Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Everyone just wants everything in a phone.

Yeah, I am furious that they left out the kitchen sink.

AJ

• Like 2

According to some tipsters, Android 4.4 and Nexus 5 announcement could be on October 14th.  Hopefully this is true.  I would love to have my choice of Nexus 5, LG G2 and HTC One Max to choose from to use my upgrade.

http://androidcommunity.com/lg-nexus-5-and-android-4-4-kitkat-tipped-for-october-14th-release-date-20130913/

According to some tipsters, Android 4.4 and Nexus 5 announcement could be on October 14th.  Hopefully this is true.  I would love to have my choice of Nexus 5, LG G2 and HTC One Max to choose from to use my upgrade.

http://androidcommunity.com/lg-nexus-5-and-android-4-4-kitkat-tipped-for-october-14th-release-date-20130913/

That comment section is a sight to behold. Anyway I hope that's true, I'm interested to see how this is going to work with Sprint.

• Like 1

That comment section is a sight to behold. Anyway I hope that's true, I'm interested to see how this is going to work with Sprint.

Yeah, if the Nexus 5 is as affordable as usual without a sprint subsidy, it may make more sense to use the upgrade on an iphone 5S, resell it, and use the profit to buy the new Nexus.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 3

Yeah, if the Nexus 5 is as affordable as usual without a sprint subsidy, it may make more sense to use the upgrade on an iphone 5S, resell it, and use the profit to buy the new Nexus.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 4

I'm thinking this version will end up being a little more expensive than the last one but I don't think by much. I'm thinking it'll be $299 for 16GB and $350 for the 32GB version.

I'm thinking this version will end up being a little more expensive than the last one but I don't think by much. I'm thinking it'll be $299 for 16GB and $350 for the 32GB version.

Since it's pretty much a given that they won't include a microSD slot, I hope they will also offer a 64 GB version for $400-500.

Since it's pretty much a given that they won't include a microSD slot, I hope they will also offer a 64 GB version for $400-500.

Right, no SD card but I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you, remember the Nexus 4 had an 8GB (!!!) version.

Those prices are actually cheaper than the Nexus 4 at launch. They were those prices but with 8gb and 16gb respectively. I highly doubt anything bigger than 32, Google want more people to use their cloud services so they can collect more data from our choices and selections.

I highly doubt anything bigger than 32, Google want more people to use their cloud services so they can collect more data from our choices and selections.

I agree, I wonder when google will replace 'storage' space for 'cloud cache'  :rofl:

I will be pleasantly surprised if 64+ is available though.

• Like 1

I agree, I wonder when google will replace 'storage' space for 'cloud cache'  :rofl:

I will be pleasantly surprised if 64+ is available though.

I can see it now. "Google introducing a new type of storage fresh from their X-labs: Storage Cache. Benefits include EVERYTHING is ALWAYS backed up now more than ever!"...something like that :P

Those prices are actually cheaper than the Nexus 4 at launch. They were those prices but with 8gb and 16gb respectively. I highly doubt anything bigger than 32, Google want more people to use their cloud services so they can collect more data from our choices and selections.

Nope, they're actually the original price of the N4, but considering you would get more storage I guess it could be considered cheaper.

Towards the bottom of the first page: 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6440/google-nexus-4-review/10

Some leaked specs of the Nexus 5.  I find it strange that the Nexus 5 resolution is rumored to be 1794x1080 vs. the typical 1920x1080 resolution.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google/google-nexus-5/21233/nexus-5-specs-confirmed-benchmark-snapdragon-800-1080p-display

Some leaked specs of the Nexus 5.  I find it strange that the Nexus 5 resolution is rumored to be 1794x1080 vs. the typical 1920x1080 resolution.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google/google-nexus-5/21233/nexus-5-specs-confirmed-benchmark-snapdragon-800-1080p-display

The physical panel will be 1080 x 1920, but then you subtract I think 144 for the nav bar and status bar (usable space will be 1080 x 1776). It reports the full resolution to apps however.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/google/google-nexus-5/21233/nexus-5-specs-confirmed-benchmark-snapdragon-800-1080p-displ

My Nexus 7 2013 resolution shows up as 1200x1848 in Antutu probably because of the on screen buttons.

Yeah, I am furious that they left out the kitchen sink.

AJ

I can live without the kitchen sink, if there is a working dishwasher.

The physical panel will be 1080 x 1920, but then you subtract I think 144 for the nav bar and status bar (usable space will be 1080 x 1776). It reports the full resolution to apps however.

I can't believe people don't understand this yet. Even the Android blogs got confused by this. :td:

Edited by WhiteZero

In the leaked video of the Nexus 5, you briefly see that the phone is indeed connected to Google Services, before the bartender starts messing with the lockscreen. Also, it looks like the non-removable battery will be sub-par, as the device has (I think) 2% remaining and obviously needs to be charged. Not sure if its 4:30am or 4:30pm, but if its 4:30am then that's an extra 12 hours of battery life (assuming the device was not charging intermittently throughout the day. In any case, the engineer is an alcoholic (if it's 4:30pm he left work early to start drinking, and if its 4:30am he's been drinking all night long, lol).

ARDpfU7.jpg

In the leaked video of the Nexus 5, you briefly see that the phone is indeed connected to Google Services, before the bartender starts messing with the lockscreen. Also, it looks like the non-removable battery will be sub-par, as the device has (I think) 2% remaining and obviously needs to be charged. Not sure if its 4:30am or 4:30pm, but if its 4:30am then that's an extra 12 hours of battery life (assuming the device was not charging intermittently throughout the day. In any case, the engineer is an alcoholic (if it's 4:30pm he left work early to start drinking, and if its 4:30am he's been drinking all night long, lol).

ARDpfU7.jpg

Haha so analytical.  Way to break down the details of the leaked video.  Yeah for me the verdict is still out on how a 2300 maH battery will do on the Nexus 5 vs. a 3000 maH battery on the LG G2.

Haha so analytical.  Way to break down the details of the leaked video.  Yeah for me the verdict is still out on how a 2300 maH battery will do on the Nexus 5 vs. a 3000 maH battery on the LG G2.

The smaller battery in the Nexus 7 (2013) outperforms the bigger battery in the Nexus 7 (2012).

Honestly it's about optimizing the software to take small sips from the battery. I think the Nexus 5 will have great battery life.

-Luis

• Like 1

The smaller battery in the Nexus 7 (2013) outperforms the bigger battery in the Nexus 7 (2012).

Honestly it's about optimizing the software to take small sips from the battery. I think the Nexus 5 will have great battery life.

-Luis

The real gas guzzler is the 5", IPS, backlit LCD panel running at 1080 x 1920. Ain't so software that can reduce that power consumption!

The real gas guzzler is the 5", IPS, backlit LCD panel running at 1080 x 1920. Ain't so software that can reduce that power consumption!

I'm just saying it as a comparison, you're right the screen will obviously be the biggest culprit. But the Nexus 7 (2013) has a 1920x1200 resolution screen, but it still has great battery life.

If the software can reduce battery usage, then the screen should be no problem.

-Luis

-Luis

Not only that but you have to factor in not just the software but the hardware as well.  The Nexus 7 (2012) and Nexus 7 (2013) is not an apples to apples comparison.  The Nexus 7 (2012) had the Tegra 3 chip built on 40 nm die size with Cortex-A9 vs. Nexus 7 (2013) had Qualcomm S600 chip built on 28 nm LP (low power) die size with Cortex-A15 cortex.  The 28nm chip is going to use a lot less power than the 40 nm chip.

The Nexus 4 had a 2100 maH battery so I didn't follow the Nexus 4 that much but I assume it had good battery life.