Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Oh wow, was that outdoors or in the station?

Out on the street by the 4 line was going through the side streets which have less than stellar coverage in some area for band 41

• Like 3

Probably picked it up from the antennas for TW.

stations are above ground in the bx. that site is on grand concourse

• Like 1

stations are above ground in the bx. that site is on grand concourse

Transit Wireless still installs DAS in those outdoor stations. You can check their website and see for yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Transit Wireless still installs DAS in those outdoor stations. You can check their website and see for yourself.

Let me be clearer than i was, the site i was getting was from Grand concourse i was walking to the 4 on the side streets. I noted that site months back when it came online, I'm pretty sure it isn't a DAS i was personally on Webb Ave when it was picked up, which is 5 blocks from the station itself that macro site is higher cuz of the way the Bronx slopes so it projects signal a lil further. There aren't any DAS along the 4 line as of right now. Just macro coverage. I'll check again when i am back in the area to confirm since there is scepticism. That site was the last in the area to go online as well if that means anything, before it was shoddy clear band 41 coverage. That dropped to band 25 and data timeouts from there.

• Like 2

TransitWireless is expected to reach their goal of getting WiFi service to all of the stations by year end so I'm not surprised.

Sprint does seem to be the most proactive about getting their service inside stations though.

Hopefully the next step is getting service inside the tunnels. That's something that I appreciate about Boston's train system.

so I got back around to taking my walk back over to where I picked up the second band 25 carrier and I was not able to replicate and or pick up the site again. so maybe it was in a testing mode and I got really lucky I started a data connection and have been 25 the whole way but I was still unable to pick up a second carrier after that. I'm standing in Fordham right now and I'm noticing there two cell sites for band 41 covering the area. That's interesting def need the capacity cuz bareky broke 15 down.

• Like 1

Another small cell on 58th and 5th live.

I was around the area yesterday by Central park and then walked downtown and noticed that from 59/60 Fifth Avenue to about 57 on 3rd Avenue there were small cells in that whole general area that i connected to as well.   passed by some that actually looked like Sprint sites as well but they didn't seem to be active at that moment the further i walked down lex.

Since the NYC market has had several small cells installed, I'll ask here.

Are small cells mostly being installed in areas with poor LTE coverage or in areas that needed more data capacity?

Little bit of column A and a little bit of column B, helps fill the gap between B41 handoffs as well.

• Like 1

Since the NYC market has had several small cells installed, I'll ask here.

Are small cells mostly being installed in areas with poor LTE coverage or in areas that needed more data capacity?

More small cells on 34th and 8th. Here so far they seem to install them in weak B41 signal and a couple where you'd drop to B25/26. Mostly for added capacity.

Little caveat... these were WiMax small cells previously, so they're technically just being converted. So they were in areas with weaker WiMax signal, which probably means there is a chance B41 is weaker as well. But mostly for capacity, as Deval answered above.

Just saw B25^2 on my phone for a few seconds between jamaca train station and valley stream station. Came here to tell you guys but looks like it's know already. Hopefully this makes it ways to Long Island does anyone know the 1900 spectrum break down there?

• Like 2