LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

I was talking more about tweaking the signal limits for LTE on each LTE band.  I am not sure without doing a teardown of both the G2 and N5 if they use different antenna components for each LTE band.  If they do use different antenna components for each phone, then the N5 just have better antennas period. If they use the same antenna components then maybe something in the firmware can be tweaked to improve performance.  Might not be as good as N5 still but can at least reduce the gap.  It could also be that the PA and filters are better on the N5 or can produce more power.  Who knows.

That's very interesting.  Now I'm curious as to how the original signal limits are derived.  I would hope through testing and measurement; finding the best performance and thresholds 

There is no workaround on the CSFB issue that you can do yourself.  I disagree that the CSFB is not coming anytime soon.  Sprint is working hard on trying to alleviate the eCSFB issue in all the affected markets as we speak so it could be any day now that your LTE will be fixed.  About the iPhone, the reason why your wife has LTE is because the iPhone 5C is not a single radio LTE phone that relies on eCSFB unlike the G2.  Its an apples to oranges comparison.  Only triband LTE phones such as G2, N5, Galaxy Mega, HTC One Max, and GS4 mini are affected by the eCSFB issue.

Thanks for the reply. I agree it is apples to oranges as far as the phones go but as far as user experience it very disappointing. I have been waiting patiently for well over a year and when LTE finally shows up here I still can't use it on the handset of my chosing. I assume there is a benefit to the CSFB thing, I am just getting tired of waiting. I guess the older I get the less I want to monkey with things and really just want a phone to work. 

Thanks for the reply. I agree it is apples to oranges as far as the phones go but as far as user experience it very disappointing. I have been waiting patiently for well over a year and when LTE finally shows up here I still can't use it on the handset of my chosing. I assume there is a benefit to the CSFB thing, I am just getting tired of waiting. I guess the older I get the less I want to monkey with things and really just want a phone to work. 

Your damn well correct there is a benefit of eCSFB.  You should take a look at this Qualcomm brochure in the link below that talks about eCSFB and 1x.  You'll realize why Sprint is moving to eCSFB and will be thankful that Sprint is upgrading its equipment now rather than later.  Lets just say that VoLTE for Verizon and Sprint cannot exist unless you have eCSFB installed.  Does growing pains suck?  Hell yes but unfortunately it is part of the process of revamping your network and doing it correctly.

Read this response

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-breaking-band-tri-band-lte-ecsfb-issues-thread/?p=240187

Qualcomm brochure for reference that shows the pros and cons of eCSFB.

http://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/qualcomm-technologies-circuit-switched-fallback-to-1x-voice-network-architecture-options-and-performance.pdf

Found the problem. The tower is 4g lte accepted but is still facing some issues should be resolved sooni hope

So I'm confused I am in a market where even on 4g lte only sites I can pick up band 25 lte no problem on my G2. The most important tower in my city just went live with 4g lte only and I am unable to connect to it with the G2 but my girlfriend's Galaxy Note 2 connects with no issues. I thought only towers with 3G and 4G LTE upgrades will allow triband to connect but in my city that is not the case except with this new tower than just went live? Someone working on the tower said the are having red issues on the 800 LTE and are trying to fix it. I asked him if 800 LTE is live out of the gate and he insists that it is. I showed him that the GN2 will connect no problem but my G2 won't. He suggested a PRL update so I did and still nothing. I have two days left in my 14 day return period but if that tower is not going to be upgrading to support triband anytime soon as much as I don't want to I will have to bail on Sprint since I have been waiting since June 3, 2010 for a form of wide spread 4G and they still have not delivered. Gonna call tech support right now even though I know they are useless.

Initial Testing of RF strengths...Using Speedtest.net as the basis, using the Tampa, FL server.

LG G2 has a -98dBm signal on average in this spot.  Nexus 5 has -94 dBm on average in the same spot. 

I did 3 speed tests in a row on both of them within 2 minutes.

LG G2 scored;

16.57 DL 3.92 UL

18.67 DL 4.61 UL

17.18 DL 3.77 UL

So it averages 17.47 DL, 4.1 UL for the G2.

Nexus 5 scored;

13.03 DL 4.45 UL

13.60 DL 5.77 UL

13.86 DL 4.24 UL

So it averages 13.50 DL, 4.82 UL for the Nexus 5.

Overall, the G2 is a lot better in LTE performance in terms of speeds, however if the Nexus 5 can hold onto a signal better then it'll likely be better.  I wont be able to test the Nexus 5's reliability until early next week (streaming in the car compared to the G2.)

1X signal appears to be stronger on the G2, by roughly 1-2dBm.  Haven't tested 3G.

Thanks it will help me decide between the two

I've noticed the earpiece static noise a couple times now, but not every call.  I don't make that many calls though, but it makes me nervous.

On another site, I found out about a benchmarking app called AnTuTu. I'm guessing the advanced users here already know about it.  People were reporting scores between 33-35k.  I'm in the 28-29k range.  Has anyone else tried it?

It is disappointing, however as others have stated, CSFB is a Good Thing™. If you can't wait it out in your area, that's understandable; any Sprint LTE device other than those released within the past month should work just fine for you today. Just realize that these newer devices will be the better options in the long run, and Sprint's vendors are actively out there fixing the CSFB issues.

-Mike

• Like 1

So, can anyone confirm if the ATL area should have band 41? I thought I did, but checking ##debug# shows me connected to only band 26 even though I have changed my LTE priority via ##data#.... Is it not live yet?

I'm not sure about ATL but do you mean you are connected to Band 25? Band 26 is 800 LTE which by my understanding is not available yet.

Yes, I mean I only get connected to band 25. I get those two bands confused... Sorry for the double post.  I mean that I'm only connecting to Band 25, not Band 41 (and definitly not Band 26) in ATL (at least where I have been here since I got the phone, which is mostly North ATL Suburbs).

Yes, I mean I only get connected to band 25. I get those two bands confused... Sorry for the double post.  I mean that I'm only connecting to Band 25, not Band 41 (and definitly not Band 26) in ATL (at least where I have been here since I got the phone, which is mostly North ATL Suburbs).

I was going to say check in the ATL forum but that forum is pretty dead it seems.

I am in the Metro Atlanta area and have B25 and B41 active on my G2. I do not seem to have connected to any B41 at all.

I am finding B25 nearly everywhere I go and am getting consistant 20 up and 10 down on speed tests.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band LG G2.

• Like 1

Signal trumps all. That is the only difference between now and before.

Have you been able to pass 20mbps frequently I've tried many places in LA, but I only get maybe 9 some days 19mbps or so are extremely rare.

Have you been able to pass 20mbps frequently I've tried many places in LA, but I only get maybe 9 some days 19mbps or so are extremely rare.

It varies with me depending on how close I am to the tower.  On my way to work I don't get encounter LTE until I get to work and inside my office I don't get LTE.  Its only when I go eat lunch that I can do speedtests and what not.  I am not too concerned about it since we have a triband LTE phone.  Once we get the Sprint Spark firmware update, I am hoping stability of B41 and B26 as well as signal thresholds for all LTE bands are fixed in the phone.  

It varies with me depending on how close I am to the tower. On my way to work I don't get encounter LTE until I get to work and inside my office I don't get LTE. Its only when I go eat lunch that I can do speedtests and what not. I am not too concerned about it since we have a triband LTE phone. Once we get the Sprint Spark firmware update, I am hoping stability of B41 and B26 as well as signal thresholds for all LTE bands are fixed in the phone.

Its just apparent I'm starting to think I have a defective radio I get the exact same rf performance that I had with my note 2

Its just apparent I'm starting to think I have a defective radio I get the exact same rf performance that I had with my note 2

Have you stood near a confirmed LTE tower and did speedtests?  What were your signal levels when you did your speedtests?  I mean you have to keep in mind that there are a ton of B25 LTE devices out there so does it really matter if you don't get 20-30 Mbps speeds?  Being in the heart of LA, I wouldn't be surprised until more sites get upgraded to LTE.

I've noticed the earpiece static noise a couple times now, but not every call.  I don't make that many calls though, but it makes me nervous.

On another site, I found out about a benchmarking app called AnTuTu. I'm guessing the advanced users here already know about it.  People were reporting scores between 33-35k.  I'm in the 28-29k range.  Has anyone else tried it?

We are not alone with the crackling earpiece issue, as it seems to be an issue with certain Samsung Note 3 headsets as well.

In addition, from my reading, it also seems to be isolated to CDMA devices as I only read these issues with the G2 and Note 3 on the Sprint and Verizon network. No issues I have read with these devices on T-Mobile or AT&T

Edited by mjnoles1

Has anyone messed with their voice settings in the engineering screen? I saw you can set it from 8K TO EVRC-B. Also, in the call menu, there is a check box for "enhanced call quality". I am trying to see if there is a trend to people who have had the hiss/crackle issue while on a call. I still haven't experienced it, but I also haven't had many calls. 

Just curious, anyone else have a Otterbix Defender? If so do you get dust under the top half/quarter of the screen protector? Thats one of two things i dislike about the case. Also has anyone tried.the Trident Ageis or the Ballistic sg maxx? Other than that its better than my note 2, only think i have to get use to is typing but i think its more the space between Defender screen protector and the actual screen.

I have the Ballistic Max case on my G2. It is a great case and protects it well without much extra bulk. The only problem is the screen protector that it comes with. The thing makes the screen nearly unresponsive since the G2 is slightly curved and the hard protector doesn't lay all the way flat. I bought an Obliq Zeiss Pure Crystal screen protector to use instead. Works perfectly. 

I have the Ballistic Max case on my G2. It is a great case and protects it well without much extra bulk. The only problem is the screen protector that it comes with. The thing makes the screen nearly unresponsive since the G2 is slightly curved and the hard protector doesn't lay all the way flat. I bought an Obliq Zeiss Pure Crystal screen protector to use instead. Works perfectly.

When i got my G2 i bought a Defender case, it says its dust proof but i have dust under the screen protector. I might get a sg maxx to try it but im hoping Trident comes out with a Kraken case for the G2. I loved my droid x2 with the Kraken had zero problems and the phone never got dust in the case. Thanks for the reply, one thing that makes the sg maxx neat to me is the user replaceable screen protector so when it gets scratched.