LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

A 'modern' carrier who wants to standout as the best should have it even if only 10% use it. It's a very important feature to me.

There is no justifiable expense for SVDO anymore. In the next 3 years, most carriers will be utilizing VoLTE, so the SVDO/SVLTE trump card will be useless anyway. Quit flogging a dead horse. :dead:

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Well it's an important feature to some and 3 years is a century in tech world - it's a dead horse to those who don't want to talk about it and for some reason defend a very poor decision.  Now that Softbank has economies of scale, they and Sprint (and even VZW) could work with Qualcomm to add the feature to future Snapdragon chipsets.  It doesn't have to be SVDO, it could be CDMA voice while using LTE data.

Why bury it, how about pushing for it if you want to be the best (unless you don't want to be).  It's a very intuitive feature to have and I'd bet many use it and not realize, especially when on speakerphone or using phone as mobile hotspot.  I'd be curious if there is an actual source/study that says few use it.

Edited by TyrellCorpse

Well it's an important feature to some and 3 years is a century in tech world - it's a dead horse to those who don't want to talk about it and for some reason defend a very poor decision.  Now that Softbank has economies of scale, they and Sprint (and even VZW) could work with Qualcomm to add the feature to future Snapdragon chipsets.

You really do not know what you are talking about.  You are just wishing for something that is convenient for you.

SoftBank does not have economies of scale for multi radio path handsets.  SoftBank handsets are also single radio path, so the move toward band 41 TD-LTE and away from SVLTE is the one that improves synergy and economies of scale for SoftBank and Sprint.

Additionally, this issue has nothing to do with Qualcomm baseband support.  It has to do with separate radio paths upstream and downstream of the baseband.  All indications are those separate radio paths are not coming back with tri band handsets because, as I have already stated, single radio path is simpler to implement and offers better RF performance.

Finally, you need to let staff know whether you prefer to use your xenophonkc or TyrellCorpse account so that the two can be merged.  You are one and the same person posting from the same IP address.  Otherwise, if you keep posting troll like content from both accounts, both will be closed.

AJ

• Like 9

Well it's an important feature to some and 3 years is a century in tech world - it's a dead horse to those who don't want to talk about it and for some reason defend a very poor decision.  Now that Softbank has economies of scale, they and Sprint (and even VZW) could work with Qualcomm to add the feature to future Snapdragon chipsets.  It doesn't have to be SVDO, it could be CDMA voice while using LTE data.

Why bury it, how about pushing for it if you want to be the best (unless you don't want to be).  It's a very intuitive feature to have and I'd bet many use it and not realize.  I'd be curious if there is an actual sour ce/study that says few use it.

The scale of engineering, testing, designing a single chip that supports simultaneus FDD and TDD connections so you can have your phone call and continue streaming, or browsing is not going to be a concept that is adopted by Sprint or any "modern carrier".  VoLTE is the accepted form factor of the future, and Sprint is progressively working towards that goal.  If SVDO or SVLTE is so important to you then you may either need to use a single band handset like the S3 in your sig, or switch to a carrier that will accommodate your demand.  

-William

• Like 1

Well was looking for the discussion on ways it might be possible, not a bury it and forget it approach as it's a very intuitive function that many probably do and don't realize, especially when on speakerphone.  Shutting down ideas and discussion and trying to spin it as trolling is unfortunate for those who want to have discussions on this site. 

As far as handle, whichever you'd like, doesn't matter to me.  I'm losing interest at this point anyway.  

Well was looking for the discussion on ways it might be possible, not a bury it and forget it approach as it's a very intuitive function that many probably do and don't realize, especially when on speakerphone.  Shutting down ideas and discussion and trying to spin it as trolling is unfortunate for those who want to have discussions on this site.

No one is "shutting down" discussion that is productive rather than redundant.  The moves away from SVDO and SVLTE to tri band and e/CSFB have already been discussed ad nauseam.  An S4GRU search or Google query will provide you with ample reading.

So, further discussion at this time is not warranted.  What is done is done.  If that changes -- if perhaps a dual or tri band handset with SVLTE capability makes a surprise appearance -- we will analyze and discuss at length.  But for now, the future plan has been set with single radio path on the eventual road to VoLTE.

AJ

• Like 1

Fair enough, though is enough of an intuitive feature to have and not something to bury, so pushed on it, which apparently some of you didn't like at all.  And my dual account is due to twitter login is different on work vs home computers, not about trolling.

You have to understand that the move is not to "bury" SVDO and/or SVLTE but to evolve to tri band and get ready for VoLTE.  That may cause some growing pains over the next few years, much the same way that Network Vision has caused some growing pains over the past few years.  In either case, the goal is worth the costs.

And thank you for the background on your two accounts.  The dual posting in the same thread raised suspicions, but the Twitter login discrepancy is understandable.

AJ

Honestly all of these frequent asking and bitching about no simultaneous data/voice is seriously sounding like trolls. And then they go complain about it for 15 post.

• Like 3

Honestly all of these frequent asking and bitching about no simultaneous data/voice is seriously sounding like trolls. And then they go complain about it for 15 post.

Companies send reps to secret shop and every time im suspicious they ask about this and its like i know they work at ATT. If you talk to a normal customer they could care less, its a non issue really.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Companies send reps to secret shop and every time im suspicious they ask about this and its like i know they work at ATT. If you talk to a normal customer they could care less, its a non issue really.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

In stores its usually fine, but this place has had this answered multiple times, upon multiple times again. And then we explain it, and they complain and complain. But I know not everyone does it to troll, but it starts to seem like it after so many people ask
  • Like 2

What other explanation is needed?

1. SVDO/SVLTE are going away.

2. There are still older handsets that support SVDO/SVLTE if needed (and the complainers seem to have the handsets anyway)

3. VoLTE is coming in and every carrier will be scrambling to get it up and running and Sprint will be at the forefront.

4. 5-10 different VOIP App options were given in this thread multiple times over (IF you ABSOLUTELY NEED to use this feature on a Triband device)

• Like 5

On a different note. Is Band 41 currently being deployed on legacy Clearwire towers or on Sprint infrastructure?

All the current band 41 deployments are on the former Clear sites. We expect to begin seeing band 41 deployments on Sprint NV sites later this year. In the Columbus, OH market a permit search has found what might be the first evidence that the work to add band 41 equipment might not be that far off.

I need to type faster.....

Edited by cdk
  • Like 3

Guest DigiClaws

Does that mean that the legacy Clear sites will still be operational once Sprint finishes deploying Band 41 on their infrastructure? Will Sprint manage and operate the legacy Clear sites to be a part of their network ultimately adding towers to their infrastructure? Does that make sense?

Does that mean that the legacy Clear sites will still be operational once Sprint finishes deploying Band 41 on their infrastructure? Will Sprint manage and operate the legacy Clear sites to be a part of their network ultimately adding towers to their infrastructure? Does that make sense?

Any sites that are critical to maintaining the dense network that is required for Band 41 will remain.

While we don't have exact plans, the majority of Clear sites will continue to exist. Any sites that are redundant with Sprint sites will either be decommissioned or merged into the Sprint site. Co-Located sites will likely be moved to share the space with the Sprint equipment, and sites that are very close together will probably be combined as well.

• Like 1

Question that I haven't seen answered yet (that I can find):

Instead of deploying a 20mhz TD-LTE carrier on B41, and then going back and eventually deploying up-to 60+mhz, why doesn't Sprint just deploy 40-60mhz now, given their vast B41 spectrum holdings? Why wait? Why not totally destroy the competition right out of the gate in capacity AND speed? If you have the ability to do it (and are planning on doing it anyway), why not just do it and shut these people down? It would shut a lot of the needless negative comments down and help to shine a light on the awesome network Sprint is currently building. Is there a technical reason for this that I'm not aware of?

Btw, I personally share the opinion that speed is just a number on a handset. I'm happy with anything over 2mbps (as long as pings are low) and wouldn't likely notice an increase in speed over that. But some people (including the media) tend to use speed as their measuring stick, right or wrong. I see B25 LTE speeds in the 5-25mbps range all day and just about everywhere I go here in Jacksonville. So I'm very happy. B26 and B41 is just icing on the cake, for me.

• Like 2

Pray tell me how sprint can deploy 40mhz carriers where LTE specifies the largest LTE carrier is 20 MHz.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Carrier aggregation? I didn't specifically say they could deploy one single TDD 40mhz carrier.

I thought this was their plan anyway? Aren't the current tri-band handset capable of carrier aggregation? I could be wrong on the last part.

Carrier aggregation? I didn't specifically say they could deploy one single TDD 40mhz carrier. I thought this was their plan anyway? Aren't the current tri-band handset capable of carrier aggregation? I could be wrong on the last part.

There aren't any devices that I am aware of that are capable of utilizing carrier aggregation. That's why, unless needed for capacity, they are currently only deploying one 20MHz carrier. 

• Like 1

There aren't any devices that I am aware of that are capable of utilizing carrier aggregation. That's why, unless needed for capacity, they are currently only deploying one 20MHz carrier.

Gotcha. I was always under the impression that the new handsets were capable of CA. If not, then this would be the reason. There would really only be a need to add another 20mhz TDD carrier for capacity's sake, which likely won't be needed for awhile.

Question answered. Thank you for your response.

Side note: Why do you constantly see tech writers bitching about the network Sprint could build but won't, if they're literally doing everything they can in-lieu of Carrier Aggregation? If there aren't any handsets that can utilize more than a single 20mhz TDD carrier at a time, why is this Sprint's fault? I can understand the speed/scope of build-out, but that's another story entirely.

When sprint aggregates to 20+20 and then 20+20+20 will it require additional hardware or will be as simple as a software upgrade?

I'm impressed by how much band 41 I've been picking up in the Dc area. Can't wait till all can the increased backhaul.

That's good I'm going to dc soon. Which part are you picking it up? Georgetown?