Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

4g lit up on my 2nd floor in Vernon. Signalcheck pro shows wales tower on hwy 18 and 83. I am about 9mi away. Has this tower been 4g for a while? Seems like a long ways away. I test 6.5mg down crappy up. I will test again and update..

4g lit up on my 2nd floor in Vernon. Signalcheck pro shows wales tower on hwy 18 and 83. I am about 9mi away. Has this tower been 4g for a while? Seems like a long ways away. I test 6.5mg down crappy up. I will test again and update..

Yes, that has been live since August.

Been holding 4g for 10min now. Last test 7.4mg down 1mg up. Sigcheck still shows wales tower 9 mi away. Is signal check pretty accurate on tower location? I have never gotten 4g at my home until tonight

Signal Check does not show the LTE site location (the site doesn't broadcast it), and the GS4 doesn't report the Cell ID. Are you referring to the 1X location? If so, it is completely unrelated to the LTE site, and the 1X and LTE locations may be miles apart. If you are seeing 1X800 in Signal Check, the 1X and LTE sites may be many miles apart.

Your download speed suggests you are fairly close to whatever site is feeding you with LTE.

Signal Check does not show the LTE site location (the site doesn't broadcast it), and the GS4 doesn't report the Cell ID. Are you referring to the 1X location? If so, it is completely unrelated to the LTE site, and the 1X and LTE locations may be miles apart. If you are seeing 1X800 in Signal Check, the 1X and LTE sites may be many miles apart.

Your download speed suggests you are fairly close to whatever site is feeding you with LTE.

Thanks for clearing that up for me... I went to my LTE Discovery app this morning and was able to capture 2 sites in GPS coordinates. My assumption is by using Google Maps that my 1st hit was the 164 59 Waukesha LTE which I know has been around for a while, strangely though I have never connected before.... Here is the better news, the 2nd and 3rd were from the Muskego tower in the industrial park off of Racine Ave. Neither of these would be consider close to me though (approx. live where the 164 and 1-43 closed down Mobil station is in Vernon)  and I am unable to keep the 4g signal on the main floor of my home. My hope here is the remaining towers in my area start to go live as I am only about 3 miles from the Racine And National tower that had been broadcasting 1x800 for a week or so now. Looks like the southern Waukesha county area is finally going to see some activity, please let me know if anyone around here is seeing similar. I will be doing some driving around today..  

At work today, no more then 1/2 from the Racine Ave Muskego water tower and no more LTE. Drove all around this both sides of Muskego this morning with no alarms. Guess this was an overnight test, we will see what happens tonight. Last test at my home in Vernon was 8.1mg down and 5.12 up, pretty impressive for a tower located 4 + miles away.

ha ha, I was just thinking that.  Madison hasn't changed at all.

Strike that, one tower went from yellow to green, the tower in McFarland by the Madison Curling Club. I updated my gif for towers, but will wait until the others change too.

The towers are creeping in on the Milwaukee area for sure! 

I just want lte on my g2 everywhere I go. =/ I held lte to the back of my local Walmart today with usable speeds to boot. I wasn't exactly far away from the tower but when I worked there only us cellular was known to have signal throughout the store.

Edit. I still think Racine is 800 complete and just not showing as such on the signalcheck app. I've tried uninstalling and then re-downloading the app and I get the same thing. I don't know how I would be connecting to a tower all the way across town without being on 800. When I was driving towards a known 4g tower my phone skipped right over it at first and connected to one that is NV according to sprint but the app wouldn't reflect that. It's really bugging me as to what the hell is going on here...

I believe with Madison they saw 800 then shortly after lte. I'd hope only a few days separation between the two so we'll see.

Some sites if I remember do 800 during the day then lte at night for a few days for testing and then one morning they just leave them both on. With the weak signal I really doubt it's my home tower. I live a half mile from it so to get -115 or so doesn't really seem right.

I believe with Madison they saw 800 then shortly after lte. I'd hope only a few days separation between the two so we'll see.

Some sites if I remember do 800 during the day then lte at night for a few days for testing and then one morning they just leave them both on. With the weak signal I really doubt it's my home tower. I live a half mile from it so to get -115 or so doesn't really seem right.

That's sort of what happened on my home tower... 800 Friday morning, LTE Friday night.  Both have stayed on since then.

Well, it looks like most, if not all, of Waukesha / Pewaukee / Brookfield has 1x800 today! I was in my company's other office location on Capitol & Springdale Rd and all of the sudden I got the little 1x800 ding from signal check. and between there and my way back to the other office next to the Waukesha airport, I connected to 3 different sites broadcasting 800!

xKmaJxe.pngMqqp6kI.pngVci6qm3.png

I've been lurking here for some time and still can't believe how bad sprint has handled the Milwaukee area with WiMAX (in the past ) & lte rollout. Downtown Milwaukee has less than .25 megabits speeds on 3G. How can this company continue to charge people for data when their data is almost useless... It's so bad I have to walk around with a tMobile lte mifi for data.

I guess I am venting... next summer is where I make me decision to leave or be a sucker for another two years. I am just worried once sprint has a built lte network all the mvno's will have access to their lte causing terrible speeds. Oh well.

• Like 1

I've been lurking here for some time and still can't believe how bad sprint has handled the Milwaukee area with WiMAX (in the past ) & lte rollout. Downtown Milwaukee has less than .25 megabits speeds on 3G. How can this company continue to charge people for data when their data is almost useless... It's so bad I have to walk around with a tMobile lte mifi for data.

I guess I am venting... next summer is where I make me decision to leave or be a sucker for another two years. I am just worried once sprint has a built lte network all the mvno's will have access to their lte causing terrible speeds. Oh well.

Well, it has shown. Sprint has been losing subscribers for years now. By the time you're ready to upgrade next summer, Sprint should have a rocking-awesome network. Just remember that Sprint has far more spectrum than any other carrier, and they're finally going to put that to work. I just read an article recently that Verizon's LTE network is so bogged down in some markets that it's kicking people back to 3g. So Sprint has more spectrum and less customers than the other carriers, I'd hope that equation equals great capacity.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/13/verizon-capacity-issues-lte-major-cities/

@aackmann thanks for the article.

I've been hearing about that. Towerstream corp, a WiMAX company, from what I read, has been talking to cell companies to provide WiMAX hotspots to cell users to areas where data is bogged down. Not sure how that will all work, but I founded interested

Does anyone have thoughts on how long from overnight LTE testing to full on live usually takes.? From all I can tell this site has is not broadcasting 1x800 either. Not sure how that has been taking in the Milwaukee market.

Does anyone have thoughts on how long from overnight LTE testing to full on live usually takes.? From all I can tell this site has is not broadcasting 1x800 either. Not sure how that has been taking in the Milwaukee market.

Well, it could be a long time, but in Madison, which are the same crews (install, testers, etc.) in the Milwaukee area, we had 1x800 overnight, then it went all day.  Then that following night we had LTE overnight sporadically.....then 24 hours later it was on and stayed on.  Then they came back 2 weeks later and took all the legacy gear down.