Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

They need to move into bayside and elmhurst area. Large white area on sensorly.

Definitely. Astoria and Elmhurst is a very populated area and they must work faster there. I know that people live in queens generally favor verizon due to better coverage and I completely agree with them. Sprint/at&t/tmobile have work cut out for them in queens.

This might sound funny that I'm asking this question after I have over 200 posts in this forum. I wanted to know once network vision is complete in NYC if wherever I go, weak or strong signal, will I have LTE As a steady signal everywhere I go?

This might sound funny that I'm asking this question after I have over 200 posts in this forum. I wanted to know once network vision is complete in NYC if wherever I go, weak or strong signal, will I have LTE As a steady signal everywhere I go?
not necessarily. Every tower should have it, but I would imagine there will definitely be places you drop to evdo or 1x still. Once 800 lte rolls out you should have less drops off of lte.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

not necessarily. Every tower should have it, but I would imagine there will definitely be places you drop to evdo or 1x still. Once 800 lte rolls out you should have less drops off of lte.

Is 800mhz more steady and do all phones have 800 built in? (The latest handsets)

Is 800mhz more steady and do all phones have 800 built in? (The latest handsets)

currently 800 voice is being rolled out. 800 lte will begin rolling out later this year I believe. Most new phones have 800 voice but no new phones have 800 lte capability yet.

There are currently no devices that support 800 LTE.

You should have LTE in nearly all places you have 3G. The LTE signal is more fragile so you need a slightly stronger signal for it to be usable than 3G. In places you have a very weak 3G signal, you probably will have issues getting an LTE signal until 800 LTE is up and running, and you have a compatible device.

still no improvement in Morningside Heights. LTE is confined to a relatively narrow stretch of Broadway more or less cuts out at 116th and is unreliable. 3G is as bad as it's ever been for most of Riverside from the GWB down to the 100s. also, can say that 3G on the west side highway is still pretty spotty and speeds are slower around Union Square than they used to be. perhaps all the improvements are occuring in parts of Manhattan I don't spend much time in but I can't see I've yet to see any considerably improvement to speak of.

I'm looking at the Sensorly map (online) and there is alot more purple in that area compared to last month.

Definitely. Astoria and Elmhurst is a very populated area and they must work faster there. I know that people live in queens generally favor verizon due to better coverage and I completely agree with them. Sprint/at&t/tmobile have work cut out for them in queens.

Its so weird looking at that Sensorly map of the city. major areas untouched are

Manhattan:

Midtown West, Lower East Side, The Village and Lower Manhattan.

Brooklyn:

Greenpoint, Carnarsie, Bergen Beach

Queens:

parts of Astoria, Sunnyside, Jackson heights Middle Village. College Point, Whitestone, Southeast Queens (St. Albans, Laurelton) and the Rockaways

Staten island:

Basically all of the borough.

What I find funny is that you see spots of purple in the middle of the bay (probably picking up a signal while riding the Staten Island Ferry) lol

TS

I'm looking at the Sensorly map (online) and there is alot more purple in that area compared to last month.

Its so weird looking at that Sensorly map of the city. major areas untouched are

Manhattan:

Midtown West, Lower East Side, The Village and Lower Manhattan.

Brooklyn:

Greenpoint, Carnarsie, Bergen Beach

Queens:

parts of Astoria, Sunnyside, Jackson heights Middle Village. College Point, Whitestone, Southeast Queens (St. Albans, Laurelton) and the Rockaways

Staten island:

Basically all of the borough.

What I find funny is that you see spots of purple in the middle of the bay (probably picking up a signal while riding the Staten Island Ferry) lol

TS

In flushing, the lte towers are on and off. They are testing. I am still very surprised that queens and manhattan has so little action compared to brooklyn and bronx. Hope it picks up.

Edited by pslee

I can't wait till every tower is covered with LTE no more slow 3G speeds, Sprint will actually be competition for the other carriers . Everyone goes to Verizon just because they have LTE everywhere & their coverage is amazing but there speeds aren't the best . AT&T hands down has the best LTE speeds with an average of 17mbps down & 5-10mbps up thats amazing . I can't wait to see what Sprint's average will be for our market I hope it's higher than Verizon's lmao .

There are two reasons why this could be happening that I can think of off the top of my head.

First, do you have a custom ROM? If so, does your custom ROM have a unique network identifier? Some custom ROM developers change the Sprint network name to something that Sensorly will not recognize as Sprint. For instance, if it was changed to Jeff's ROM instead of Sprint, Sensorly would have no idea which network to log the incoming data to.

Second, you could have Sensorly configured to only upload data collection over WiFi, but not ever connecting to WiFi.

These are the two things that come to mind. There could be others.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Yea I am running a Custom Rom. It's called The People's Rom. But I don't think that would be affecting it since I've mapped before and I've seen it show up on the map :o. Ahhh !!! This sucks lol.

This, and you can hit Menu>Details to see the datapoint count that's pending upload ("Messages to send"). It should increase when you're collecting points, and decrease when you're uploading them. This will help determine if you're uploading them at all!

I think maybe this helped a little. I didn't know about this option and I clicked details and it said I had something like 400 messages to send. I don't have my settings to only upload over WiFi btw. I had to force upload them because the status kept saying Idle..hopefully that was it and it shows on the map? Idk lol :( If anything, I will nandroid back to my Stock Rom for a day and try to map and see if that does any difference.

Thank you guys for your help ! Any more ideas let me know, i'll try em out :/

FYI to you guys with Gnex devices. Sometimes it bugs out Sensorly and marks dark purple when there is actually a marginal signal. Luckily in the New Orleans thread we have got the few Gnex owners to stop mapping but of course there are more out there than this forum.

Sent from my little Note2

Maybe it got corrected because even a couple months ago my Gnex always gave correct data when mapping idk:D

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of horrible, I am having major issues trying to stay connected with either my Note 2 or my Tri-Fi Hotspot here in Hillcrest Queens. Specifically Parsons and 82nd drive. I've never seen it this bad. Its taking me forever to read and reply to posts or just surfing the net. wow. Guess they are working on that tower down the street.

TS

• Like 1

saw someone working on cell tower in flushing and i found this truck.

http://dl.dropbox.co...%2016.11.27.jpg

hard to see RRUs but the site is definitely sprint site. I noticed one site is shared by many carriers in flushing Queens.

http://dl.dropbox.co...%2016.13.02.jpg

BTW, this site is located 156th street and Sanford Ave in Flushing.

saw this truck at the same building this morning going to work. has anyone heard of cobra communication??

Speaking of horrible, I am having major issues trying to stay connected with either my Note 2 or my Tri-Fi Hotspot here in Hillcrest Queens. Specifically Parsons and 82nd drive. I've never seen it this bad. Its taking me forever to read and reply to posts or just surfing the net. wow. Guess they are working on that tower down the street.

TS

little neck has pretty good reception at where i work but last week was atrocious. no reception at all indoor and 3g was non-existing. it got better yesterday with very solid 3g speed, but no 4g yet.

little neck has pretty good reception at where i work but last week was atrocious. no reception at all indoor and 3g was non-existing. it got better yesterday with very solid 3g speed, but no 4g yet.

I was there earlier in the week and didn't get the stellar 3G speeds I usually see. Glad it's back to normal.

• Like 1

Will gs4 capable using 800mhz lte? If it is, I am switching.

I think so im not completely sure maybe it will , its the latest smart phone to be released as of yesterday .

2 data upgrade at long island city, a block away from where I have a condo. awesome. will find out if LTE is turned on this weekend.

What site do you check to see when new towers are built & to see when there are Data speed updates .