Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

im not sure what that big square cut is in the upper middle part of the phone. is that done for testing purposes?

The back plate is not removable.  It probably had to be cut to remove it.

AJ

• Like 1

The back plate is not removable.  It probably had to be cut to remove it.

AJ

If you look, there are clips holding the back plate on. In one photo where the back plate is on, you can actually see one clip that is not pushed down all of the way.

The back plate may not supposed to be removed, but it looks like it is possible. A lot of phones' pieces will snap apart with some prying, however they are not intended to be removable. But the final version might be glued down?

If you look on the inside of the back plate though, the "cut" does actually look like a cut as the edges look rough (does not look rough from the other side though) who knows.

If you look, there are clips holding the back plate on. In one photo where the back plate is on, you can actually see one clip that is not pushed down all of the way.

The back plate may not supposed to be removed, but it looks like it is possible. A lot of phones' pieces will snap apart with some prying, however they are not intended to be removable. But the final version might be glued down?

If you look on the inside of the back plate though, the "cut" does actually look like a cut as the edges look rough (does not look rough from the other side though) who knows.

Where I work our prototypes/engineering test devices often have snap clips on the exterior casing when the final product is 100% sealed. It makes sense from a testing standpoint. 

im not sure what that big square cut is in the upper middle part of the phone. is that done for testing purposes?

I'm not expert on this, and this could be a long shot, but that black square looks like it could be an IR blaster.

Does native Android, such that this device would be running, have a good way of multitasking?

Haven't been on Android for two years so wanted to see what multitasking, if any, are available. In terms of multitasking, I am referring to the G2's Qslide and Galaxy Multiwindow.

Thanks!

Does native Android, such that this device would be running, have a good way of multitasking?

Haven't been on Android for two years so wanted to see what multitasking, if any, are available. In terms of multitasking, I am referring to the G2's Qslide and Galaxy Multiwindow.

Thanks!

Press and hold the home button?

Thanks!

Since we don't know what KitKat (Android 4.4) will bring to the table, we really don't know if they'll have an equivalent to MultiWindow/QSlide or not. I've never seriously used the MultiWindow feature on my Galaxy S3, so I actually have no desire for it on something like stock Android. If you really need such a feature, just get a G2 or wait for a galaxy S 5 or the Note 3 to come out. I highly doubt they'll implement something like that on stock Android for now, though quick toggles became a native Android feature as of 4.2, so you never know until it's out.

Press and hold the home button?

Hes not talking about the how to switch between different applications.  He is referring to Samsung and LG specific built in software features like Samsung's multiwindow which allows you to run 2 apps at the same time by sliding 2 apps to take up the screen and LG's QuickSlide apps that allow specific apps to run in its individual popup windows at the same time.

• Like 1

Since we don't know what KitKat (Android 4.4) will bring to the table, we really don't know if they'll have an equivalent to MultiWindow/QSlide or not. I've never seriously used the MultiWindow feature on my Galaxy S3, so I actually have no desire for it on something like stock Android. If you really need such a feature, just get a G2 or wait for a galaxy S 5 or the Note 3 to come out. I highly doubt they'll implement something like that on stock Android for now, though quick toggles became a native Android feature as of 4.2, so you never know until it's out.

That answers my question, thanks so much!

Not sure if I would use it either, but was just curious. How about videos or YouTube.. will those still play on stock Android if you start it then hit the home button? Probably my biggest pet peeves about iOS.

Oh and I apologize for the 'newbish' questions here, ya'll just know what you are talking about so I like to use S4GRU as much as possible lol.

Edited by sddabrow

Thanks!

Hes not talking about the how to switch between different applications.  He is referring to Samsung and LG specific built in software features like Samsung's multiwindow which allows you to run 2 apps at the same time by sliding 2 apps to take up the screen and LG's QuickSlide apps that allow specific apps to run in its individual popup windows at the same time.

In that case, I'm not sure.  Sorry.

That answers my question, thanks so much!

Not sure if I would use it either, but was just curious. How about videos or YouTube.. will those still play on stock Android if you start it then hit the home button? Probably my biggest pet peeves about iOS.

Oh and I apologize for the 'newbish' questions here, ya'll just know what you are talking about so I like to use S4GRU as much as possible lol.

Can you rephrase your question a little bit? What do you mean "will those still play"?

I can't remember off the top of my head, but from what I know, you can pause the youtube video or HTML 5 video from a browser, hit home, and then when you go back, you can unpause the video from where you left off.

Or do you mean, will the video still play in the background, even though you hit the home button (sound only since the screen is obviously taken up by the home screen)? I also can't remember off the top of my head, and since I my memory has it both working and not working my memory is obviously fuzzy and I don't know which is the truth :wacko:. I might try it later to see.

Can you rephrase your question a little bit? What do you mean "will those still play"?

I can't remember off the top of my head, but from what I know, you can pause the youtube video or HTML 5 video from a browser, hit home, and then when you go back, you can unpause the video from where you left off.

Or do you mean, will the video still play in the background, even though you hit the home button (sound only since the screen is obviously taken up by the home screen)? I also can't remember off the top of my head, and since I my memory has it both working and not working my memory is obviously fuzzy and I don't know which is the truth :wacko:. I might try it later to see.

Sorry, should have worded it better. Will the sound still come through, even though you are viewing your home screen (or any other app for that matter).

Sorry, should have worded it better. Will the sound still come through, even though you are viewing your home screen (or any other app for that matter).

That is a good question and it will be interesting to see if Google has something in store for us with Android 4.4 KitKat.  Currently I know as of Android 4.2.2 from personal experience that if you leave the Youtube app, the video becomes paused and the sound does not continue.  I know that Android 4.3 did not address this issue so maybe Android 4.4 will address this.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Well considering the new Nexus 5 will ship with Kit Kat 4.4 we don't really know what they will add.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

That's a really strange filling, they said it had band 7 (which isn't possible in the US given how that spectrum is setup) and band 5. I wonder if that is the world edition that will never be sold in the US.

They are probably trying to create one version of the phone to be sold in multiple countries.

I would actually get this phone if it's real. I'm really liking the Nexus experience on my Nexus 7, and I wouldn't mind it one bit on a phone. It'll be a sad day when i divorce HTC and Sense! Lol

-Luis

I briefly experienced the Nexus 4 and I liked it a lot better than the EVO LTE. If this phone comes to actuality with a decent price tag off contract I will be getting it for sure. My HTC One will be up for sale already! 

If it's in the background and you can't view it because you are looking at another screen, what is the point of YouTube playing in the background?

My main reason is that I watch a lot of phone reviews. I am interested in seeing parts of it but other parts I already know. So most of the time I just want to hear the viewers perspective. On 10-15 minute videos I would just like to be able to jump out of the video, continue to listen while I browse the web, then jump back in when I want to.

If it's in the background and you can't view it because you are looking at another screen, what is the point of YouTube playing in the background?

Back when I had the sensation I used to play music all the time on YouTube, it would let me turn off the screen and continue listening to the song.

-Luis

Make a playlist and it can replace a music streaming app.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Make a playlist and it can replace a music streaming app.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Ah, but then people would have to actually purchase (or pirate) their music, and the phone manufacturers would have to add back in microSD. Heaven forfend :rolleyes:

That is a good question and it will be interesting to see if Google has something in store for us with Android 4.4 KitKat.  Currently I know as of Android 4.2.2 from personal experience that if you leave the Youtube app, the video becomes paused and the sound does not continue.  I know that Android 4.3 did not address this issue so maybe Android 4.4 will address this.

I'm pretty sure this is the intended behavior for the time being although I'd like to be able to play videos in the background too.