SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

Beta crew.. assemble!

A new update is finally published.. if you're special

-Mike

Just installed it! It doesn't look like you added native earfcn retrieval on Android 6.0+?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tmobile B4 also not identifying anymore.

eaY7yNV.png?1

Maybe a suggestion is to implement the new EARFCN just to identify LTE Bands currently connected to while you work out methodologies to identify individual carriers and such? 

Maybe in the future we can see neighboring cells with EARFCNs too... 

• Like 4

eaY7yNV.png?1

Maybe a suggestion is to implement the new EARFCN just to identify LTE Bands currently connected to while you work out methodologies to identify individual carriers and such? 

For me, I'm connected to sector 1 which shows "LTE AWS" but then the provider is "T-Mobile B4?" which is amusing, because a large area near me has PCS on sector 1.  I agree that at least for T-Mobile and US Cellular, the primary means of band ID should be EARFCN, to the extent that can be implemented in the code.  I don't think there's a reliable way of determining the band otherwise, since there seems to be no fixed pattern for T-Mobile in this area.  US Cellular is also unreliable in that way, and I ever see on it right now is "LTE". 

You sent me quite a bit! I've filled in a lot of blanks today from numerous sources, S4GRU and otherwise. AT&T is fully handled as of now. Got some solid T-Mobile info through an old friend that will help clean things up significantly. caspar347 hooked me up with fantastic Verizon info, but I'm still trying to figure out more. I have conflicting information on their Band 5 sectors, and I'm lacking information on DAS or other non-macro sites if you or anyone else have anything to share..?

-Mike

I'm not sure Verizon has any separate ID information for DAS and small cells.  I mean, the small cells in this area are offset by 300000, but in Savannah, for example, there was no offset and they were intermixed with the regular sites.  I also know that on some macro sites, the 300000 offset applies to AWS for some reason.

What are you missing for Band 5?  I saw Band 5 on Verizon when I was in Savannah and Charleston.

- Trip

• Like 1

On my way to work now, brought my AT&T and T-Mobile phones with me.

I see you've got "T-Mobile B2?" and the assumption seems to be three sector sites. I'll check against a 4 sector one next chance I get.

On AT&T I see B30 now works correctly. I see the updated iDAS label also.

One minor bug, the band ID used to appear on the pull down and it's no longer there. See here.

https://m.imgur.com/wuQIWn5

- Trip

• Like 1

Also, the issue where I have different sectors with different labels and it's pulling the wrong label is still there. I do this for DAS in the Metro since they use different sectors in different stations.

- Trip

• Like 1

:) Good beta update.

• Mini Macros displays correctly (I would add the two characters to Mini Macs for clarity or shorten to MM as we do).
  • B25 2nd Carrier 10x10 is displays as LTE 1900, with Sprint B25 10x10 as description, so it has the band now (PCIs 06, 07, 08). Known to exist in Columbus Cincinnati, Toledo markets. Seen but not analyzed in central Illinois. Would be nice to display as 2nd Carrier as well.
  • Magic Box is fine.
  • Air Harmony Small Cell shows as LTE 2500 with description of Sprint B41 SC, which is fine.
  • B25 10x10 sites shows as LTE 1900 with provider as Sprint B25 (needs EARFCN identification to go futher).
  • Does not show as update on Photon 4G (which is correct as Android version is too old).
  • Rest are fine for Sprint / Freedompop on LG V20 and LG G2. Will test Sprint LG G4 & G5 later along with duration and log tests (I always have it running).
:) With this update people will be surprised as to how many Mini Macros Sprint installed throughout the country (based on SCP log analysis).

Edited 11:41am day of post.

• Like 7

Just installed it! It doesn't look like you added native earfcn retrieval on Android 6.0+?

No, I don't have any of the new API functions working yet, still working on them. Integrating that is a priority and I have every intention to have that (or the root EARFCN method) determine the LTE band once it's working, but I wanted to get an update pushed out while the code was at a point of stability.

See below about T-Mobile. See above about the new API functions like EARFCN goodies.

For me, I'm connected to sector 1 which shows "LTE AWS" but then the provider is "T-Mobile B4?" which is amusing, because a large area near me has PCS on sector 1.  I agree that at least for T-Mobile and US Cellular, the primary means of band ID should be EARFCN, to the extent that can be implemented in the code.  I don't think there's a reliable way of determining the band otherwise, since there seems to be no fixed pattern for T-Mobile in this area.  US Cellular is also unreliable in that way, and I ever see on it right now is "LTE". 

What are you missing for Band 5?  I saw Band 5 on Verizon when I was in Savannah and Charleston.

One minor bug, the band ID used to appear on the pull down and it's no longer there. See here.

Also, the issue where I have different sectors with different labels and it's pulling the wrong label is still there. I do this for DAS in the Metro since they use different sectors in different stations.

I finally got some solid information from a reputable source regarding T-Mobile's network configuration. They are using two vendors for LTE deployment. One vendor has their sites configured in a manner that I can definitively identify the bands, while the other vendor does it differently and (even worse) inconsistently. That vendor "usually" does things a certain way in some markets, but not always. For other markets, it's up in the air right now. Thankfully I am able to identify which vendor handled each site, so the appropriate routines are implemented. Some of it matched what I already had in previous versions of the app, but a lot of it was wrong for most of the country. I am still gathering information, but in beta testing, I have it set to display a question mark if it's one of those "usually" sites, and no band information if it's completely up in the air. If there is no question mark, the band indicator should be accurate. The "B4" part is what's triggering the LTE AWS display; perhaps that needs a question mark too. See above regarding native EARFCN routines.

For Verizon band 5, I have your Savannah sectors noted, but I've seen evidence of other sector patterns online. I've recruited a few Verizon testers this week so hopefully I can get that improved.

Someone else pointed out the notification pulldown bug this morning, I know what I broke there and it is an easy fix. My bad!

Can you share (PM or email is fine if that's easier) more information on what you mean about and issue with different labels different sectors?

-Mike

• Like 2

Mini Macros displays correctly (I would add the two characters to Mini Macs for clarity or shorten to MM as we do).

B25 2nd Carrier 10x10 is displays as LTE 1900, with Sprint B25 10x10 as description, so it has the band now (PCIs 06, 07, 08). Known to exist in Columbus Cincinnati, Toledo markets. Seen but not analyzed in central Illinois. Would be nice to display as 2nd Carrier as well.

I am willing to display the Mini Macro sites however everyone feels is most appropriate, those are good suggestions. I always have concerns about screen clutter, but I also don't want to need people to download a reference guide to identify every two-character acronym I come up with. It's technically 3 more characters (need a space if I'm spelling it out!) but I think that might be the best approach.

Is there a second carrier pattern that isn't displaying properly, or are you saying it would be nice if we knew what it was?

-Mike

• Like 2

Can you share (PM or email is fine if that's easier) more information on what you mean about and issue with different labels different sectors?

-Mike

Mike,

To your API discussion, I certainly understand.  I just think that the T-Mobile (and US Cellular) labels will never be fully correct, in this area anyway, until the EARFCN data is analyzed.  I'll clarify further in a PM.

The issue I have is that, for example, 303DF01/303DF19 are in Pentagon Metro, but 303DF02/303DF1A are in Pentagon City/Crystal City Metros.  I have those labeled differently in my database despite the 303DFxx being the same in both cases.  However, it's pulling the "Pentagon Metro" note in all cases, even when connected to the 02/1A sectors. 

I know that's not a normal case, since the software itself will not let you do it without exporting the database and doing it manually, but it seems odd that it wouldn't prefer the label from the row itself and instead chooses a different row to display the note from.

- Trip

Edited by Trip
Somehow typoed the sectors in the last sentence of the second paragraph. Fixed now.
  • Like 3

I am willing to display the Mini Macro sites however everyone feels is most appropriate, those are good suggestions. I always have concerns about screen clutter, but I also don't want to need people to download a reference guide to identify every two-character acronym I come up with. It's technically 3 more characters (need a space if I'm spelling it out!) but I think that might be the best approach.

Is there a second carrier pattern that isn't displaying properly, or are you saying it would be nice if we knew what it was?

-Mike

In Samsung markets Band 25 GCI sectors 03, 04, 05 are second carrier ( 5x5 ). 06, 07, 08 are second carrier 10x10 ( for clarity, where this occurs, there is also band 25 5x5, ie a site has 5x5 + 10x10 )

Mini Macros deserve a glossary explanation: MM - Maded by Nokia, Mini Macros are used in at Network Vision and Clear sites with traditional Band 41 antennas for each sector. They are also used individually as small cells in the most populous areas (NYC, San Francisco). They have second carrier and carrier aggregation.

SC - The Airspan Air Harmonys have only been seen at small cells so far. They are second carrier capable, but this has not been observed.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Where can I join the beta?

+1 been a long time pro user and long time S4GRU premier sponsor also

By invite only, or if you make Honored Premier Sponsor. I have plenty of Sprint testers on the beta crew right now, but be patient.. public updates aren't usually too far behind betas.

-Mike

• Like 6

Mike, anyway you could take off the "MiniMac?" Or just make it optional, not digging the screen clutter.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20170607-183946.png

I have a different opinion. I think we want to know if it is a Mini Macro site or an full 8T8R.      Maybe a better way to show it, but I like to see it. If you are trying to find a new site, knowing it is a mini makes the hunt a whole different process.

• Like 5

I have a different opinion. I think we want to know if it is a Mini Macro site or an full 8T8R.      Maybe a better way to show it, but I like to see it. If you are trying to find a new site, knowing it is a mini makes the hunt a whole different process.

Agree with this. I'd like to know I'm connecting to a mini-macro. However, don't have a strong opinion on how it is displayed. Mini-mac or MM works for me!

• Like 6

I agree, I'd like to know as well! An enable or disable toggle would make everyone happy. As for where to put the indicator of the "setup", would it be a bad idea to put it before or after the frequency name? For example it would say "Mini Macro LTE 2500", "Small Cell LTE 2500", "AirAve LTE 2500." There is an empty space next to the signal bar. 

For those that want it abbreviated, that itself could also be a toggle. So now it would be "MM LTE 2500" , "SC LTE 2500" , "AA LTE 2500"

Ideas...

Edited by notsrealinc

Mike, anyway you could take off the "MiniMac?" Or just make it optional, not digging the screen clutter.

Thank you for sharing that! Based on the feedback I've received, I'm going to change it to "MM". Spelling it out, even shortened, is ugly.

I agree, I'd like to know as well! An enable or disable toggle would make everyone happy. As for where to put the indicator of the "setup", would it be a bad idea to put it before or after the frequency name? For example it would say "Mini Macro LTE 2500", "Small Cell LTE 2500", "AirAve LTE 2500." There is an empty space next to the signal bar. 

I'd like to limit the toggles, because (selfishly) that creates more headaches than you can imagine on my end. And screen real estate is tighter than you might think; I need to design with the HTC EVO in mind, not a Galaxy Note. The signal bar is quite tight against the text when displaying "LTE 2500" on some devices.

At some point I intend to finish my tabbed UI I started 2 years ago, and also have a few different "themes".. so your display could show every metric possible (hardcore users), just the basics in large print (perhaps while driving), or somewhere in between (as it is now). But I have enough on my plate at the moment. Maybe tomorrow.. ;)

-Mike

• Like 1

Airave 3.0 is identified correctly on LTE side.

• Like 2

In Samsung markets Band 25 GCI sectors 03, 04, 05 are second carrier ( 5x5 ). 06, 07, 08 are second carrier 10x10 ( for clarity, where this occurs, there is also band 25 5x5, ie a site has 5x5 + 10x10 )

Ahh ok, I did not realize the 10x10 was a second carrier. I'll change that. Are the non-Samsung 10x10 sectors second carriers as well? I sometimes get lost when we get too deep into these discussions..

-Mike