Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Robert.Just to followup.I went to the tower by my house (Wilson and Western) and am only getting 5 megs down.so that is what it is capable of at this point.do you think we will see the 20/10 that I an seeing at Irving park (less than 6 blocks away)?

the signal is as good as it gets here and 5 down?.might a well go back to my OG evo.

any help would be appreciated.

What was your signal strength in your LTE Engineering screen in RSRP when you were at the tower?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Robert via LG Viper with ICS using Forum Runner

I think I owe you all an apology for bring A PITA.

The tower by me is not broadcasting 4g as far as I can tell.I am getting 110-140DB from it.also by my house I an getting 93-112DB . The maps show it complete and yet the signal must be from another tower since the DB is so high.

I hope that they turn it on soon.And I wonder where the hell the tower is that IS broadcasting. SHEESH.

Thank You all for the help.And I apologize to you Robert the most since I've been a whiny Beotch about it.

• Like 1

A site appearing on the map does not guarantee operation. There are dozens of sites that are complete and accepted by Sprint but are not operating.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

Thanks for this, I have one by my work that is labeled as 3G/4G but I can't get an LTE signal from it even when I'm right underneath it...

Thanks for this, I have one by my work that is labeled as 3G/4G but I can't get an LTE signal from it even when I'm right underneath it...

Do we know when they will turn them on? Is there an imminent formal launch? There are many areas in the City of Chicago where you get 4G one day and 3G on another. Not complaining given the amount of work that has been done, just would like to know.

Thanks,

Do we know when they will turn them on? Is there an imminent formal launch? There are many areas in the City of Chicago where you get 4G one day and 3G on another. Not complaining given the amount of work that has been done' date=' just would like to know.

Thanks,[/quote']

Chicago is in prelaunch mode now. Almost all the sites that are complete are active. Some sites get taken down occasionally for various reasons. We don't know when formal launch will be. It will likely be sometime this month. But nothing changes really at formal launch. It's just a milestone and a press release.

They will just keep adding more and more service every week until complete, regardless of announcements.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

All the towers in my area are finally marked 3G/800 now after 800's been active for a couple months. Seen them out working on the tower again today, so i'm starting to get a little antsy. :)

Probably just came out for 800 inspection last week over the whole area. Maybe you are about to be smacked with the LTE wand! :fingers:

Robert

Not so patiently waiting for them to finish up along the Edens corridor. Old Orchard is still a slow 3G and so is Edens Plaza. There is one seemingly intermittent tower a bit further north but I don't always lock to it going by. And there is nothing really east of 94 north of Evanston.

Anyone have an idea when this area might get lit up with some 4G love :(

Is anyone having issues losing data connection around the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates/Elgin area? Like, frequently? I put a new AOSP ROM on my phone, and I'm wondering if that could be the culprit or if it's just Sprint's network.

I'm beginning to think it's the ROM, but I wanted to get some other feedback first.

Is anyone having issues losing data connection around the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates/Elgin area? Like, frequently? I put a new AOSP ROM on my phone, and I'm wondering if that could be the culprit or if it's just Sprint's network.

I'm beginning to think it's the ROM, but I wanted to get some other feedback first.

Yeah, a good portion of the entire I-90 corridor west of Rt 53 seems to be very spotty. Although the maps show a few 4G towers along that stretch, I am under the assumption that signal strength must be low. The occasional 4G locks that I get only show about 1.5 to 2.0 mbps of download speed. 4g may lock on but quickly drops back to 3g. I'm hoping they fill in this stretch with more 4G coverage soon as well as 290/53 south of I-90 which seems to be a 4G dead spot as well.

Download sensorly from the play store real good at tracking lte

I use Sensorly quite a bit. I'm probably one of the big mappers in this area. Mapped a new area in Crystal Lake over the weekend too. I just want to map something a bit closer!

The only downside to LTE coming live in Chicagoland is the traffic on this post is getting less and less exciting. I'm still waiting/hoping for some LTE love in DeKalb and the loop to get saturated with it. That keeps me active in Sensorly and on this site!

Anyone seeing anything in Rochelle, Ottawa, or anything near DeKalb yet?

• Like 2

Unfortunately' date=' when you zoom in it lloks less impressive...[/quote']

Only because nobody has physically mapped those locations, not because the signal is somehow skipping over those "holes"

Only because nobody has physically mapped those locations, not because the signal is somehow skipping over those "holes"

Incorrect. I work in the loop. There are significant portions that are not lit up yet. In fact coverage on 3G isn't fantastic either because of the conversion work they are doing. I am on roaming most of the day - my office is at Monroe & State.

Incorrect. I work in the loop. There are significant portions that are not lit up yet. In fact coverage on 3G isn't fantastic either because of the conversion work they are doing. I am on roaming most of the day - my office is at Monroe & State.

He is not incorrect. Your two comments are not conflicting. It is true to say that the "holes" have not been mapped, and also to say that service in the Loop is still spotty. Not even one quarter of all the Loop sites have been converted to 3G/4G.

• Like 1

I have CM10 on my S3, and LTE works fine on my phone in Schaumburg. I haven't been to the northern part of Schaumburg in a while, though, since I live in the southern part and work in Addison.

FWIW, AOSP ROMs on the S3 have trouble keeping a 3G connection, so if you're not getting LTE, the data drops kind of frequently. If I'm not mistaken, there are a couple towers in the northern Schaumburg/HE area that are awaiting upgrades, and my phone had the hardest time keeping a 4G connection while nearby towers were being upgraded. It kept falling back to 3G, which meant CM10 would disconnect constantly.

So, your problems are partly ROM-related, but also partly NV-related. Once the towers in those areas are completed, you should have no trouble holding a 4G connection on an AOSP ROM.

• Like 1

He is not incorrect. Your two comments are not conflicting. It is true to say that the "holes" have not been mapped, and also to say that service in the Loop is still spotty. Not even one quarter of all the Loop sites have been converted to 3G/4G.

So glad to hear that Chicago has not lit up all of the 3G/4G sites. Speeds are great at Clark and Fullerton. I get consistant 12-18 down , but if I walk 3 blocks North....nada. Thank you for the hand holding through this process. I know a lot of would have given up by now if we didn't have you here to explain things. We are almost there everyone...just sit tight. January should be glorious.

I have CM10 on my S3, and LTE works fine on my phone in Schaumburg. I haven't been to the northern part of Schaumburg in a while, though, since I live in the southern part and work in Addison.

FWIW, AOSP ROMs on the S3 have trouble keeping a 3G connection, so if you're not getting LTE, the data drops kind of frequently. If I'm not mistaken, there are a couple towers in the northern Schaumburg/HE area that are awaiting upgrades, and my phone had the hardest time keeping a 4G connection while nearby towers were being upgraded. It kept falling back to 3G, which meant CM10 would disconnect constantly.

So, your problems are partly ROM-related, but also partly NV-related. Once the towers in those areas are completed, you should have no trouble holding a 4G connection on an AOSP ROM.

Yeah, I read quite a bit about it and it looks like it's both. Thing is, it seems to drop anytime there is an LTE signal available. If there isn't one, 3G seems to work fine. But if I'm in a known area for LTE, I get nothing. Very frustrating. The only way I solved it was to go into the Mobile Network Settings and go to the option that doesn't involve LTE. So now I have zero chance to get it.

I'm waiting for my go-to TW ROM to update so I can head to that until the AOSP guys get this figured out. The other knock on AOSP ROMs right now is the bottom mic doesn't work when recording. And since you have to basically be speaking DIRECTLY into the top mic for it to pick you up, it's 100% useless for any type of recording.

If the TW ROM doesn't get updated soon, I'm heading back to ICS.

Yeah, I read quite a bit about it and it looks like it's both. Thing is, it seems to drop anytime there is an LTE signal available. If there isn't one, 3G seems to work fine.

I think that's the part that's NV-related. I couldn't keep the 4G connection to save my life while nearby towers were being upgraded. Thing is, I had the same behavior on the stock Touchwiz ROM, except it held the 3G connection fine. It just didn't stay connected to 4G. So, it was no different for me on TW or CM except that CM wouldn't hold the 3G connection.