Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

So question. I am in River Hills, and in the Field Test screen on my 5s I am on "Secondary 800 MHz Band." I am connected to sprint service. Does this mean that I am finally on 1x800?!?!?!?

SID - 22418

NID - 224

Base ID - 58929

I hope this is 1x800!!!

So question. I am in River Hills, and in the Field Test screen on my 5s I am on "Secondary 800 MHz Band." I am connected to sprint service. Does this mean that I am finally on 1x800?!?!?!?

SID - 22418

NID - 224

Base ID - 58929

I hope this is 1x800!!!

Sounds like you are on the coveted 1X800 voice spectrum. Congrats!

I have some interesting results to show. Like i said previously today, i started to get 1x800 last night like most of you. I was not able to get LTE though (inside house). 

On my way to work this morning i held 1x800 all the way from my house, which is near Sunset and Grand ave in waukesha, all the way to 43 & Racine where i get on the on ramp. On the way home, i got 1xRTT until i forced it to toggle airplane mode at HWY59 & Racine. 

Being the curious guy i am, i thought i would force my Nexus 5 to LTE only mode for the rest of the trip to see how long i could hold LTE for. 

It looks like i held it ALL THE WAY home...didn't lose it once. Keep in mind, i don't believe this is a connection to any 4G accepted tower nearby...which there are not.

The interesting thing is, Signal Check did not list the connection as LTE. I ran a speedtest and got low results, but i did get a connection. 

What do you make of the following screenshots?

KKaFImEl.png

O7Wenh8l.png

J4peAYXl.png

I can create a tapatalk account using twitter, but i can not sign into S4GRU in tapatalk with with my twitter account.

I don't think you'll be able to log in with twitter for S4GRU. Unfortunately, that only works for the master Tapatalk account.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My GS3 has been locked onto 800 all day anywhere I've been... Sussex, Pewaukee, Waukesha (near the Airport and Woodmans).  I do notice at home that signal is a little worse than 1900 though... seems to be bouncing between two towers now, water tower in Sussex and the one off of Duplainville/Lisbon in Pewaukee (used to only connect to the latter).  Data speeds are better where I've ran speed tests, but latency has been mostly around 500ms... lower when I was on the WCTC tower.  No new LTE, just connected to towers that have already had it for awhile.

Either in this thread or another one on this site a comment was made about towers that are on power line structures take longer to update. That probably explains why the two Delafield area towers I drive by every day haven't been touched -- They are both above power lines.

Yeah, that was me... taking information from 2 antenna installers at two separate sites it sounds like the High Power towers require special attention. (no real surprise) One told me work often has to be scheduled way ahead of time and the window of time they have to complete is very small, another said the will often do the work at night as WE Energies has to bring power down on the lines. I am not familiar with this process at all, but most they said seems to make sense. So we hang... Vernon, Delafield ... and others I am sure... I have a nice tower right down the road that has room... USE IT

Hmm.. Is it possible to have a site 3G accepted but not have NV equipment or at least antennas? I swear the two Delafield towers marked 3G complete do not have NV antennas.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Yes it is, if it is a GMO (ground mount option). This means they mount new RRUs right next to new base stations, but leave the legacy antennas. This is generally done when a site either require too much extra engineering to get new antennas on the site, or it is a low capacity, low priority site. Generally, after the first phase of Network Vision is complete, they will come back and go through the extra engineering to get the site fully NV compatible. Unfortunately, this also means the site is low priority for getting LTE activated. It likely will see LTE eventually, but not as quickly as a full build site.

You may need to confirm that NV antennas are actually lacking before we can say for sure it's a GMO site.

Even though GMO sites may not get LTE initially, there are some benefits to the new equipment. For one, the T1's used for voice and data can be bonded, which was not possible before, and should result in higher 3G speeds if the sector is unburdened. If it was already loaded, it may help relieve that a bit. Though not completely. 

Yes it is, if it is a GMO (ground mount option). This means they mount new RRUs right next to new base stations, but leave the legacy antennas. This is generally done when a site either require too much extra engineering to get new antennas on the site, or it is a low capacity, low priority site. Generally, after the first phase of Network Vision is complete, they will come back and go through the extra engineering to get the site fully NV compatible. Unfortunately, this also means the site is low priority for getting LTE activated. It likely will see LTE eventually, but not as quickly as a full build site.

You may need to confirm that NV antennas are actually lacking before we can say for sure it's a GMO site.

These two antennas are above power lines, so this setup may be the case. I was getting 2.1mbps on 3G so it is possible the backend has been upgraded. I'll try to look around at the base station and see what is new.

If it is possible to use the old antennas then that probably would make sense for these two towers.

These two antennas are above power lines, so this setup may be the case. I was getting 2.1mbps on 3G so it is possible the backend has been upgraded. I'll try to look around at the base station and see what is new. If it is possible to use the old antennas then that probably would make sense for these two towers.

You quoted before I finished typing ha.

It's possible backhaul was upgraded, but if it's a GMO, it's not likely it has.

Even though GMO sites may not get LTE initially, there are some benefits to the new equipment. For one, the T1's used for voice and data can be bonded, which was not possible before, and should result in higher 3G speeds if the sector is unburdened. If it was already loaded, it may help relieve that a bit. Though not completely. 

I'm looking for some clarification on what's actually happening in downtown Madison. For nearly a year I have had reliable and fast 3G a at Broom and Washington. I was happy with everything until the 6th. On the 6th of November I have not had working data. I had elevated my hopes when I noticed the 4G icon on my phone a couple times, but I am sure I just picked up a weak signal from somewhere else. Does anyone know what the funk is going on? Is Sprint waiting for some ridiculous launch date to actually turn the network on? Hopefully someone here has an answer sans speculation. 3 years of paying for 4G and not having 4G should eliminate the awesome line about patience that Sprint loves to tell us. :-/

Edited by Celtic26

Ive tried to submit a picture of the Speedtest, but no usable signal. Download .00 / upload .02 (Washington & Broom)

If you were a member here, (or if you read earlier through this thread) you'd see that most of Madison just got a ton of upgrades (LTE and better voice signal). However, the last few towers they are still working on are in your area. So stuff is happening, it just hasn't hit your exact location quite yet. But the work is in progress and it shouldn't be too much longer.

I'm looking for some clarification on what's actually happening in downtown Madison. For nearly a year I have had reliable and fast 3G a at Broom and Washington. I was happy with everything until the 6th. On the 6th of November I have not had working data. I had elevated my hopes when I noticed the 4G icon on my phone a couple times, but I am sure I just picked up a weak signal from somewhere else. Does anyone know what the funk is going on? Is Sprint waiting for some ridiculous launch date to actually turn the network on? Hopefully someone here has an answer sans speculation. 3 years of paying for 4G and not having 4G should eliminate the awesome line about patience that Sprint loves to tell us. :-/

Also, your 4s cannot use 800MHz anything, so you won't have the performance gains from that. Most of my family is in the same boat, but 2 are getting upgraded this year, and the third will get upgraded next year (so contracts are offset and I can always have the newest iPhone  :P )

Well thanks - I guess. Fact - several Sprint people have told me throughout the past 2 weeks that those two towers were completed. Fact 2 - I have followed the entire thread for quite a while. Fact 3 - I have an iPhone 5 (as well as a 4S), Samsung Epic 4G(lol) and a full upgrade waiting for me. Not certain why that's important to my question about technical issues but ok. :-/ Anyone else?

Well thanks - I guess. Fact - several Sprint people have told me throughout the past 2 weeks that those two towers were completed. Fact 2 - I have followed the entire thread for quite a while. Fact 3 - I have an iPhone 5 (as well as a 4S), Samsung Epic 4G(lol) and a full upgrade waiting for me. Not certain why that's important to my question about technical issues but ok. :-/ Anyone else?

If you've been following the thread how can you have any questions? Madison still has a few towers left to be worked on but the majority seems to be complete so I don't see where your issues would come from. If you're a sponsor check the completed maps and see if your tower in question is done yet.
  • Like 1