Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Sprint B41 small cells of the Nokia variety that is deployed maxes out at two 20 MHz carriers and 2xCA.

Considering its clear fiber backhaul it probably does not yet have the juice for 2nd b41 carrier yet.

An easy as to identify Nokia equipment is observing the ping. Nokia equipment, from many observations, have some of the best ping times of any vendor equipment and generally hovers in the 10-30 range. Whereas more traditional equipment is a tad higher around the 40-60s.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 4

Sprint B41 small cells of the Nokia variety that is deployed maxes out at two 20 MHz carriers and 2xCA.

Considering its clear fiber backhaul it probably does not yet have the juice for 2nd b41 carrier yet.

An easy as to identify Nokia equipment is observing the ping. Nokia equipment, from many observations, have some of the best ping times of any vendor equipment and generally hovers in the 10-30 range. Whereas more traditional equipment is a tad higher around the 40-60s.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Man, 2xCA on these things are gonna be crazy! I'm pretty happy with they're performance so far. Even the busiest site in times square still yielded excellent performance (30mb+ and awesome pings!)

Sampling from them..

KpFkw0Cm.png

• Like 2

While I was trying to figure out which antenna belonged to who I notice another small cell on top of the light post on the corner. Could this be the Clear site that got convert? At this point I'm not sure cause it showed Sprint B41^2 on SCP and on all the other small cells it only shows Sprint.

If your SignalCheck was showing B41² then you were definitely connected to a macro site.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I found 2 more small cells. 

The first was at the corner of Wall Street and Williams Street.

I3KaEeh.png?3qJPNM4Y.png?3

The second was at Exchange Place and Broad Street. This area was super packed around noon so speeds took a hit but it is still ridiculously fast and look at that ping!

TiFyWpY.png?3u2CMr0r.png?3

• Like 5

I see that everyone is talking about small cells and all that is great but I thought I would share my experience with Sprint.

I ported my number over today to Sprint and brought over my own device unlocked. I have a 6s unlocked which I bought from Apple.

I must say so far everything is working as expected. Service has been great and I have no complaints. Band 41 is working good as well as B26 which I was able to connect to when I walked into my basement. Speeds were about 6.50 down and 3.3 up on B26. I have yet to connect to B25 but B41 has been between 9mbps - 26mbps down and uploads around 5-6mpbs.

I don't know if HD calling is working or if there is a way to know. My fiancé is with Sprint in a family plan with her family and when I called her, she sounded a bit better but not the type if HD calling I was expecting.

She has an iPhone 6 so it is definitely capable of HD calling. I was with cricket and I always called her with Facetime Audio since it uses data so it sounded like HD calling because when I called her on a regular phone call, the conversation was so hard to understand but this time when I called her, she sounded a bit better as I said before.

Pehaps someone can give an input as to how to tell when one is on HD calling or if what I heard today is what Sprint considers HD but besides this, everything is working great.

No complaints so far and I will test their service out for a month or 2 before I decide if I should permanently stay and join her family plan or jump back to cricket.

I see that everyone is talking about small cells and all that is great but I thought I would share my experience with Sprint.

I ported my number over today to Sprint and brought over my own device unlocked. I have a 6s unlocked which I bought from Apple.

I must say so far everything is working as expected. Service has been great and I have no complaints. Band 41 is working good as well as B26 which I was able to connect to when I walked into my basement. Speeds were about 6.50 down and 3.3 up on B26. I have yet to connect to B25 but B41 has been between 9mbps - 26mbps down and uploads around 5-6mpbs.

I don't know if HD calling is working or if there is a way to know. My fiancé is with Sprint in a family plan with her family and when I called her, she sounded a bit better but not the type if HD calling I was expecting.

If it wasn't manufactured specifically for Sprint, some things like CA or HD voice may not work as expected.

If it wasn't manufactured specifically for Sprint, some things like CA or HD voice may not work as expected.

No iPhone is manufactured specifically for Sprint, as Sprint model is the exact same one used by T-Mobile and Verizon. He might have to call and have it provisioned.

No iPhone is manufactured specifically for Sprint, as Sprint model is the exact same one used by T-Mobile and Verizon. He might have to call and have it provisioned.

How does that process work? What exactly will the rep have me do to the phone?

My Nexus 6 doesn't experience HD voice either since it's technically an unlocked device but I have few complaints about call quality.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just want to have the full experience but I must say that when I called my mom on a landline, she sounded much clearer and better.

When I was with Verizon, I also had good call quality but the best call quality I have experienced has been with T-Mobile.

How does that process work? What exactly will the rep have me do to the phone?

I mean I've tried because wifi calling broke my HD Voice and it's kinda a PITA because the reps don't know what HD Voice is. They place Google searches just to say Sprint doesn't support HD Voice because Sprint doesn't do VoLTE like the other carriers. It's really messy. I could imagine you could request to be connected to a technician and speak to him/her about it.

I mean I've tried because wifi calling broke my HD Voice and it's kinda a PITA because the reps don't know what HD Voice is. They place Google searches just to say Sprint doesn't support HD Voice because Sprint doesn't do VoLTE like the other carriers. It's really messy. I could imagine you could request to be connected to a technician and speak to him/her about it.

Hmmm I think I'll just stick with what I have, don't want to mess anything but I will say that I called my fiancé before I did the carrier update and updated the PRL.

After I hung up with her, I I went into setting and right away I got the notification to do a carroer update from 24.1 to 24.2 and the PRL went from 1 to 54056.

Would this help at all with getting HD voice?

Perhaps manufactured was the wrong word. But unlocked non-Sprint specific/sold to be used on Sprint devices tend to have difficulty with things like HD voice, CA, and even B41 (though that has become less of an issue this year).

Perhaps manufactured was the wrong word. But unlocked non-Sprint specific/sold to be used on Sprint devices tend to have difficulty with things like HD voice, CA, and even B41 (though that has become less of an issue this year).

I have yet to experience any CA like speeds but so far everything is working flawlessly. I went to visit a friend and in the hallways and elevator, I either dropped to 1x or 3G but once inside his apartment, the phone jumped to B41 for about 2-3 mins and then my screen flashed "No Service" so I began to worry. I waited and after about 60 seconds, LTE came up on the screen and this time on B26 and the entire time that I was visiting with him my 6s stayed on B26 and though I did not get a chance to do a soeed test, I was able to browse the web and watch YouTube without any lags or buffering.

I will test HD again tomorrow.

• Like 1

I have yet to experience any CA like speeds but so far everything is working flawlessly. I went to visit a friend and in the hallways and elevator, I either dropped to 1x or 3G but once inside his apartment, the phone jumped to B41 for about 2-3 mins and then my screen flashed "No Service" so I began to worry. I waited and after about 60 seconds, LTE came up on the screen and this time on B26 and the entire time that I was visiting with him my 6s stayed on B26 and though I did not get a chance to do a soeed test, I was able to browse the web and watch YouTube without any lags or buffering.

I will test HD again tomorrow.

The best way to troubleshoot HD voice issues is by removing the WIFI CALLING option from your plan on sprint.com, after disabling it on your device. Do the same for your fiancee's phone and you should be golden.

I had to do the same for my wife's phone and she noticed the difference immediately. 

Those antennas on the taller building are Sprint tri-band sites (ALU B25/B26/B41), so it appears they replaced the Samsung WiMAX equipment with ALU.

Was this done recently? If so that's really good news.

Update: I found another, this time right next to the Brooklyn Bridge on the Manhattan side. Just to stop the bombardment of pics from me I'll write down results.

Ping: 13ms

Download: 51.72Mbps

Upload: 12.64Mbps

GPS location on a map and SCP screenshot would be the best bet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

Update: I found another, this time right next to the Brooklyn Bridge on the Manhattan side. Just to stop the bombardment of pics from me I'll write down results.

Ping: 13ms

Download: 51.72Mbps

Upload: 12.64Mbps

I wonder if there is anything on park row, last time I was there data was unbearable slow. That's only 2 blocks from that location.

The best way to troubleshoot HD voice issues is by removing the WIFI CALLING option from your plan on sprint.com, after disabling it on your device. Do the same for your fiancee's phone and you should be golden.

I had to do the same for my wife's phone and she noticed the difference immediately.

Is that so? I called her again today and still sounded the same like yesterday. I assume I would have to do this through the sprint website?