SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

4 hours ago, RAvirani said:

The location update interval may also play into this. I think it defaults to four seconds but I’ve changed it to one second on all my devices.

@mikejeep would it make sense to change the default location accuracy to high and the default update interval to one second? That might eliminate out-of-the-box issues for a lot of users…

I do not want to change the default location accuracy because that has a negative impact on battery, which is one of the most frequent complaints I already get with it defaulting to balanced. The option is there so a user can explicitly change if it they would like, and thus accept that they may see increased battery usage. Using high accuracy is not really necessary for most users.

The location update interval doesn't guarantee an update every X number of seconds, it just sets the minimum threshold at which SCP will request an update. The actual frequency of location updates is based on various factors controlled by the OS, including if the device is in motion or not. The device must move at least 10 meters before it will ask for an updated location as well. If the user has another app running that uses location features that have higher settings enabled (for example, a navigation app), SCP (and any other app requesting location information) receives those same updates, which may be more frequent than the interval set in SCP.

The current default is 4 seconds, but I'm willing to change it to 3, that seems like it is still a reasonable balance of power/accuracy that should not have a huge impact. I've always changed my own devices to 3. This default will only impact new installs and installs where the user never adjusted their settings.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

The current default is 4 seconds, but I'm willing to change it to 3, that seems like it is still a reasonable balance of power/accuracy that should not have a huge impact. I've always changed my own devices to 3. This default will only impact new installs and installs where the user never adjusted their settings.

I think that would be a good change.

A standard highway speed of 65 miles per hour is 95.3 feet per second.  At three seconds between updates, that's one data point every 286 feet (or more).  Another way to think about this is your device will only record 18 points (at best) for every mile you drive on the highway.  This still seems pretty sparse to me, but it's a step in the right direction.

At one second between updates, you'd record a data point every 95.3 feet.  This is equivalent to 55 data points for every mile you drive on the highway.  Much better in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

A standard highway speed of 65 miles per hour is 95.3 feet per second.  At three seconds between updates, that's one data point every 286 feet (or more).  Another way to think about this is your device will only record 18 points (at best) for every mile you drive on the highway.  This still seems pretty sparse to me, but it's a step in the right direction.

At one second between updates, you'd record a data point every 95.3 feet.  This is equivalent to 55 data points for every mile you drive on the highway.  Much better in my opinion.

That's exactly why everyone has the option to change it to their liking :)

It's probably worth repeating.. all [modern] apps utilize the same core location methods, so any data that is obtained is made available to any other app looking for it. So if you're running a navigation app whenever you drive (or even if you're just plugged into Android Auto but have a navigation app available to it), you're going to get updates about as fast as possible, regardless of your SCP settings. Essentially, only the "most aggressive" app running is actually controlling the refresh rate.

40 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

That's exactly why everyone has the option to change it to their liking :)

It's probably worth repeating.. all [modern] apps utilize the same core location methods, so any data that is obtained is made available to any other app looking for it. So if you're running a navigation app whenever you drive (or even if you're just plugged into Android Auto but have a navigation app available to it), you're going to get updates about as fast as possible, regardless of your SCP settings. Essentially, only the "most aggressive" app running is actually controlling the refresh rate.

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

I think that would be a good change.

A standard highway speed of 65 miles per hour...At one second between updates, you'd record a data point every 95.3 feet

Mike point is interesting about frequency increasing with nav apps. I ran through the same basic calculations as RAvirani this morning. Historical the seconds setting was because the processors could not handle 1 second. But even my LG G4 can do this now.

However, I do think we need to look longer term. If you have location feedback to SCP from the mapping process, then the app should become much more popular, hence generating more points, even with 4 second settings. This is provided we keep battery use at more minimum levels. Might actually want the default to go higher so as not to trip the os notifications.  Some data multipled by more users is far better than no data.

Edited by dkyeager
Alternatively, offer a performance versus a preserve battery setting.

Me gots a question.  Phone galaxy fold 3 upgraded to Android 13.  Now I'm not getting any decibal numbers on top left corner on signal check.  Is there a setting I need to change or it's a app issue?  Screen shot is attached.  Screenshot_20230103_160146_Chrome.jpg

33 minutes ago, runagun said:

Me gots a question.  Phone galaxy fold 3 upgraded to Android 13.  Now I'm not getting any decibal numbers on top left corner on signal check.  Is there a setting I need to change or it's a app issue?  Screen shot is attached.

Neither.. it's unfortunately an Android 13 bug that still has not been addressed. Please go here and "+1" the issue to help attract attention to it: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/244063666

In the interim, you can select a different icon type in the app.. band, network type, or signal strength all still work properly. Icons that have more than one dynamic element are the only ones impacted by the bug.

Edited by mikejeep
Added interim suggestion
  • Like 1

A new SCP beta is rolling out now and should be available shortly. As mentioned earlier, this is the first release of a significant amount of new code under the hood -- do not update immediately if you have a critical need for the app in case there are issues that I did not uncover in my testing. The core routines that process signal information have been changed significantly in order to provide dual SIM support.

Not surprisingly, the most notable change in this version is the long-awaited inclusion of dual SIM support. Android 10+ is required for this feature, and support is disabled by default (for now) to minimize negative impact of any potential issues. Go to Preferences > Beta Crew Settings > Enable Dual SIM Support to give it a try. Please share any feedback; after a lot of testing, I finally got it to be consistently reliable on my Pixel 7, but it may take a few attempts to get there on all devices. I know dual SIM support has been overdue for awhile and was a priority for many users. It was a lot of work to overhaul things, but I appreciate everyone's patience.

Another less-exciting new addition is menu options to delete cached and rejected web upload clusters under Logs > Clear Data. Moving forward I will try to implement some sort of "cleanup" routine, as I discovered my devices had a lot of these files, most of which are not needed long-term. For now, you can manually clean them out.

EDIT: 3G connections are not supported in dual SIM mode at this time. Support may be added in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikejeep said:

do not update immediately if you have a critical need for the app in case there are issues that I did not uncover in my testing. The core routines that process signal information have been changed significantly in order to provide dual SIM support.

Not surprisingly, the most notable change in this version is the long-awaited inclusion of dual SIM support. Android 10+ is required...

Thanks for these exciting fearures.  Is Android 10 required for all devices or just to to support dual SIM when enabled?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Thanks for these exciting fearures.  Is Android 10 required for all devices or just to to support dual SIM when enabled?

Android 10+ is only required for dual SIM support. The minimum to install the app is still Android 5.0.

• Like 1

Just downloaded the new update and it looks like Dish is working!

C2XbjNa.jpg

I notice the ECI calculation is wrong—I sent you a PM about how we’re assigning these because of the virtualized setup. 

The only other thing I’ve noticed so far is that there are bugs in the second carrier identification. If both SIMs are connected to the same sector, the second SIM displays that it’s connected to the second carrier like so:

DDuGpph.jpg

0fRejGJ.jpg

If an NSA component is present on the second SIM, it also mistakenly shows as a second carrier like so:

5EO3iTp.jpg

Also, I noticed you made the Dish indicator red. Would it be possible to change it to a different color to more easily distinguish between it and VZW? Since Dish is selling service under the Project Genesis brand, maybe green?

https://launch.5gmobilegenesis.com

Thanks for all your hard work on this update!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Green is used for US Cellular because its blue color is a very similar blue to AT&T.  What about an orange color like Boost Mobile uses?

- Trip

Alternate idea—maybe gradients could be added? USCC is really red/blue and Dish is really green/purple. That could be a good-looking and functional solution…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RAvirani said:

If both SIMs are connected to the same sector, the second SIM displays that it’s connected to the second carrier like so:

Doesn't the [2] indicate the 2nd SIM? In the past ^2 on the Provider/Band line was used to indicate second carrier. Unless that's not what you're talking about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Alternate idea—maybe gradients could be added? USCC is really red/blue and Dish is really green/purple. That could be a good-looking and functional solution…

Is Dish really green/purple?  I know Genesis is, but aren't they going to be selling their service to the general public under the Boost Unlimited brand, which appears to share the orange theme of Boost Mobile?

- Trip

11 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Just downloaded the new update and it looks like Dish is working! I notice the ECI calculation is wrong—I sent you a PM about how we’re assigning these because of the virtualized setup.

I have the Dish info you sent me, but I haven't implemented any of it yet -- what you are seeing is the app's standard interpretation of cell information. It's on the to-do list!

The only other thing I’ve noticed so far is that there are bugs in the second carrier identification. If both SIMs are connected to the same sector, the second SIM displays that it’s connected to the second carrier like so:

If an NSA component is present on the second SIM, it also mistakenly shows as a second carrier like so:

Not sure what you mean here..? By 'carrier' do you mean the second provider? The [2] indicates information coming from the secondary SIM. Without that indicator means the information is coming from the primary SIM.

Also, I noticed you made the Dish indicator red. Would it be possible to change it to a different color to more easily distinguish between it and VZW? Since Dish is selling service under the Project Genesis brand, maybe green?

10 hours ago, Trip said:

Green is used for US Cellular because its blue color is a very similar blue to AT&T.  What about an orange color like Boost Mobile uses?

9 hours ago, RAvirani said:

I went with that shade of red to match the Dish Wireless logo -- but I can change it easily. If we want to differentiate between the major providers, should we go with orange for the Boost connection? I could explore implementing gradients too.. then we could get real crazy.. not sure how tricky that will be, but I'll give it a shot.

21 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

I have the Dish info you sent me, but I haven't implemented any of it yet -- what you are seeing is the app's standard interpretation of cell information. It's on the to-do list!

Sounds good! Can’t wait for this one!!!

22 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Not sure what you mean here..? By 'carrier' do you mean the second provider? The [2] indicates information coming from the secondary SIM. Without that indicator means the information is coming from the primary SIM.

Ohhh. I misunderstood the display. What’s the denotation for second carrier?

25 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

I went with that shade of red to match the Dish Wireless logo -- but I can change it easily. If we want to differentiate between the major providers, should we go with orange for the Boost connection? I could explore implementing gradients too.. then we could get real crazy.. not sure how tricky that will be, but I'll give it a shot.

We could do orange for the time being, but I think gradients would be really cool for non-big-three carriers. I’d use red/blue for USCC and green/purple for Dish. 

It would also be useful internationally. For example, TELUS in Canada is also green and purple. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trip said:

Is Dish really green/purple?  I know Genesis is, but aren't they going to be selling their service to the general public under the Boost Unlimited brand, which appears to share the orange theme of Boost Mobile?

- Trip

When I think of Dish, I think of Genesis. I don’t think Boost is the brand that will grow because of its existing cheap/non-premium reputation. 

28 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Ohhh. I misunderstood the display. What’s the denotation for second carrier?

As dkoellerwx eloquently mentioned, a second carrier would show as DISH Wireless B30². While we are on the subject -- should DISH be capitalized, or no?

28 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

We could do orange for the time being, but I think gradients would be really cool for non-big-three carriers. I’d use red/blue for USCC and green/purple for Dish. 

It would also be useful internationally. For example, TELUS in Canada is also green and purple. 

Sounds like fun, I'm on it!

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

As dkoellerwx eloquently mentioned, a second carrier would show as DISH Wireless B30². 

Totally missed his message - thanks @Dkoellerwx.

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

While we are on the subject -- should DISH be capitalized, or no?

I've seen it spelled both ways.  I think officially it's DISH, but I don't have a strong opinion either way.

• Like 1

Another SCP beta is rolling out now! This includes multi-colored accent lines for some providers that utilize multiple primary colors in their branding (US Cellular, FirstNet, Freedom, Dish, Telos) as well as a fix for web data points that were unnecessarily failing validation when dual SIM mode was enabled. Wanted to get this rolled out quickly to minimize the impact on mapping efforts by the dual SIM crowd.

Also clarified within the app that dual SIM mode does not support 3G connections at this time. I am uncertain if it will be supported in the future. Disabling the dual SIM option will show 3G information as before. Some users may see 3G information with dual SIM mode enabled depending on the device's configuration and connection status.

Please keep the feedback coming!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikejeep said:

A fix for web data points that were unnecessarily failing validation when dual SIM mode was enabled. Wanted to get this rolled out quickly to minimize the impact on mapping efforts by the dual SIM crowd.

I’ll get this one sorted out on my side today. 

EDIT: There’s a problem with the app implementation—sent you a PM. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Thank you Mike! One more feature request—could you distinguish between LTE AWS and LTE AWS-3? AWS-3 is for B66 center frequencies above 2155/1755 MHz (EARFCN 66886).

Missed this earlier.. I added it to the request list. I initially kept it all "AWS" because squeezing in "AWS-3" on the status bar icon was difficult to read. Would it be sufficient to change everything but the icon, or were you hoping for the icon also?

Another SCP beta release is rolling out right now. This version includes:

• Another attempt to fix web data points that are failing validation when dual SIM mode is enabled. This issue is caused when data points on both SIMs are simultaneously recorded at the same location, which is causing the mapping server to interpret them as stale.

• Adjusted cell ID formatting for DISH Wireless 5G-NR connections.

• A new option requested by @Trip to automatically reset the mobile connection when signal is lost. This utilizes the existing reset feature so root access is required for it to work. The "No Signal" alert must also be enabled for the reset to be triggered.

Thanks as always for the support!

• Like 3