HTC One max [Tri-Band] (was "HTC "Phablet" aka "T6"")

themuffinman

How did you like the one max overall? Was it too big? How's the display etc.......

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The HTC One Max is a big phone but the feel of it wasn't as bad as I thought in terms of the grip.  IMO its still too big for me but it is not as ridiculous as the Galaxy Mega.  No doubt it is bigger than the Note 3.  The display looks nice and in terms of software, it doesn't really feel that much difference at all from Sense 5 on the HTC One.  

I was sad about the ##3282# dialer code under LTE since it didn't have an option to enable B25, B26 and B41 LTE bands unlike the Samsung and LG phones.  Instead the silver lining is that they do have an option called "LTE Scan Frequency" with a value of "300" under the "LTE Record" menu.  I take this 300 to be in seconds which means the LTE scan frequency by default is every 5 minutes.  With your MSL, you should be able to change that value to 120 seconds or 2 minutes so that LTE will be picked up more often.

I purposely hogged the demo unit so that I could download the Sprint Spark update but no one was interested in it and after the Spark update, I didn't see anything different except that the 3G/4G icon and the introduction Sprint splash screen that says Sprint Spark.  No Sprint Spark bloatware was loaded.

I did the same Sprint Spark update on the Galaxy Mega and I can confirm that after the Spark update, the LTE bands for B25, B26, B41 in the ##DATA# menu were all set to enabled.

• Like 4

So while I wait for my nexus, should i also upgrade one of my other lines to the one maxx?

Uh, Maxx? Hey buddy, this is no Droid RAZR.

AJ

• Like 4

I wish the G2 had a scan interval setting like the HTC One Max does. Weird about the band priority screen being missing. I guess since they already have the Spark update for it, the lack of a screen to adjust it isn't as big of a deal.

I wish the G2 had a scan interval setting like the HTC One Max does. Weird about the band priority screen being missing. I guess since they already have the Spark update for it, the lack of a screen to adjust it isn't as big of a deal.

I still wish that Sprint and the OEMS would work out a standard set of engineering screens to put in all their LTE devices so that there is some consistency.  It doesn't make sense that LG, Samsung and HTC each have a different set of engineering screens.

I still think having the option to know which LTE bands are enabled and the band priority is still valuable information.  I would gladly trade the LTE scan frequency in the HTC One Max for the the LTE band enable/disable capabilties in the Samsung and LG phones.

So I went to the Sprint store today and played with the one max.the spark icon spins only when using data and it looks like it shows LTE signal not 3G.

Sprint should have made it so that the spark icon only appeared when in spark areas only.

• Like 1

Sprint should have made it so that the spark icon only appeared when in spark areas only.

This would make more logical sense, but on the other hand, many people won't be able to differentiate when they are in a Spark location or not. People would just think they are receiving the same service as someone in an active market. The more you differentiate services the more you could potentially confuse, and frustrate customers. "Why does someone else have that spinning icon and not me? I have the same phone!" would be the mindset behind why they probably will just leave it on regardless of market.

I hope that made sense. 

-Luis

• Like 1

This would make more logical sense, but on the other hand, many people won't be able to differentiate when they are in a Spark location or not. People would just think they are receiving the same service as someone in an active market. The more you differentiate services the more you could potentially confuse, and frustrate customers. "Why does someone else have that spinning icon and not me? I have the same phone!" would be the mindset behind why they probably will just leave it on regardless of market.

I hope that made sense. 

-Luis

How would you not notice a difference? The speeds in a Spark location should blow away a LTE location. 

How would you not notice a difference? The speeds in a Spark location should blow away a LTE location.

If you are actively testing the speed test then yes. But in everyday use its perceived the same. Honestly speeds above 3 Mbps there is very little noticeable performance improvement.

-Luis

• Like 1

Does anyone know if this is what Sprint refers to as a "World Phone?"  I'm just wondering if it could be used in Mexico. Thanks!

I can not speak for using it specifically in Mexico, but it is an international (world mode) triband phone according to Sprint, along with the nexus 5 and g2: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/phone_wall.jsp?INTCID=AB:HERO:110813:PICWE:960x320

The G2 offers one more band while the nexus offers 8 more bands: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?p=4292%2C4312%2C4215 , of couse that depends on whether you use sprint internationally or wish to insert another sim. If you are going to use Sprint, set it up in advance of your trip (data plan recommended) and write down the international service number in case you have troubles.  In general, international coverage has gotten alot better in the last few years, at least with Europe, China, and Guatemala from my direct experience.

Others in this forum may have more details and expertise.  Hopefully this is helpful.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if this is what Sprint refers to as a "World Phone?"  I'm just wondering if it could be used in Mexico. Thanks!

Of course it is, its just a matter of getting your sim unlocked and determining what frequencies the network you want to use it on will support.

• Like 1

I wish all Sprint LTE phones including the single band LTE phones had the LTE scan interval setting.  The fact that the HTC One Max shows 300 seconds for the default setting tells me that all the other LTE phones (single or triband) thus far have the default scan interval every 300 seconds.  I find the duration to be a bit too long.  I would customize it to scan every 120 seconds instead.  I understand that Sprint is not trying to drain battery by not constantly sending out a LTE search command too often especially in the earlier stages of NV where LTE was more scarce.  But as time goes on and Sprint fills in the LTE gaps, the 300 second interval shouldn't be as bad but I wish you could still change it though.

But then again, I don't like the fact that the HTC One Max doesn't have the LTE bands priority screen missing.

Are you going to do an article on the HTC One Max? Or is it a bit late?

It would be awesome to read an article on the HTC One Max.

Well, what do you want to know about the HTC One max?

We often run teaser articles now because the writing staff does not have time to do full length articles, but we want to get the scoop out there ASAP.  Then, when staff does have time to follow up with full length articles, the relevant info has already been shared in The Forums.  And that obviates the need for full length articles.

So, barring staff being able to work at S4GRU full time, I think that we will run fewer full length articles.  The upshot, though, is that you guys have learned a lot and become good at sharing the info that staff previously had to disseminate.

AJ

• Like 2

Well, what do you want to know about the HTC One max?

We often run teaser articles now because the writing staff does not have time to do full length articles, but we want to get the scoop out there ASAP.  Then, when staff does have time to follow up with full length articles, the relevant info has already been shared in The Forums.  And that obviates the need for full length articles.

So, barring staff being able to work at S4GRU full time, I think that we will run fewer full length articles.  The upshot, though, is that you guys have learned a lot and become good at sharing the info that staff previously had to disseminate.

AJ

Yes, ... and thanks to the staff for the education I/we am getting here!  My compliments!  The material on this site is outstanding and very well done.

A teaser article would be nice.  I'd rather gather information here from S4GRU than read it somewhere else.  The staff here are experts and I trust what I read and learn. 

I'd like to know about the RF performance phones have so I can make an educated purchase decision when it comes time.  Many sites dwell on the "gee whiz" stuff and forget that utmost and foremost, the device is a phone and has to perform as such.  Things I personally find important are: Radio/Antenna performance, Sound Quality and lastly a brief feature overview.  

Just my $0.02 

To offer a "teaser," I have not viewed the HTC One max authorization documents in a few weeks, but I can say that the uplink RF did not look impressive.  In particular, the band 41 TD-LTE 2600 performance appeared weak.  So, take that for what you will...

AJ

• Like 2

To offer a "teaser," I have not viewed the HTC One max authorization documents in a few weeks, but I can say that the uplink RF did not look impressive.  In particular, the band 41 TD-LTE 2600 performance appeared weak.  So, take that for what you will...

AJ

That's the exact sort of facts I wanted to know.  Thank You!  If RF performance isn't that great, I wouldn't even consider owning one. 

It makes a big difference to me how well a device works at the cell edge, fringe areas... How well can you hear a conversation, can you see the screen well in sunlight...  and so on. 

• Like 2