Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

That's it? Why not all of them?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm guessing that they figure only 20-25% have insufficient LTE signals.

Robert via Moto Photon Q using Forum Runner

S3's going for high 300's and low 400's on ebay, just be sure to avoid the "bad ESN" listings of which there are quite a bit of. You're absolutely crazy if you think you can get an EVO AND $450 to trade for an S3, haha.

I'm going to hold out hope for awhile longer that they'll get to the bottom of this issue. As more LTE lights up, more and more people will pressure Sprint and HTC to fix this.

lol it took me 3 weeks to dump my evo lte on craigslist. I was only able to get 240 for it. I just wanted it gone. I loved the phone though. Found a gs3 for 330. Anyone wanna by a evo defender!

I'm guessing that they figure only 20-25% have insufficient LTE signals.

Robert via Moto Photon Q using Forum Runner

The guy at the corporate Sprint store by me said they had an LTE repeater installed, but he said he wasn't turned on yet. The devices in the store received a faint but usable LTE signal as it was.

CDMA 800 has been turned on in Northwest Indiana according to my GS3 and significantly improved indoor coverage. All along the Indiana toll road/Chicago skyway I'm seeing a great amount of LTE now and in Chicago itself in the area of 33rd and Halsted I'm seeing LTE coverage too.

All this is new within the past week or two. Now that I see it for myself Sprint really is working quick!

Yah...comparing the NV map vs. the COMPLETED NV map, there's still a bunch of towers that have yet to be touched.

I eyeballed 40-50 NV towers centered around the Schaumburg/EGV/Rolling Meadows area. There's only around half that amount of towers in the COMPLETED map of the same area.

Yeah, there are a bunch of gaps around here. I work in Addison, and I don't get any 4G between the Elgin-O'Hare and I355. Since I stream Google Music on my way to work, it's aggravating, especially since my phone prefers dropping to 1x instead of holding onto at least an EVDO signal when it's out of LTE range. Sometimes I don't get through even 3 songs because of buffering, and it's a twenty minute drive. There are two towers near me, one less than half a mile away, that are still in the process of being upgraded, both on my route to work. I'm so anxious for them to get finished. Now that I know exactly where one is, I'm almost compelled to stop by there on my way home from work every day just to check the progress.

I've been trying to hit up most of the area around the Uptown/Loop/Old Town/Lakeview/Lincoln Park and West Loop on Sensorly. Most of the LTE is still spotty getting about 3 down on Speedtest and about 2 down on Sensorly. The best I've seen yet was siting under the Fullerton EL stop. I've attached a screenshot of that. screenshot2012101818163.png

Getting lte at my house! But the speeds are 2 down and 4 up.Will that get better? or is that all we will see?

Also in my house the signal gets bad.only 40 feet and 3 walls to my bedroom.There is signal in front of house, so can any one tell me if it will get better over time?I thought the signal in front would give me lte.it does but there is a brick wall for my outside wall.Will that make it impossible for me to even see lte in my house?

Thank you for any help.

Getting lte at my house! But the speeds are 2 down and 4 up.Will that get better? or is that all we will see?

Also in my house the signal gets bad.only 40 feet and 3 walls to my bedroom.There is signal in front of house, so can any one tell me if it will get better over time?I thought the signal in front would give me lte.it does but there is a brick wall for my outside wall.Will that make it impossible for me to even see lte in my house?

Thank you for any help.

It really depends. If you are in a situation like mine where your LTE is from a tower that isn't actually the closest to you, and you're waiting for a closer tower to be upgraded, then yes, it will get better. If you're already getting your LTE from the closest tower, then they may adjust the tower's downtilt or something else that could make the signal stronger by your house, but it can't be guaranteed. If they don't adjust anything, then that's unfortunately the best you'll get.

FWIW, brick is probably pretty terrible for carrying a signal, then add several walls into the equation, and it's no surprise that the signal gets bad that deep into the house. Hopefully, you're just waiting on a closer tower to be upgraded, and you'll be golden. Since you're a sponsor already, just check out the NV Sites Complete map, and compare it to the NV Sites map to see if any towers in your area are awaiting an upgrade.

Thank you for any help.

It depends. The signal you are connecting to know could be from a distant tower, hence the weak signal/slow speeds. As more towers are completed, it is likely that your signal will get better, and speeds with it. Buildings to knock off quite a bit from your signal strength, but if you get a decent 3G signal inside your house, than your LTE signal will be usable as well. However, if you are at home and have WiFi, than there is no reason to have your phone on the network.

Thank you for the quick response.I am not sure that the tower closest to me is upgraded.Wasnt yesterday when I checked ;) .Hope it isn't 'cause this is gonna suck all winter if it is.The tower I connect to is at Wilson and Western essentially.And I use my phone for all my communications.I have an evo.So that alone is gonna suck for signal till they fix it. If there is a way to find out if it is and not updated that info would be great to have.

Got 4G in bedroom for a minute. I Am hoping that the signal is just being tested as I have only gotten a d/l of 2 megs so far. Let's see what happens when the signal is really cranked up. And FYI, the signal in my room went from 1 bar MAYBE, to 3-4. So that alone is a HUGE improvement..

FYI, the signal in my room went from 1 bar MAYBE, to 3-4. So that alone is a HUGE improvement..

You have to remember that bars lie for LTE signal strength as it's thoroughly discussed in the following thread:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

sorry.the 1 to 3-4 bars are 3g.massive difference.

update :

tower down by my house.big outage.they are working on it.

also have me codes to reset device to factory on roaming and provision.don't know if its legal to give those codes out.

admins let me know.

My wife's new SG3 sniffed some LTE last night, going west on Laraway between Frankfort and New Lenox. Only had it for about a minute. Tried running a speed test. Got about 4500 kbps down, then it wouldn't run the upload, then dropped 4g back to 3g.

But...that is still the first time we have seen LTE so far down by us.

Sooo I was excited to see that by my work, the tower was listed as 3G/800, yet my signal has actually worsened. Tower is less than a half mile away from my work. Any thoughts on why this would be happening?

Sooo I was excited to see that by my work' date=' the tower was listed as 3G/800, yet my signal has actually worsened. Tower is less than a half mile away from my work. Any thoughts on why this would be happening?[/quote']

Maybe your device is clinging to a distant 1900 site? Did you try cycling airplane mode? The first time I connected to CDMA 800 in Waco, it was after I cycled airplane mode. Are you running a custom PRL? How are you measuring your signal?

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Does that mean that an announcement is imminent?

They announced it this morning, actually.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Chicago market now shows 4G LTE for the entire market under coverage.sprint.com

Holy LTE Batman!

It looks like the Rockford area is also bathed in LTE goodness as well. This likely means the official announcement is not too far away. It also means I need to run more Sensorly. =P

EDIT: Looks like it was announced this morning: http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/10/22/4354590/sprint-brings-4g-lte-to-customers.html

Edited by nomad64
  • Like 1

Maybe your device is clinging to a distant 1900 site? Did you try cycling airplane mode? The first time I connected to CDMA 800 in Waco' date=' it was after I cycled airplane mode. Are you running a custom PRL? How are you measuring your signal?

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner[/quote']

No custom PRL. Cycling airplane mode did nothing. But I am in EVDO network mode instead of eHRPD...that might have something to do with it...?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1