LTE Plus / Enhanced LTE (was "Sprint Spark" - Official Name for the Tri-Band Network)

The second thing was, the Sprint rep told me that during their recent meeting they were told that 800 is going to be used exclusively for voice and there will be no data on 800. Is that true?

Not true. There already is LTE 800 out there. Even some in parts of the Milwaukee market. We already have members using LTE data on 800. Where the person may be confused, is that Sprint is only deploying 1x CDMA and not EVDO on 800, as far as CDMA goes. So there will not be 3G data on 800, only 1x...which is largely used for voice.

So it's sort of true to say there is no 800 3G data, only 800 3G voice. But that's not true of LTE data. As there will be LTE data on 800 everywhere except the international boundary areas.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 6

I don't quite understand why everyone from Sprint keeps quoting the 60 Mbps Peak speed number when, even currently, folks are getting peak speeds in the 70-80 Mbps range. Heck, just two posts above mine is a screenshot of 72 Mbps DL in DC.

It's one thing to under-promise Average speeds based on a loaded network scenario, but why not quote higher Peak speeds based on what is technologically possible with the current network configuration? If all that there is is a shouting match, every single speed increment helps.

Most of this article was pretty lame and a bit confusing. I could tell if the aurthor was claiming that sprint's lte would only cover 200 million or only currently covers 200 million.

I do agree sprint needs to stop showing off what it can do in a lab and start showing what it can do in the real world, but out side of this the article is less than insightful.

That article is dead nuts accurate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I thought it was a pretty fair article. It did cover Sprint's plans and that new people were heading it up. But was rightly critical in the appropriate places. Let's face it, historical facts are not always on its side. It is what it is.

Sprint needs to execute. And based on the how things have gone the past few months, I'm more optimistic about plans and schedules. More than I have been for about a year. Masa is shaking things up, and we are just now starting to see the evidence of that.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 10

I thought it was a pretty fair article. It did cover Sprint's plans and that new people were heading it up. But was rightly critical in the appropriate places. Let's face it, historical facts are not always on its side. It is what it is. Sprint needs to execute. And based on the how things have gone the past few months, I'm more optimistic about plans and schedules. More than I have been for about a year. Masa is shaking things up, and we are just now starting to see the evidence of that. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Pretty fair, not as bad as some of the other magenta praising articles that have been posted. It was not as negative of an article as I thought it was going to be. 

Some more Spark news: Sprint "plans to expand its tri-band LTE Spark service to a two-carrier configuration toward the end of this year, which he said will result in peak download speeds of 120 Mbps. Then, by the end of 2015, Sprint plans to add another carrier to the configuration of its 2.5 GHz LTE network, which will result in three-carrier peak speeds of 180 Mbps."

Read more: Sprint's Saw: Spark to hit 120 Mbps peaks at end of 2014, 180 Mbps peaks at end of 2015 - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-saw-spark-hit-120-mbps-peaks-end-2014-180-mbps-peaks-end-2015/2014-03-24#ixzz2x06tGDXa 
Subscribe at FierceWireless

A little off topic but i'm curious. Whose getting the new HTC One (M8). I'm team iPhone but I think that phone is spectacular. Its Tri-Band too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't quite understand why everyone from Sprint keeps quoting the 60 Mbps Peak speed number when, even currently, folks are getting peak speeds in the 70-80 Mbps range. Heck, just two posts above mine is a screenshot of 72 Mbps DL in DC.

It's one thing to under-promise Average speeds based on a loaded network scenario, but why not quote higher Peak speeds based on what is technologically possible with the current network configuration? If all that there is is a shouting match, every single speed increment helps.

I pretty distinctly remember Sprint's official stance saying that 60Mbps would be the peak people could expect on Spark... Yeah. 

Sprint Spark is a powerful network capability that delivers enhanced wireless peak data speeds of up to 50 – 60 Mbps and supports a new generation of online gaming, virtual reality, advanced cloud services and other applications requiring high bandwidth.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-adds-six-markets-to-initial-spark-launch-mobile-peak-speeds-up-to-60-mbps-now-available-in-11-markets.htm

Sprint probably was "planning" ahead when they quoted those speeds. As they usually do. 70-80 is above peak speeds, but consider the amount of people that do not have Triband devices. That number should go down, even with b41 being all glorious and a beast. Regardless, any one of those speeds is impressive. I am only getting 20 ish at home with my not so reliable or impressive ISP. They're currently "working on it," but that's another topic.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Sprint probably was "planning" ahead when they quoted those speeds. As they usually do. 70-80 is above peak speeds, but consider the amount of people that do not have Triband devices. That number should go down, even with b41 being all glorious and a beast. Regardless, any one of those speeds is impressive. I am only getting 20 ish at home with my not so reliable or impressive ISP. They're currently "working on it," but that's another topic.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Sprint may have been planning ahead, and likely were. The thing is I still don't think we know exactly how the 20MHz of spectrum being used for Spark is deployed. Unlike FDD which is paired spectrum and thus identical sizes for up/downstream, TDD allows it to be just about any setup desired. I haven't seen any concrete info about how it is setup, just semi-educated guesses.

• Like 1

I think someone answered this a few post back weeks to months ago. But, when will phone be released that support Two Carrier TDD LTE band 41. I don't believe the S5 or new HTC ONE support two channel band 41 so getting them would make em unable to use the full extent of the network by years end if this is the case and Sprint meets there own target deadlines.

I think someone answered this a few post back weeks to months ago. But, when will phone be released that support Two Carrier TDD LTE band 41. I don't believe the S5 or new HTC ONE support two channel band 41 so getting them would make em unable to use the full extent of the network by years end if this is the case and Sprint meets there own target deadlines.

Devices that support carrier aggregation (LTE-A) are supposed to be released later this year, probably late in the year.

Sprint may have been planning ahead, and likely were. The thing is I still don't think we know exactly how the 20MHz of spectrum being used for Spark is deployed. Unlike FDD which is paired spectrum and thus identical sizes for up/downstream, TDD allows it to be just about any setup desired. I haven't seen any concrete info about how it is setup, just semi-educated guesses.

I do believe we have concrete evidence on the setup. I can't recall with specifics off the top of my head, but something about 3:2 division.

• Like 1

Devices that support carrier aggregation (LTE-A) are supposed to be released later this year, probably late in the year.

I remember reading that but couldn't recall definitively! Here then is hoping the HTC ONE max (2014) if there is one. Is, one of those devices. That would be nice!

I do believe we have concrete evidence on the setup. I can't recall with specifics off the top of my head, but something about 3:2 division.

See, I've seen the 3:2 division number before, but the last I read it was entirely a guess to optimize for higher download speed over upload while keeping them similar. That would mean we'd be looking at theoretical maximums of 100/50 speeds. Based on 37.5Mbps being the theoretical maximum for 5MHz of spectrum in an FDD configuration. I do not know if it is different for TDD or whether there is additional overhead, etc.

Who care if sprint show 2.6gb in a lab. Sprint pr and management are so inept. Those type of things are kept in the lab not doing some stupid press conference in Frisco about plans for the future. You keep thing under wrap then when the network is fully upgraded everywhere with the appropriate backhaul then you have a press conference then announce as a today sprint offer 300 megabits down in the top 150 markets in America. That is a called catching the competition by surprise.

You don't show your competition what you plan to do you stab them from behind.

• Like 1

Who care if sprint show 2.6gb in a lab. Sprint pr and management are so inept. Those type of things are kept in the lab not doing some stupid press conference in Frisco about plans for the future. You keep thing under wrap then when the network is fully upgraded everywhere with the appropriate backhaul then you have a press conference then announce as a today sprint offer 300 megabits down in the top 150 markets in America. That is a called catching the competition by surprise.

I don't think that could stay a secret long enough for it to all of a sudden show up or even close to deployment to be a surprise.