LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

So I'm confused I am in a market where even on 4g lte only sites I can pick up band 25 lte no problem on my G2. The most important tower in my city just went live with 4g lte only and I am unable to connect to it with the G2 but my girlfriend's Galaxy Note 2 connects with no issues. I thought only towers with 3G and 4G LTE upgrades will allow triband to connect but in my city that is not the case except with this new tower than just went live? Someone working on the tower said the are having red issues on the 800 LTE and are trying to fix it. I asked him if 800 LTE is live out of the gate and he insists that it is. I showed him that the GN2 will connect no problem but my G2 won't. He suggested a PRL update so I did and still nothing. I have two days left in my 14 day return period but if that tower is not going to be upgrading to support triband anytime soon as much as I don't want to I will have to bail on Sprint since I have been waiting since June 3, 2010 for a form of wide spread 4G and they still have not delivered. Gonna call tech support right now even though I know they are useless.

Initial Testing of RF strengths...Using Speedtest.net as the basis, using the Tampa, FL server.

LG G2 has a -98dBm signal on average in this spot.  Nexus 5 has -94 dBm on average in the same spot. 

I did 3 speed tests in a row on both of them within 2 minutes.

LG G2 scored;

16.57 DL 3.92 UL

18.67 DL 4.61 UL

17.18 DL 3.77 UL

So it averages 17.47 DL, 4.1 UL for the G2.

Nexus 5 scored;

13.03 DL 4.45 UL

13.60 DL 5.77 UL

13.86 DL 4.24 UL

So it averages 13.50 DL, 4.82 UL for the Nexus 5.

Overall, the G2 is a lot better in LTE performance in terms of speeds, however if the Nexus 5 can hold onto a signal better then it'll likely be better.  I wont be able to test the Nexus 5's reliability until early next week (streaming in the car compared to the G2.)

1X signal appears to be stronger on the G2, by roughly 1-2dBm.  Haven't tested 3G.

• Like 1

Anyone tried editing a PRL for a G2?  My brother is in a market without 800smr, and his LTE/1x signal is marginal in his house.  His G2 refuses to connect to his AirRave consistently, and as a consequence he is missing calls about 50% of the time.  Any ideas?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2521276

• Like 1

Initial Testing of RF strengths...Using Speedtest.net as the basis, using the Tampa, FL server.

LG G2 has a -98dBm signal on average in this spot.  Nexus 5 has -94 dBm on average in the same spot. 

I did 3 speed tests in a row on both of them within 2 minutes.

LG G2 scored;

16.57 DL 3.92 UL

18.67 DL 4.61 UL

17.18 DL 3.77 UL

So it averages 17.47 DL, 4.1 UL for the G2.

Nexus 5 scored;

13.03 DL 4.45 UL

13.60 DL 5.77 UL

13.86 DL 4.24 UL

So it averages 13.50 DL, 4.82 UL for the Nexus 5.

Overall, the G2 is a lot better in LTE performance in terms of speeds, however if the Nexus 5 can hold onto a signal better then it'll likely be better.  I wont be able to test the Nexus 5's reliability until early next week (streaming in the car compared to the G2.)

1X signal appears to be stronger on the G2, by roughly 1-2dBm.  Haven't tested 3G.

Very interesting results.  Thanks for posting.

I've noticed that my G2 will be suck in 3g, in a known strong 4g area. So I toggle airplane mode and then it connects and holds onto that 4g no problem. I think this is related to the eCSFB issue that was posted on the wall here, correct? Forgive me, still learning. But toggling airplane mode does the trick. I noticed the same thing on my old S3 sometimes, but not as often. Thankfully it's a fast toggle on the G2.

I've noticed that my G2 will be suck in 3g, in a known strong 4g area. So I toggle airplane mode and then it connects and holds onto that 4g no problem. I think this is related to the eCSFB issue that was posted on the wall here, correct? Forgive me, still learning. But toggling airplane mode does the trick. I noticed the same thing on my old S3 sometimes, but not as often. Thankfully it's a fast toggle on the G2.

I've had issues like that. I try and do a prl update when I'm on one of those towers. It seems to fix the issue and remembers to connect to that tower. This is just what I think works for me. Not saying it is a legit fix

Its not an issue with the LG G2 per say but rather all LTE phones.  All LTE phones have a "LTE Scan Frequency" timer in seconds in which the phone is programmed to scan for LTE periodically.  Now on the HTC One Max that I played with at the Sprint store, one of the LTE menus in ##DATA# had the "LTE Scan Frequency" timer option set to 300 by default.  This tells me that the value of 300 is in seconds which means every 5 minutes it scans for LTE.  It seems like on the HTC One Max, you should be able to edit the value to say 120 so it scans every 2 minutes.  The reason for the timer is so that the phone doesn't constantly scan for LTE  and drain battery especially if you are in a rural area which won't have LTE for many many miles.

So the worse case scenario which you might have experienced is that you were driving in a 3G area and right before you hit a 4G area, your "LTE Scan Frequency" timer just ran through and found zero LTE and stays on 3G.  Now your phone has to wait another 5 minutes before it can pick up LTE even though you just entered a strong 4G area.  However you said that by toggling airplane mode it does the trick.  The reason why toggling airplane mode does the trick is because once you exit out of airplane mode, it forces the phone to search for a 3G/4G signal and of course if you are in a strong 4G signal area, your phone will pick up 4G right away.

• Like 2

Picked up B41 at work. Let's just say I was very impressed with how fast it is.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

What does did you get at -112?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Okay. I'm going to just say this...asked my brother who was sporting a galaxy s2 if I could activate the Nexus 5 on his line so I can track performance across two lines. (G2 on my line, n5 on bros).

My other brother had a football practice today and the route I took I always lose LTE on the way. I had my brother play with both phones and inform me anytime LTE went away.

...Nexus 5 hands down wins in the LTE connection category. The N5 did not lose LTE once the entire way. When my G2 dropped LTE at -121, the nexus survived with -108. Highest I've seen on this device so far is -115. LTE has not ever dropped yet.

I'll keep you guys updated but the N5 is a monster so far.

Edit: Signal here at the park of brothers practice...N5 sitting at -92dBm. G2 at -112.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 4

Its not an issue with the LG G2 per say but rather all LTE phones.  All LTE phones have a "LTE Scan Frequency" timer in seconds in which the phone is programmed to scan for LTE periodically.  Now on the HTC One Max that I played with at the Sprint store, one of the LTE menus in ##DATA# had the "LTE Scan Frequency" timer option set to 300 by default.  This tells me that the value of 300 is in seconds which means every 5 minutes it scans for LTE.  It seems like on the HTC One Max, you should be able to edit the value to say 120 so it scans every 2 minutes.  The reason for the timer is so that the phone doesn't constantly scan for LTE  and drain battery especially if you are in a rural area which won't have LTE for many many miles.

So the worse case scenario which you might have experienced is that you were driving in a 3G area and right before you hit a 4G area, your "LTE Scan Frequency" timer just ran through and found zero LTE.  Now your phone has to wait another 5 minutes before it can pick up LTE even though you just entered a strong 4G area.  However you said that by toggling airplane mode it does the trick.  The reason why toggling airplane mode does the trick is because once you exit out of airplane mode, it forces the phone to search for a 3G/4G signal and of course if you are in a strong 4G signal area, your phone will pick up 4G right away.

This site is a wealth of information.  Thank You!  I learn so much here each and every day.

Okay. I'm going to just say this...asked my brother who was sporting a galaxy s2 if I could activate the Nexus 5 on his line so I can track performance across two lines. (G2 on my line, n5 on bros). My other brother had a football practice today and the route I took I always lose LTE on the way. I had my brother play with both phones and inform me anytime LTE went away. ...Nexus 5 hands down wins in the LTE connection category. The N5 did not lose LTE once the entire way. When my G2 dropped LTE at -121, the nexus survived with -108. Highest I've seen on this device so far is -115. LTE has not ever dropped yet. I'll keep you guys updated but the N5 is a monster so far. Edit: Signal here at the park of brothers practice...N5 sitting at -92dBm. G2 at -112. Sent from my Nexus 5

Does the N5 have a better antenna/more sensitive radio?

Far superior antenna. Best in the entire sprint lineup. 

Source: I have both the LG G2 and Nexus 5 and have been testing them both since Friday. 

• Like 3

So I picked up the G2 in white the other day and have been kinda disappointed that the wife's iPhone 5c has LTE and my new top-o-the-line LG is stuck in 3g. I have changed the priority to 26 41 25 but still nothing. I assume it's due to the CSFB but is there any work around? In my market (Winston-Salem, NC) we probably won't see the CSFB any time soon knowing my luck so is there any workaround or should I return this G2 and opt for an iPhone until the network is up and running?

Source: I have both the LG G2 and Nexus 5 and have been testing them both since Friday. 

WOW, hindsight!

It can definitely hold an LTE signal in a lot more places. Will continue testing and should have some Band 41 screens Monday or next Tuesday.

G2 has a more sensitive radio judging from the two so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Okay. I'm going to just say this...asked my brother who was sporting a galaxy s2 if I could activate the Nexus 5 on his line so I can track performance across two lines. (G2 on my line, n5 on bros). My other brother had a football practice today and the route I took I always lose LTE on the way. I had my brother play with both phones and inform me anytime LTE went away. ...Nexus 5 hands down wins in the LTE connection category. The N5 did not lose LTE once the entire way. When my G2 dropped LTE at -121, the nexus survived with -108. Highest I've seen on this device so far is -115. LTE has not ever dropped yet. I'll keep you guys updated but the N5 is a monster so far. Edit: Signal here at the park of brothers practice...N5 sitting at -92dBm. G2 at -112. Sent from my Nexus 5

That is good information to know.  I wonder if a firmware update can tweak the antenna on the G2 to make some improvements.

• Like 1

How is the battery life on nexus 5, compared to G2, in your opinion (or anyone else who has both)? Some Reviewers said N5 was not ideal with screen on time. G2 has amazing battery life, but with some trade-offs like the radios we are seeing.

Edited by hake

So I picked up the G2 in white the other day and have been kinda disappointed that the wife's iPhone 5c has LTE and my new top-o-the-line LG is stuck in 3g. I have changed the priority to 26 41 25 but still nothing. I assume it's due to the CSFB but is there any work around? In my market (Winston-Salem, NC) we probably won't see the CSFB any time soon knowing my luck so is there any workaround or should I return this G2 and opt for an iPhone until the network is up and running?

There is no workaround on the CSFB issue that you can do yourself.  I disagree that the CSFB is not coming anytime soon.  Sprint is working hard on trying to alleviate the eCSFB issue in all the affected markets as we speak so it could be any day now that your LTE will be fixed.  About the iPhone, the reason why your wife has LTE is because the iPhone 5C is not a single radio LTE phone that relies on eCSFB unlike the G2.  Its an apples to oranges comparison.  Only triband LTE phones such as G2, N5, Galaxy Mega, HTC One Max, and GS4 mini are affected by the eCSFB issue.

How is the battery life on nexus 5, compared to G2, in your opinion (or anyone else who has both)? Some Reviewers said N5 was not ideal with screen on time. G2 has amazing battery life, but with some trade-offs like the radios we are seeing.

~5 hours SOT (~30 hours in total with normal usage)  with manual brightness settings. Auto-brightness is far too aggressive and will cut the battery life rapidly. The LG G2 can last around ~7 hours of SOT (~40 hours of normal usage) with manual brightness settings. 

Both charge ridiculously fast (1% a minute) so it isn't much of a problem. I end the day with around 50% battery on N5 and ~65% battery on G2 doing the same routine. 

• Like 2

That is good information to know.  I wonder if a firmware update can tweak the antenna on the G2 to make some improvements.

So, does the N5 antenna physically have more surface area than the G2 - is that why it is superior in performance?  Or, is the antenna in the N5 just electronically tuned or coupled better to the radio (SWR and all that sort of thing)?  I wouldn't mind an old style pull up aerial, if it meant better performance!  :tu:

Your mention of a firmware update to "tweak", kind of hints at electronic tuning...

So, does the N5 antenna physically have more surface area than the G2 - is that why it is superior in performance? Or, is the antenna in the N5 just electronically tuned or coupled better to the radio (SWR and all that sort of thing)? I wouldn't mind an old style pull up aerial, if it meant better performance! :tu:

Your mention of a firmware update to "tweak", kind of hints at electronic tuning...

I think it is envelope tracking. It allows more power to go into the radio.

Sent from my LG-LS980

So, does the N5 antenna physically have more surface area than the G2 - is that why it is superior in performance?  Or, is the antenna in the N5 just electronically tuned or coupled better to the radio (SWR and all that sort of thing)?  I wouldn't mind an old style pull up aerial, if it meant better performance!  :tu:

I was talking more about tweaking the signal limits for LTE on each LTE band.  I am not sure without doing a teardown of both the G2 and N5 if they use different antenna components for each LTE band.  If they do use different antenna components for each phone, then the N5 just have better antennas period. If they use the same antenna components then maybe something in the firmware can be tweaked to improve performance.  Might not be as good as N5 still but can at least reduce the gap.  It could also be that the PA and filters are better on the N5 or can produce more power than the G2.  Who knows.