Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I think that's the part that's NV-related. I couldn't keep the 4G connection to save my life while nearby towers were being upgraded. Thing is, I had the same behavior on the stock Touchwiz ROM, except it held the 3G connection fine. It just didn't stay connected to 4G. So, it was no different for me on TW or CM except that CM wouldn't hold the 3G connection.

That is strange. I didn't have much of a problem holding an LTE connection on TW, but I can't get one at all on AOSP anymore. It's like the handoff is totally borked for some reason. Would it have anything to do with the 800mhz band Sprint's implementing as well? Maybe it was working fine for the towers that didn't have this piece, but as soon as they added it (which they have done to a few towers around my area) that's what's causing the issue?

The only downside to LTE coming live in Chicagoland is the traffic on this post is getting less and less exciting. I'm still waiting/hoping for some LTE love in DeKalb and the loop to get saturated with it. That keeps me active in Sensorly and on this site!

Anyone seeing anything in Rochelle' date=' Ottawa, or anything near DeKalb yet?[/quote']

Nothing in DeKalb, no backhaul or radios installed yet. Just cabinets.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

you're all not going to believe this' date=' but I got 49.35 down and 18.6 up at Orleans and Chicago downtown.

not lying have the speed test to prove it.

WOW.

JUST WOW.[/quote']

It's not possible. It's a problem with your speed test. It cannot be faster than 37.5Mbps. I would occasionally get 40Mbps speed test results. But those aren't possible either.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 1

(NOOB)

FWIW,

Just got LG Optimus G today from Sprint store at Clark and Division. They said no 4G there but maybe over on State street. My apt is at Clark and Schiller. 5 bars of LTE even though Sensorly says nothing there. Speed Test: 13.5Mbps down, 10.2Mbps up.

I was worried about losing WiMax speeds and maybe having to go WiFi at home, but looks like I've got LTE. (Either that or I'm a blithering idiot, which is a distinct possibility...)

(NOOB)

FWIW,

Just got LG Optimus G today from Sprint store at Clark and Division. They said no 4G there but maybe over on State street. My apt is at Clark and Schiller. 5 bars of LTE even though Sensorly says nothing there. Speed Test: 13.5Mbps down, 10.2Mbps up.

I was worried about losing WiMax speeds and maybe having to go WiFi at home, but looks like I've got LTE. (Either that or I'm a blithering idiot, which is a distinct possibility...)

Well, you should be using WiFi at home, regardless of your cellular connection-

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2062-debate-on-whether-you-should-offload-smartphone-data-on-wifi-even-though-you-pay-for-unlimited/

As for "bars of LTE"-

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

• Like 4

(NOOB)

FWIW,

Well map it on sensorly then lol

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch using Tapatalk 2

Never dawned on me for that on WiFi at home. Figured SE plan actually meant unlimited. But easily rectified with an NFC tag in the house.

As to the LTE bars, followed that sequence. -86dBm. Pretty much puts me in "very good" signal...

• Like 1

Never dawned on me for that on WiFi at home. Figured SE plan actually meant unlimited. But easily rectified with an NFC tag in the house.

As to the LTE bars' date=' followed that sequence. -86dBm. Pretty much puts me in "very good" signal...[/quote']

That is a very strong signal.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Robert,

FYI, you may want to edit that LTE bars post for the Optimus G. The keystroke sequence is the same for the Opitmus G as the EVO,Viper,PHOTON Q.

And apparently the Optimus G's 4g icon applies to data and not just voice (like the iPhone5). (The manual says the icon is for data also).

Again, all this is prefaced by being a "NOOB". (legal disclaimer for anything I post could be total nonsense and I cannot be sued or held accountable for it.) :)

Hey everyone, just wanted to apologize to sg4ru and especially robert for a comment I made a month ago on this thread. I was a bit inebriated and just so frustrated that I said some things that I really regret. If it was not for this site, the wonderful people on it, and Robert keeping it going, I would have gone crazy and changed my carriers a long time ago. I just wanted to apologize and thank everyone for keeping this site going and making us some of the most informed customers in any industry.

• Like 1

Robert' date='

FYI, you may want to edit that LTE bars post for the Optimus G. The keystroke sequence is the same for the Opitmus G as the EVO,Viper,PHOTON Q.

And apparently the Optimus G's 4g icon applies to data and not just voice (like the iPhone5). (The manual says the icon is for data also).

Again, all this is prefaced by being a "NOOB". (legal disclaimer for anything I post could be total nonsense and I cannot be sued or held accountable for it.) :)[/quote']

That will be great if it does. If it does show the LTE signal, it will be the first Sprint Android device to do it.

He is not incorrect. Your two comments are not conflicting. It is true to say that the "holes" have not been mapped, and also to say that service in the Loop is still spotty. Not even one quarter of all the Loop sites have been converted to 3G/4G.

This is true I have yet to receive 4G service anywhere in the loop outside of LSD. I work near Jackson/Wells, no 4G anywhere near there or even down Jackson toward State. 3G is rather slow and under performing as well, I assume and hope its due to NV.

I ahve noticed most of the sites in the north suburbs from des plaines to glencoe that have accepted 4g have microwave backhaul. or atleast the equiptment for them and the ones that are still not accpeted seem to not have microwave antennas on them and are probably waiting for backhaul.

ALSO i have noticed that in the last few weeks my 1x connection over the same area has gone from connecting to 800 smr channel 10 first to connecting to 1900 (right?) band 375 first. i have only connected to smr 800 once since i noticed this and that was inside a building.

I ahve noticed most of the sites in the north suburbs from des plaines to glencoe that have accepted 4g have microwave backhaul. or atleast the equiptment for them and the ones that are still not accpeted seem to not have microwave antennas on them and are probably waiting for backhaul.

ALSO i have noticed that in the last few weeks my 1x connection over the same area has gone from connecting to 800 smr channel 10 first to connecting to 1900 (right?) band 375 first. i have only connected to smr 800 once since i noticed this and that was inside a building.

I believe Digiblur said recently that most of the Sprint PRL updates recently removed Chicago 800 Voice capability again. This may be why. It's probably a temporary measure.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Am I crazy or has LTE deployment seriously slowed down? It seemed like it was lighting up all over the place a month ago. I know they're 70% complete in Chicagoland, but I should think the vast majority or remaining sites is in the city...between all the dead zones and having an EVO Lte, I'm on 4G pretty much never. Does anybody know what's going on? I'm hoping their plan wasn't to get to 70% in a given market and then send resources elsewhere only to fill in holes later...it's all holes!

Am I crazy or has LTE deployment seriously slowed down? It seemed like it was lighting up all over the place a month ago. I know they're 70% complete in Chicagoland, but I should think the vast majority or remaining sites is in the city...between all the dead zones and having an EVO Lte, I'm on 4G pretty much never. Does anybody know what's going on? I'm hoping their plan wasn't to get to 70% in a given market and then send resources elsewhere only to fill in holes later...it's all holes!

I made a comment like this earlier, I think in this same thread. I was hoping that when they got to a certain percentage, they would stick it out until it's done. Hopefully they don't have a "good enough" number and roll with it that way, and as you said, move resources along. I know they updated a lot of towers in Chicago proper to LTE as evidenced by the map in the sponsors section, but I'd like to see more upgrades than just LTE. NV, in it's initial intent, was about more than simply rolling out LTE and I think Sprint should stick with it.

Part of your issue though is that EVO, it's horrid for LTE.

I think that only about 44% of the towers in the Chicagoland area are transmitting LTE right now. 70% of the towers have had NV work done on them, but that doesn’t mean LTE has been activated on those towers yet.

Work is still ongoing in Chicago. I wouldn't call a production rate of 30+ sites per week stopping. That's still 120+ per month. It's still going.

I believe Digiblur said recently that most of the Sprint PRL updates recently removed Chicago 800 Voice capability again. This may be why. It's probably a temporary measure.

Only 24009 and 25009 has them now.

Sent from my EVO sometimes-LTE

I have a quick question for those with the EVO LTE.

I'm still on 1.13.651...

I've been holding out on updating because I like keeping my options open for root access/unlocked bootloader. I rooted like last week just to test some things out and to put Google Now on my phone.

If you have this phone on the latest firmware are you connecting to LTE more consistently? I know I have LTE in my neighborhood but it's just a chore to connect to it consistently. I'll update to the latest firmware if it will improve my connection.

If nothing else works, I'm going to go to Sprint and try to get the phone exchanged for the GS3. There's a Sprint store in my town that gets great LTE coverage so I figure if I show them side by side how my phone isn't connecting like the GS3 is or iPhone then that should be a good start to getting the GS3.

Wish me luck

Edited by LTEKen

Only 24009 and 25009 has them now.

Sent from my EVO sometimes-LTE

Is there a newer PRL than 24009 for the S3? I just tried a manual update and that's what it left me with.

Does the PRL impact accessing 4G? Or is that something that is auto negotiated with the tower?