here actually fills in some gaps in LTE coverage where even 800 would probably be reaching for good indoor coverage, infact there are a couple Clearwire sites here I'm hoping get completely built out in the long run since that would make Sprint's overall coverage solid and prevent some decently populated neighborhoods from having to count on just 800 for good coverage.

• Like 1

Are cities with protection sites considered Clear markets? I know east texas has Wimax, but Only a few sites per city, But never announced

No.  Clearwire lumps all Protection Sites into one market.  That market is called the Substantial Service Sites Market (SSS).  They do not belong in the other 76 Clearwire WiMax/Expedience markets.

Robert

No.  Clearwire lumps all Protection Sites into one market.  That market is called the Substantial Service Sites Market (SSS).  They do not belong in the other 76 Clearwire WiMax/Expedience markets. Robert

So these SSS should not be expecting B41 for awhile then?

So these SSS should not be expecting B41 for awhile then?

We don't know when.  We know that they have to switch out the Huawei gear used at most Protection Sites to satisfy National Security concerns that were brought up when Sprint purchased Clearwire.  It is assumed that they will be switched to LTE/WiMax combined capable gear at that time.  But we have not confirmed any of this as of yet.  We don't even know thew Huawei equipment removal deadline.

Robert

We don't know when.  We know that they have to switch out the Huawei gear used at most Protection Sites to satisfy National Security concerns that were brought up when Sprint purchased Clearwire.  It is assumed that they will be switched to LTE/WiMax combined capable gear at that time.  But we have not confirmed any of this as of yet.  We don't even know thew Huawei equipment removal deadline.

Robert

OK I would assume that if the equipment breaks down or needs to be replaced at these sites they would go ahead and switch out equipment. Maybe I could bribe Ericsson to Mess things up on those sites :P

Robert

So what your saying is, Band 41 deployment will be like T-Mobile HSPA+, maybe a tad bit smaller.  :lol: