SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Its it possible see -72 reading and not connect to lte . Think they were testing my tower . My tower not on lte yet but saw crew inside and siganal check pick up signal new pci i saw, but now no readings.

Sure, I will look into it; just to be sure we are on the same page, you are seeing this when you export a log with plain text timestamps, correct? When importing to Excel, conversions are handled by Excel so I cannot control how it appears. And the database itself stores date/time information as seconds from the Unix epoch, not plain text dates.

-Mike

Correct it is a problem in the plain text.

I have been loading the log directly into notepad++ and using replace [," ] with  [,"] to remove the additional spaces.

The space only shows up at the beginning of the month where the string length is a value shorter (1-9) than other cases (10+).

Mike I just pulled a new log and noticed a lot of null gci data as well. Also I noticed two date formats in the log? If you want I can send you a copy?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Haven't been able to find time to get online much recently, but I did change the plain text date format to force a two-digit day. It was previously using the date format for your locale; it is now hardcoded. Hopefully it doesn't mess anything up for my international friends.

I am also aware of the issue with null entries in the Site Log. I think there are a couple of different things causing that; something new and something that was probably happening before but not noticed.

I'm not going to be around much for the next 3-4 weeks as I have many work and family commitments crammed into a very short period of time. All of it is very good, just limits my free time. But by early February, I'll have a raise, masters degree, new brother-in-law, nice tan from the Caribbean, and (hopefully) frostbite from another Boston championship parade.. ;)

-Mike

• Like 13

Just a quick look but it looks like it's putting the neighboring sites pci with a null gci in the log

If this is really what is going on, this would actually be super useful to me. Please don't remove it Mike!

If this is really what is going on, this would actually be super useful to me. Please don't remove it Mike!

I don't think that is what is happening.. at least that's not what I'm seeing on my N5 or on user reports. The biggest issue is that sometimes the various IDs (PLMN, GCI, PCI) do not immediately report new values simultaneously when you switch sites. So it might record a PCI with a null/incorrect GCI, or a PCI+GCI but null/incorrect PLMN. I'm trying to figure out the best way to resolve it without missing legitimate data. It's tricky because it is inconsistent.

-Mike

• Like 3

I don't think that is what is happening.. at least that's not what I'm seeing on my N5 or on user reports. The biggest issue is that sometimes the various IDs (PLMN, GCI, PCI) do not immediately report new values simultaneously when you switch sites. So it might record a PCI with a null/incorrect GCI, or a PCI+GCI but null/incorrect PLMN. I'm trying to figure out the best way to resolve it without missing legitimate data. It's tricky because it is inconsistent.

-Mike

These types of  issues are happening across the three main apps used in the Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati markets using numerous phone types.  They seem to happen with SCP the most, Signal Detector the least, and LTE Discovery falls in the middle. SCP logs are more reliable than SCP screen shots.   I have taken the approach of being gentle with new sites when it fits the GCI pattern, tough on missing or changed PCIs.   That is the PLMN must match, must have the right TAC for the site.  I was thinking that some of the missing GCIs might be neighbor sites seen just for a instant.   We are getting to the point with these logs that we are also capturing sites as they change during setup and tuning (I can see this across several phones and apps for the same site).  This backs up UPdownLOad's assertion.

A field showing how many hits for a particular record in the log might also be useful.  Many of these errors may simply not have a large enough sample size.  Even G2's typically should the correct PLMN for a clear site 80% of the time, which this would also handle.

Thanks for all your work.

FYI, SCP is the least intrusive in terms of privacy and seems to have very low battery consumption when operating in the background.

• Like 2

Haven't been able to find time to get online much recently, but I did change the plain text date format to force a two-digit day. It was previously using the date format for your locale; it is now hardcoded. Hopefully it doesn't mess anything up for my international friends.

I am also aware of the issue with null entries in the Site Log. I think there are a couple of different things causing that; something new and something that was probably happening before but not noticed.

I'm not going to be around much for the next 3-4 weeks as I have many work and family commitments crammed into a very short period of time. All of it is very good, just limits my free time. But by early February, I'll have a raise, masters degree, new brother-in-law, nice tan from the Caribbean, and (hopefully) frostbite from another Boston championship parade.. ;)

-Mike

Congrats on all that. Have a blast!!
  • Like 1

These types of issues are happening across the three main apps used in the Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati markets using numerous phone types.

It does not seem to be market or vendor-specific; I think is just how the network and Android operate. I'm sure that all three apps are using the same collection of standard Android routines, so we are all susceptible to it.

A field showing how many hits for a particular record in the log might also be useful. Many of these errors may simply not have a large enough sample size.

This is exactly what I am testing now. Combined with some user-specified options, it should resolve 99% of the issues. I can't change how the network or devices behave, so I have to find the best way to work with the data that will be seen in the wild. There are numerous checks within the app to ensure what is being reported is valid, it's just a matter of balancing the error-checking properly to make sure too much is not being filtered out.

FYI, SCP is the least intrusive in terms of privacy and seems to have very low battery consumption when operating in the background.

Very happy to hear that! One of my priorities is to make sure it's as lean and efficient as possible. It's not a terribly useful app if you need to be plugged in to use it. Thanks!

-Mike

• Like 3

Mike, we wish to use SCP's user notes to get around the use of offsets in the base station location for 3G 1x1900 and 1x800.  Columbus has almost all BIDs identified, Cincinnati has most, and Cleveland is getting rolling.

What are the data fields (items) must we supply to pull this off with SCP?

(Sorry if this has been asked before).

:thx:

• Like 3

Mike, we wish to use SCP's user notes to get around the use of offsets in the base station location for 3G 1x1900 and 1x800.  Columbus has almost all BIDs identified, Cincinnati has most, and Cleveland is getting rolling.

What are the data fields (items) must we supply to pull this off with SCP?

(Sorry if this has been asked before).

I am not sure what you are asking for.. are you looking to manually create/edit a SignalCheck database file in order for 1X notes to properly appear? If so, the "sites_cdma" table just needs unique "_id" values for each row (typically start at 1 and increment), and "sid", "nid", and "bid" to be filled in accordingly.

-Mike

• Like 1

Is there much of a possibility that band 25 and band 26 will show up as separate sites in some markets? In chicago my notes for band 25, 26 and sprint 41 are consistent on a per site basis. While in south Florida though, I either was connecting to a ton of brand new sites, or notes for band 25 and band 26 aren't going across. I didn't see the same problem with sprint 41 for some reason.

Is there much of a possibility that band 25 and band 26 will show up as separate sites in some markets? In chicago my notes for band 25, 26 and sprint 41 are consistent on a per site basis. While in south Florida though, I either was connecting to a ton of brand new sites, or notes for band 25 and band 26 aren't going across. I didn't see the same problem with sprint 41 for some reason.

Ericsson sites use a completely different GCI for b26 on the same site.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

hey if i clear my logs...

will that kill my notes??

Just not so sure Supervisor wants that long string everytime i email him when i have gone by new towers

Yes. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to post a quick update.. I officially finished my master's program this week, the raise is coming, and I leave for my sister's Caribbean beach wedding tomorrow. Oh, and there was a parade today...  :P

After I get home next week, things will get back to normal -- I'll be on here all the time, and work on SignalCheck will resume. Thanks for your patience!

54cf05d09ce34.image.jpg

-Mike  B)

• Like 19

Just wanted to post a quick update.. I officially finished my master's program this week, the raise is coming, and I leave for my sister's Caribbean beach wedding tomorrow. Oh, and there was a parade today...  :P

After I get home next week, things will get back to normal -- I'll be on here all the time, and work on SignalCheck will resume. Thanks for your patience!

-Mike  B)

Bring me back a shirt please!!!!!

Can I pay someone to make a db for me? I've had no luck making one.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

If I find the time and get it to work on android I might be able to help. If I do try and make one tonight I will post a link in the Madison premier thread.
  • Like 1