Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

No custom PRL. Cycling airplane mode did nothing. But I am in EVDO network mode instead of eHRPD...that might have something to do with it...?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

Probably not. Trying going into CDMA only mode for grins and see what happens.

Robert

Probably not. Trying going into CDMA only mode for grins and see what happens.

Robert

none better, still -98dBm 1asu, seems my phone is fighting over three seperate towers, and they are probably still working on the tower closest to me. I will just be patient. Thanks Robert.

• Like 1

I couldn't even make a voice call at Schmale and Geneva in Wheaton today. 3G speeds were about 60kbits. I hope they're still going to be filling in towers because my coverage in the west burbs isn't great. Anyone else in this area with problems? I had to put my phone in "roam only" mode just to make a call and use some data.

I couldn't even make a voice call at Schmale and Geneva in Wheaton today. 3G speeds were about 60kbits. I hope they're still going to be filling in towers because my coverage in the west burbs isn't great. Anyone else in this area with problems? I had to put my phone in "roam only" mode just to make a call and use some data.

Thats where I work. Its been bad since last week Monday.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

none better, still -98dBm 1asu, seems my phone is fighting over three seperate towers, and they are probably still working on the tower closest to me. I will just be patient. Thanks Robert.

I called sprint about a similar problem.go to tier 2 support and ask if they can have your phone look for the tower closest to you.they did some voodoo that makes my closest tower the one I connect to at home.

Sooo I was excited to see that by my work, the tower was listed as 3G/800, yet my signal has actually worsened. Tower is less than a half mile away from my work. Any thoughts on why this would be happening?

I was connected to CDMA 800 all last week all over Northwest, IN, then after coming back from Chicago Friday I haven't been able to get it back. Power cycling and airplane mode did nothing. I think perhaps they may have shut it back off or something.

4g is happening on the north side of Chicago. the speed is like 2 down and 4 up.will that get better? or is that it for us?

its like 12% of what I got in Niless this last weekend.any info is appreciated.

4g is happening on the north side of Chicago. the speed is like 2 down and 4 up.will that get better? or is that it for us?

its like 12% of what I got in Niless this last weekend.any info is appreciated.

Most likely you have a weak LTE signal with speeds like that. LTE performance is very signal strength dependent (regardless of carrier). On Android devices you cannot tell LTE signal strength in the "bars" shown. They show voice signal strength only, even when the 4G icon is showing. For more info on that: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Sometimes when a site is initially deployed, LTE speeds may be slow for a day or two. But most likely slow speeds are related to signal strength. You are likely getting LTE from a distant site. As closer sites get deployed to you the signal will be stronger and the speeds will be faster. The deployment is nowhere near complete. Coverage and performance will just get better and better as the service gets denser and denser.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I cant figure out where the service is coming from. The towers in my area dont show any purple. One is over a mile away and in chicago there are a lot of buildings in the way. Also that tower would have been giving me service since it went on early this month. so that's out. I do want the service to be as fast as irving and clark. Damned that was fun to play with. Just cant figure out which tower is actually giving me the signal. And yes I do know that it is very signal dependent. It must be coming from the west of me as the towers to the east have been up and running for a few weeks now.I never believe my bars . I believe speed tests and downloads and NOT dropped calls. If you can find out some more info from the little birdies you have ( not the ones that nested earlier BTW) I would appreciate it.

Thank You very much Robert.

I cant figure out where the service is coming from. The towers in my area dont show any purple. One is over a mile away and in chicago there are a lot of buildings in the way. Also that tower would have been giving me service since it went on early this month. so that's out. I do want the service to be as fast as irving and clark. Damned that was fun to play with. Just cant figure out which tower is actually giving me the signal. And yes I do know that it is very signal dependent. It must be coming from the west of me as the towers to the east have been up and running for a few weeks now.I never believe my bars . I believe speed tests and downloads and NOT dropped calls. If you can find out some more info from the little birdies you have ( not the ones that nested earlier BTW) I would appreciate it.

Thank You very much Robert.

Are you referencing Robert's Samsung Completed NV Sites map? Note that 4G is also noted by green and yellow pins (in addition to purple).

Having said that, I know that blue pinned "3G/800" sites may also have 4G as well (timing issue with updates I would imagine) as there's a couple by me that are blue and have had LTE implemented for a few weeks now.

Are you referencing Robert's Samsung Completed NV Sites map? Note that 4G is also noted by green and yellow pins (in addition to purple).

Having said that' date=' I know that blue pinned "3G/800" sites may also have 4G as well (timing issue with updates I would imagine) as there's a couple by me that are blue and have had LTE implemented for a few weeks now.[/quote']

Yeah, if Samsung has finished the 4G at the site, but Sprint has not come back out yet to inspect it, it is possible that it would be operating and not yet shown on our maps.

Wheaton remains a black hole for me, which is frustrating as I'm frequently there.

Full 4G through Schaumburg, Palatine and Lake Cook road now, though. That's awesome.

I'm interested to see the updated Sponsor Map next Monday. If the market was 'officially' launched, I'm wondering if their deployment will go as quickly as it has lately. Based on the looks of things, their #1 focus was to get halfway decent LTE coverage in Chicago proper. Now that they have it, what is their "good enough" limit where they start taking resources off and sending them elsewhere?

While some improvements have been great, this better not be winding down. I just hope they don't "deploy" and then leave right off the bat to go somewhere else and get another market ticked on their LTE list.

I'm interested to see the updated Sponsor Map next Monday. If the market was 'officially' launched, I'm wondering if their deployment will go as quickly as it has lately. Based on the looks of things, their #1 focus was to get halfway decent LTE coverage in Chicago proper. Now that they have it, what is their "good enough" limit where they start taking resources off and sending them elsewhere?

While some improvements have been great, this better not be winding down. I just hope they don't "deploy" and then leave right off the bat to go somewhere else and get another market ticked on their LTE list.

That is a good point. Here's to hoping it continues as it has.

Yeah, if Samsung has finished the 4G at the site, but Sprint has not come back out yet to inspect it, it is possible that it would be operating and not yet shown on our maps.

What about if a site has been shown as complete on the site maps for a few weeks, but it has yet to put out a 4G signal. How long after a site is shown as complete is it lit?

What about if a site has been shown as complete on the site maps for a few weeks, but it has yet to put out a 4G signal. How long after a site is shown as complete is it lit?

Either Sprint is blocking LTE connections, which happens, or there is an issue with your device. Have you made sure your GS3 is in CDMA/LTE mode? Have you tried cycling through airplane mode to force your device to scan for LTE? Have you been able to connect to LTE in other areas? If you can connect in other areas, but not the site, then Sprint isn't allowing connections.

There are several places where this has occurred. There were several sites in Kansas (around Newton and Wichita) that Sprint didn't allow connections to for weeks even after all the sites around them went live, showed up on coverage maps and the area was formally launched.

Robert

Either Sprint is blocking LTE connections, which happens, or there is an issue with your device. Have you made sure your GS3 is in CDMA/LTE mode? Have you tried cycling through airplane mode to force your device to scan for LTE? Have you been able to connect to LTE in other areas? If you can connect in other areas, but not the site, then Sprint isn't allowing connections.

There are several places where this has occurred. There were several sites in Kansas (around Newton and Wichita) that Sprint didn't allow connections to for weeks even after all the sites around them went live, showed up on coverage maps and the area was formally launched.

Robert

They are probably blocking it, since I have cycled the device and been able to connect to 4G in other parts of the Chicago metro area.

• Like 1

Robert, thank you for the info.I just hope the 4g will get cranked up by me so wee see the real world number sprint wants it to have.

and thank you for giving me the information on the site.that helps me, when otherwise I'd just be frustrated.You kick a$$!

• Like 1

They are probably blocking it, since I have cycled the device and been able to connect to 4G in other parts of the Chicago metro area.

What kind of issues would cause Sprint to block a site for LTE? Backhaul, worries? I thought that had to be done before it's accepted. Interference worries maybe? Grasping at straws, nothing seems to make sense.

What kind of issues would cause Sprint to block a site for LTE? Backhaul, worries? I thought that had to be done before it's accepted. Interference worries maybe? Grasping at straws, nothing seems to make sense.

I think it's a pretty arbitrary decision. I have disagreed with all their blocking schemes, except backhaul related.

Robert

• Like 1

I can't imagine why they would if a market has been announced.

Like marring your cousin, that's just not right.

Yet, it still happens. On both accounts. ;)

Robert

• Like 1

I would guess it will continue as Sprint has continually said (even in that new video) that performance will continue to improve in the weeks and months ahead. Based on their marketing of the expected improvements I don't think they can afford to take a "this is good enough" approach until the bulk of the area is solidly blanketed.

At 12:13 AM today, Skynet 4G LTE went active in my place in River North. All of a sudden my phone just went from Wi-Fi to 4G and still at this moment the 4G is active. The download speeds have varied between 5MB and 12MB and upload speeds have stayed between 10-12MB.

screenshot2012102400143.png

screenshot2012102400335.png

And with this screenshot, I'm not sure how my day can get better and it's only 45 minutes old:

screenshot2012102400435.png

Edited by SSLaw