LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

I can't figure this out.. All it was letting me do was send sms messages.. When I clicked the phone in the top right corner it just calls the person..

I think it was straight forward last time I did it. I just hit the camera button, it called them up, then there it was. Video chat.

I think it was straight forward last time I did it. I just hit the camera button, it called them up, then there it was. Video chat.

I sent him a message to try and help him out. I love Hangout

• Like 1

FYI, finally got my G2 from Bestbuy.com Friday. Was a huge pain to activate (probably because I used a different line for upgrade eligibility), but finally got it working.

I also used a different line for upgrade eligibility. I'm curious if that will affect the gift card eligibility if the phone is activated on a different line. I guess we will see. My G2 is scheduled for delivery on the 19th.

I also used a different line for upgrade eligibility. I'm curious if that will affect the gift card eligibility if the phone is activated on a different line. I guess we will see. My G2 is scheduled for delivery on the 19th.

I wonder too... I had also signed up for the Phone Freedom back in Feb & was told I should qualify for both $50 GC's.  When I activated, I asked the rep about the Phone Freedom GC.  He said he seemed to have issues due to the upgrade from a different line. & passed me to someone else to check.  I then got disconnected from them & had to call again... Like I said the whole activation was a pain, but I did ask a few times about the GC's.  The last rep said they were going to put in an inquiry.  I will wait a few weeks & see.  Be sure to ask about the GC.  Not sure if you had signed up for the Phone Freedom too. 

I haven't messed with hangouts much. I thought the other person had to have hangouts in order to chat. I don't know anyone else who uses it.

Yes they have to have it but I've told a lot of people about it and we use that for messenger now. You can also use it with sms now.

I haven't messed with hangouts much. I thought the other person had to have hangouts in order to chat. I don't know anyone else who uses it.

ROFL...you are such a noob.  Hangouts is Google Talk and Hangouts replaced the Google Talk app entirely in Android 4.3.  In Android 4.4, Hangouts also replaced the Messaging app.

ROFL...you are such a noob. Hangouts is Google Talk and Hangouts replaced the Google Talk app entirely in Android 4.3. In Android 4.4, Hangouts also replaced the Messaging app.

One question in Android 4.4 as far as Hangouts replacing the messenger, will it change it on a phone that already has a messiging app(default)? Or will it give is a option to use one or the other

One question in Android 4.4 as far as Hangouts replacing the messenger, will it change it on a phone that already has a messiging app(default)? Or will it give is a option to use one or the other

Sent from my Nexus 5

uploadfromtaptalk1384721649404.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder too... I had also signed up for the Phone Freedom back in Feb & was told I should qualify for both $50 GC's.  When I activated, I asked the rep about the Phone Freedom GC.  He said he seemed to have issues due to the upgrade from a different line. & passed me to someone else to check.  I then got disconnected from them & had to call again... Like I said the whole activation was a pain, but I did ask a few times about the GC's.  The last rep said they were going to put in an inquiry.  I will wait a few weeks & see.  Be sure to ask about the GC.  Not sure if you had signed up for the Phone Freedom too. 

I received two $50 dollar gift cards already. I swtiched from online order and was able to pick  up from store. I was given one gift card upon pick up from the store (they weren't clear why I got this one) and received another in the email 3-4 days later. However, neither state the gift card was due to Phone Freedom that I signed up for a while back. I may have to ask about the Phone Freedom gift card. Hopefully could snaggle the remaining $50 gift card. 

Edited by puch0021

If you flash stock Android 4.4 ROM, the Messaging app apk is not there.  So to answer your question, no you don't have the option to use one or the other.  Since Hangouts now supports SMS, Google wants everyone to be using Hangouts app for Google Talk and SMS/MMS Messaging.  You will have to download a Messaging app from the Play Store like Handcent and when you first open up Handcent, it will open a pop up window asking you which app do you want to set by default for messaging and then you would select Handcent.

Even on the LG G2, it didn't come stock with the Google Talk app even though it is only Android 4.2.2 which still supports Google Talk.

So when we get the 4.4 update i can keep the lg messaging app? Im trying to explain this to my father inlaw to be. So far he loves his g2 vs his iphone but its each to there own.

No idea. We just have to wait and see. If Samsung comes out with a 4.4 update for the gs4 first, we should be able to tell since they also use a customized Samsung messaging app. I am just basing my info on what the stock android 4.4 ROM brings to the table.

If 4.4 removes the stock messaging app, LG won't be the only ones affected. Samsung and HTC will have the same problem.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

So when we get the 4.4 update i can keep the lg messaging app? Im trying to explain this to my father inlaw to be. So far he loves his g2 vs his iphone but its each to there own.

I'd be shocked if they removed the lg messaging app. You'll most likely just have the option to set either as your default.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'd be shocked if they removed the lg messaging app. You'll most likely just have the option to set either as your default.

That makes since. When you open your stock messaging app after you update it should ask then just click wich one you wany then chose always, like any other android app ( i.e. gallery vs photo veiwer on my g2 i just clicked gallery then always and done). Atleast thats what im thinking.

That makes since. When you open your stock messaging app after you update it should ask then just click wich one you wany then chose always, like any other android app ( i.e. gallery vs photo veiwer on my g2 i just clicked gallery then always and done). Atleast thats what im thinking.

Most likely you'll only be prompted if you open a non stock messaging app. Otherwise it will just assume stock messaging.

Kind of like what happens when you open a browser on your computer that's not the default... It will often prompt you asking for you to change it to the default.

Ok, I have had my phone force re-boot at least 5 times in the past day.  It happens after I double tap to turn on & then swipe to unlock the lock screen.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I have not rooted yet.  Only changed my LTE preferences with my MSL a few times.  

Did some searching & found that others have had the same issue (on Verizon Model) and apparently the Gmail 4.6 update caused it & it may be when using the Gmail Lock Screen widget.  I did happen to install that today & think that is when the problems started.  I uninstalled the latest Gmail update & will see what happens.  I may also update back to 4.6 and remove the Gmail Lock screen widget.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-lg-g2/319854-verizon-lg-g2-gmail-4-6-update-crashing-swipe-unlock.html

I have used Handcent forever. I tried to use Hangouts when I first got the G2 but it seemed like it only let you talk to other Hangouts users only. I also tried Google voice, but it seemed like call quality took a nose dive, I wouldn't receive calls but got voice mail telling me I missed a call and it took over 30 seconds to connect a call. I am not sure I would be too excited to retry Google for my call/text services unless they worked these issues out.

I have used Handcent forever. I tried to use Hangouts when I first got the G2 but it seemed like it only let you talk to other Hangouts users only. I also tried Google voice, but it seemed like call quality took a nose dive, I wouldn't receive calls but got voice mail telling me I missed a call and it took over 30 seconds to connect a call. I am not sure I would be too excited to retry Google for my call/text services unless they worked these issues out.

Hangouts had an update that supports texting now. As for voice, I just use my Sprint minutes and I never run out. (1500 minutes unlimited plan.) For texting, I just use the stock messaging app as well.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I have been using Google voice at home for a few years now. It's not on Android but on a Obi100 box. Been really impressed with it. Only had one minor outage for a few minutes. Definitely can't beat the price of it for a home phone. ;)

I have been using Google voice at home for a few years now. It's not on Android but on a Obi100 box. Been really impressed with it. Only had one minor outage for a few minutes. Definitely can't beat the price of it for a home phone. ;)

I really wanted to like Google Voice, but for almost a week I kept missing calls and it took 20-30 seconds to connect a call whenever I dialed a number. Not sure what caused it, but it was frustrating until I had the idea last night to get rid of it and my calls are back to normal.