SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Hi Mike, just curious about something. I have an HTC Sprint M7, and a while back after an OS update, I lost the ability to see the GCI, PCI, and TAC through Signal Check Pro. I'm still unable to see these in SCP, however in the LTE Discovery app, I can see all three of those values. In SCP, it just tells me those values are invalid or missing. Just curious how that app can see them, but SCP can't. Thanks.

Hi Mike, just curious about something. I have an HTC Sprint M7, and a while back after an OS update, I lost the ability to see the GCI, PCI, and TAC through Signal Check Pro. I'm still unable to see these in SCP, however in the LTE Discovery app, I can see all three of those values. In SCP, it just tells me those values are invalid or missing. Just curious how that app can see them, but SCP can't. Thanks.

Hmm that's unusual.. are you seeing something that says "invalid" or is it just not on the screen? Are you on the latest update (late December)? Send me a diagnostic report when you are connected to LTE (About > Send Diagnostics); please make sure to include your username on the report. 

-Mike

Hmm that's unusual.. are you seeing something that says "invalid" or is it just not on the screen? Are you on the latest update (late December)? Send me a diagnostic report when you are connected to LTE (About > Send Diagnostics); please make sure to include your username on the report.

-Mike

It's not on the screen. When I trap the lte area, it says invalid or missing. I am on the latest update. I just sent the diagnostic to you. Thanks.

70ea207700b21ab068e1b6b879bdd44f.jpg

It's not on the screen. When I trap the lte area, it says invalid or missing. I am on the latest update. I just sent the diagnostic to you. Thanks.

Are you on Lollipop?  I don't think SCP is at full compatibility with 5.0 Lollipop, Mike?

Are you on Lollipop? I don't think SCP is at full compatibility with 5.0 Lollipop, Mike?

I am on lollipop. Completely stock, not rooted. However, I can see all the info in the LTE Discovery app.

Are you on Lollipop?  I don't think SCP is at full compatibility with 5.0 Lollipop, Mike?

Most of the lingering issues with Lollipop are related to notifications/alerts. If there is a Lollipop-induced glitch with LTE site identities, it's probably because the OEM messed up their system software. But...

I am on lollipop. Completely stock, not rooted. However, I can see all the info in the LTE Discovery app.

I just saw your report; SignalCheck is seeing all of the LTE identity data as null. Off the top of my head, I don't recall others with an M7 to have similar issues. And I believe that LTE Discovery uses the same routines that I do, so that's a head-scratcher. I'll look into some things and may send you a PM later.

-Mike

• Like 2

Most of the lingering issues with Lollipop are related to notifications/alerts. If there is a Lollipop-induced glitch with LTE site identities, it's probably because the OEM messed up their system software. But...

I just saw your report; SignalCheck is seeing all of the LTE identity data as null. Off the top of my head, I don't recall others with an M7 to have similar issues. And I believe that LTE Discovery uses the same routines that I do, so that's a head-scratcher. I'll look into some things and may send you a PM later.

-Mike

Mike,

I am on Lollipop with an S-5 and I do see the line with GCI, PCI TAC.   All the info is there.

• Like 1

I know this was discussed a couple pages back but I'd be in favor of an option to keep Signalcheck off the lock screen notifications on Lollipop (S5). Just takes up a slot for actual incoming notifications since we only have 3.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

• Like 3

I know this was discussed a couple pages back but I'd be in favor of an option to keep Signalcheck off the lock screen notifications on Lollipop (S5). Just takes up a slot for actual incoming notifications since we only have 3.

Me 2nd.  Same on Note 4 with Lollipop.

I believe mikejeep said he was working on it. :)

• Like 3

I'm no longer getting any notification sounds for certain bands being connected to on my LG G3 after upgrading to 5.0.1. Is anyone else having this problem on the same device or any other?

--EDIT--

Nevermind. Found the answer.

Edited by SeanK_
  • Like 1

I don't have access to the beta but a suggestion.. The notification bar text ends up being so small, I think the 1900 indicator should be left off. We can get an idea of what band we are on just by the length of the text above. Showing just LTE for 1900 is clear.

Maybe there should even be an option to leave off the signal strength and just show 25 / 26 / 41 in the bar.

I don't have access to the beta but a suggestion.. The notification bar text ends up being so small, I think the 1900 indicator should be left off. We can get an idea of what band we are on just by the length of the text above. Showing just LTE for 1900 is clear.

I initially had the same exact thought. However, I've had an overwhelming number of requests to explicitly indicate B25, so I added it. You still have the option to either show the band (i.e. 25/26/41) or the frequency (1900/800/2500); showing the band is a bit easier to see because I was able to make the font larger. It's tricky because it's a very small area to work with and we all want a ton of information up there.

Some users will continue to see just "LTE" throughout SignalCheck; that is because the app is unable to determine exactly which band you are on for one reason or another. For Sprint users, it would be because your device is unable to grab the GCI or you're on a site that is broadcasting an ID that I haven't identified.  On other providers, I don't have full information on their network configurations, and with some (notably T-Mobile) there are some overlapping identifiers, so instead of cluttering up the screen or going with a guess that I already know might be wrong, I'm keeping it simple. 

On another note, I think I solved the blank site note / duplicate log entry issue that's driving many of us nuts! Going to do some more testing on it tonight.. fingers crossed..

-Mike

EDIT: I just noticed that you edited your post.. there are already several different options for the status bar icons like you suggested. Check out Preferences > Status Bar Icons and adjust the styles to your liking.

70ea207700b21ab068e1b6b879bdd44f.jpg

Mike I have the same issue on my nexus 6.  This has happened more and more as Sprint has been turning on the LTE broadcast on towers that also serve 1x800 for me. 

Mike I have the same issue on my nexus 6.  This has happened more and more as Sprint has been turning on the LTE broadcast on towers that also serve 1x800 for me. 

So you are not seeing the GCI/PCI/TAC line? In travisc's case, his device was reporting everything as null but somehow LTE Discovery was seeing it, which has me scratching my head. Which device are you on? Do you happen to use LTE Discovery also? Trying to find the common theme.. I haven't tweaked anything with that code recently.

-Mike

So you are not seeing the GCI/PCI/TAC line? In travisc's case, his device was reporting everything as null but somehow LTE Discovery was seeing it, which has me scratching my head. Which device are you on? Do you happen to use LTE Discovery also? Trying to find the common theme.. I haven't tweaked anything with that code recently.

-Mike

pretty much.  When I am connected to certain towers ill see similar to what he is seeing.  My phone says im connected to LTE, but Im not.  Signalcheck will display both 1x800 and LTE but will not display anything for the GCI, but does show a TAC/PCI.  I get nearly the same message.  Also note I am still on 5.0.1 and have not received the 5.1 update yet on my Nexus 6. 

I will download LTE discovery tonight.  I have been clearing my phone preparing for the android 5.1 update so when it comes to my Nexus 6 I can have a clean update and not worry about as many issues.  I generally uninstall most apps and reinstall after the updates so if I do have an issue I can isolate it to said app.  So I will let you know this weekend what LTE discovery shows me.

Mike, I was wondering if you could get 3G in SCP to behave more like LTE: User Note to display for the entire site (all sectors, including 1x800) and to place the User Note at the bottom of the "paragraph". Even better would be if it no longer displayed bsl if a user note was present

Currently a note only applies to one 1x1900 or 1x800 sector. I have screen shots if you need them.

We are getting ready to display the real site location for some members in several markets using sid nid bid. Thanks

• Like 4

Hi, Mike,

The new second carrier ID feature is nice, but slightly off-center in certain markets like Chicagoland. This may be generic to Samsung markets. In Chicago, on both B25 and B41, the first carrier has GCIs ending in hex 00, 01, and 02. The second carrier has GCIs ending in 03, 04, and 05, which I know that you know. The current beta does not identify 03 as 2nd carrier, which I am guessing is either a minor hiccup on your part, or a problem caused by AlcaLu and/or Ericsson markets.

Also, when do you think you might have a beta test for the dreaded "Null GCI" feature. More than half of the GCIs I see are currently being reported as null. I'm about to drive to Philly and back, and would love to be able to track a bajillion sites. Just asking.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood an earlier post. Re-reading, I don't see anything suggesting you are on the trail of the Null GCI gremlin. Hope I'm wrong.

As always, thanks for all the work you keep putting in. Signal Check just keeps getting better and better (no thanks to Lollipop!).