SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

1 hour ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

As an aside, I decided to test out n2 to see if that is what AT&T n2-SA reports. The diagnostic screen also shows "mBands = [2]". That being said, whatever you did to fix the issue with the reporting of bands now causes AT&T to report n25-SA instead of n2-SA.

Ah, this is what I was afraid of. There are so many glitches with the NR API, I have too many workarounds working around each other. The n25/n41 workaround is only supposed to kick in when connected to T-Mobile, but I did have to add some extra logic because the PLMN is also not properly reported consistently. Could you please send me a diagnostic report when connected to AT&T n2 when you have a chance?

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Ah, this is what I was afraid of. There are so many glitches with the NR API, I have too many workarounds working around each other. The n25/n41 workaround is only supposed to kick in when connected to T-Mobile, but I did have to add some extra logic because the PLMN is also not properly reported consistently. Could you please send me a diagnostic report when connected to AT&T n2 when you have a chance?

Already did when I first saw it. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, Trip said:

I know it's Service Mode RIL, which appears to be something like:  com.sec.android.RilServiceModeApp

I have been doing some testing, and while manually entering *#2263# on my A32 works, trying to launch it from within SCP does not. Like most similar screens these days, a security exception is thrown and permission to launch the activity is denied. I tried to find another method, but it looks like others who have tried to do similar things have run into the same issue. It's probably locked down by Samsung and/or the OS. Sorry!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are items with the map support in the app that would be great.  Hopefully already on an idea list

1) The app often does not indicate it is complete on many phones so I step through the process again to see if it 0 or 1 to upload. May just want to redisplay this.

2) Would love to see a loopback from the map site to scp app site notes.

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Here's a better thread for this:

https://s4gru.com/forums/topic/8297-signalchecknet

Thanks, I reduced my comments above to 2 which applies to the app as it relates to the maps.

6 hours ago, dkyeager said:

1) The app often does not indicate it is complete on many phones so I step through the process again to see if it 0 or 1 to upload. May just want to redisplay this.

When you are uploading, a notification should appear with a progress bar while it's uploading, and then indicate it has completed as soon as its done, with a percentage showing how many of the data points were accepted. If you have a notification tone or vibration enabled, you'll get alerted when the process begins and when it ends. If you have the upload counter on the screen, it will refresh once another point is recorded or you can swipe out of and back into the app for an update. The counter isn't kept in real-time because it was such a drain on resources that it was causing crashes; it now updates passively. It should also update when you swipe down to refresh, but I know that is not working -- it's a bug I'm currently working on.

6 hours ago, dkyeager said:

2) Would love to see a loopback from the map site to scp app site notes.

That is already in the future plans, stay tuned..

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

When you are uploading, a notification should appear with a progress bar while it's uploading, and then indicate it has completed as soon as its done, with a percentage showing how many of the data points were accepted. If you have a notification tone or vibration enabled, you'll get alerted when the process begins and when it ends. If you have the upload counter on the screen, it will refresh once another point is recorded or you can swipe out of and back into the app for an update. The counter isn't kept in real-time because it was such a drain on resources that it was causing crashes; it now updates passively. It should also update when you swipe down to refresh, but I know that is not working -- it's a bug I've been looking into.

I will give you an update on my phones with these details and Android version. SCP settings should all be the same but will verify first.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:17 PM, mikejeep said:

Could you try again when you have a chance? I don't see any recent reports from you or any on AT&T n2 (or n25, ha).. thanks.

Seems like it was saved but didn't send. Sent it and a new one now.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

I will give you an update on my phones with these details and Android version. SCP settings should all be the same but will verify first.

I have 10 phones (9 of them solely for logging purposes) and all of them show me the notification when it starts and again when it finishes, and then leaves a notification in place until I dismiss it.

58 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

That is already in the future plans, stay tuned..

Oh dear.  That sounds ominous.

- Trip

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mikejeep said:

When you are uploading, a notification should appear with a progress bar while it's uploading, and then indicate it has completed as soon as its done, with a percentage showing how many of the data points were accepted. If you have a notification tone or vibration enabled, you'll get alerted when the process begins and when it ends. If you have the upload counter on the screen, it will refresh once another point is recorded or you can swipe out of and back into the app for an update. The counter isn't kept in real-time because it was such a drain on resources that it was causing crashes; it now updates passively. It should also update when you swipe down to refresh, but I know that is not working -- it's a bug I'm currently working on.

3 hours ago, Trip said:

I have 10 phones (9 of them solely for logging purposes) and all of them show me the notification when it starts and again when it finishes, and then leaves a notification in place until I dismiss it.

- Trip

Found a couple of differences in SCP configs so it works on all my more recent phones. (phones listed in profile)

Ones like the Revvl, V20, and G4 I think have too old of a notification system. The show pending web entries now works well for them.

On 12/27/2022 at 8:46 AM, mikejeep said:

A new SignalCheck beta is rolling out now.. bugfixes for Dish Wireless, pending web count display, and n2/n25 identification improvements.

Ooh what are these?

Dish provisions devices with virtual dual SIM (with DDS) that used AT&T LTE as primary and Dish 5G as secondary.

Since SCP doesn’t support dual SIM, I’ve been doing Dish drive testing on CellMapper and more recently my own barebones Android app; but I would like to switch over to SCP if possible…

By the way, sent you a DM about Dish NCIs and how we’re assigning them.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2022 at 5:59 PM, RAvirani said:

Ooh what are these?

Dish provisions devices with virtual dual SIM (with DDS) that used AT&T LTE as primary and Dish 5G as secondary.

Since SCP doesn’t support dual SIM, I’ve been doing Dish drive testing on CellMapper and more recently my own barebones Android app; but I would like to switch over to SCP if possible…

By the way, sent you a DM about Dish NCIs and how we’re assigning them.

Just working my way though all the bugs and diagnostic reports.. have come a long way with Dual SIM support this week too.. actually had it working briefly, but it still needs some work. Going to get back at it tonight.

A heads up to all beta testers -- dual SIM support will likely be in the next update, and it will be a massive change. I would advise against updating immediately if you critically need the app -- I'm sure there will be some adjustments needed. I will make that clear in the release notes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Sent in diags to help you identify Verizon n77 NSA as noted in the diag. (Other one was a test of the lightening bolt.)

• Thanks 1

On Saturday I completed a last minute drive from Olympia, Washington to Greeley, Colorado to get my daughter and son-in-law home after visiting for Christmas. They got hung up in that Southwest Airlines fiasco and couldn't make it home.  

I used my Google Pixel 7 Pro and laid down the T-Mobile 5G NR trail.  I also used my work phone (Kyocera DuraForce Ultra 5G) and laid down a Verizon LTE trail.  Both laid down a pretty steady trail the whole way there and back, especially the Pixel.

My daughter mapped the Tmo LTE on the way down for me.  She used her Samsung GS22.  It did not leave such a steady trail.  Pretty intermittent.  She then went from Greeley, Colorado to LaGrange, Wyoming after I dropped her off.  

We both had our phone screens on the whole time and left SCP running.  My phones weren't doing anything except running Android Auto and Spotify.  She was doing random things, like watching YouTube videos, reading news articles, texting, Spotify (because she doesn't always like what Dad was playing).

I don't recall ever have issues mapping when I do random things with my phone. But I don't tend to do that a lot.  Since I am busy driving most of the time. I just leave SCP alone to do its thing. However, was this an S22/SCP issue or more about her usage that created the pretty poor mapping experience?

Robert

• Like 1

I run SCP on an S22 frequently and have no mapping issues; that being said, I always leave the app open while driving. My guess is the multitasking caused the poor quality, but Mike might have a better answer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S4GRU said:

On Saturday I completed a last minute drive from Olympia, Washington to Greeley, Colorado to get my daughter and son-in-law home after visiting for Christmas. They got hung up in that Southwest Airlines fiasco and couldn't make it home.  

I used my Google Pixel 7 Pro and laid down the T-Mobile 5G NR trail.  I also used my work phone (Kyocera DuraForce Ultra 5G) and laid down a Verizon LTE trail.  Both laid down a pretty steady trail the whole way there and back, especially the Pixel.

My daughter mapped the Tmo LTE on the way down for me.  She used her Samsung GS22.  It did not leave such a steady trail.  Pretty intermittent.  She then went from Greeley, Colorado to LaGrange, Wyoming after I dropped her off.  

We both had our phone screens on the whole time and left SCP running.  My phones weren't doing anything except running Android Auto and Spotify.  She was doing random things, like watching YouTube videos, reading news articles, texting, Spotify (because she doesn't always like what Dad was playing).

I don't recall ever have issues mapping when I do random things with my phone. But I don't tend to do that a lot.  Since I am busy driving most of the time. I just leave SCP alone to do its thing. However, was this an S22/SCP issue or more about her usage that created the pretty poor mapping experience?

Robert

Did you/she turn off battery optimizations for SCP? Samsung has really aggressive battery optimizations for background processes. If you don't turn it off, then the app won't log points like normal. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I run SCP on an S22 frequently and have no mapping issues; that being said, I always leave the app open while driving. My guess is the multitasking caused the poor quality, but Mike might have a better answer. 

2 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Did you/she turn off battery optimizations for SCP? Samsung has really aggressive battery optimizations for background processes. If you don't turn it off, then the app won't log points like normal. 

I just checked both my S22s and it looks like when the Android 13 update installed it reset my battery usage settings for apps I had set to unrestricted. I didn't think to check that until you all mentioned it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

ON a s22, go to settings, apps , find signal check app, tap on battery, get 3 options. Choose unrestricted. This allows an app run in the background without any power restrictions.  You might want to do it with other apps too, like GPS.

I did  have an issue with this setting working fine for a couple of weeks, but then reverting to optimized.  However, I was having an issue with SCP and was doing some changes to it to fix the issue. It is possible that a removal of the app and a re-install reset the option to optimized.

Before I found this setting, I was occasionally getting a pop-up message telling me SCP had stopped. I no longer get this "SCP Stopped" pop-up once I went to unrestricted power for SCP.

• Like 7

Ahh, yes.  Never considered battery optimizations. I don't use them.  Knowing my daughter, she has tweaked them significantly.  Thanks everyone. 

Robert 

• Like 1

The impact of battery optimization settings varies significantly by device. My personal experience with Pixel devices is that SCP generally does everything you want it to even with battery optimization enabled; I have many reports of it performing notably better on other devices with it disabled.

However, the other possibility might be that she didn't have at least moderate GPS accuracy during the trip. The app may have been humming along and recording all the data points in the trail log, but they are not uploaded to the map unless the accuracy of the point was 75 meters or better. If you have a navigation app running or set the SCP Location Service priority to high accuracy (which will use more battery), you won't have a problem. I probably have usable accuracy outdoors on the balanced setting approximately 85% of the time, but that can vary widely based on device/terrain/signal/wifi/movement/etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mikejeep said:

However, the other possibility might be that she didn't have at least moderate GPS accuracy during the trip. The app may have been humming along and recording all the data points in the trail log, but they are not uploaded to the map unless the accuracy of the point was 75 meters or better. If you have a navigation app running or set the SCP Location Service priority to high accuracy (which will use more battery), you won't have a problem. I probably have usable accuracy outdoors on the balanced setting approximately 85% of the time, but that can vary widely based on device/terrain/signal/wifi/movement/etc.

The location update interval may also play into this. I think it defaults to four seconds but I’ve changed it to one second on all my devices.

@mikejeep would it make sense to change the default location accuracy to high and the default update interval to one second? That might eliminate out-of-the-box issues for a lot of users…

• Like 3