LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

The stock Rom is great already. The modded kk roms all show to be even more great, super speedy, more responsive and dramatic increase on battery life. I was getting more than 30 hours per charge. Once they get the kernel bugs worked out, things will get awesome. Never thought that such a great phone could be improved upon.

What Sprint has done with ZVC Though is ruined it. Maybe it was on purpose to drive sales of newer handsets. Maybe it was a byproduct of their engineering. Either way it was a disappointing move after seeing what the developers have done.

Just curious, what are your issues with ZVC?  So far, ZVC fixed all of my issues from ZV8/ZVA.  The Bluetooth has horrible sound quality in my Civic and when ZVC came around, it fixed the issue.  Not to mention Viper4Android is amazing in my car! 

• Like 1

The stock Rom is great already. The modded kk roms all show to be even more great, super speedy, more responsive and dramatic increase on battery life. I was getting more than 30 hours per charge. Once they get the kernel bugs worked out, things will get awesome. Never thought that such a great phone could be improved upon.

What Sprint has done with ZVC Though is ruined it. Maybe it was on purpose to drive sales of newer handsets. Maybe it was a byproduct of their engineering. Either way it was a disappointing move after seeing what the developers have done.

Just curious, what are your issues with ZVC? So far, ZVC fixed all of my issues from ZV8/ZVA. The Bluetooth has horrible sound quality in my Civic and when ZVC came around, it fixed the issue. Not to mention Viper4Android is amazing in my car!

I'm kind of wondering what you are referring too as well. Trying to figure out what *Sprint has done to it as I haven't had any issues with Sprint ZVC for over a month.

You mentioned in a previous post that none of the Kk roms were fully functional and had issues AND they are all ports. So just a tad bit confused with what you are saying. [emoji3]

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I just can't figure out what is wrong with the GPS on this phone. I just got a replacement from Sprint, and I still can never get a lock. I'm in Chicago, and my weatherbug thought I was in Kansas. That's messed up.

avuryga7.jpgru4y4uny.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS980

Take for instance Mahdi and all of the Cloudy ROMs. They were built around the Verizon version G2, the VS980. They've been ported to LS980 but when you flash them, there are operational problems the biggest being no cellular data. When you go into the settings menu, the network options are grayed out and if you were to go down to about phone and status you get a FC. There are patches and fixes suggested but they don't work. If you can live off WiFi then those ROMs are great.

Like I said, the only custom kk ROM that has worked for me at all was Liquid. The only problem with that ROM was having a stable kk kernel. That has been the one ROM I've considered a benchmark for kk.

Liquid was released as beta many weeks before ZVC was released. I had an expectation that ZVC would function somewhere between the Liquid kk beta and ZVA. I've read of problems for some, more battery drain, battery performance only better, the loss of IOT and my impression was ZVC was only slightly better than ZVA. I swore against taking the flash until I needed to be at stock kk to flash Cloudy so I took the plunge. My suspicions were right, only slightly better performance and slightly better battery life.

After having the taste of what Liquid did for kk, knowing kk's potential I'm left to say Sprint did the community a huge disservice with ZVC. Granted ZVC fixed some bugs definitely with Bluetooth A2DP function, it worked better in my car too. It still wasn't perfect. Audio playback was still accelerated enough that the upper frequencies in music sounded distorted like a blown speaker.

I'm the only person to experience this?

• Like 1

Take for instance Mahdi and all of the Cloudy ROMs. They were built around the Verizon version G2, the VS980. They've been ported to LS980 but when you flash them, there are operational problems the biggest being no cellular data. When you go into the settings menu, the network options are grayed out and if you were to go down to about phone and status you get a FC. There are patches and fixes suggested but they don't work. If you can live off WiFi then those ROMs are great.

Like I said, the only custom kk ROM that has worked for me at all was Liquid. The only problem with that ROM was having a stable kk kernel. That has been the one ROM I've considered a benchmark for kk.

Liquid was released as beta many weeks before ZVC was released. I had an expectation that ZVC would function somewhere between the Liquid kk beta and ZVA. I've read of problems for some, more battery drain, battery performance only better, the loss of IOT and my impression was ZVC was only slightly better than ZVA. I swore against taking the flash until I needed to be at stock kk to flash Cloudy so I took the plunge. My suspicions were right, only slightly better performance and slightly better battery life.

After having the taste of what Liquid did for kk, knowing kk's potential I'm left to say Sprint did the community a huge disservice with ZVC. Granted ZVC fixed some bugs definitely with Bluetooth A2DP function, it worked better in my car too. It still wasn't perfect. Audio playback was still accelerated enough that the upper frequencies in music sounded distorted like a blown speaker.

I'm the only person to experience this?

So all of those are not based on the actual Sprint ZVC release so I'm not sure you can/should use them as a measure. We just released the stock odex rom last night and we're working to release something more custom soon. I can tell you that the actual ZVC meant for the phone has been really solid for me.

Also, how did Sprint do anyone a disservice? I still am missing the part where the ports are better. Maybe try running the software meant for phone and see how it is. Also, for sure, when we drop SuperG2, try it out and see how it is. You may have same impression but least it's based on using the real software for our devices.

So is there a way if you have stock kitkat to root and get back lte only mode without reverting back to 4.3? And can someone tell me if we can change prl with stock kitkat I've read all kinds of stuff on xda but Idk.

I just can't figure out what is wrong with the GPS on this phone. I just got a replacement from Sprint, and I still can never get a lock. I'm in Chicago, and my weatherbug thought I was in Kansas. That's messed up.

avuryga7.jpgru4y4uny.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS980

Sometimes I need to do a reboot to get GPS to work. Also, I've never seen an LTE signal that strong before. Jealous.

• Like 2

Sometimes I need to do a reboot to get GPS to work. Also, I've never seen an LTE signal that strong before. Jealous.

Never seen one at a -78. There are a few towers here that I had as low as -61

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG-LS980

If you're a bit adventurous you can try and fix it yourself...

MAny phones now (the G2 included) have the GPS antenna in the rear housing. You can pop the rear housing off the phone and use a small tool to "pull" up the springs that are on the board itself. These contact springs touch the antenna contacts on the housing, if they don't make good contact you get poor performance. They look like this (this is a Verizon G2 that has different contact points and layout):

dWEIkK3.jpg

This is the rear housing of the Sprint LS980, and the contact points it has...

126JNve.jpg

There may be more than this, I can't quite remember how many there are, or which ones are GPS specifically since it's been awhile.

Many (most) phones do this now, and occasionally some devices the contact points won't be sticking far enough out from the board to make good contact. This can also happen after a phone is dropped, the contact points may get pushed in a bit.

There isn't much risk of destroying anything as long as you're careful and don't pull too hard. I used to do this "fix" all the time as a technician, fixed the GPS issues 9/10 times.

• Like 1

Never seen one at a -78. There are a few towers here that I had as low as -61

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

y2y3e7yr.jpg

Gotta love having tower close to home.... that will TDD-LTE in the coming months. [emoji2]

I've been doing a little experiment this billing cycle where I don't use any wifi on my phone, anywhere, and I haven't skipped a beat. Sprint is definitely THE carrier of choice.

avuryga7.jpgru4y4uny.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS980

i had the same issue but i saw a video on youtube how to fix it, i did it and now i have automatic lock with my exact location 100% accurate before my used to think that i was in Brooklyn .....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I tried that fix a few weeks ago. I put little folded squares of a post-it note behind the contacts on the battery cover. Maybe it wasn't thick enough to make a solid contact (that's what she said). I haven't tried bending the actual contacts on the board of the phone. I shouldn't have to rig brass contacts to get gps to work. That seems like such a massive production fail. When I got my replacement unit, the gps was working great for a day, now nothing. Maybe it's software related. The guy at Sprint told me it's in their system that kitkat broke the gps on the g2. He also blamed an incomplete spark network for my location issues. I'll try bending the board contacts when I get home. I really want to daily drive this phone because of band 41, but it's amazing how you realize how much you need location services working when you're out and about on the weekend, and not having them is bad.

I tried that fix a few weeks ago. I put little folded squares of a post-it note behind the contacts on the battery cover. Maybe it wasn't thick enough to make a solid contact (that's what she said). I haven't tried bending the actual contacts on the board of the phone. I shouldn't have to rig brass contacts to get gps to work. That seems like such a massive production fail. When I got my replacement unit, the gps was working great for a day, now nothing. Maybe it's software related. The guy at Sprint told me it's in their system that kitkat broke the gps on the g2. He also blamed an incomplete spark network for my location issues. I'll try bending the board contacts when I get home. I really want to daily drive this phone because of band 41, but it's amazing how you realize how much you need location services working when you're out and about on the weekend, and not having them is bad.

MAybe a production fail, maybe something caused by a drop or other hard contact. I was seeing posts about poor GPS performance here, yet I never saw an LG G2 come into my store (Top 100 S&R store) for a GPS issue while I was working there.

I've never dropped either of my g2's. Strange.

I've dropped mine several times (hard enough for the case to come off most of them), and I've had no GPS issues with my G2 personally.

This is why I'm more inclined to believe the issue is hardware and related to the contact point with the antenna rather than an issue with software, etc.

If it was the software, then most/all of the phones would have the issue. There were reports of GPS issues before KitKat and reports after KitKat. My phone overall is more stable all around after the KitKat update personally.

Looking back through my Cerberus logs I don't see any erroneous data points before or after the update, going back to October either. There's a few points slightly off of where I was likely to be at then, but they are all within about 100m of my actual location (meaning I didn't have a GPS lock at the time and it was triangulated instead). Since I don't have my GPS locked on all of the time that's not unusual. Every time I've tried to use a GPS app it works fine.

I've dropped mine several times (hard enough for the case to come off most of them), and I've had no GPS issues with my G2 personally.

This is why I'm more inclined to believe the issue is hardware and related to the contact point with the antenna rather than an issue with software, etc.

If it was the software, then most/all of the phones would have the issue. There were reports of GPS issues before KitKat and reports after KitKat. My phone overall is more stable all around after the KitKat update personally.

Looking back through my Cerberus logs I don't see any erroneous data points before or after the update, going back to October either. There's a few points slightly off of where I was likely to be at then, but they are all within about 100m of my actual location (meaning I didn't have a GPS lock at the time and it was triangulated instead). Since I don't have my GPS locked on all of the time that's not unusual. Every time I've tried to use a GPS app it works fine.

Cerberus [emoji106][emoji106]

That seems kind of thick. Did the cover go back on ok?

yes it was good and even with out data still able to pick up my location 5ygu9y9e.jpgzabedeve.jpg

So I decided to try the "bending the contacts on the board" approach to fixing my GPS. For the moment, it seems that it worked. There were 6 total contacts, and I accidentally broke 1 off. Doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Edit: I forgot to mention, this was indoors

juzequ3y.jpg

• Like 2

In the Sprint community forum, Social Care kept referencing an update. I asked them if they had a date when this update would come and the response I received is below. Hoping this is true..This device needs a lot of help!!

18. Re: 4G LTE problems with LG G2 Nationwide - a phone issue NOT Network!!!
46.png?a=50508 icon_sprintMark_24x24px.png
SprintCare May 8, 2014 10:43 AM (in response to JSo15)
JSo15, The release date for the software update is May 31, 2014. For more information on this release, please visit http://bit.ly/1uFTPk0 for more information. Thanks. Crystal Sprint Social Care 

So I decided to try the "bending the contracts on the board" approach to fixing my GPS. For the moment, it seems that it worked. There were 6 total contacts, and I accidentally broke 1 off. Doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Edit: I forgot to mention, this was indoors

juzequ3y.jpg

Can you reference where you saw about the moving the contacts to fix GPS?   My G2 has terrible GPS and can take 10 mintues to lock on if it ever does.

• Like 1