LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

I am sure this has been discussed but I cracked the screen on my G2.  I believe it is just the glass and digitizer but I am not sure if it goes all the way to the LCD.  I cannot find anyone local in Cleveland, Ohio who can replace this screen quickly.  One place in the mall said they could do it but it could take 6 days and cost would be $100 for glass and digitizer and $160 if LCD is also bad.  I see online I can buy the glass and digitizer for approx $25 and the whole package with LCD for approx $100 but I am still waiting multiple days for it and I am weary about replacing the screen myself.  Does anyone have any suggestions or know of where I can get the screen replaced today.  The phone is useless as the digitizer is completely broken and I use it for work and need it back asap.

I had contemplated just buying a Nexus 5 but I cannot find anywhere that will sell it to me for $399 as Google would but again I have to wait for shipping then and I hate to go to the smaller battery and lose some of the Sprint apps/features I like for example their visual voicemail.  Has anyone had experience buying one locally for $399 for 32GB?

Thank you everyone in advance for your help/suggestions.

Check swappa. They have them and you can track how the last one sold at what price, plus the price history

Has the problem with group messages coming across as single messages been addressed?  The solution I saw on the Sprint page was to remove third party messaging apps.  Suggestions?

I believe starting with Android 4.2 group messaging became a standard feature in Android, but you do have to turn it on in the message settings.  Check your sms app in the MMS settings and you should see group messaging.  Prior to Android 4.2 you had to use a third party sms app such as Textra, Handcent, etc.  I use Hangouts as my sms app and the group message feature is there.

I believe starting with Android 4.2 group messaging became a standard feature in Android, but you do have to turn it on in the message settings.  Check your sms app in the MMS settings and you should see group messaging.  Prior to Android 4.2 you had to use a third party sms app such as Textra, Handcent, etc.  I use Hangouts as my sms app and the group message feature is there.

It is not in our LG Messaging app.  

• Like 1

It is not in our LG Messaging app.  

You're right, never noticed this before because I was using Hangouts as my default messaging app.

You're right, never noticed this before because I was using Hangouts as my default messaging app.

Only reason I know is because I had someone asking me about it and first I was like, "Why you need group messaging anyway, that ish is silly" but I then looked to see and sure nuff it wasn't there. I only use Hangouts as well so I knew the setting was there so switched them over to Hangouts and they are in Group Messaging bliss now. Lol

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I am sure this has been discussed but I cracked the screen on my G2.  I believe it is just the glass and digitizer but I am not sure if it goes all the way to the LCD.  I cannot find anyone local in Cleveland, Ohio who can replace this screen quickly.  One place in the mall said they could do it but it could take 6 days and cost would be $100 for glass and digitizer and $160 if LCD is also bad.  I see online I can buy the glass and digitizer for approx $25 and the whole package with LCD for approx $100 but I am still waiting multiple days for it and I am weary about replacing the screen myself.  Does anyone have any suggestions or know of where I can get the screen replaced today.  The phone is useless as the digitizer is completely broken and I use it for work and need it back asap.

I had contemplated just buying a Nexus 5 but I cannot find anywhere that will sell it to me for $399 as Google would but again I have to wait for shipping then and I hate to go to the smaller battery and lose some of the Sprint apps/features I like for example their visual voicemail.  Has anyone had experience buying one locally for $399 for 32GB?

Thank you everyone in advance for your help/suggestions.

Well, to be honest if you're replacing entire parts (i.e. Glass/Digitizer/LCD) it's not difficult at all. That's how the stores repair the devices with screen issues. Usually the parts are all together in a single package they receive (or harvest from other devices). You just need a good #00 Phillips screwdriver, a T4/T5/T6 torx and sometimes a tri-wing screwdriver. That's really all any of the phone use (apart from Apple devices). I also suggest getting a couple of the plastic opening tools as well (you can find all of these at www.ifixit.com) just to make sure you have the right tools to take it apart without damaging the casing.

If you've never done it before, take your time. Pay attention to where each type of screw came from and what order you are removing things so you can do it in reverse.

Also, make sure you get the part for your device. It's normal for the various carrier versions to be slightly different because of the way the molding works for various antennae pathways, etc. inside. Make sure it works with the Sprint version.

The phones aren't really that complicated if you're dealing with pre-built parts like this. Now, separating out the digitizer and glass from the LCD on most modern devices is much more difficult, especially zero-gap screen devices.

• Like 2

I have been using GOSMS for years.  Does anyone have experience with that and Hangouts and have a preference between the two?  I have been interested in trying hangouts but reluctant.  I cannot use the stock text app as I cannot stand the bubble messages.

Well, to be honest if you're replacing entire parts (i.e. Glass/Digitizer/LCD) it's not difficult at all. That's how the stores repair the devices with screen issues. Usually the parts are all together in a single package they receive (or harvest from other devices). You just need a good #00 Phillips screwdriver, a T4/T5/T6 torx and sometimes a tri-wing screwdriver. That's really all any of the phone use (apart from Apple devices). I also suggest getting a couple of the plastic opening tools as well (you can find all of these at www.ifixit.com) just to make sure you have the right tools to take it apart without damaging the casing.

If you've never done it before, take your time. Pay attention to where each type of screw came from and what order you are removing things so you can do it in reverse.

Also, make sure you get the part for your device. It's normal for the various carrier versions to be slightly different because of the way the molding works for various antennae pathways, etc. inside. Make sure it works with the Sprint version.

The phones aren't really that complicated if you're dealing with pre-built parts like this. Now, separating out the digitizer and glass from the LCD on most modern devices is much more difficult, especially zero-gap screen devices.

Thank you for your detailed response.  I am decent and putting electronics together but I know enough about myself in taking prior phones apart that I do not work well in small spaces.  After watching the video on everything you had to remove and how to get to the LCD, which did look easy to replace, I decided against doing it myself.  Plus there were to many different versions of the part to chose from online and none seemed reliable about getting it here next day.

I ended up finding a stand in the local mall and I just bit the bullet and paid $190 for the lcd, digitizer and glass screen with overnight shipping of the part.  A little high but at least I do not have to attempt to do it myself and risk destroying the phone and it will be back in my hands today.  The actual parts with install were $160 which nets them $60 or so in profit to do the work.  Probably worth it to let someone with some experience do the repair.  I don't want to completely brick the device. 

I almost just bit the bullet and bought a Nexus 5 but all of the reported Exchange problems kept me away.  One thing about LG's software on the G2 it has the best Exchange support of any Android device I have ever used.  Sub calendars work as well as multiple exchange accounts and email support as well as moving messages between folders is flawless.

I have been using GOSMS for years.  Does anyone have experience with that and Hangouts and have a preference between the two?  I have been interested in trying hangouts but reluctant.  I cannot use the stock text app as I cannot stand the bubble messages.

I used GoSMS back during the gingerbread days, but over time the developers kept adding more useless features and made it bloated.  For third party sms apps I like Textra (very lightweight) or Hellosms (uses sliding cards which I like).  Now with Hangouts being able to handle sms I think it's good enough and don't use any other sms apps.

Thank you for your detailed response.  I am decent and putting electronics together but I know enough about myself in taking prior phones apart that I do not work well in small spaces.  After watching the video on everything you had to remove and how to get to the LCD, which did look easy to replace, I decided against doing it myself.  Plus there were to many different versions of the part to chose from online and none seemed reliable about getting it here next day.

I ended up finding a stand in the local mall and I just bit the bullet and paid $190 for the lcd, digitizer and glass screen with overnight shipping of the part.  A little high but at least I do not have to attempt to do it myself and risk destroying the phone and it will be back in my hands today.  The actual parts with install were $160 which nets them $60 or so in profit to do the work.  Probably worth it to let someone with some experience do the repair.  I don't want to completely brick the device. 

I almost just bit the bullet and bought a Nexus 5 but all of the reported Exchange problems kept me away.  One thing about LG's software on the G2 it has the best Exchange support of any Android device I have ever used.  Sub calendars work as well as multiple exchange accounts and email support as well as moving messages between folders is flawless.

Could you not do insurance claim on the phone?

Could you not do insurance claim on the phone?

I don't have insurance.  With cost of deductible and wait time to get new device I figure I will just pay if I break one.  Plus with 5 devices having insurance on each it will cost more then just paying if something happens.  Plus I wanted to keep my phone and not reprogram as it has no microsd and I wanted my titanium backups.  The ability to get it fixed figured in more than the cost. 

I used GoSMS back during the gingerbread days, but over time the developers kept adding more useless features and made it bloated.  For third party sms apps I like Textra (very lightweight) or Hellosms (uses sliding cards which I like).  Now with Hangouts being able to handle sms I think it's good enough and don't use any other sms apps.

I do agree.  GoSms has gotten extremely bloated.  I may try Hangouts.

I don't have insurance. With cost of deductible and wait time to get new device I figure I will just pay if I break one. Plus with 5 devices having insurance on each it will cost more then just paying if something happens. Plus I wanted to keep my phone and not reprogram as it has no microsd and I wanted my titanium backups. The ability to get it fixed figured in more than the cost.

I cancel my tep and now I fix my phones and is cheaper the g2 is easy to fix, I already fixed 2 of them each lcd/glass part cost me 90 dollars each

I cancel my tep and now I fix my phones and is cheaper the g2 is easy to fix, I already fixed 2 of them each lcd/glass part cost me 90 dollars each

Is there any video tutorial on how to fix it? I don't trust myself to do it alone, and my brother broke his G2. I know it's only the screen and the digitizer, and not the LCD.

Is there any video tutorial on how to fix it? I don't trust myself to do it alone, and my brother broke his G2. I know it's only the screen and the digitizer, and not the LCD.

to take the apart the screen from the lcd is harder, my recommendation is first buy the full lcd/digitazer is easier to install, because taking it apart you will need loca glue, uv light to seal the glue it will cost you more than just getting the full replacement etaju3eb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Tried out the Team D3rp Super G2 ROM preview. I have to say, great job. 

I'd tend to agree with that statement.... and would like mention that the preview is just the beginning, or so I heard. :-D

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me anything about an application, "Home"?

Google isn't finding anything at all, after I've factory defaulted twice this month, I'm still getting a "unfortunately, Home has stopped responding" and the home screen just stays black until it quits and restarts. I can't find anything causing that to happen...I don't have any rogue apps or games. Actually, no games at all.

Can anyone tell me anything about an application, "Home"?

Google isn't finding anything at all, after I've factory defaulted twice this month, I'm still getting a "unfortunately, Home has stopped responding" and the home screen just stays black until it quits and restarts. I can't find anything causing that to happen...I don't have any rogue apps or games. Actually, no games at all.

I had a similar problem and managed to get to system settings->Apps->Home->Uninstall updates.  That got things working for me.  But since you've factory reset you've probably already covered this.

I was bored at work and decided to finally figure out how to root my phone. I rooted, installed twrp 2.7 and immediately tried out the Team D3rp Super G2 ROM preview. I have to say, it was extremely easy this ROM is really polished. Definitely looking forward to future updates.

• Like 1

So I was bored. My boredom could turn into gain. What I'm going to describe may tick some peeps off but in the end open up maybe a way to get back the voice/data centric options and LTE band priority selection.

I performed the permanent SIM unlock as described on another site. I was successful in unlocking my phone not only for international GSM service but also domestic GSM service. I have an active AT&T prepay SIM and can use the Sprint LS980 phone on AT&T in the states all day long, make and receive phone calls on that number, send texts and even have HSPA+ data. The reason I did this is irrelevant.

However, in while performing this hack, it requires editing a build.prop string. I went as far to do the hack on a custom ROM which I lost the ability of using 5689#*980# to access the IOT menu that was crippled in the ZVC update. Guess what, when a certain build.prop entry is changed which tells the handset what carrier it identifies with, the items in the IOT menu change. In custom ROM's the IOT menu is accessed with 277634#*#. With the build.prop identified as OPEN instead of SPR (sprint), a lot of options presented including the ability to select LTE bands. So I learned that the items that show in the IOT menu are somehow enabled based on the RO.TARGET.OPERATOR string. In the case of being set to OPEN, I could select band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 20 or 40. No band 25, 26 or 41 but I have inclination that if the right conditions were set that those bands would present. 

I'm posting this on XDA as well. Anyone that's in to the inner workings of Android, want to take a crack at getting access to the old IOT settings from within the ZVC/KK ROMs?

• Like 3

So I was bored. My boredom could turn into gain. What I'm going to describe may tick some peeps off but in the end open up maybe a way to get back the voice/data centric options and LTE band priority selection.

I performed the permanent SIM unlock as described on another site. I was successful in unlocking my phone not only for international GSM service but also domestic GSM service. I have an active AT&T prepay SIM and can use the Sprint LS980 phone on AT&T in the states all day long, make and receive phone calls on that number, send texts and even have HSPA+ data. The reason I did this is irrelevant.

However, in while performing this hack, it requires editing a build.prop string. I went as far to do the hack on a custom ROM which I lost the ability of using 5689#*980# to access the IOT menu that was crippled in the ZVC update. Guess what, when a certain build.prop entry is changed which tells the handset what carrier it identifies with, the items in the IOT menu change. In custom ROM's the IOT menu is accessed with 277634#*#. With the build.prop identified as OPEN instead of SPR (sprint), a lot of options presented including the ability to select LTE bands. So I learned that the items that show in the IOT menu are somehow enabled based on the RO.TARGET.OPERATOR string. In the case of being set to OPEN, I could select band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 20 or 40. No band 25, 26 or 41 but I have inclination that if the right conditions were set that those bands would present.

I'm posting this on XDA as well. Anyone that's in to the inner workings of Android, want to take a crack at getting access to the old IOT settings from within the ZVC/KK ROMs?

I'd like to follow this. Post the link when you post it on XDA

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am new to rooting and ROMing. If I decide to try a different ROM or go back to stock, what is the safest way to do that?

I am new to rooting and ROMing. If I decide to try a different ROM or go back to stock, what is the safest way to do that?

Look for the LG flash utility and the TOT file for the ls980. This will wipe entire device and restore to which ever rev you load. Also backup you efs...This is done when you use ioroot 25 to root your phone...put it in a safe spot and you will be good no matter what happens

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk