SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

24 minutes ago, Trip said:

Er, sorry.  I know this is my fault.  😅

Haha yes it was.. but that's ok! I should've handled that scenario, it just never crossed my mind that a "Back to the Future" situation might come up.. 😁

Separately, I wanted to flag that the new log-in feature for uploading could probably use a bit of tweaking when it doesn't work properly.

Nice catches. I try testing all the possible scenarios and handle them gracefully, but it's tricky to plan for everything (see above). Did you happen to send a diagnostic when you got the funky error message? If you can make it happen again, that would help me identify exactly what I need to catch.

It also seems to hang the app while trying to figure that out, though I'm not sure there's much you can do there.

Yes, this is something I know needs to be improved. I have it display the toast message that it's connecting to the server to let users know something is happening, because that was the quickest implementation I could get working. My goal is to display the login dialog box first, then some sort of animation placeholder while the network connection is working.

47 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Haha yes it was.. but that's ok! I should've handled that scenario, it just never crossed my mind that a "Back to the Future" situation might come up.. 😁

Nice catches. I try testing all the possible scenarios and handle them gracefully, but it's tricky to plan for everything (see above). Did you happen to send a diagnostic when you got the funky error message? If you can make it happen again, that would help me identify exactly what I need to catch.

Yes, this is something I know needs to be improved. I have it display the toast message that it's connecting to the server to let users know something is happening, because that was the quickest implementation I could get working. My goal is to display the login dialog box first, then some sort of animation placeholder while the network connection is working.

The annoying thing is that I'd been sending him databases with that column removed, and forgot to do it last time I sent it because I was in a rush.  Naturally, that's the time it caused a problem!

I just tried to send you diagnostics but I'm not sure if it shows anything.  It's kind of sporadic on the WiFi here because the modem is sitting at values around -17 dB RSRQ so it comes and goes.  But just by turning off the WiFi while I have no service here I was able to get it to fail immediately to the log-in screen with the same toast message.  Here's a screenshot:  https://imgur.com/a/5MZffuP

Understood.  The "Validating" message does help, but an app locking always creates the perception of a problem even when none exists.

- Trip

• Like 1

Noticed with the production release on the s22+ factory unlocked latest firmware that the signal level is displayed as --  when set as band with signal level. Signal level itself works fine. The screen is set at defaults. Maybe I am missing something since this just seems to be a display issue. Any way for me to give it more space so it would display correctly?  Seems to work fine on my other devices that I have checked.  Thanks.

P.S.: What is the best way for me to make comments on the mapping website?

6 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Noticed with the production release on the s22+ factory unlocked latest firmware that the signal level is displayed as --  when set as band with signal level.

It's a known Android 13 bug.. not the app, and can't do much about it other than select a different icon type: https://github.com/bluelinepc/signalcheck/issues/18

Please give it a +1 on the Android Issue Tracker to help get it some attention: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/244063666

27 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

It's a known Android 13 bug.. not the app, and can't do much about it other than select a different icon type: https://github.com/bluelinepc/signalcheck/issues/18

Please give it a +1 on the Android Issue Tracker to help get it some attention: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/244063666

I had already plused it. Only 47 have. How many are needed before Google really notices it?

I had an issue last night when I got home, I tried to upload web data but once the dialog saying "Validating Account" popped up the app froze up. On one phone I had to go into settings and force stop SCP, on my other phone I got the system dialog box for it not responding and restarted from there. Both phones were on my WiFi when it happened so it shouldn't have been a connection issue. Once I restarted SCP on both phones I was able to upload just fine. I sent a diag report from one of my phones.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

A beta update is rolling out now, includes bugfixes that I hope to release publicly this week.

N41 display fixes - what additional devices should we be checking?

28 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

N41 display fixes - what additional devices should we be checking?

Any that were reporting bogus info before.. 😁

Somehow some OnePlus devices are natively reporting n25 instead of n41. Totally different spectrum blocks, so I can't even figure out how the OS would get confused with that.. but it is happening..

I could be the guilty party. I had a oneplus nord n200 5g showing as DE2117 with oem firmware to signalcheck.net on Oxygen 12 rooted as having n25.  NSG agreed, reporting n25 as 15x15 with no way for me to lock band without paying $$$$ or getting a special blessing to do 5g band locking.  Now in the process of converting this to Oxygen 11 which in theory will allow me to lock bands with an engineering function thus could further validate with a speed test.  Should have checked with cellmapper as well.

Have a DE2118 (oneplus nord n200 5g) with T-Mobile firmware also reporting n25 on oxygen 11, which was upgraded to oxygen 12 and then VoNR was turned on (no luck in my market) still reporting n25 with data sent to signalcheck.net. Will crosscheck with cellmapper and then will apply latest SCP update. Not rooted yet as waiting for bootloader unlock code.

4 hours ago, dkyeager said:

I could be the guilty party. I had a oneplus nord n200 5g showing as DE2117 with oem firmware to signalcheck.net on Oxygen 12 rooted as having n25.

Oh I have diagnostics from others with a OnePlus that is reporting n25 but at 2600 MHz. Because of the Android band reporting bug and all of the other evidence in the wild, I trust the ARFCN more than the reported band so I implemented a workaround.

• Like 2

Disappointing news, the Android developer team just closed out the bug for incorrect NR bands as "won't fix" and blamed chipset manufacturers. This will make it much more challenging to get resolved. Please continue to let me know if you see incorrect band info and I'll implement as many workarounds as needed.. it's a hack I don't like, but there isn't really any other option.

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Disappointing news, the Android developer team just closed out the bug for incorrect NR bands as "won't fix" and blamed chipset manufacturers. This will make it much more challenging to get resolved. Please continue to let me know if you see incorrect band info and I'll implement as many workarounds as needed.. it's a hack I don't like, but there isn't really any other option.

Does qualcomm, mediatech, etc maintain developer bug lists?

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Does qualcomm, mediatech, etc maintain developer bug lists?

Not in the same way the Android Issue Tracker does.. my presumption is that these vendors would rather hear issues from the manufacturers that use their products, not end users. If I have an issue with my Cheerios, I don't complain to the wheat farmer, I go to the grocery store.. we'll see what happens. Another developer (Cellmapper dev I believe) has already chimed in with a counter-argument, hopefully it's productive.

Another beta update is rolling out now, in conjunction with a public update. One new feature is live -- a customizable shortcut button on the action bar along the top of the screen. The icon is a lightning bolt. It is configurable via Preferences > Colors and Styles > Custom Action Bar Icon; there is an option to hide it if you do not want it. I am open to suggestions for additional options to choose from, but one-click data uploads will not be added as an option right now. I don't want anyone tempted to hit the button every 2 minutes quite yet.. ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Not in the same way the Android Issue Tracker does.. my presumption is that these vendors would rather hear issues from the manufacturers that use their products, not end users. If I have an issue with my Cheerios, I don't complain to the wheat farmer, I go to the grocery store.. we'll see what happens. Another developer (Cellmapper dev I believe) has already chimed in with a counter-argument, hopefully it's productive.

None of us are Google customers either. We are the product (our data). Advertisers are Google's customers.

I love the idea of the action button, though most of the actions don't work on my S21FE or aren't particularly helpful.  I'm wondering if it would be possible for it to open the *#2263# or *#73# menu. 

- Trip

Edited by Trip
Corrected the dialer codes...
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Trip said:

I love the idea of the action button, though most of the actions don't work on my S21FE or aren't particularly helpful.  I'm wondering if it would be possible for it to open the *#2263# or *#73# menu. 

- Trip

This right here would be super useful if possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trip said:

Android no longer allows apps to fire off dialer codes, but if I can figure out the app package names and associated intents, I can work with that. This is a long shot, but if you happen to know them, feel free to share or send me a PM. I'll check my Galaxy A32 and see if it has those menus also.

3 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I wonder how it is getting this info because it clearly says the mNetworkType=NR and mBand=25

That is an OS screen.. what was SCP reporting at the time? n25 is live in many areas but the NR band reporting is not always reliable.

1 minute ago, mikejeep said:

That is an OS screen.. what was SCP reporting at the time? n25 is live in many areas but the NR band reporting is not always reliable.

SignalCheck was reporting n25-SA properly. The diagnostics screen shows "mBands = [2]"

As an aside, I decided to test out n2 to see if that is what AT&T n2-SA reports. The diagnostic screen also shows "mBands = [2]". That being said, whatever you did to fix the issue with the reporting of bands now causes AT&T to report n25-SA instead of n2-SA. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

Android no longer allows apps to fire off dialer codes, but if I can figure out the app package names and associated intents, I can work with that. This is a long shot, but if you happen to know them, feel free to share or send me a PM. I'll check my Galaxy A32 and see if it has those menus also.

I know it's Service Mode RIL, which appears to be something like:  com.sec.android.RilServiceModeApp

No idea beyond that.

(*#73# I had to enable manually with the steps found in the link in the S22 thread.  *#2263# works by default on T-Mobile, and is just a submenu of *#73# so I generally just use *#73#)

- Trip

• Thanks 1