LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

When sprint aggregates to 20+20 and then 20+20+20 will it require additional hardware or will be as simple as a software upgrade?

That's good I'm going to dc soon. Which part are you picking it up? Georgetown?

Software and end user devices that can do carrier aggregation. 

Question that I haven't seen answered yet (that I can find): Instead of deploying a 20mhz TD-LTE carrier on B41, and then going back and eventually deploying up-to 60+mhz, why doesn't Sprint just deploy 40-60mhz now, given their vast B41 spectrum holdings? Why wait?

Sprint does not have as much BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum in every market as you might think.  And WiMAX currently occupies most of that spectrum.  It was enough work reassigning WiMAX carriers and clearing spectrum just to make way for one 20 MHz TDD carrier right now.

AJ

• Like 1

Gotcha. I was always under the impression that the new handsets were capable of CA.

Carrier aggregation requires LTE Advanced.  No LTE Advanced UEs have been released yet in the US.

AJ

Sprint does not have as much BRS/EBS 2600 MHz spectrum in every market as you might think. And WiMAX currently occupies most of that spectrum. It was enough work reassigning WiMAX carriers and clearing spectrum just to make way for one 20 MHz TDD carrier right now.

AJ

Carrier aggregation requires LTE Advanced. No LTE Advanced UEs have been released yet in the US.

AJ

Thanks for the response, AJ. LTE-Advanced just requires a software update, correct? Obviously, there would need to be handsets on the market to utilize it.

As for the spectrum - I knew WiMax occupied some (10mhz?) of the spectrum in the markets that have WiMax deployed. I was under the impression that Sprint had upwards of 120mhz of BRS/EBS spectrum in certain markets. Some of it they own and some of it they lease, correct?

Thanks for the response, AJ. LTE-Advanced just requires a software update, correct? Obviously, there would need to be handsets on the market to utilize it.

As for the spectrum - I knew WiMax occupied some (10mhz?) of the spectrum in the markets that have WiMax deployed. I was under the impression that Sprint had upwards of 120mhz of BRS/EBS spectrum in certain markets. Some of it they own and some of it they lease, correct?

EDIT: I think i misunderstood your question.... For the handsets it requires new hardware, for the tower it is just software.

Nope, LTE-Advanced requires a modem that can support it.  Currently Qualcomm has 2 modems that support LTE-Advanced: the MDM9625 and MDM9225.  Also, those modems only support LTE-Advanced carrier aggregation over 2 10Mhz carriers.  The upcomming Snapdragon 805 chip includes the MDM9x35 series modem that has full LTE-Advanced capability.

As for the spectrum - I knew WiMax occupied some (10mhz?) of the spectrum in the markets that have WiMax deployed.

Close.  Each WiMAX carrier occupies 5 MHz TDD or 10 MHz TDD.  Then, each adjacent sector and each adjacent site use different carriers.  That takes up most of the available BRS/EBS spectrum.

AJ

EDIT: I think i misunderstood your question.... For the handsets it requires new hardware, for the tower it is just software.

Nope, LTE-Advanced requires a modem that can support it. Currently Qualcomm has 2 modems that support LTE-Advanced: the MDM9625 and MDM9225. Also, those modems only support LTE-Advanced carrier aggregation over 2 10Mhz carriers. The upcomming Snapdragon 805 chip includes the MDM9x35 series modem that has full LTE-Advanced capability.

So does that mean if Sprint's version of the Galaxy S5 ends up having a Snapdragon 805 that it will, at least eventually, be able to use LTE-A and/or carrier aggregation?

So does that mean if their using 10mhz sectors that each 3 sector site is using 30 mhz of spectrum then?

Not to step on AJ's toes, but yes, I believe that is correct. And then each adjacent site is using a different 30MHz of spectrum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When sprint aggregates to 20+20 and then 20+20+20 will it require additional hardware or will be as simple as a software upgrade?

That's good I'm going to dc soon. Which part are you picking it up? Georgetown?

between hyattsville and 395 using new York ave. Haven't ventured to Georgetown yet.

Not to step on AJ's toes, but yes, I believe that is correct. And then each adjacent site is using a different 30MHz of spectrum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Removed my comments I was incorrect and missed AJ's post but learned something when I found it and read it.

Sent from my SPH-L900

I don't think so. All the 1900 LTE has been on a single 5x5 channel so far. "G" subband or whatever it's called.

Uh, this is the Spark thread.  David is not talking about band 25 LTE 1900.

AJ

So does that mean if Sprint's version of the Galaxy S5 ends up having a Snapdragon 805 that it will, at least eventually, be able to use LTE-A and/or carrier aggregation?

I doubt it.  Just because a baseband supports certain capabilities does not mean that they will be implemented.  More likely, look for LTE Advanced handsets late this year or this time next year.

AJ

I doubt it. Just because a baseband supports certain capabilities does not mean that they will be implemented. More likely, look for LTE Advanced handsets late this year or this time next year.

AJ

That saves me money as I don't have the temptation to buy 4 phones a year lol. I'll wait till carrier aggregation chip set is released before I move from my Max and nexus. So what is the maminum amount sprint has for td-lte as i was doing some reading. NYC has the ability to bound 5 or 6, 20 MHz sites together while some other markets only have 2 or 3 x 20 channels.

Uh, this is the Spark thread. David is not talking about band 25 LTE 1900.

AJ

I understand but that was meant to be an example, a site's sectors and adjacent sites often use the same frequency don't they regardless of band or TDE/LTE?

Sent from my SPH-L900

I understand but that was meant to be an example, a site's sectors and adjacent sites often use the same frequency don't they regardless of band or TDE/LTE?

I suggest that you go back and read or reread the entire conversation.  The context is WiMAX.  And your question has already been addressed.

AJ

Close. Each WiMAX carrier occupies 5 MHz TDD or 10 MHz TDD. Then, each adjacent sector and each adjacent site use different carriers. That takes up most of the available BRS/EBS spectrum.

AJ

Seems very spectrum inefficient compared to LTE.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Seems very spectrum inefficient compared to LTE.

It is not a WiMAX versus LTE comparison.  Like it or not, it is just how Clearwire deployed WiMAX.  And it allows adjacent sectors and sites to run full bore without co channel interference.  As deployed, LTE cannot do that.

AJ

It is not a WiMAX versus LTE comparison. Like it or not, it is just how Clearwire deployed WiMAX. And it allows adjacent sectors and sites to run full bore without co channel interference. As deployed, LTE cannot do that.

AJ

Is it feasible and easy to move all the Wimax to one channel to free up 2 or more for LTE? Just let the mostly un burdened wimax live with some lowered performance.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Is it feasible and easy to move all the Wimax to one channel to free up 2 or more for LTE? Just let the mostly un burdened wimax live with some lowered performance. Sent from my SPH-L900

In some large cities, they have scaled WiMax carriers back to 5MHz. I'm watching on and off for if and when they do it to Visalia.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

That saves me money as I don't have the temptation to buy 4 phones a year lol. I'll wait till carrier aggregation chip set is released before I move from my Max and nexus. So what is the maminum amount sprint has for td-lte as i was doing some reading. NYC has the ability to bound 5 or 6, 20 MHz sites together while some other markets only have 2 or 3 x 20 channels.

But the LG FLex looks so promising... aaaaaaah  :wall:

But the LG FLex looks so promising... aaaaaaah  :wall:

you are right it is nice I checked it out at the Sprint store the other day to get a feel for it and it's much lighter than the HTC One max the screen has this odd look to it I don't know if its due to the oled display or 720 resolution... But its a good size and weight...I likes, but I'll wait or become agitated trying too... I'm tempted by what the htc one successor perform like as well. But if I can't hold off till next year HTC one 3 or flex 2 will have carrier aggregation...