LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

I just noticed on the coverage maps at Sprint.com that Orange County, CA is live with Spark. It covers from San Juan Capistrano in the south up to Downey and Santa Fe Springs and west to Long Beach. I haven't seen any evidence on this site to support this. Has Sprint gotten ahead of itself on its own coverage maps? Any thoughts?

I just noticed on the coverage maps at Sprint.com that Orange County, CA is live with Spark. It covers from San Juan Capistrano in the south up to Downey and Santa Fe Springs and west to Long Beach. I haven't seen any evidence on this site to support this. Has Sprint gotten ahead of itself on its own coverage maps? Any thoughts?

I have the same question for OC. I live in Aliso Viejo and they have my area listed as turbo spark but I never even had WiMax anywhere near me. I am waiting for the nexus update to confirm.

• Like 1

As with everything else, they are overstating the coverage. 

Have you checked out our Clear TD-LTE schedule thread to see where to expect Spark coverage?

As with everything else, they are overstating the coverage.

Have you checked out our Clear TD-LTE schedule thread to see where to expect Spark coverage?

I did and neither my area nor the other poster's area have Spark planned for it (yet). Just makes me sad that we can be potentially lied to. I'm keeping up hope until I can prove otherwise.

I was a able make a phone at a sprint store in Houston...

Is that like the Build-A-Bear Workshop?

;)

AJ

• Like 7

I was wondering about the 800 LTE coverage in the OC. I thought Spark meant TD-LTE and 800 LTE. I figured the old Wimax sites got converted but i wasn't aware of any 800 sites.

WiMax is 2600

Nextel was 800

Originally, spark seemed to include 800 and 2600. More recently, it has seemed that Spark stands for the TD-LTE (2600). Although the IBEZ zone seems to stop at San Clemente, the FCC has approved an extension for the public emergency folks to get off the 800 band. Until that happens (anyone's guess), we will not get 800 (LTE or CDMA).

Note: the sprint coverage maps refer to spark as 2600.

I was wondering about the 800 LTE coverage in the OC. I thought Spark meant TD-LTE and 800 LTE. I figured the old Wimax sites got converted but i wasn't aware of any 800 sites.

Spark technically is only TD-LTE.

However, Sprint uses Spark to refer to it's whole LTE network... it's a little confusing.

The OC will not see 800 LTE anytime soon, you probably knew that. I do not know how Sprint is coming up with it's Spark coverage maps, because they definitely show coverage where there never was any WiMax, and there aren't any TD-LTE sites (yet).

• Like 1

could be worse. you could live so far in the IBEZ that you are only 7 miles from the border  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:  :wall:

Would someone please buyout NIH and fix the southside problems? You there Masayoshi?

WiMax is 2600Nextel was 800Originally, spark seemed to include 800 and 2600. More recently, it has seemed that Spark stands for the TD-LTE (2600)Note: the sprint coverage maps refer to spark as 2600.

There are Spark areas where TD 2600 has not been set up yet for 50 miles or so north of Tampa, areas where Wimax has never been. Why would they mark the area as Spark if there won't be 2600 for more than a year?

What does the Band 41 panel look like on a tower? Similar to a 800/1900 panel?

Not even close. There is a thread for spotting Band 41 gear. I'd link but I'm on my phone. In many markets its simply the WiMax gear with an updated RRU.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What does the Band 41 panel look like on a tower? Similar to a 800/1900 panel?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4344-how-to-spot-sprint-tdd-lte-antennas-rrus-samsung/

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4928-how-to-spot-clearwire-tdd-lte-wimax-antennas-rrus-huawei/

or something resembling this when they start installing equipment for NV 2.0 nationwide TDD-LTE deployment with 8T8R antennas & radios.

mQucO51.png

Band 41 in Germantown, Md...

Meh, Sprint has no reason to serve Germans.  Leave them to Deutsche Telekom.

AJ

• Like 5

When is sprint aggregating two 20mhz channels for spark? I've read they were going to turn it on sometime late this year but on the galaxy s5 info sheet on sprint.com they said late 2015...

Do you have a link to the Sprint GS5 info sheet?

When is sprint aggregating two 20mhz channels for spark? I've read they were going to turn it on sometime late this year but on the galaxy s5 info sheet on sprint.com they said late 2015...

With many users, couldn't they be on different channels, and if so, what would be the point of joining channels?

Would it get a user anything if more than a few people are using their cells on that tower?

On LTE in cities now I get 2Mbps in the daytime, which is fine by me.

• Like 1

I think I've only read 2015.  And never a specific time in 2015.  So late 2015 doesn't seem out of line from what I;ve seen.  I think I do remember once reading that B41 CA capable devices may be out before 2015.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of in regards to late 2014?

Robert

With many users, couldn't they be on different channels, and if so, what would be the point of joining channels?

Would it get a user anything if more than a few people are using their cells on that tower?

On LTE in cities now I get 2Mbps in the daytime, which is fine by me.

Bragging rights about who has the fastest network. This is in no way a criticism of Sprint,  just a reality when dealing with the public who refuse to understand anything other than more = better (excluding taxes). I think it will be beneficial for Sprint as it will allow them to showcase what their network can do in terms the dribbling masses can comprehend. Your average consumer simply isn't equipped to figure out how different frequencies or technologies like lte or mimo will affect their service but throw them something like hey we are faster than Verizon and watch them flock to a Sprint store. Everyone wins then. Sprint has a spectrum advantage at higher frequencies and this allows them to leverage that and frankly I doubt most average customers would know if they were on 2500 or 1900 or 800 lte for normal smartphone usage, but they'll be happy knowing they're on the fastest network. 

• Like 1

Bragging rights about who has the fastest network. This is in no way a criticism of Sprint,  just a reality when dealing with the public who refuse to understand anything other than more = better (excluding taxes). I think it will be beneficial for Sprint as it will allow them to showcase what their network can do in terms the dribbling masses can comprehend. Your average consumer simply isn't equipped to figure out how different frequencies or technologies like lte or mimo will affect their service but throw them something like hey we are faster than Verizon and watch them flock to a Sprint store. Everyone wins then. Sprint has a spectrum advantage at higher frequencies and this allows them to leverage that and frankly I doubt most average customers would know if they were on 2500 or 1900 or 800 lte for normal smartphone usage, but they'll be happy knowing they're on the fastest network.

"I saw I was on that 4g lite the other day"

Often heard phrase at our store as NV has been progressing

My buddies on the competitors network always hide behind the fact that they are on 4g everywhere. Nevermind the fact that the majority of sensorly speed tests on said network in my area range .5 mbs ~ 3.0mbs. No faster then our 3g network. People are sheep, and will eat a good marketing ploy.

• Like 1