Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Today I allowed black friday deals to talk me into upgrading my phone and resigning. I got the LG G2. oh boy what a difference. Started my day in green bay with speeds from 1.17 Mbps down to 2.79 on the not fully officially launched LTE up there. appleton area I hit around .3 Mbps down. The really exciting part was in Fon Du Lac, where the official LTE got me 4.88 Mbps down!

I worked out in Waukesha from 3pm till 1130pm tonight I got on average 1.5 Mbps down, from waukesha to the Hail interchange pretty much. from hail to down town averaged speeds at .25 Mbps down. Down town Milwaukee got 2.4, and now on the east side near bradford getting anywhere from .7 - 1.5 down.

Im not picking up LTE in Milwaukee or waukesha, in areas mapped on sensorly, or from the towers on the map, but as ive read here thats cause something is up with the tri band phones, ill be looking at that thread sometime soon ish. 

It amazes me how the switch in phones makes a difference as before I got .02 down where ever I went!

Hey, folks. I have a question pertaining to your market. I'm from Chicago and I plan on visiting Devil's head ski resort in Merrimac around Christmas. Has anyone been there recently and can report service quality? Is it roaming or native around that area? Thanks.

Hey, folks. I have a question pertaining to your market. I'm from Chicago and I plan on visiting Devil's head ski resort in Merrimac around Christmas. Has anyone been there recently and can report service quality? Is it roaming or native around that area? Thanks.

When I was on the Merrimac ferry in September, I was getting native voice service running on 800, data was 3g, but decent. Went to devil's lake then, occasionally had LTE from Baraboo. At the time, had better service there than in the Milwaukee area.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Solid 1x800 signal (from the Rock FWY 1-43 National Ave tower in New Berlin) at home for the last couple of days now. Getting a very weak 4g upstairs from at tower miles West in the Mukwonago area but it is hard to hold. Cannot wait till these local towers get 4g turned on.

How can you figure where you're getting an lte signal from? I've been getting a weak signal from an unknown tower allover my house for the last couple days. It's always the same gci so I know it's the same tower. I would like to know which tower it is though since I'm quite a ways out from any known accepted towers.

I used two separate apps and they both are listing the network tower in the general area of where the Sprint tower is on Hwy 67 just off of 59 in Mukwonago.. I seems crazy that I am picking up 4g from that distance, but it has been confirmed by both LTE discovery and open signal. It is miles away, maybe its not right but the signal is very weak at best. It also looks like it is 3g only on the map so who knows... 

How can you figure where you're getting an lte signal from? I've been getting a weak signal from an unknown tower allover my house for the last couple days. It's always the same gci so I know it's the same tower. I would like to know which tower it is though since I'm quite a ways out from any known accepted towers.

I used two separate apps and they both are listing the network tower in the general area of where the Sprint tower is on Hwy 67 just off of 59 in Mukwonago.  Site ID: *see sponsor map*. I seems crazy that I am picking up 4g from that distance, but it has been confirmed by both LTE discovery and open signal. It is miles away, maybe its not right but the signal is very weak at best. It also looks like it is 3g only on the map so who knows...

As far as I know, the apps only give the location of the 1x/voice tower that you are connected to.  3G and 4G towers could be completely different.  The only way I've seen to figure out the LTE tower you're connected to is to drive around and get the serving cells for each sector of the tower you think is broadcasting: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2198-network-visionlte-new-orleans-market/page-38?p=90231&do=findComment&comment=90231

Even that isn't right either. I'm connected for voice to a tower a lot closer than what the app told me. It pointed straight North and said the tower was just under 3 miles away. There isn't a tower there for me. That's farm fields...

As has been pointed out before in this thread, legacy/pre-NV sites in the Milwaukee market show 3 offset 1X locations for each tower, due to obsolete emergency-response requirements. NV-compliant sites in the market, at least those with 1X800, appear to broadcast their true locations. So depending on where you around Milwaukee, you may or may not see the actual site location in Signal Check or one of the other mapping apps. However, LTE sites do not broadcast any location information, so you must correlate the serving cell or cell ID (depending on whether you have an HTC, a Samsung, an iPhone, or whatever). People in some markets (e.g., New Orleans and St. Louis) have built spreadsheets showing the cell IDs, serving cells, cell name, and location, but I don't think anyone in Wisconsin has done that.

That I was aware of. I thought I had read it was hard to get the exact location but not impossible. Guess I'll just have to wait for my home tower to go live instead of chasing a phantom signal.

You can get a close approximation by driving around a site and collecting all 3 reported locations, then triangulating them, but that is a PITA. There really isn't an easier way that I know of.

This was covered like two pages ago. Some low density towers, such as this one can be 3g complete by only upgrading the ground equipment. I believe they call it GMO (Ground Mount Option)? In this case, they can be 3g complete, and the remainder of the upgrades (1x800, 3g 800, and LTE 1900 and 800) will come at a later time.

That's correct, they are called GMOs, and they do not have new NV Antennas, but do have new base stations and RRUs ground mounted next to the base. However, some of these sites are capable of 1900 LTE with the old antennas. We have a GMO broadcasting LTE here in Springfield, at a site that I didn't think was capable of that, so sometimes they surprise you. GMOs are generally pretty low on the priority list for getting LTE, so that's likely the exception rather than the rule. 

I'm getting LTE from what has to be the Prairie St. tower in Madisons southwest side. Pretty strong signal inside my friends house here. Too strong to be any other. This is new. Anything going on downtown Madison?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I'm getting LTE from what has to be the Prairie St. tower in Madisons southwest side. Pretty strong signal inside my friends house here. Too strong to be any other. This is new. Anything going on downtown Madison?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Nothing from the W. Wash tower

I'm connected to 1x800 at my girlfriend's house on hwy100 and janesville road in hales corners. I've never connected before. Signal check says bsl is 9710 w loomis road. It's nice to see something/ANYTHING happening in this area. Looking forward to LTE lighting up soon?

I think its very likely this is what is happening with the Vernon high power lines. When I compared the photos for the GMO on this site I noticed the Samsung cabinets matching. I didn't get out of the car so next time I am going to try and see if I can find the ground RRU's. I do know the Samsung programmer was out there and this tower is on the NV upgrade map so we will see.....

That's correct, they are called GMOs, and they do not have new NV Antennas, but do have new base stations and RRUs ground mounted next to the base. However, some of these sites are capable of 1900 LTE with the old antennas. We have a GMO broadcasting LTE here in Springfield, at a site that I didn't think was capable of that, so sometimes they surprise you. GMOs are generally pretty low on the priority list for getting LTE, so that's likely the exception rather than the rule. 

LTE live in Muskego. South tower on College near Janesville. I don't have the patience to figure out how to get pics in my posts right now but my first speed test was 17mg d 10mg up, and my 2nd was 22mg d 6.9 up... The West side of Muskego is not live with LTE yet, although this is the first time I am getting 1 x 800 off the water tower so I assume it is coming soon. Please let me know if the Mooreland 1-43 or Calhoun tower has done anything. I also did not get LTE from the 1-43 National Ave Rock Fwy tower today either, but that has been a consistent 1 x 800 for about 4 days now.

I am a new customer (as of the 26th) in Baraboo.  I have been roaming the streets with Sensorly, trying to fill out the map.  Unfortunately, the 4G LTE coverage in Baraboo isn't all that great for a launched market.  There really are only two places in town where you can pull in 4G, downtown and on the outskirts of town by Hwy 12 and Cty. Hwy W. 

I will take a ride out to Devil's Head sometime soon and try to remember to provide an answer for you.  I certainly wouldn't expect 4G out there, but it does seem as though the native voice network is pretty decent around here. 

Give me a few days and I'll post some signal information and speed tests at the resort.

I am a new customer (as of the 26th) in Baraboo.  I have been roaming the streets with Sensorly, trying to fill out the map.  Unfortunately, the 4G LTE coverage in Baraboo isn't all that great for a launched market.  There really are only two places in town where you can pull in 4G, downtown and on the outskirts of town by Hwy 12 and Cty. Hwy W. 

I will take a ride out to Devil's Head sometime soon and try to remember to provide an answer for you.  I certainly wouldn't expect 4G out there, but it does seem as though the native voice network is pretty decent around here. 

Give me a few days and I'll post some signal information and speed tests at the resort.

Just hang in there. Once 800 MHz LTE is launched (should be by Jan/Feb I think I read for Samsung completion) coverage will drastically improve. In my new house I used to have no service and had to get an Airave, but now that 1x800 has been launched I have 4 bars. LTE will be much the same when 800MHz goes live.

Just hang in there. Once 800 MHz LTE is launched (should be by Jan/Feb I think I read for Samsung completion) coverage will drastically improve. In my new house I used to have no service and had to get an Airave, but now that 1x800 has been launched I have 4 bars. LTE will be much the same when 800MHz goes live.

Good to hear.  I get 1x800 voice pretty much all throughout Baraboo and haven't had any dropped calls so in terms of voice I have no complaints.  Also, I get exceptional LTE coverage at my house, only 4-5 blocks north of downtown on a south facing hill.  I regularly get 30-35 meg down and 10-15 meg up. 

I also have noticed that even when I'm showing a very, very poor LTE signal, I can get pretty good speeds.  It is just a pain to get dropped to 3G as often as I do.  I'm coming from a 3G phone on Verizon though, so honestly I don't feel like I can complain too much!  :)