Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

I believe Samsung makes the 64 bit A7 chip in the iPhone 5s

That's Samsung's foundry, a completely different operation than the chip design unit of Samsung semiconductor. Qualcomm doesn't technically make their own chips either they do it through someone else's foundry as well, in Qualcomm's case it's usually TSMC, though Samsung foundries have been rumored to make Snapdragons as well.

See if this makes sense.  Samsung is to the A7 as Foxconn is to the iPhone.

AJ

• Like 1

More good news...

We’ve spotted a log file of Android Key Lime Pie (also known as Kitkat) running on a Nexus 5. [...]

Below you can find multiple images taken from the log file.

[...]

• Updated with a list of sensors available in the Nexus 5 (Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Barometer, Game Rotation Vector, Motion detector, Step detector etc. etc.
  • Sprint hidden menu references in log
  • Like 1

Are not most Nexus phones similar to the original, the phone which it wad based on or has it been a custom build? I was looking forward to the Note3, but disappointed with the 1 lte. I have wanted a pure Android device so the Nexus 5 is most likely to be my next phone. May they make s triband Google edition N3!

sent from the tiny N2

That's Samsung's foundry, a completely different operation than the chip design unit of Samsung semiconductor. Qualcomm doesn't technically make their own chips either they do it through someone else's foundry as well, in Qualcomm's case it's usually TSMC, though Samsung foundries have been rumored to make Snapdragons as well.

I don't think they make any Snapdragons yet, but I do believe Samsung does make MDMs.

Are not most Nexus phones similar to the original, the phone which it wad based on or has it been a custom build? I was looking forward to the Note3, but disappointed with the 1 lte. I have wanted a pure Android device so the Nexus 5 is most likely to be my next phone. May they make s triband Google edition N3!

sent from the tiny N2

Note uses far too much samsung software to work properly as a google edition device.

think I'll be using my upgrade for this

you mean "IF" it is released on sprint?

out of curiosity, if it "DOES" get released for sprint, will it get nexus updates in a timely fashion like other nexus devices or will we have to wait months for sprint to add their bloatware crap to it???

you mean "IF" it is released on sprint?

out of curiosity, if it "DOES" get released for sprint, will it get nexus updates in a timely fashion like other nexus devices or will we have to wait months for sprint to add their bloatware crap to it???

well I know in the released documents that went through the FCC (assuming it was the Nexus 5), it was compatible with every carrier but Verizon. Granted Sprint did make mistakes with the previous Nexus but they may have made good with Google since then - then again maybe not. 

think I'll be using my upgrade for this

I'd assume the Nexus 5 will be sold direct from the Google Play Store at close-to-cost, like the other Nexus devices. The only way using a Sprint upgrade would make any sort of sense is if Sprint doesn't tack on $200+ to the SRP like T-Mobile did for the Nexus 4.

• Like 2

Unfortunately with my pay cut at work, the only way I will be getting a fancy new Triband phone is through the new Up program, so unless Sprint does sell the new Nexus in stores, I will just have to go for the G2 instead. Not that the G2 is bad in any way, but I haven't used plain Android since the Samsung Moment with 1.5..

Here are your leaks/rumors of the day, most building off those earlier mentioned from MyCE:

• KitKat is likely to include "themes" of some sort which will, at the very least, change the colors of the notification tray.
  • Miracast support is included and improved over past implementations.
  • 8MP camera (unknown whether it's stabilized or not).
  • 5-inch Full HD display, 442 ppi (potentially 4.97-inch) [Already pretty much knew this, but the confirmation is nice].
  • 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snadragon 800 [Also knew this].
  • 2GB RAM [Also knew this].

Geek.com is disappointed in the camera and battery capacity (when compared to the LG G2 the Nexus 5 is supposedly based off of) and speculates that keeping them slightly lower-end will allow the Nexus 5 to be priced around where the Nexus 4 was. But they obviously haven't seen real word performance from either, so take that with a chunk of salt.

Sources: Geek.com, C|net, Droid-Life

Bonus rumor:

Google Authenticator will have some sort of trusted bluetooth device mode, which would be truly awesome. Think two-step authentication without having to manually type in a unique code every time. Or possibly no lock screen when near a trusted computer.

The only info that really means anything is Sprint and Triband confirmation. Everything else is pretty much known or assumed mostly confirmed at this point.

The only info that really means anything is Sprint and Triband confirmation. Everything else is pretty much known or assumed mostly confirmed at this point.

We didn't really know much about the camera and confirmation of the specs is nice. The rumors regarding "themes" and trusted bluetooth devices is interesting but not a huge deal.

At this point the hardware is pretty much nailed down, aside from the various memory size and color permutations. Software is really all that's left to speculate about.

Since this is technically one model/SKU, wouldn't it be far more likely that all carriers are using same software(esp with only one source, play store).

If there were different models and sellers(like a sprint sold version, art, tmo) then I would assume the likelihood of one carrier lagging behind goes way up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I am sure the base model will be 16 GB with a 2300 maH battery.  The latest rumors have the camera at 8 MP which may or may not have the Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) feature.  I think the OIS is fantastic feature to have especially if people are starting to use their camera phones as point and shoot camera replacements.  I would be pretty bummed out if the Nexus 5 doesn't have OIS feature in the camera.

If the Nexus 5 is a 2300 maH battery there is no way I am getting this phone.  I just don't trust that a 2300 maH is good enough for my needs especially if you start streaming a lot of video.  

• Like 1

I am sure the base model will be 16 GB with a 2300 maH battery.  The latest rumors have the camera at 8 MP which may or may not have the Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) feature.  I think the OIS is fantastic feature to have especially if people are starting to use their camera phones as point and shoot camera replacements.  I would be pretty bummed out if the Nexus 5 doesn't have OIS feature in the camera.

If the Nexus 5 is a 2300 maH battery there is no way I am getting this phone.  I just don't trust that a 2300 maH is good enough for my needs especially if you start streaming a lot of video.  

Time to start looking for a new phone then. There will be only one battery configuration available, 2300maH, or I'll eat my hat  :D

• Like 1

Time to start looking for a new phone then. There will be only one battery configuration available, 2300maH, or I'll eat my hat  :D

All the speculation on the 2300 maH battery is based on a FCC filing for the rumored Nexus 5.  So it may or may not be 2300 maH. We won't know until they officially announce the phone.

But the speculating and complaints about the speculation is sooo much fun. In a sense, the consumer should be the "person" deciding howbig this or that is on the phone because the consumer woll be the one using it.

sent from the tiny N2