Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

In the leaked video of the Nexus 5, you briefly see that the phone is indeed connected to Google Services, before the bartender starts messing with the lockscreen. Also, it looks like the non-removable battery will be sub-par, as the device has (I think) 2% remaining and obviously needs to be charged. Not sure if its 4:30am or 4:30pm, but if its 4:30am then that's an extra 12 hours of battery life (assuming the device was not charging intermittently throughout the day. In any case, the engineer is an alcoholic (if it's 4:30pm he left work early to start drinking, and if its 4:30am he's been drinking all night long, lol).

ARDpfU7.jpg

I definitely would not draw any conclusions about the battery from these 3 second videos. People's charging habits differ widely, and this is almost certainly a preproduction prototype. When you say it's connected to Google Services, what do you mean aside from the phone having an Internet connection?

• Like 1

I'm just saying it as a comparison, you're right the screen will obviously be the biggest culprit. But the Nexus 7 (2013) has a 1920x1200 resolution screen, but it still has great battery life.

If the software can reduce battery usage, then the screen should be no problem.

-Luis

The larger the battery, the more efficiently the device draws current under load. If you swap out a 2000mAh battery with a 4000mAh battery, you will see more than twice the battery life. The same is if you swap out that 2000mAh battery with a 1000mAh battery: you will get substantially less than half the battery time. 

I definitely would not draw any conclusions about the battery from these 3 second videos. People's charging habits differ widely, and this is almost certainly a preproduction prototype. When you say it's connected to Google Services, what do you mean aside from the phone having an Internet connection?

I didn't draw any conclusions, I am just making some educated guesses based on the small amount of intel at hand. I made the comment about connecting to Google Services after reading comments in another forum that said the phone wasn't connecting to Google Services because the network icon was white, so some people missed the few frames in the beginning that showed otherwise. You can also see the roaming icon in the videos, but what that means, if anything, is beyond me.

I can't believe people don't understand this yet. Even the Android blogs got confused by this. :td:

I don't think its weird that tech blogs gets confused by this.  Until the LG G2 and Moto X, all the Android smartphones besides the Nexus phone series have always had capacitive buttons outside of the screen and not onscreen buttons so the resolution was always listed as the full 1920x1080.  Only if you want to get technical do you start subtracting the real estate from the onscreen buttons and the status bar(really?????) that you get that obscure resolution number of 1794x1080. 

I don't think its weird at all and to be honest, most folks would rather just have the specs list the resolution of the full screen regardless of the space taken up by the onscreen buttons and status bar.

The larger the battery, the more efficiently the device draws current under load. If you swap out a 2000mAh battery with a 4000mAh battery, you will see more than twice the battery life. The same is if you swap out that 2000mAh battery with a 1000mAh battery: you will get substantially less than half the battery time. 

No shit Sherlock.

Talk about pointing out the obvious  :rofl:

I think your reading way too much into a brief video.

The real gas guzzler is the 5", IPS, backlit LCD panel running at 1080 x 1920. Ain't so software that can reduce that power consumption!

Actually there is! According to Arstechnica (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/09/lgs-g2-smartphone-gets-caught-living-in-the-shadows-of-giants/2/ ) the LG G2 manages just fine:

"One of the more interesting additions to the G2 is a battery saving trick called "panel self refresh." PSR works by including a small amount of graphics RAM, and when the screen isn't changing, the phone will save the static image to the graphics RAM and shut down the GPU. The biggest power usage in a phone is always the display, but every little bit counts."

• Like 2

The Nexus 4 had a 2100 maH battery so I didn't follow the Nexus 4 that much but I assume it had good battery life.

My Nexus 4 has pretty crummy battery life. Worst battery life of any phone I've had since GS2.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

My Nexus 4 has pretty crummy battery life. Worst battery life of any phone I've had since GS2.

So do you have much faith that the rumored 2300 maH battery in the Nexus 5 would be suffice?

This would worry me greatly, but, as partially quoted above from Ars, this phone is based on the G2, which apparently is getting good battery life...

The G2 is going to be the basis for the next Nexus device, so this hardware is of particular interest.

The battery life is great. It lasted 11 and a half hours in our battery test, which continually loads a series of webpages every 15 seconds until the phone dies. The screen stays on the entire time. One of the more interesting additions to the G2 is a battery saving trick called "panel self refresh." PSR works by including a small amount of graphics RAM, and when the screen isn't changing, the phone will save the static image to the graphics RAM and shut down the GPU. The biggest power usage in a phone is always the display, but every little bit counts.

11.5 hours with the screen on!? The G2 is has a 3000 mAh battery, so if the same tricks are used in the Nexus and the hardware is similar, the Nexus' 2300 mAh battery should last 8.8 hours with the screen continuously on. Keep in mind the Nexus 5's screen will actually be smaller. Not too shabby.

AnandTech did a solid, in-depth explanation of PSR, and it looks to have the potential to really help out with battery life. Let's hope is makes it to the Nexus 5.

I'll also add that AnandTech was absolutely amazed by the G2's battery life, which bodes well.

• Like 1

Not only that but you have to factor in not just the software but the hardware as well.  The Nexus 7 (2012) and Nexus 7 (2013) is not an apples to apples comparison.  The Nexus 7 (2012) had the Tegra 3 chip built on 40 nm die size with Cortex-A9 vs. Nexus 7 (2013) had Qualcomm S600 chip built on 28 nm LP (low power) die size with Cortex-A15 cortex.  The 28nm chip is going to use a lot less power than the 40 nm chip.

The Nexus 4 had a 2100 maH battery so I didn't follow the Nexus 4 that much but I assume it had good battery life.

Nexus 4 was good when in idle, but as Robert said above it is horrible when using data such as youtube, web browsing. The high resolution will hurt battery life but how is the Snapdragon S4 Pro in the Nexus 4 vs. the Snapdragon 800 in terms of power consumption? 

This would worry me greatly, but, as partially quoted above from Ars, this phone is based on the G2, which apparently is getting good battery life...

11.5 hours with the screen on!? The G2 is has a 3000 mAh battery, so if the same tricks are used in the Nexus and the hardware is similar, the Nexus' 2300 mAh battery should last 8.8 hours with the screen continuously on. Keep in mind the Nexus 5's screen will actually be smaller. Not too shabby.

AnandTech did a solid, in-depth explanation of PSR, and it looks to have the potential to really help out with battery life. Let's hope is makes it to the Nexus 5.

I'll also add that AnandTech was absolutely amazed by the G2's battery life, which bodes well.

What type of screen is the Nexus 5 rumored to have? The HTC One in my opinion is a little disappointing when it comes to battery life. I have noticed WiFi drains the ONE more than leaving it on 3g or 4g.

I don't think its weird that tech blogs gets confused by this.  Until the LG G2 and Moto X, all the Android smartphones besides the Nexus phone series have always had capacitive buttons outside of the screen and not onscreen buttons so the resolution was always listed as the full 1920x1080.  Only if you want to get technical do you start subtracting the real estate from the onscreen buttons and the status bar(really?????) that you get that obscure resolution number of 1794x1080. 

I don't think its weird at all and to be honest, most folks would rather just have the specs list the resolution of the full screen regardless of the space taken up by the onscreen buttons and status bar.

Also keep in mind that when watching a video the on screen buttons go away and it becomes the listed 1920x1080.

What type of screen is the Nexus 5 rumored to have? The HTC One in my opinion is a little disappointing when it comes to battery life. I have noticed WiFi drains the ONE more than leaving it on 3g or 4g.

Haven't seen rumors on the screen technology specifically; hoping they carry over whatever they used in the G2 because its screen has been widely praised. The Nexus 4's screen was a shared component with the OG. In this case, the Nexus 5's screen is rumored to be 5" while the G2's is 5.2", so it can't be a shared component if the rumors are true. Doesn't mean the technology can't be the same.

Also keep in mind that when watching a video the on screen buttons go away and it becomes the listed 1920x1080.

I see.  I just wish they would just announce the screen resolution of the phone as what you would use in apps.  I mean like who cares what the screen resolution is on the home screen. 

This sounds very impressive.  11.5 hours of the screen ON consistently while loading a webpage every 15 seconds  :w00t: .  I wonder if this is result of the GRAM that LG has touted about which they say saves processor power.  This is even more of a reason to get the LG G2.  I am curious if LG/Google will add this same battery saving functionality to the Nexus 5. 

If you are LG, why the hell would you do this if it works so well on the LG G2.  I mean this could definitely get you more market share once more and more people throw out more reviews that boast the LG G2 battery life.

I see.  I just wish they would just announce the screen resolution of the phone as what you would use in apps.  I mean like who cares what the screen resolution is on the home screen.

Wouldn't that be the same minus a little for the apps that use boarders? I am sure app developers try to optimize their apps to give the best image.

Wouldn't that be the same minus a little for the apps that use boarders? I am sure app developers try to optimize their apps to give the best image.

No no I am arguing that the phone specs should read that the resolution of the Nexus 5 is 1920x1080 instead of the actual 1794x1080 resolution.

EVDO roaming shouldn't be a problem at all, although whether or not Sprint permits it in the PRL is a separate issue.

LTE roaming I think has to be programmed into the SIM. Theoretically Sprint has reciprocal LTE roaming with CSpire and a few others, but I doubt they'll enable it simply because you'd go through your roaming limit in a few seconds.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I doubt they'll enable it simply because you'd go through your roaming limit in a few seconds.

Especially when you consider new plans have 100MB roaming limit.

Robert

EVDO roaming shouldn't be a problem at all, although whether or not Sprint permits it in the PRL is a separate issue.

LTE roaming I think has to be programmed into the SIM. Theoretically Sprint has reciprocal LTE roaming with CSpire and a few others, but I doubt they'll enable it simply because you'd go through your roaming limit in a few seconds.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Robert

So it sounds like LTE isn't gonna happen. Have recent Sprint PRLs for similar phones allowed for roaming on Verizon's EV-DO recently?

So it sounds like LTE isn't gonna happen. Have recent Sprint PRLs for similar phones allowed for roaming on Verizon's EV-DO recently?

You can with corporate accounts.

Robert

Maybe in the future LTE roaming will be throttled to something like 1mbps? That way you can't burn through your limit, but you still get to keep the latency benefits of LTE?