Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

That is not quite true being that I know Network Vision sights in Brooklyn that are up and no one I know is connecting to LTE In the area.

But they are connecting, because it is mapping on Sensorly. Just because you can see equipment on towers does not mean that they are completed. It can sometimes be weeks after the equipment shows up that the tower is completed and accepted and then released to the public. There are a number of towers across the NYC market that ARE broadcasting LTE. Sprint is blocking fewer and fewer towers now.

If you become a sponsor, you can see what sites have been accepted by Sprint. I can tell you that people are connecting at all the sites that have been accepted, because there are tracks on Sensorly.

But they are connecting, because it is mapping on Sensorly. Just because you can see equipment on towers does not mean that they are completed. It can sometimes be weeks after the equipment shows up that the tower is completed and accepted and then released to the public. There are a number of towers across the NYC market that ARE broadcasting LTE. Sprint is blocking fewer and fewer towers now.

If you become a sponsor, you can see what sites have been accepted by Sprint. I can tell you that people are connecting at all the sites that have been accepted, because there are tracks on Sensorly.

Same thing in Indianapolis. The sites acceptes by Sprint are still live

CNET weighed in with an article. Not sure it really tells us much, but they think it's somewhere between December and March:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57539203-94/sprint-4g-lte-may-show-up-in-ny-sf-as-late-as-march/

With articles coming out like this you would think A: sprint would give us a firm release date or B: change up there strategy and put big cities a priority..

Edited by YoungHov718

With articles comig out like this you would think A: sprint would give us a firm release dateor B: change up there strategy and put big cities a priority..

Big cities are a priority.... LA, NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC, San Francisco, Miami, Nashville, Memphis.... all will have decent LTE coverage by the end of the year. Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Baltimore, Kansas City and San Antonio already have it. Sprint is just doing entire markets... which are state wide is some cases. That's why it seems like they are focusing on small cities. They just happen to fall in the markets were upgrades are occurring.

• Like 2

CNET weighed in with an article. Not sure it really tells us much, but they think it's somewhere between December and March:

http://news.cnet.com...-late-as-march/

This is a crappy article. Article title:

Sprint 4G LTE may not show up in NY, SF until March

However, in the article it talks about how there is some LTE service already working in these markets and that Sprint is leaving the sites operating while they add more service. LTE has shown up now. Garbage journalism.

If it said something like, "Sprint LTE will not fully launch in NY, SF until possibly as late as March" that would be much more acceptable. :td:

Robert

• Like 4

This is a crappy article. Article title:

Sprint 4G LTE may not show up in NY, SF until March

However, in the article it talks about how there is some LTE service already working in these markets and that Sprint is leaving the sites operating while they add more service. LTE has shown up now. Garbage journalism.

If it said something like, "Sprint LTE will not fully launch in NY, SF until possibly as late as March" that would be much more acceptable. :td:

Robert

well it kind of does:

Sprint, however, is leaving on LTE towers that it puts up for testing, rather than shut them down again, so LTE coverage will start to appear in cities that haven't had an "official launch," which occurs when there is a critical mass of towers ready to go.

For instance, LTE coverage is starting to show up in Los Angeles, Boston, and San Francisco. In New York, Sprint has some LTE towers up in the Bronx borough of New York, and CNET ran some tests up there.

I think the overall point of the article, that there may not be widespread coverage in these markets until next March, is justifiable. Quite frankly, it's difficult to excite customers by telling them a footprint of a few blocks has access to a faster network while they're dealing with subpar speed(s) in their own neighborhoods. I understand your point that it's unfair to make blanket statements like "Sprint won't show up in X until Y" but for the average customer, they don't really care about a company's infracstructure projects until they can actually benefit from them.

well it kind of does:

I think the overall point of the article' date=' that there may not be widespread coverage in these markets until next March, is justifiable. Quite frankly, it's difficult to excite customers by telling them a footprint of a few blocks has access to a faster network while they're dealing with subpar speed(s) in their own neighborhoods. I understand your point that it's unfair to make blanket statements like "Sprint won't show up in X until Y" but for the average customer, they don't really care about a company's infracstructure projects until they can actually benefit from them.[/quote']

Did you even read what I wrote? I said the article title is inaccurate BECAUSE they contradicted it in their article. I get the point. I reference it. The article is not the problem...it's the headline. That headline is patently false. And the article content admits it.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Sprint Nextel reported their quarterly results and mentioned that the LTE rollout is behind 1 quarter nationwide(3 months).

Makes sense to see a full roll-out in NYC to be by March. Although they could light up some test sites before that launch. Which is what some of you guys have been reporting.

Sprint Nextel reported their quarterly results and mentioned that the LTE rollout is behind 1 quarter nationwide(3 months).

Makes sense to see a full roll-out in NYC to be by March. Although they could light up some test sites before that launch. Which is what some of you guys have been reporting.

The 3 months is not a delay in NYC launch from 12/31 to 3/31. It's an overall total sites count. Sprint has been advertising to investors all year that they would have 12,000 sites complete before the end of the year. This is their way of getting themselves off the hook and saying they are one quarter behind in site counts.

By our best assessment, NYC launch is 30-45 days behind the initial baseline schedule. It would be as bad as 90 days, but now that Sprint is focusing on soft launches, that is still conceivable by December 31st.

Did you even read what I wrote?  I said the article title is inaccurate BECAUSE they contradicted it in their article.  I get the point. I reference it. The article is not the problem...it's the headline. That headline is patently false. And the article content admits it.

no need to be nasty - I think the issue is that you don't really understand the nature of headlines and that something like, "Some Sprint markets may only partially be active before March 2013" isn't the kind of thing editors want to see.

no need to be nasty - I think the issue is that you don't really understand the nature of headlines and that something like' date=' "Some Sprint markets may only partially be active before March 2013" isn't the kind of thing editors want to see.[/quote']

You think my response is nasty? Wait until you actually piss me off.

I do understand the nature of headlines. I write a few myself. And if my headline contradicts my article, I expect to be called on it.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Great news guys. After trying all week, I finally just obtained a live lte signal at work. I'm at 135th street and Broadway in Manhattan. I may have reported the first line signal in Manhattan. I'm trying to map it with sensorly now

• Like 4

Great news guys. After trying all week, I finally just obtained a live lte signal at work. I'm at 135th street and Broadway in Manhattan. I may have reported the first line signal in Manhattan. I'm trying to map it with sensorly now

did you get that indoors?

Scratch that. I just cracked 30 Mbps and almost 10 upload.

that's fantastic - would have to assume you're one of the only people connected right now, though. is your phone intermittently grabbing the connection or are you able to stay on for a while? I may run up there to see if I can pull an LTE signal, too.