Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I am visiting Brooklyn and the 3G speeds here are a lot worst here than in South Florida. It's practically unusable. I was fortunate enough to have visited Atlanta before making this trip where 4G was deployed and it will definitely be a breath of fresh air for New Yorkers.

This was right outside my job. At the bus stop on 135th and Broadway. It's the highest speeds I've ever seen on my phone. Wi-Fi or otherwise. I hope the image shows up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Have you gotten Sensorly to run? Not seeing anything show up in that area. You're hitting "Map Trip"?

2u2a8yte.jpg

This was right outside my job. At the bus stop on 135th and Broadway. It's the highest speeds I've ever seen on my phone. Wi-Fi or otherwise. I hope the image shows up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

wow, you must be like right next to the tower

• Like 2

I am visiting Brooklyn and the 3G speeds here are a lot worst here than in South Florida. It's practically unusable. I was fortunate enough to have visited Atlanta before making this trip where 4G was deployed and it will definitely be a breath of fresh air for New Yorkers.

big pockets of the city have abysmal speeds and it's why we're so eagerly anticipating NV. don't get me wrong, there are some areas where coverage is good, but the problem is how tempermental it is. move a block in either direction and while data speeds are still ok, pings go through the roof. then move a few more blocks and data speeds are terrible. that's how it's been here for at least the last year and has been getting progressively worse. the idea of LTE being not only fast but actually connectable - unline Wimax most of the time - is very exciting for those of us who've suffered though (and paid for) poor service for a very long time.

big pockets of the city have abysmal speeds and it's why we're so eagerly anticipating NV. don't get me wrong, there are some areas where coverage is good, but the problem is how tempermental it is. move a block in either direction and while data speeds are still ok, pings go through the roof. then move a few more blocks and data speeds are terrible. that's how it's been here for at least the last year and has been getting progressively worse. the idea of LTE being not only fast but actually connectable - unline Wimax most of the time - is very exciting for those of us who've suffered though (and paid for) poor service for a very long time.

I certainly agree. I ride the B46 home everyday from Eastern Parkway/Utica Avenue train station to Avenue L and up by the train station slow speeds are a thing of the past. As well as in south eastern Brooklyn, Flatlands in particular. However, everywhere in between, especially in poorer neighborhoods, speeds are absolutely abysmal. By my house I get upwards of 1.3 Mbps and during my trip on the bus I can see it go as low as 20Kbps. But as we all know, it will get better and that's all that matter for now.

I ran sensorly and ran map trip as well. I have no idea why it didn't show up. I'll try again tomorrow. This is great news for us thirsty NYers. Sure it's not downtown Manhattan, but at least we have LTE and it's next to my job. I'm actually five blocks away from the nearest LTE tower if I'm not mistaken. If you go to that area, just set your phone to CDMA/LTE and update profile and prl. If that doesn't work, reboot and you'll pick up the signal.

• Like 4

I ran sensorly and ran map trip as well. I have no idea why it didn't show up. I'll try again tomorrow. This is great news for us thirsty NYers. Sure it's not downtown Manhattan, but at least we have LTE and it's next to my job. I'm actually five blocks away from the nearest LTE tower if I'm not mistaken. If you go to that area, just set your phone to CDMA/LTE and update profile and prl. If that doesn't work, reboot and you'll pick up the signal.

I may give it a shot tomorrow afternoon. By 5 blocks, do you mean 140th and Broadway or 130th?

Also, I ditched Android in favor of the iPhone 5 so I have no idea if there's anything comparable to updating profile and prl apart from resetting the network settings. I believe there's some dialer code to do that but why should updating the prl have any bearing on LTE?

Edited by Morningside78

Yeah. The exact location of the tower is irrelevant, because my best speeds came from the bus stop on 135th street and Broadway.

Here are my results. I kept testing and testing. :

8epapuna.jpg

The crappy scores are 3G. The lower scores that are above 3G speeds are a weak LTE signal in my office. Where you see the speeds decreasing is when I was on the bus trying to map my trip with sensorly. My calculations my be off, but I wanna say that the actual LTE signal lasted 10 blocks before it went kaput.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah. The exact location of the tower is irrelevant, because my best speeds came from the bus stop on 135th street and Broadway.

I ask because I'll be walking up from Morningside Heights, so I'm just trying to get an idea of where to start looking.

And by the way, the 3G speed at the top of your list, oh boy does that look familiar :)

They should stick a antenna on each damn taxi. That should take care of the issue of Manhattan since there are more taxis in any one block radius than there are cars and trucks. :(

All joking aside, its good seeing these reports of LTE popping up.

TS

• Like 3

Looks like somebody already took a walk around the morningside area and gave it some sensorly love! nice strip on the map! LTE sweetness!

not sure what you searched by not a damn thing comes up on Sensorly for 4G in this neighborhood when I check. :-(

Edited by Morningside78