Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

5 hours ago, Trip said:

Big growth potential for the rest of ShenTel's wired and fixed wireless broadband internet.  Lots of public and private money coming to close the digital divide in their non-urban markets.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JimBob said:

Big growth potential for the rest of ShenTel's wired and fixed wireless broadband internet.  Lots of public and private money coming to close the digital divide in their non-urban markets.

Yep; just on the residential side Shentel has Beam for 2.5/3.5 GHz wireless, and Glo Fiber for FTTH. Between the two, they could pick up 1MM+ customers with that $1.95B. Hopefully they do so rather than just paying out to shareholders.

• Like 1

Yes, that's my experience as well, and comports with what I was told by someone in the know when I asked if there was a "keep" list.

Given they had two years to plan, I'm not sure why they didn't work this out then, but...

- Trip

8 hours ago, Trip said:

Yes, that's my experience as well, and comports with what I was told by someone in the know when I asked if there was a "keep" list.

Given they had two years to plan, I'm not sure why they didn't work this out then, but...

- Trip

I wonder if these newer ones are experimental to see how much T-Mobile load they pickup and how much stress they relieve from surrounding sites. One I found today thats also new is litterly across the highway from an existing T-Mobile site. Maybe they're evaluating if they're worth keeping or not, or maybe some of these will be kept as B(N)41 only and not be a full build site. 

Edited to add picture for reference.

UeudBgF.png

4 hours ago, mdob07 said:

I wonder if these newer ones are experimental to see how much T-Mobile load they pickup and how much stress they relieve from surrounding sites. One I found today thats also new is litterly across the highway from an existing T-Mobile site. Maybe they're evaluating if they're worth keeping or not, or maybe some of these will be kept as B(N)41 only and not be a full build site. 

Edited to add picture for reference.

UeudBgF.png

I used to frequent those sites (oftentimes going to the Wingstop just south of that intersection).  The Sprint site gets much better coverage going east on 64 than T-Mobile's existing sites.  I also think adding the Sprint site will allow T-Mobile to reconfigure the southern site to better meet capacity demands, as coverage will be well taken care of.  

25 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

I used to frequent those sites (oftentimes going to the Wingstop just south of that intersection).  The Sprint site gets much better coverage going east on 64 than T-Mobile's existing sites.  I also think adding the Sprint site will allow T-Mobile to reconfigure the southern site to better meet capacity demands, as coverage will be well taken care of.  

Alternative would be for T-Mobile to decommission their legacy site in favor of the Sprint one, if coverage patterns or costs are better on the Sprint one. Though that'd be more long-term.

9 minutes ago, iansltx said:

Alternative would be for T-Mobile to decommission their legacy site in favor of the Sprint one, if coverage patterns or costs are better on the Sprint one. Though that'd be more long-term.

The northwest site might be a good one to decom. The Sprint site and the southern T-Mobile site would provide awesome service to the area.

Fingers crossed that's their long-term plan!

• Like 1

"25 percent of Sprint postpaid customer traffic has already been moved over to the T-Mobile network and more than 4 million customer network migrations have been completed"

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-caps-best-year-ever-in-2020-with-strong-q4-results

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

"25 percent of Sprint postpaid customer traffic has already been moved over to the T-Mobile network and more than 4 million customer network migrations have been completed"

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/t-mobile-caps-best-year-ever-in-2020-with-strong-q4-results

I assume the 25% includes TNX and tna?

The 4 million referring to TNX specifically?

14 minutes ago, davidtm said:

Trying to figure out what this will mean in C'ville. TMo has historically had terrible coverage here (I believe). Will TMo merely switch over existing Shentel towers?

We'll find out.  Given the prevalence of 312250 in my area, I have to imagine T-Mobile will ultimately keep most Shentel tower sites, except ones that are co-located or perhaps on immediately adjacent towers. 

- Trip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trip said:

We'll find out.  Given the prevalence of 312250 in my area, I have to imagine T-Mobile will ultimately keep most Shentel tower sites, except ones that are co-located or perhaps on immediately adjacent towers. 

- Trip

If they destroy my great Shentel service without providing equal or better TM service, they will lose my account.

I own my phones and they will transfer to the other big two very easily. TM service in my area is terrible while Shentel service is great.

• Like 1

Sprint's secondary B25 carrier trimmed from 10x10 to 5x5 today in Louisville. No change to T-Mobile's B2 here yet, but I expect it to go from 10x10 to 15x15 or maybe even 20x20. Combined they own contiguous 30x30 here plus G block now.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Trip said:

To me, ads don't matter.  Service does. 

- Trip

True. My service now is better than it’s ever been and if they can stick it to Verizon and AT&T in the process, so much the better.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Trip said:

To me, ads don't matter.  Service does.

Me too.. but ads get eyeballs, and eyeballs translate to customers. More customers = more capital = more investment into the network (hopefully). Plus, how can you not love that ad.. 😁 🐐

• Like 6

On 2/5/2021 at 8:19 PM, mdob07 said:

Sprint's secondary B25 carrier trimmed from 10x10 to 5x5 today in Louisville. No change to T-Mobile's B2 here yet, but I expect it to go from 10x10 to 15x15 or maybe even 20x20. Combined they own contiguous 30x30 here plus G block now.

Does anyone know if T-Mobile is able to remotely reconfigure EDGE and HSPA or does that require a site visit to each cell site? EDGE and HSPA will have to be moved here before T-Mobile can expand their B2 carrier. I wasn't sure if the older technology was able to be changed remotely like LTE and NR or not.

20 minutes ago, mdob07 said:

Does anyone know if T-Mobile is able to remotely reconfigure EDGE and HSPA or does that require a site visit to each cell site? EDGE and HSPA will have to be moved here before T-Mobile can expand their B2 carrier. I wasn't sure if the older technology was able to be changed remotely like LTE and NR or not.

Yes, those can be configured remotely. 

• Like 2

1st known permit of a Sprint only site conversion to T-Mobile observed in Columbus OH:

Antenna upgrade to an existing cell site for T-Mobile. Scope of work includes removal of (6) antennas, (3) RRHs, (3) T-Arms, and (1) Hybrid Cable. Installation of (6) antennas, (6) RRHs, (2) Pendants, (1) Platform, and (2) Trunk Cables. Ground work includes removal of (1) cabinet and installation of (2) cabinets and (2) junction boxes.

https://ca.columbus.gov/ca/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Building&TabName=Building&capID1=21CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=002ZR&agencyCode=COLUMBUS&IsToShowInspection=

The Columbus building department made the following comment, so their may be other changes: 1.) The Scope of Work provided on the cover page is inconsistent with what is shown on sheet C-401 for example a. The scope shows that (6) RRHs are being removed but sheet C-401 shows that there are only (3) RRHs being removed b. The scope shows that (9) RRHs are being installed but sheet C-401 shows that there are only (6) being installed 2.) The Scope of Work appears to be incomplete regarding what is existing in terms of ground work.

• Like 3

Someone on Reddit pointed out that as of the latest T-Mobile coverage map update, it looks like T-Mobile is now showing Sprint LTE in some areas as "LTE Roaming" coverage. A good way to see the change is Lart2150's coverage map. If you compare the 2/6/2021 update to the 1/25/2021 update you'll notice a lot more magenta specks on the RLTE layer.

https://coverage.lart2150.com/vector/#b=RLTE&m=2021-02-06&lat=38.85682013474361&lng=-93.603515625&z=4

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Someone on Reddit pointed out that as of the latest T-Mobile coverage map update, it looks like T-Mobile is now showing Sprint LTE in some areas as "LTE Roaming" coverage. A good way to see the change is Lart2150's coverage map. If you compare the 2/6/2021 update to the 1/25/2021 update you'll notice a lot more magenta specks on the RLTE layer.

https://coverage.lart2150.com/vector/#b=RLTE&m=2021-02-06&lat=38.85682013474361&lng=-93.603515625&z=4

Neville also confirmed (on twitter) that they're planning on adding an "Ultra Capacity" layer to their coverage maps in the near future. Very glad to see all this work being done.

That said, here's hoping this isn't shaping up to be a finalized look at which sites T-Mobile is planning to keep - just looking at rural NY, the impact on rural coverage is somewhat minimal. At least a few Sprint sites in poor coverage areas (Chazy, Millport, or Mosherville for example) that aren't showing up on the map.

• Like 6