Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I also have the EVO LTE. I've been getting signal up and down harlem between archer and 71. One issue I have, is that the LTE signal doesn't activate until I toggle between airplane mode. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Lastly, on sensorly you will be able to see the area I am talking about which is getting the 4g signal.

Thanks

Well I usually root my phone to change thur roms but can't really offer any help. I'm still on stock and have never done system updates either, guess it might of been a lucky move on my part because I don't have to toggle airplane mode. Lastly ima try n try sensorly this weekend.

Well I usually root my phone to change thur roms but can't really offer any help. I'm still on stock and have never done system updates either, guess it might of been a lucky move on my part because I don't have to toggle airplane mode. Lastly ima try n try sensorly this weekend.

What are the benefits of "rooting" a phone? Pro and cons

What are the benefits of "rooting" a phone? Pro and cons

These links might help.

http://www.knowyourc...smartphone.html

http://www.vikitech....g-android-phone

Also, don't worry so much about the warranty-voiding part. There has been an internal Sprint memo leaked around the internet directing employees to treat rooted phones the same as non-rooted phones, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: A lot of those cons are overblown in both articles, especially the parts about bricking the phone. The biggest con isn't even mentioned in either. The biggest con is that by running as the root user, if your phone gets hacked, you're giving the intruder unlimited access to your life. But, apparently the people writing those articles don't care about that little stuff.

Edited by EndlessDissent

Are your 3G speeds up there good now as well? I'm usually in the south loop/Bridgeport area and not only is there no LTE but 3G remains unusable, and not even EHRPD yet. Lucky for me I live in one of the best covered LTE area's in the area.

I would definitely turn off automatic time until the fix is done. That can really mess you up.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Thanks Robert. I never thought about doing that, but it is a simple and quick fix. LMAO...

• Like 1

These links might help.

http://www.knowyourc...smartphone.html

http://www.vikitech....g-android-phone

Also, don't worry so much about the warranty-voiding part. There has been an internal Sprint memo leaked around the internet directing employees to treat rooted phones the same as non-rooted phones, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Edit: A lot of those cons are overblown in both articles, especially the parts about bricking the phone. The biggest con isn't even mentioned in either. The biggest con is that by running as the root user, if your phone gets hacked, you're giving the intruder unlimited access to your life. But, apparently the people writing those articles don't care about that little stuff.

If you run CM, you can turn off root in the settings menu. You can also allow root for only apps or for apps and adb. Turning off adb root will protect you a lot and it isnt needed until you like to muck around on the file system of your phone

What is weird about my phone is that there have been a number of times that my clock has changed to Eastern Time and the connection is still 3G. Why would that be?

There is a post about this somewhere...but the 4G cores were tested in Indiana when they were in Eastern time. Sprint is aware of the issue and its usually changed shortly after the tower is accepted by Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

There is a post about this somewhere...but the 4G cores were tested in Indiana when they were in Eastern time. Sprint is aware of the issue and its usually changed shortly after the tower is accepted by Sprint.

Hmmm... This makes me even more optimistic that a tower near me is about to get turned on soon. As I mentioned a couple pages ago, I've been having trouble staying connected to 4G, and one of my theories was that another, closer (or at least equidistant) tower is being upgraded. Now, to top it off, for the last couple days, my phone has been setting itself to Eastern Time. Maybe the tower will be permanently activated soon. I can hardly contain my excitement.

• Like 1

I have had LTE at the Addison red line stop and down Addison to Broadway .

Speedtest speeds in the 18 Mbps range and upload around 6 Mbps.

Signal drops out by Broadway back to 3G. Kept LTE from Addison all the way to Argyle but gy Argyle couldnt complete speedtest.

Because this website has been so informative over the past few weeks, I registered to let you know that I was getting LTE on my iPhone 5 on Altgeld and Halsted in Lincoln Park. I've been getting it between the Addison and Wilson Redline stops the past week, but this is the first signal I've gotten in this area.

• Like 3

Here's something that I've been putting together over the last month. I've been doing a screenshot about once per week. It's a little rough around the edges and probably not the most accurate thing to go by given that it's crowdsourced data, but it at least gives some idea of how things are progressing.

sensorly-data.gif

EDIT: the dates of each screenshot are 9/18/12, 9/27/12, 10/2/12, and 10/9/12. Sorry, the text at the top of each shot might not be totally clear.

we need an updated one of these. Pretty please. :D:tu:

• Like 1

4g now works in Winfield, just noticed today. Seems to work along Winfield road just north of the hospital and near the hospital itself.

~20mb/sec

Still having problems receiving phone calls though. I'm on a CM10, might have to mess with radios.

4g now works in Winfield' date=' just noticed today. Seems to work along Winfield road just north of the hospital and near the hospital itself.

~20mb/sec

Still having problems receiving phone calls though. I'm on a CM10, might have to mess with radios.[/quote']

What intersection were you at???! This is close to my workplace!!!! Been waiting for them to start upgrading in Wheaton area.

What intersection were you at???! This is close to my workplace!!!! Been waiting for them to start upgrading in Wheaton area.

Winfield and Oakwood. I think the tower itself is at Geneva and County Farm. Using testmy.net, which is supposed to be more accurate than the speedtest app, I got 29.8. Gone through about 2gb of data today, whoops.

Might've even come on yesterday, I had my lte off and was shocked to see it connect today while I was fiddling around.

Because this website has been so informative over the past few weeks, I registered to let you know that I was getting LTE on my iPhone 5 on Altgeld and Halsted in Lincoln Park. I've been getting it between the Addison and Wilson Redline stops the past week, but this is the first signal I've gotten in this area.

Yesterday I also received first LTE signal in Lincoln Park to, about a mile west of there - Altgeld and Marshfield. Had it much of the day though gone by evening and have not picked it up this morning - but considering how bad Sprint coverage historically has been in LP, this is very encouraging.

Edit: Speak and am proven wrong - just looked at S3 - getting LTE again at the moment.

Edited by bshaw100

Winfield and Oakwood. I think the tower itself is at Geneva and County Farm. Using testmy.net' date=' which is supposed to be more accurate than the speedtest app, I got 29.8. Gone through about 2gb of data today, whoops.

Might've even come on yesterday, I had my lte off and was shocked to see it connect today while I was fiddling around.[/quote']

There are three possible towers that you could connect to from that interesction.

1. Behind the Hospital (closest)

2. Near Graf Park behind the DuPage County building.

3. North Ave and St. Charles Rd

My bet would be the 3rd one. I saw them updating that tower with new radios and microwave backhaul 2 weeks ago.

Any issues of LTE being turned *off* in any areas? I had excellent LTE near my house, but now I only have 1xRTT network (not even 3G EVDO!). Basically, I only have the little "circle" in my iPhone, not even "3G". Have tried updating PRL, clearing network settings, etc. It must be a tower issue because in other parts of Chicago, I can get LTE. Is Sprint going back and forth? Is it worth it to create a network ticket?

Any issues of LTE being turned *off* in any areas? I had excellent LTE near my house' date=' but now I only have 1xRTT network (not even 3G EVDO!). Basically, I only have the little "circle" in my iPhone, not even "3G". Have tried updating PRL, clearing network settings, etc. It must be a tower issue because in other parts of Chicago, I can get LTE. Is Sprint going back and forth? Is it worth it to create a network ticket?[/quote']

How long have you had LTE at your house? What the closest major intersection to your home?

How long have you had LTE at your house? What the closest major intersection to your home?

ellis / 50. had it actually for a good week with speeds up to 20mb down! consistently, all over my block and neighboring streets. my phone will occasionally go to 3g and get ehrpd speeds around here, but lately it's been 1xRTT here. in other areas of the city, LTE picks up just fine.

There are three possible towers that you could connect to from that interesction.

1. Behind the Hospital (closest)

2. Near Graf Park behind the DuPage County building.

3. North Ave and St. Charles Rd

My bet would be the 3rd one. I saw them updating that tower with new radios and microwave backhaul 2 weeks ago.

This is what Sprint's maps shows. I guess apps have always lied to me. I'm definitely closest to the hospital but it could be the one on north giving me 4g.

I live in Winfield near the hospital and I haven't seen any LTE in the area at all, and I still can barely hold a call. 3G speeds are decent though.

Which direction are you from the hospital? Even with the weather today I'm getting over 10mb, there's definitely some coverage to the north.

ellis / 50. had it actually for a good week with speeds up to 20mb down! consistently, all over my block and neighboring streets. my phone will occasionally go to 3g and get ehrpd speeds around here, but lately it's been 1xRTT here. in other areas of the city, LTE picks up just fine.

They might just be tinkering with the tower. The closes tower to you is 51st and Martin Luther King. Maps show its upgraded to 4G and accepted by sprint. Maybe they're doing work on it for 800mhz? But at this point I'm just guessing.