SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

No at least not in pittsburgh market the same pci is shared between all the band. No way to tell with just a pci.

Now I know that the Toledo market isn't as strange as I thought as it also uses the same PCIs on all 3 bands...You folks have it ridiculously easy to accurately track PCIs ;-)

New beta looks great!  All my major issues appear to be corrected. :)

Excellent! Sadly the duplicate GCI bug is not gone.. I thought it was, but this morning I have several bogus entries in there. Back to the drawing board on that one..

Mike, have you considered Android wear support? would be awesome to see certain notifications from signal check on my Moto 360.

Yep! There are just some things ahead of it on the priority list. I need to get support for regular Lollipop working properly before I start extending out to fancy stuff like Wear. It's been a great week of (overdue) progress though, so we're getting there..

-Mike

• Like 5

Excellent! Sadly the duplicate GCI bug is not gone.. I thought it was, but this morning I have several bogus entries in there. Back to the drawing board on that one..

Yep! There are just some things ahead of it on the priority list. I need to get support for regular Lollipop working properly before I start extending out to fancy stuff like Wear. It's been a great week of (overdue) progress though, so we're getting there..

-Mike

You da man Mike, let me know where I can donate some extra coin to the cause...

You da man Mike, let me know where I can donate some extra coin to the cause...

Much appreciated. But I've always considered the purchase price your lifetime pass, nothing more is necessary. If I was relying on this to get rich, the project would have ended 2 years ago! If you really want to make a donation related to the cause, you can find the appropriate link on the upper right-hand corner of this page..

-Mike

• Like 11

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, this thread is getting pretty big. Have you considered adding a WiFi notification option to the status bar, similar to what you have for cellular technologies?

So after the recent beta update (4.274b) my tri-band S3 decided to start showing neighbor cells, well sorta  ;), maybe this is a step in the right direction as far as getting the PCI to show up on Samsung devices pre-4.4.4?

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, this thread is getting pretty big. Have you considered adding a WiFi notification option to the status bar, similar to what you have for cellular technologies?

Getting big? I think that happened awhile ago since we're at over 3,100 posts and counting! I do have plans to improve the WiFi features of the app. Notification options are on the list, as is an option for "real time" WiFi updates, instead of just updating when the cellular signal changes like it does now. Just been trying to focus on improving the primary features, like LTE and logging.

So after the recent beta update (4.274b) my tri-band S3 decided to start showing neighbor cells, well sorta  ;), maybe this is a step in the right direction as far as getting the PCI to show up on Samsung devices pre-4.4.4?

Ha, it must be a secret! Does it always say 1, or does it change at all? There really isn't anything I can do about the missing PCI, it just reports an invalid value..

-Mike

• Like 1

Ha, it must be a secret! Does it always say 1, or does it change at all? There really isn't anything I can do about the missing PCI, it just reports an invalid value..

-Mike

No, the amount of neighbor cells will change depending on where I am and especially when I am on the edge of a site sector. 

Just a quick kudo: The Thursday beta removed 1,253 Null GCIs from my log,  and appears to have worked flawlessly all the way from Chicago to Philly by car. 

Mike,  if we could just fix your sports affiliations, you'd be a great guy! 

• Like 1

For figuring which market OEM for second carrier. 

Market prefixes 

ALU            002-033

Ericsson    034-075

Samsung  076-0B3

????          0B4-0BB

Mixed         0BC-0FE

A lot of the Mixed are in a PM I mike so please no wall of screenshots (for example Shentel is OFE and it's ALU).

• Like 2

Mike, the latest beta has issues with updating signal values on non-Sprint SIMs.  I tested with a T-Mobile SIM and an AT&T SIM and both on both of them the statusbar icon did not update until I opened the app, and the app didn't update while I was viewing the screen.  The only way I could get it to update is to leave the app and open it again.

Mike, the latest beta has issues with updating signal values on non-Sprint SIMs. I tested with a T-Mobile SIM and an AT&T SIM and both on both of them the statusbar icon did not update until I opened the app, and the app didn't update while I was viewing the screen. The only way I could get it to update is to leave the app and open it again.

Thanks for the heads up. What device(s) was this on? Were they connected to LTE, or another connection type? I've tested it on my Nexus 5 with T-Mobile and it seems to work fine, and I also have some AT&T beta users that haven't reported any issues.

-Mike

Thanks for the heads up. What device(s) was this on? Were they connected to LTE, or another connection type? I've tested it on my Nexus 5 with T-Mobile and it seems to work fine, and I also have some AT&T beta users that haven't reported any issues.

-Mike

Nexus 5, Android 5.1.  Happens with LTE, HSPA and GSM.

Nexus 5, Android 5.1.  Happens with LTE, HSPA and GSM.

Thanks. Does the current public version (4.27) work fine? Trying to think of what I changed recently or what would have been changed in 5.1 that would affect non-CDMA devices like that..

If anyone else on AT&T or T-Mobile would like to join the beta crew to also help work this out, please PM me.

-Mike

Thanks. Does the current public version (4.27) work fine? Trying to think of what I changed recently or what would have been changed in 5.1 that would affect non-CDMA devices like that..

If anyone else on AT&T or T-Mobile would like to join the beta crew to also help work this out, please PM me.

-Mike

Yes, I can replicate the issue in the public version.

Not sure if this has been asked.... will Signal Check Pro report T-Mobile's LTE B12?  I'm wondering if it'll show once I get the band enabled on my Nexus 6 after the 5.1 update.

Right now its included in the beta build (4.272b and above), see the change log here for additional upcoming goodies.

• Added indicators for T-Mobile LTE band 12.
  • Like 1

-Mike

Mike this same thing is happening on my Nexus 6 on Sprint.  The only way I get signal to show up at the top is to open up the app then it appears (otherwise I just have dashes up there).  So its not just other carriers. 

<p>

Right now its included in the beta build (4.272b and above), see the change log here for additional upcoming goodies.

• Added indicators for T-Mobile LTE band 12.
Awesome, thanks! Looking forward to the update!

Not sure if this has been asked.... will Signal Check Pro report T-Mobile's LTE B12? I'm wondering if it'll show once I get the band enabled on my Nexus 6 after the 5.1 update.

Sort of. As has been mentioned countless times, there's no standard method to get the actual LTE band in Android, so apps rely on identifying GCI patterns to make educated guesses. Unfortunately T-Mobile is not consistent with this method, so it's not as reliable as band identification on Sprint or AT&T. I'm trying to get it so if SCP shows a band, it's definitely correct.. if it can't be certain, I'd rather have it not show a specific band. Too many people are showing LTE Discovery screen shots next to conflicting engineering screen shots. I do not want to go down that road.

Mike this same thing is happening on my Nexus 6 on Sprint. The only way I get signal to show up at the top is to open up the app then it appears (otherwise I just have dashes up there). So its not just other carriers.

I'm convinced your phone has a mind of its own.. you have more issues than anyone else that I can't seem to replicate!!

S4T, seeing "1 neighboring site" always in scp beta. Current firmware doesn't report pci.

Still looking into this. Neighbor cells are very mysterious on some devices; it's hard to determine what's going on. Trying to see if I can at least get it to show the dB of whatever neighbor cell it might be seeing.

As you guys can see, there are a lot of different isolated issues that I have been trying to resolve. I've been spending a ton of time on them with not many results, but I am working on it, and hopefully will have some sort of update soon..

-Mike

• Like 8