Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Returned to my apartment in the city tonight. I live ~200m from a 4g site that is posted on the maps (Near Diversey brown line). Have seen 2.5mbps max' date=' and the far side of my house can't even pick up the 4g. This is significantly worse than wimax, but I'm almost directly next to the tower.

Phone service does seem better here than in western suburbs, at least.

Anyone else in this Chicago area?

Edit: Signal is -115 and I'm 200m away with virtually a clear line of sight. Tower at 2775 N Sheffield must not be turned on yet, although it appears on maps.[/quote']

A site appearing on the map does not guarantee operation. There are dozens of sites that are complete and accepted by Sprint but are not operating.

I assure you Sprint LTE is superior to WiMax in every measurable metric.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 1

On the red line by Chinatown. Pretty decent..seeing 4g all over the place..grateful to be living here...lol.

Screenshot_2012_10_24_17_22_13.jpg

Yeah I have lte all over the west side of Chicago by Roosevelt and California and central and ohio

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Finally a 4G connection at work....but wont penetrate the building....bullocks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

Same here, Im getting 4G in numerous spots in the loop, but have yet to get it in any building or underground location.

Returned to my apartment in the city tonight. I live ~200m from a 4g site that is posted on the maps (Near Diversey brown line). Have seen 2.5mbps max, and the far side of my house can't even pick up the 4g. This is significantly worse than wimax, but I'm almost directly next to the tower.

Phone service does seem better here than in western suburbs, at least.

Anyone else in this Chicago area?

Edit: Signal is -115 and I'm 200m away with virtually a clear line of sight. Tower at 2775 N Sheffield must not be turned on yet, although it appears on maps.

Im near Diversey and Wayne. I get a solid 4G signal in and around my place, and I live on the 2nd floor of a 2 story brownstone.

Yeah, if Samsung has finished the 4G at the site, but Sprint has not come back out yet to inspect it, it is possible that it would be operating and not yet shown on our maps.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Yup...as of yesterday's updates, a few the previously blue (800/3G) pinned towers are now green (800/3G/4G) in Palatine.

They still haven't touched the tower closest to me tho... :angry:

Some good 4G updates around Aurora and Naperville where I love/work. Wonder when the Chicago launch will be. Maybe not too far myself from giving a Sprint iPhone 5 a try for 14 days and seeing if LTE here cuts the mustard. Unlimited would be nice.

Im near Diversey and Wayne. I get a solid 4G signal in and around my place, and I live on the 2nd floor of a 2 story brownstone.

Yeah I pick it up if I head a bit west by you. Definitely not the tower by us on sheffield though, you're probably just in reach of the one up on clark or somewhere else.

Some good 4G updates around Aurora and Naperville where I love/work. Wonder when the Chicago launch will be. Maybe not too far myself from giving a Sprint iPhone 5 a try for 14 days and seeing if LTE here cuts the mustard. Unlimited would be nice.

LTE in Chicago has already been (soft)launched. Coverage is not complete in some parts of Chicago, but coverage will be filling in, tower by tower. If you are asking about the LTE speed, you won't be disappointed. In any situation, if you have a LTE signal, you have way more then enough speed for a smartphone.

EDIT: Fixed an error.

LTE in Chicago has already been launched. Coverage is not complete' date=' but it will be coming on, tower by tower. If you are asking about the LTE speed, you won't be disappointed. In any situation, if you have a LTE signal, you have way more then enough speed for a smartphone.[/quote']

To clarify, Chicago has been soft launched. Only some parts of Chicagoland have been formally launched.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

LTE in Chicago has already been (soft)launched. Coverage is not complete in some parts of Chicago, but coverage will be filling in, tower by tower. If you are asking about the LTE speed, you won't be disappointed. In any situation, if you have a LTE signal, you have way more then enough speed for a smartphone.

EDIT: Fixed an error.

Yes, I meant the official launch.

I'm not concerned at all about the speed, I'm concerned about the coverage. The map is looking better, but a colleague who just happened to get a Sprint iPhone 5 popped into my office earlier today and no LTE here at our office in Naperville near Diehl and Winfield : (

Hopefully will come. Fortunately I can now check on his phone every once-in-a-while.

Thanks

Yes, I meant the official launch.

I'm not concerned at all about the speed, I'm concerned about the coverage. The map is looking better, but a colleague who just happened to get a Sprint iPhone 5 popped into my office earlier today and no LTE here at our office in Naperville near Diehl and Winfield : (

Hopefully will come. Fortunately I can now check on his phone every once-in-a-while.

Thanks

It'll come eventually. If you can get a strong 3G signal in the office, you will have a nice LTE connection as well.

LTE rounding blommer's chocolate on the metra where i normally get 1x. kept it all the way into the station. none in the market. got it outside walking and in my building! It's not the fastest right now, but @ 1.3-ish down, it's waaay faster at my work than what my 3g used to be.

I'm getting 3 down here in Chicago.near western and Wilson.seems like the speed is very slow.The site shows the tower near me as complete.I hope this is not it, because that would be horrid.

where I live is a major hub for the Northside and we are seeing bad speeds.the tower at Irving park and Clark; less than a mile from there is getting 20 and 15.Hoping it is a backhaul issue.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm getting 3 down here in Chicago.near western and Wilson.seems like the speed is very slow.The site shows the tower near me as complete.I hope this is not it, because that would be horrid.

where I live is a major hub for the Northside and we are seeing bad speeds.the tower at Irving park and Clark; less than a mile from there is getting 20 and 15.Hoping it is a backhaul issue.

Any help is appreciated.

I hear you. I have been pulling 3 down by the antenna on Milwaukee and California and some parts in East Lakeview. I thought LTE was supposed to be faster.

LTE rounding blommer's chocolate on the metra where i normally get 1x. kept it all the way into the station. none in the market. got it outside walking and in my building! It's not the fastest right now, but @ 1.3-ish down, it's waaay faster at my work than what my 3g used to be.

Yeah, yesterday was the first day I was able to get LTE in Ogilvie. Not terribly fast relative to what LTE can do, but an improvement nonetheless.

Any help is appreciated.

I hear you. I have been pulling 3 down by the antenna on Milwaukee and California and some parts in East Lakeview. I thought LTE was supposed to be faster.

Yeah, yesterday was the first day I was able to get LTE in Ogilvie. Not terribly fast relative to what LTE can do, but an improvement nonetheless.

LTE performance is very signal strength dependent. You likely have a weak LTE signal. In Android devices, the LTE signal is not shown in the "bars", only voice is shown. See this explanation: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

With a weak LTE signal, you will likely get 5Mbps or less. However, as density increases with more and more sites going live, performance will improve significantly.

Robert

LTE is picking up more and more now in the New Lenox / far east Joliet area. Was getting some weird speeds (7000 kbps down, 60 up the other day) but today in the same area got 22000 kbps down 11000 kbps on Laraway right by the Racetrack. 4G and 3G still switch back and forth in New Lenox some, but its improving!

Oh, and loving the Note 2.

• Like 1

LTE is picking up more and more now in the New Lenox / far east Joliet area. Was getting some weird speeds (7000 kbps down, 60 up the other day) but today in the same area got 22000 kbps down 11000 kbps on Laraway right by the Racetrack. 4G and 3G still switch back and forth in New Lenox some, but its improving!

Oh, and loving the Note 2.

The racetrack should have excellent coverage and LTE. After all, they do have a sprint cup series race there.

Robert.Just to followup.I went to the tower by my house (Wilson and Western) and am only getting 5 megs down.so that is what it is capable of at this point.do you think we will see the 20/10 that I an seeing at Irving park (less than 6 blocks away)?

the signal is as good as it gets here and 5 down?.might a well go back to my OG evo.

any help would be appreciated.

Robert.Just to followup.I went to the tower by my house (Wilson and Western) and am only getting 5 megs down.so that is what it is capable of at this point.do you think we will see the 20/10 that I an seeing at Irving park (less than 6 blocks away)?

the signal is as good as it gets here and 5 down?.might a well go back to my OG evo.

any help would be appreciated.

It would seem to me (although I'm not Robert, whom you addressed) that you think you are getting LTE from Wilson and Western but are really getting LTE from Irving Park being that it is signal strength dependant. That would explain slower speeds by your house compared to 6 blocks away...

I live by Wilson and California.

the Other direction.

impossible for me to get signal from that tower at Irving park Rd.

I an using that as THE example of what it SHOULD be.the tower I connect to is Wilson and Western.this is what tech support and I figured out 2 months ago.now it says that the tower at Wilson is complete on the maps.

and I am getting bad speeds.went over there today and did multiple tests around the site.walked almost 3 miles to check at different distances to see if speed was different.only got to 5mbps at highest point.

so I would like to know if that's it. out if there are backhaul upgrade still to come.

Thank You.