Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

If the next Nexus has a 2600+ battery, I'll consider it.  But it likely is limited to 16GB of internal storage + no SD card slot.  I'd rather just get the G2 in that case since the rumored specs already are outdone by G2's confirmed specs.  We'll see though.  If I ever want AOSP on my phone, there will be custom ROMs for it. (I run AOSP exclusively on my GS3 rather than stock and I love it!)

• Like 1

If the next Nexus has a 2600+ battery, I'll consider it.  But it likely is limited to 16GB of internal storage + no SD card slot.  I'd rather just get the G2 in that case since the rumored specs already are outdone by G2's confirmed specs.  We'll see though.  If I ever want AOSP on my phone, there will be custom ROMs for it. (I run AOSP exclusively on my GS3 rather than stock and I love it!)

I don't think the Nexus 5 will only have one storage size variant.  I think the base model will be 16 GB with an option for 32 GB model.  The Galaxy Nexus had 16 GB and 32 GB models and the Nexus 4 had 8 GB and 16 GB models.

Its hard to go against the FCC filing unless the D820 model is completely wrong but I think if the Nexus 5 wants to be competitive it needs to have at least a 2600-2800 maH battery.  Just because the Nexus phone series is without a UI skin unlike the OEMS things like streaming video or gaming will eat up battery which a 2300 maH battery is not sufficient for.

I think the other thing that concerns me is the type of camera on the phone and its features.  I hope the camera sensor is based off of the LG G2 camera sensor but maybe scaled down a bit assuming its only 8 MP but I wonder if the camera will have OIS as well.  I think OIS is such a great addition to the camera phone especially when you are recording video.  I don't want all that stuttering.

I don't think the Nexus 5 will only have one storage size variant.  I think the base model will be 16 GB with an option for 32 GB model.  The Galaxy Nexus had 16 GB and 32 GB models and the Nexus 4 had 8 GB and 16 GB models.

Its hard to go against the FCC filing unless the D820 model is completely wrong but I think if the Nexus 5 wants to be competitive it needs to have at least a 2600-2800 maH battery.  Just because the Nexus phone series is without a UI skin unlike the OEMS things like streaming video or gaming will eat up battery which a 2300 maH battery is not sufficient for.

I think the other thing that concerns me is the type of camera on the phone and its features.  I hope the camera sensor is based off of the LG G2 camera sensor but maybe scaled down a bit assuming its only 8 MP but I wonder if the camera will have OIS as well.  I think OIS is such a great addition to the camera phone especially when you are recording video.  I don't want all that stuttering.

Unfortunately adding a bigger battery would mean significant internal or casing redesign. I cannot think of a single other phone that did not ship with the same size battery as what was stated in the FCC filing. The specs are practically confirmed by the filing, its done.

It's gonna be 2300mAh, but like i said, if not, ill eat my hat  B)

That said, it will still be my next.

• Like 1

Unfortunately adding a bigger battery would mean significant internal or casing redesign. I cannot think of a single other phone that did not ship with the same size battery as what was stated in the FCC filing. The specs are practically confirmed by the filing, its done.

It's gonna be 2300mAh, but like i said, if not, ill eat my hat  B)

That said, it will still be my next.

But we don't know the thickness of the phone.  It doesn't say that in the FCC filing nor has any tech blog come out an speculate what it is.  All it says in the FCC filing is the H x W of the phone.  Not saying the chances are high of a 2300+ maH battery but technically they could make the phone thicker than what we would expect of the Nexus phone if it meant adding a beefier battery.  I am sure most people would not object to the Nexus 5 being the same thickness of the LG G2 (0.35") if it meant cramming in a 2700 maH battery.  But the chances of that happening *looking at magic 8 ball* not so good.

How badly can the battery be at 2300? The HTC One is 2300 and the battery life is "ok" but that is also taking into account Sense does add more than stock Android. With the Nexus 4 I noticed the battery life was great until you web browsed or streamed video. The device itself got warm/hot which leads me to believe the power drain was caused by hardware. Hopefully that issue was fixed like how the motoX is better good battery life, not sure if that is contributed by the dual-core instead of quad-core.

How badly can the battery be at 2300? The HTC One is 2300 and the battery life is "ok" but that is also taking into account Sense does add more than stock Android. With the Nexus 4 I noticed the battery life was great until you web browsed or streamed video. The device itself got warm/hot which leads me to believe the power drain was caused by hardware. Hopefully that issue was fixed like how the motoX is better good battery life, not sure if that is contributed by the dual-core instead of quad-core.

If the competition is offering 3000 then what would make me favor a 2300 battery? I like Google updates but I run custom Roms all the same so I already get the latest optimizations and other goodies software wise. When I purchase a device, it's for hardware.
  • Like 1

If the competition is offering 3000 then what would make me favor a 2300 battery? I like Google updates but I run custom Roms all the same so I already get the latest optimizations and other goodies software wise. When I purchase a device, it's for hardware.

Good point. Isn't the largest battery 2600 in that form factor? I know 3000 is exceeded but only in devices in the fablet category.

I don't think anyone saying 2300 maH is bad if all you are doing is maybe just browse the web and use some apps.  But the reality is that the majority of the folks use their smartphone in some way to do gaming or video browsing.  I know myself I do a lot of youtube watching so for video or audio streaming it is going to drain the battery.  I don't care if its Android 4.4 kit kat or not the battery is going to drain when gaming or streaming video.  Sure every new release of Android is slowly improving on battery life but I don't believe that it is enough to compensate for a 700 maH difference between the Nexus 5 and G2.  I would need to see proof when Android finally unveils Android 4.4 kitkat and do reviews on it.

Even with a UI skin from the OEMs, I doubt it will make that dramatic of a difference in battery life between stock Android and LG UI skin Android.  Besides the first thing most devs do on XDA once you can root is unpack the stock ROM and make a debloated stock ROM so that should help with battery life.  I know if I got the G2, I would be flashing the debloated stock ROM.

I don't think anyone saying 2300 maH is bad if all you are doing is maybe just browse the web and use some apps.  But the reality is that the majority of the folks use their smartphone in some way to do gaming or video browsing.  I know myself I do a lot of youtube watching so if video or audio streaming so it is going to drain the battery, I don't care if its Android 4.4 kit kat or not the battery is going to drain when gaming or streaming video.  Sure every new release of Android is slowly improving on battery life but I don't believe that it is enough to compensate for a 700 maH difference between the Nexus 5 and G2.  I would need to see proof when Android finally unveils Android 4.4 kitkat and do reviews on it.

Even with a UI skin from the OEMs, I doubt it will make that dramatic of a difference in battery life between stock Android and LG UI skin Android.  Besides the first thing most devs do on XDA once you can root is unpack the stock ROM and make a debloated stock ROM so that should help with battery life.  I know if I got the G2, I would be flashing the debloated stock ROM.

Yea I know what you mean. I don't do all that stuff just yet on my One but that is because everywhere I go has horrible data speeds. All my locations are right outside the nearest 4G accepted cell sites.

Not sure why people are doubting the battery size. We have two, independent, solid sources indicating the battery will be 2300: The FCC filing and the log files. I can think of zero phones which had multiple configurations with different battery sizes (except maybe the Droid Maxx line, and that's really a whole different device). So that's nearly set in stone.

2300 isn't the end of the world. As I already stated:

The G2 is has a 3000 mAh battery [and gets 11.5 hours with the screen on], so if the same tricks are used in the Nexus and the hardware is similar, the Nexus' 2300 mAh battery should last 8.8 hours with the screen continuously on. Keep in mind the Nexus 5's screen will actually be smaller.

Now whether those special tricks are used is unknown, and I'm not optimistic.

BUT, the HTC One, with the same size battery, is a good guide. The Sense version got 4 hours, 48 minutes, "a decidedly average score," on the Verge's battery test. That score apparently equates to a full day's worth of normal to light use. But the Google Play version got a full hour longer on the same test. That's a 21% improvement just by getting rid of the bloat. That savings should carry over in a Nexus device. So even without LG's battery tricks on the G2, I would expect this battery to be at least average, if not a bit better.

ETA: AnandTech also attributed the great battery performance in the G2 in large part to the Snapdragon 800, which will be in the Nexus 5, so if that's truly a battery saver, the Nexus 5 should surpass the HTC One's Snapdragon 600 battery usage.

It seems like with Snapdragon 800 we may be ushering in a new generation of battery performance, despite the lack of a traditional process node shrink.

• Like 1

Not sure why people are doubting the battery size. We have two, independent, solid sources indicating the battery will be 2300: The FCC filing and the log files. I can think of zero phones which had multiple configurations with different battery sizes (except maybe the Droid Maxx line, and that's really a whole different device). So that's nearly set in stone.

BUT, the HTC One, with the same size battery, is a good guide. The Sense version got 4 hours, 48 minutes, "a decidedly average score," on the Verge's battery test. That score apparently equates to a full day's worth of normal to light use. But the Google Play version got a full hour longer on the same test. That's a 21% improvement just by getting rid of the bloat. That savings should carry over in a Nexus device. So even without LG's battery tricks on the G2, I would expect this battery to be at least average, if not a bit better.

ETA: AnandTech also attributed the great battery performance in the G2 in large part to the Snapdragon 800, which will be in the Nexus 5, so if that's truly a battery saver, the Nexus 5 should surpass the HTC One's Snapdragon 600 battery usage.

Good points.  At this point, I just want to see reviews of folks during endurance testing on the phone to see how real performance behaves.  I get what you are saying in that comparing the HTC One with 2300 maH is not equal to the Nexus 5 with 2300 maH because the HTC One uses the S600 chip and the Nexus 5 is suppose to be using the S800 chip which should contribute to better battery life.  Once the final specs are out then people can evaluate the whole package to see if its right for them.

not to mention there are supposed to be some battery enhancements with kitkat as well so.....

If it's 2300 mah battery, I'm pretty sure it'll still be an amazing phone. My nexus 7, with a smaller battery, lasts me a couple of days in between charges. I'm not expecting something that amazing, but I do believe that the new Nexus 5 will be able to hold it's own against other phone with bigger batteries.

-Luis

• Like 1

Nexus 5 to be first smartphone with MEMS camera: fastest on a phone, Lytro like functionality

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-5-to-be-first-smartphone-with-MEMS-camera-fastest-on-a-phone-Lytro-like-functionality_id47900

**** yea.

Gotta temper my excitement. Looks like there's good reason to doubt this rumor:

So the verdict is this: while the camera on the Nexus 5 may indeed be on par with what’s presented by Digital Optics, it’s just as likely that it’ll be something like what’s presented with the Meizu MX3, a device which also uses the Sony imx179 image sensor.

At the same time...

A source familiar with Google has told TechRadar that the much-anticipated Nexus 5 will be announced and shipped in the last week of October.

Now that's good news.

Nexus 5 to be first smartphone with MEMS camera: fastest on a phone, Lytro like functionality

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-5-to-be-first-smartphone-with-MEMS-camera-fastest-on-a-phone-Lytro-like-functionality_id47900

But does the MEMS camera have OIS technology?

**** yea.

Gotta temper my excitement. Looks like there's good reason to doubt this rumor:

At the same time...

Now that's good news.

Hopefully its true that the Nexus 5 will be released by late Oct.  I won't be picking up my phone of choice until first week of November so hopefully by then reviews will be out.  Also I hope Sprint has a floor model that will be available at Sprint stores to play with.

Is this supposed to be tri-band on Sprint? If so, most likely my next phone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

We know that it supports Sprint's network, what we don't know is whether or not Sprint will allow it to be activated on its network. Until it is announced that Sprint will support it we are only guessing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Well I would be very surprised to see a Nexus device on Sprint or Verizon. At least Verizon has the Nexus 7 lte, sort of.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

The other side of the discussion, why take the time to engineer a phone to support Sprint's unique setup if there are no plans for it to work on Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4