Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

True. Roaming on 1x is horrible. Verizon 1x is slower than Sprint 1x from my personal observations. I am not sure if or when we will see LTE roaming, though. It seems it would either meet carrier stubbornness or a cost issue from carriers demanding a premium paid for access to their precious LTE network. Not sure if over time it will be common once LTE becomes more standard or if it does happen, if it would mean the beginning of paying for a premium roaming service add-on to your plan.

My Nexus 4 has pretty crummy battery life. Worst battery life of any phone I've had since GS2.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

I suggest you update to the latest version of android.

MAJOR battery improvements.

I used to have to charge very often, could barely make it through the day (if at all).  Now I can breeze through 1-2 days.

• Like 1

I think any LTE roaming agreements will be shown and billed as native. It is far more in the interest of smaller carriers to use Sprints network for nationwide coverage than for Sprint users to get better coverage. If anyone could gouge on pricing it would be Sprint but based on Hesse's comments about reducing roaming fees I suspect the goal is fair reciprocity.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk 2

What did Verizon do in the past that rubbed Google in the wrong way?

They don't really like complying with the open network part of what they agreed to when they bought C block spectrum.

Google pushed for this requirement before the sale when through.

(
B)
Use of devices and applications.

Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section 
shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice
 on the licensee’s C Block network, except:

(1) Insofar as such use would not be compliant with published technical standards reasonably necessary for the management or protection of the licensee’s network, or

(2) As required to comply with statute or applicable government regulation.

http://buzzmachine.com/2013/09/17/verizon-caught-red-handed/

• Like 1

They don't really like complying with the open network part of what they agreed to when they bought C block spectrum.

Google push for this requirement before the sale when through.

( B) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee’s C Block network, except:

(1) Insofar as such use would not be compliant with published technical standards reasonably necessary for the management or protection of the licensee’s network, or

(2) As required to comply with statute or applicable government regulation.

http://buzzmachine.com/2013/09/17/verizon-caught-red-handed/

And, I'd imagine, that's just scratching the surface.

( B) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the...

When posted here, every FCC rule point B in the CFR is cool.

;)

AJ

If the Nexus 5 is released on Sprint, what are the chances that going forward future devices will also be launched on Sprint? I don't want a redo of the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint and then Nexus 4 being absent. I think the HTC One is my last HTC handset. 

If the Nexus 5 is released on Sprint, what are the chances that going forward future devices will also be launched on Sprint? I don't want a redo of the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint and then Nexus 4 being absent. I think the HTC One is my last HTC handset. 

The Evo 4G LTE was my last HTC device. The LTE radio was garbage, and wouldn't pick up even when I stood underneath the tower. Traded it to some kid on craigslist for an older Galaxy Nexus, which I'm still using, and picks up LTE just fine.

The Evo 4G LTE was my last HTC device. The LTE radio was garbage, and wouldn't pick up even when I stood underneath the tower. Traded it to some kid on craigslist for an older Galaxy Nexus, which I'm still using, and picks up LTE just fine.

Did you ever compare the two side by side for actual signal strength?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Also , has anyone compared phones signal strengths side by side ie evo LTE, gs4, motox , lg2 etc?

That would be awesome.

Did you ever compare the two side by side for actual signal strength?

Not side by side, but I wrote down the signal strength and location of 3G and LTE on my Evo, then when I traded for the Galaxy Nexus, I compared it to my notes. Blew the frickin' doors off the Evo! Just for an example, I took the bus and train 45 miles to trade for the Nexus, and on the Evo, I got LTE 0 times. On the way back with the Nexus, I got LTE over a dozen times. Stock rooted on both the Evo and the Nexus, not custom ROMs. 

Edit: Thought I should post a link relevant to the Nexus 5, being that's what this thread is for: http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/09/22/nexus-5-and-ubuntu-connection/

Edited by A30N

Not side by side, but I wrote down the signal strength and location of 3G and LTE on my Evo, then when I traded for the Galaxy Nexus, I compared it to my notes. Blew the frickin' doors off the Evo! Just for an example, I took the bus and train 45 miles to trade for the Nexus, and on the Evo, I got LTE 0 times. On the way back with the Nexus, I got LTE over a dozen times. Stock rooted on both the Evo and the Nexus, not custom ROMs. 

Edit: Thought I should post a link relevant to the Nexus 5, being that's what this thread is for: http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/09/22/nexus-5-and-ubuntu-connection/

That link was basically saying that because they're supposed to launch at the same time we think ubuntu might be on the Nexus 5. Also, I think what Canonical meant by being available on the nexus first was simply that it'll be much easier to put ubuntu on it, so that's where they're going to start.

That link was basically saying that because they're supposed to launch at the same time we think ubuntu might be on the Nexus 5. Also, I think what Canonical meant by being available on the nexus first was simply that it'll be much easier to put ubuntu on it, so that's where they're going to start.

Yeah, they had some experimental builds on the old Galaxy Nexus, but it was buggy as hell and all the apps were unfinished.

Yeah, they had some experimental builds on the old Galaxy Nexus, but it was buggy as hell and all the apps were unfinished.

Yeah, I remember that. One can only hope that since they tried to get all that money that they'll have a better plan this time around.

Any info on how this device performs RF wise in the FCC filing? And how that compares to other devices?

Anything is probably better than my EVO, but having a great performing RF device for once in my life would be great.

I remember there being a blog post here about how weak the EVO 4G LTE was RF wise. I bought it anyway, and while its a great phone otherwise, i hate its signal strength daily.

• Like 1