HTC One max [Tri-Band] (was "HTC "Phablet" aka "T6"")

themuffinman

That's the exact sort of facts I wanted to know.  Thank You!  If RF performance isn't that great, I wouldn't even consider owning one. 

It makes a big difference to me how well a device works at the cell edge, fringe areas... How well can you hear a conversation, can you see the screen well in sunlight...  and so on. 

But you also have to keep in mind that what you may read on paper may not necessarily translate to problems in the real world.  If you really like the One Max or any other device then go and try it out yourself and see how it performs.

• Like 1

But you also have to keep in mind that what you may read on paper may not necessarily translate to problems in the real world.  If you really like the One Max or any other device then go and try it out yourself and see how it performs.

This is very true.

Everyone should keep in mind that -- while we believe S4GRU to be an accomplished site -- it is not influential enough to be sampled review handsets.  We have to analyze publicly released FCC docs and purchase review handsets on the open market.  If we had the financial wherewithal to acquire 10 or so current handsets and test them simultaneously on active lines, we would.  But that is outside the current realm of possibilities.  So, take our FCC OET handset info as sources of education, not means for definitive conclusions.

AJ

• Like 5

That's the exact sort of facts I wanted to know.  Thank You!  If RF performance isn't that great, I wouldn't even consider owning one. 

It makes a big difference to me how well a device works at the cell edge, fringe areas... How well can you hear a conversation, can you see the screen well in sunlight...  and so on. 

I would suggest you go try the HTC One Max at the store just to see if it fits your needs.  Like others have reiterated, real world performance vs. numbers you see are sometimes better than expected. 

I agree with you both. 

I'm finding that today, it is kind of a crapshoot buying a new handset.  Take for instance my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3.  That particular device would receive 1X or "no service" inside the building where I work.  My Verizon Motorola Droid Bionic gets a low LTE signal in the same place.  At least that handset did not look that good on the FCC docs.  The same phone that was a Sprint version did much better in weak signal areas even being 1900 MHz reception. 

I guess there isn't a guaranteed way to tell before you try them - but then it could be a $35 restocking fee...

No one wants to pay a restocking fee. But I always like to stress that you cannot put a set price on knowledge. A $35 fee may very well be worth it.

AJ

This is very true.

Everyone should keep in mind that -- while we believe S4GRU to be an accomplished site -- it is not influential enough to be sampled review handsets.  We have to analyze publicly released FCC docs and purchase review handsets on the open market.  If we had the financial wherewithal to acquire 10 or so current handsets and test them simultaneously on active lines, we would.  But that is outside the current realm of possibilities.  So, take our FCC OET handset info as sources of education, not means for definitive conclusions.

AJ

Fingers crossed, handsets should be reveiewed through this site (at least for Sprint Phones) before any other.  I hope you are reading Dan/Masa...

on that note, perhaps we can have a handset review donation section started.

No one wants to pay a restocking fee. But I always like to stress that you cannot put a set price on knowledge. A $35 fee may very well be worth it.

AJ

Yes, I agree. 

This is very true.

AJ

How awesome would it be if this site actually had hands on write up's of real world network performance from the masters themselves! I have yet to find a site that reviews devices from the RF Behavior/Performance standpoint.

How awesome would it be if this site actually had hands on write up's of real world network performance from the masters themselves! I have yet to find a site that reviews devices from the RF Behavior/Performance standpoint.

No one is stopping you from creating an article and throw it up to Robert to see if it can be posted on the Wall.  You can be the pioneer for this idea of yours.

It would be.. but I'm sure "the masters themselves" would like to have some free time once in awhile.. remember, they earned all that knowledge somehow. Sharing it here costs them time and doesn't help out their wallet. One reason this site is top-notch is because it has evolved to a point where legitimate contributions (not just articles, but even helpful forum responses) come from so many different people..

-Mike

• Like 2

I'd write a review, but I'd be afraid of what I might read in the staff forum after poking around there with my new contributing author privileges.

I don't recall you ever being the subject of Staff displeasure. We don't gossip as much as you may think. Typically just the people on their way to being banned.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Does the one max on Verizon have only one transmission path like the Sprint version?

Current Sprint handsets are tri band CDMA2000 and tri band FDD/TDD LTE.  Even previous Sprint handsets have been tri band CDMA2000 and single band FDD LTE.

On the other hand, VZW handsets are, at best, dual band CDMA2000 and dual band FDD LTE.  Most in the field are still dual band CDMA2000 and single band FDD LTE.  For those reasons, VZW handsets -- including the HTC One max -- stick with SVLTE.

AJ

• Like 1

Current Sprint handsets are tri band CDMA2000 and tri band FDD/TDD LTE.  Even previous Sprint handsets have been tri band CDMA2000 and single band FDD LTE.

On the other hand, VZW handsets are, at best, dual band CDMA2000 and dual band FDD LTE.  Most in the field are still dual band CDMA2000 and single band FDD LTE.  For those reasons, VZW handsets -- including the HTC One max -- stick with SVLTE.

AJ

AJ, do you think Verizon still releases SVLTE devices since they don't have LTE Release 9 or 10 which contains the eCSFB "handover" method and haven't deployed eCSFB on a nationwide scale yet.  I know Verizon first deployed LTE on LTE Release 8 which only has the eCSFB "redirection" method which wasn't ideal and going forward the "handover" method is preferred. 

If Verizon doesn't have eCSFB deployed on its LTE towers at this time that could explain why they still release dual radio LTE phones. Are we sure the reason for Verizon SVLTE phone is as simple as just dual band vs. triband LTE issue?  Like if Verizon deployed LTE on PCS and had 700/AWS/PCS LTE, would that automatically force Verizon to deploy single radio LTE phones? I think we know why Sprint is moving towards single radio LTE phones because they have LTE Release 9 software and are making and paying for the steps now to be more compliant with VoLTE as well as build the S102 tunnel. 

AJ, do you think Verizon still releases SVLTE devices since they don't have LTE Release 9 or 10 which contains the eCSFB "handover" method and haven't deployed eCSFB on a nationwide scale yet.  I know Verizon first deployed LTE on LTE Release 8 which only has the eCSFB "redirection" method which wasn't ideal and going forward the "handover" method is preferred. 

If Verizon doesn't have eCSFB deployed on its LTE towers at this time that could explain why they still release dual radio LTE phones. Are we sure the reason for Verizon SVLTE phone is as simple as just dual band vs. triband LTE issue?  Like if Verizon deployed LTE on PCS and had 700/AWS/PCS LTE, would that automatically force Verizon to deploy single radio LTE phones? I think we know why Sprint is moving towards single radio LTE phones because they have LTE Release 9 software and are making and paying for the steps now to be more compliant with VoLTE as well as build the S102 tunnel. 

It's not JUST that it's triband, it's that the third band is using TD-LTE.

What are initial thoughts on the phone, just played with it in a sprint corp, seems pretty snappy. I'm itching to try the triband in Columbus, Ohio.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I'm enjoying using the One Max quite a bit.

There is a noticeable decrease in RF senstivity compared to the LG G2 and especially the Nexus 5. For me, it isn't a huge deal as I typically am in areas with good Sprint coverage.

The speakers are definitely louder than they are on the HTC One. As for missing Beats Audio, it didn't affect BoomSound/headset jack performance. In my car, I have to turn the volume down compared to my other devices as it provides a lot more power to my auxiliary input.

Screen is amazing. HTC has been using really high quality screens since the HTC One X/Evo LTE and they didn't do anything different with this device.

Battery life is beyond what I expected out of any phone. Yesterday after I got home from work my battery was at 79% and that's after being unplugged for 9 hrs while actually using my device moderately. Sending messages and brief calls and Facebook/Instagram. Noticeably better than the Galaxy Note 3 I had. Your mileage may vary on this one.

Call quality is actually improved compared to the HTC One as well. The audio sounds more clear compared to my G2 as well. Ironically, it is quieter than the G2. Perhaps an update will make it louder, but for now call quality sounds better but at a lower volume.

LTE performance is mediocre. It isn't bad, but it isn't the stellar performer we had come to expect from the Galaxy Note 2 and Nexus 5. When I connect, it doesn't randomly drop or disconnect too early. I think this device ignores LTE signals that are low in favor of having a more stable data connection. My device will typically fall back to eHRPD when the connection reaches around -118 dBm. This is ok with me as I would rather have a solid EV-DO connection over a weak LTE signal anyway. Again your mileage may vary.

The removable "battery cover" is a pain in the rear to put back on properly. You have to ensure that battery cover switch is exactly where it is when the cover is removed. If it isn't then the cover isn't on correctly, and if you're OCD like me you'll notice it won't sit flush with the rest of the phone. I installed my 64GB SanDisk and it is performing as expected.

During use the phone stays surprisingly cool. I watched 2 shows back to back (streaming over WiFi while plugged in) and it barely got warmer than body temperature. I do have a thin case on as well, perhaps an Otter Box would create more heat. For now, I am pleased with the way this device manages how warm it gets.

No random rebooting or freezing has been observed yet. It seems pretty stable. The little multitasking quirks of late HTC devices are still present. When going in and out of apps it will sometimes "forget" where you are and restart the app, for example. Not a biggie for me as I'm always removing recent apps from the multitasking window anyway.

In conclusion I would recommend this device to someone who either has really large hands or to someone willing to deal with the extremely large size. This is definitely a 2 handed device. Things like texting require 2 hands, Swype or not. It is very hefty as well. I appreciate its solid and dense feel, but holding the device for extended periods of time can get tiring. Size aside, it's much like the HTC One. Just tri band and a negligably different version of Sense.

Am I going to keep it? We shall see. So far I'm very satisfied with this device.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

• Like 11

I'm enjoying using the One Max quite a bit.

There is a noticeable decrease in RF senstivity compared to the LG G2 and especially the Nexus 5. For me, it isn't a huge deal as I typically am in areas with good Sprint coverage.

The speakers are definitely louder than they are on the HTC One. As for missing Beats Audio, it didn't affect BoomSound/headset jack performance. In my car, I have to turn the volume down compared to my other devices as it provides a lot more power to my auxiliary input.

Screen is amazing. HTC has been using really high quality screens since the HTC One X/Evo LTE and they didn't do anything different with this device.

Battery life is beyond what I expected out of any phone. Yesterday after I got home from work my battery was at 79% and that's after being unplugged for 9 hrs while actually using my device moderately. Sending messages and brief calls and Facebook/Instagram. Noticeably better than the Galaxy Note 3 I had. Your mileage may vary on this one.

Call quality is actually improved compared to the HTC One as well. The audio sounds more clear compared to my G2 as well. Ironically, it is quieter than the G2. Perhaps an update will make it louder, but for now call quality sounds better but at a lower volume.

LTE performance is mediocre. It isn't bad, but it isn't the stellar performer we had come to expect from the Galaxy Note 2 and Nexus 5. When I connect, it doesn't randomly drop or disconnect too early. I think this device ignores LTE signals that are low in favor of having a more stable data connection. My device will typically fall back to eHRPD when the connection reaches around -118 dBm. This is ok with me as I would rather have a solid EV-DO connection over a weak LTE signal anyway. Again your mileage may vary.

The removable "battery cover" is a pain in the rear to put back on properly. You have to ensure that battery cover switch is exactly where it is when the cover is removed. If it isn't then the cover isn't on correctly, and if you're OCD like me you'll notice it won't sit flush with the rest of the phone. I installed my 64GB SanDisk and it is performing as expected.

During use the phone stays surprisingly cool. I watched 2 shows back to back (streaming over WiFi while plugged in) and it barely got warmer than body temperature. I do have a thin case on as well, perhaps an Otter Box would create more heat. For now, I am pleased with the way this device manages how warm it gets.

No random rebooting or freezing has been observed yet. It seems pretty stable. The little multitasking quirks of late HTC devices are still present. When going in and out of apps it will sometimes "forget" where you are and restart the app, for example. Not a biggie for me as I'm always removing recent apps from the multitasking window anyway.

In conclusion I would recommend this device to someone who either has really large hands or to someone willing to deal with the extremely large size. This is definitely a 2 handed device. Things like texting require 2 hands, Swype or not. It is very hefty as well. I appreciate its solid and dense feel, but holding the device for extended periods of time can get tiring. Size aside, it's much like the HTC One. Just tri band and a negligably different version of Sense.

Am I going to keep it? We shall see. So far I'm very satisfied with this device.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.  Awesome reading.

• Like 2

I agree with The Chemist. I appreciate you writing this brief review.

I'm torn

I have mammoth hands and have only used HTC android devices in the past. I really want a HUGE phone.

Not a fan of Samsung's TW or their spotted radio history. No Galaxy Mega

I like the G2 but it's a bit small and not convinced of LG's ability to provide (any) updates.

Hate the fingerprint scanner (yes, it can be disabled) and would like a solid performer on the camera front. It may be time to move away from HTC.

This review throws the One max's hat back into the ring for me.

Thank you for taking the time to write it.

• Like 1

Funky,

What case do you have if any?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I have an Otterbox commuter and a cheap blue body glove. I ordered a Poetic Invictus case and it should arrive early December. For now I'm rocking this phone naked

• Like 1

I have an Otterbox commuter and a cheap blue body glove. I ordered a Poetic Invictus case and it should arrive early December. For now I'm rocking this phone naked

Glad you are digging the One Max.  Fortunately I will be getting one sometime next week to test for a few weeks, couldn't pass up the opportunity.  I am a little nervous because its so big but I am sure I will get use to it.

I am a little nervous because its so big but I am sure I will get use to it.

That's what she said.

You walked right into that one!

:P

AJ

• Like 5

That's what she said.

You walked right into that one!

:P

AJ

Damn it.................

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I ran as fast as I possibly could, head first, right into that one.

• Like 1