SignalCheck Beta Crew Forum

mikejeep

2 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Not sure if it helps but I did lose signal during an upload a bit before this happened. Maybe that's part of it?

Sure, that could be possible, it's tough to know from my end because nothing is being logged on the app side. @RAvirani is looking into it from the server side. If anyone knows exactly when they experienced this issue (perhaps try another upload now and note the time), please share your web username and attempted upload time.. thanks!

28 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Sure, that could be possible, it's tough to know from my end because nothing is being logged on the app side. @RAvirani is looking into it from the server side. If anyone knows exactly when they experienced this issue (perhaps try another upload now and note the time), please share your web username and attempted upload time.. thanks!

9:32PM and my web username for the app is the same as here PedroDaGr8

• Thanks 1

New SignalCheck beta is rolling out now.. many bugfixes, hopefully they all fix the bugs they intend to!

Those of you experiencing the Internal Server Error upload issue, please try uploading with this new version; if it fails again, send a diagnostic report so I can see if additional information is captured. Also, it should now export log files for inspection; that may help determine what the issue is.

• Like 1

Wi-Fi 5 works. N7 nr2600 still exists. Sent diags. *#0011* shows n41.  Will test other Wi-Fi later.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mikejeep said:

New SignalCheck beta is rolling out now.. many bugfixes, hopefully they all fix the bugs they intend to!

Those of you experiencing the Internal Server Error upload issue, please try uploading with this new version; if it fails again, send a diagnostic report so I can see if additional information is captured. Also, it should now export log files for inspection; that may help determine what the issue is.

The beta changed something because now it says "0 of 18 clusters sent" instead of "Internal Server Error". It does not export a log file or notice that an error occurred. I sent a Diagnostic Report.

Can confirm that n25 reports correctly.

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I did a bit of logging this morning on the way to work and the new beta was able to send the new cluster that I had logged while still not sending the 18 original clusters that are part of the issue. 

EDIT: Hmm I logged a bit more and it appears to only be able to send one cluster of fresh data. So it now says 0 of 19 sent. 

• Thanks 1

Wi-Fi 6e works. Want to double check 4 and 6.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

The beta changed something because now it says "0 of 18 clusters sent" instead of "Internal Server Error". It does not export a log file or notice that an error occurred. I sent a Diagnostic Report.

Thanks for the report, it doesn't tell me what is wrong but it gives more direction as to where to look for the problem. The exported files do not go in the normal SCP directory, they will be in /Android/data/com.blueline.signalcheck/files/weberrors -- did anything new get saved there?

In any case, I will be rolling out another update tonight with some more adjustments to try capturing exactly what is happening here.

15 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Wi-Fi 5 works. N7 nr2600 still exists. Sent diags. *#0011* shows n41.  Will test other Wi-Fi later.

Not sure which phone you're using by my s22 on the beta reports n41 in SCP. The last time I saw n7 was before I got the Android 13 beta. Just wanted to point that out that it is working for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Thanks for the report, it doesn't tell me what is wrong but it gives more direction as to where to look for the problem. The exported files do not go in the normal SCP directory, they will be in /Android/data/com.blueline.signalcheck/files/weberrors -- did anything new get saved there?

In any case, I will be rolling out another update tonight with some more adjustments to try capturing exactly what is happening here.

Yes, there are a bunch of files in that folder but only one since this mornings update. I will upload a handful of the most recent ones to a Google Drive folder and send the link to you in PM

• Thanks 1

Another new SCP beta is rolling out now. It has additional adjustments to the web upload error handling and another(!) attempt to work around the n7/n41 bug. It should be available within the hour. If you have been experiencing these issues, please send diagnostic reports after checking the same things on the new version.

Also, it has been determined that the issues with n41 appearing as n7/n38 and n25 appearing as n2 (and probably other similar issues on other networks) are bugs with the Android OS, and are not manufacturer-specific. Please visit the link below and add a "+1" on it, this will help attract attention for it to be properly fixed by the Android development team:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/253539094

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Another new SCP beta is rolling out now. It has additional adjustments to the web upload error handling and another(!) attempt to work around the n7/n41 bug. It should be available within the hour. If you have been experiencing these issues, please send diagnostic reports after checking the same things on the new version.

Also, it has been determined that the issues with n41 appearing as n7/n38 and n25 appearing as n2 (and probably other similar issues on other networks) are bugs with the Android OS, and are not manufacturer-specific. Please visit the link below and add a "+1" on it, this will help attract attention for it to be properly fixed by the Android development team:

Updated. Sent diagnostics for n7 from a32 5g T-Mobile.

• Sad 1

SCP is your app mikejeep, so you can approach this as you wish. I do get the impression you may be banging your head against the wall.

:wall:

We all hope the SA will soon take over from NSA, thus these type of issues would be solved.  However, can all 5G phones actually support SA in its current implementation?  What about all current NSA site equipment?  How many regional carriers will just wait for SA to become more standardized and affordable to implement? Basically how soon will NSA go away? (Likely will be with us for a while IMO)

Besides waiting for Android/phone manufacturer/chip designer to fix these issues, there is another possible way:  We know the bands the major US carriers operate on. SCP could always start there. Band identification is most important for SCP users followed by the ability to identify the site (GCI/NCI, PCI then followed by bandwidth/frequency, then CA details. TAC is further down the list. Thus start with n7 for T-Mobile plmns is always n41. T-Mobile has no n2 but rather is using n25. Then work through the other items in order where possible. Asterisk what is uncertain.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mikejeep said:

I think we are on to something. This time, when the upload fails, the error message states a file doesn't exist:

"File NR_20221020-163832-1.scp not found."

Diagnostic report sent. 

1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

Thus start with n7 for T-Mobile plmns is always n41. T-Mobile has no n2 but rather is using n25. Then work through the other items in order where possible. Asterisk what is uncertain.

From my understanding, that's what he is doing until it gets fixed properly in Android. My phone, Samsung S22, and others now show n41 and n25 despite Android very clearly reporting n7 and n2 respectively. I think the banging his head against the wall is because he can't figure out why it isn't working for you too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I think we are on to something. This time, when the upload fails, the error message states a file doesn't exist:

"File NR_20221020-163832-1.scp not found."

That's good.. I will send you a PM.

18 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

From my understanding, that's what he is doing until it gets fixed properly in Android. My phone, Samsung S22, and others now show n41 and n25 despite Android very clearly reporting n7 and n2 respectively. I think the banging his head against the wall is because he can't figure out why it isn't working for you too.

Exactly! The workarounds I've been implementing for these band issues check the connection, and if it matches a certain pattern, it will override the band. @dkyeager I think you might be the only one (?) still experiencing the n7 issue, but I'm not positive. I have an A32 myself and the workaround resolved the issue for me quite awhile ago. I'm puzzled as to why it's working for nearly everyone but you, but I'm not giving up yet..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikejeep said:

That's good.. I will send you a PM.

Exactly! The workarounds I've been implementing for these band issues check the connection, and if it matches a certain pattern, it will override the band. @dkyeager I think you might be the only one (?) still experiencing the n7 issue, but I'm not positive. I have an A32 myself and the workaround resolved the issue for me quite awhile ago. I'm puzzled as to why it's working for nearly everyone but you, but I'm not giving up yet..

Thanks for your continued efforts.  I have been checking other 5g phones I have as well. (Some just temporary). The Moto G Stylus 5g (2021) prefers to hang on to band 41 LTE although n41 is in its specs and speed indicates it may be using n41. The One Plus n200 5g behaves like the s21 Ultra in that both just show 5g in general with no hint of band but speed dictates n41.  I will also test the T-Mobile Revvl V+ 5g.

On the Wi-Fi 4 and 5, two recommendations to document away:

1)Minimum Android level to show Wi-Fi level.  

My guess is the lookup is being done through an Android api which has a minimum Android release level of 11.  My Moto g7 power unlocked (factory) is Android 10 which just shows Wi-Fi despite being n (Wi-Fi 4), whereas my Samsung a10e shows 5 with AC. My LG V20(Android 8, data only), G4 (Android 6, AT&T only, data only) and G2 (Android 5, now Wi-Fi only) are all AC but just show Wi-Fi. My T-Mobile Revvl is 2.4 limited but is n (Wi-Fi 4) but is Android 7, VoLTE, unlocked). All loaded current beta scp through play store.

2) Document that Wi-Fi levels often don't match between 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

2.4GHz is typically Wi-Fi 4 while 5GHz is often Wi-Fi 5. Some APs allow you to downgrade Wi-Fi 6 2.4GHz or set a minimum even for all (n for example).

10 hours ago, dkyeager said:

On the Wi-Fi 4 and 5, two recommendations to document away:

1)Minimum Android level to show Wi-Fi level.

The API methods were not added to the OS until Android 11, that's why I have it reflected in the app changelog, "Added Wi-Fi 5/6/7 labels and improved Wi-Fi connection identification on Android 11+ devices."

10 hours ago, dkyeager said:

2) Document that Wi-Fi levels often don't match between 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

2.4GHz is typically Wi-Fi 4 while 5GHz is often Wi-Fi 5. Some APs allow you to downgrade Wi-Fi 6 2.4GHz or set a minimum even for all (n for example).

I'm trying to keep the app as a tool showing simply "what" the connections are instead of "why" the connections are -- I don't want to go down the road of too much educational content because 1) that constantly changes and 2) I already have enough I can't keep up with.

• Like 3

18 months after T-Mobile equipment was installed, my home site has gone live with all bands and good backhaul (1.1Gbps at 2500 feet), thus I can easily do testing of 5g.

Moto G Stylus 5g (2021) 

Only 5g NR is displayed as section header,yet the neighbors show n41.  Using latest beta.  diags sent.

T-Mobile Revvl V+ 5g

SCP works fine with latest beta.

One Plus Nord N200 5g

Only 5g NR is displayed as section header, no 5g neighbors. LTE bandwidth display.  No CA displayed. LTE neighbors work fine.  Speedtests at about 500/20.  Cellmapper also reports unknown - NR NSA.  Latest firmware.  On Boost Mobile using T-Mobile.  No difference with different APNs.

Popped in a US Mobile on Verizon sim.  Only showing LTE with 3xCA 10+20+10 and primary carrier bandwidth. ( have gotten n77 at home, but must have been mimo overshoot.) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

18 months after T-Mobile equipment was installed, my home site has gone live with all bands and good backhaul (1.1Gbps at 2500 feet), thus I can easily do testing of 5g.

Moto G Stylus 5g (2021) 

Only 5g NR is displayed as section header,yet the neighbors show n41.  Using latest beta.  diags sent.

T-Mobile Revvl V+ 5g

One Plus Nord N200 5g

Only 5g NR is displayed as section header, no 5g neighbors. LTE bandwidth display.  No CA displayed. LTE neighbors work fine.  Speedtests at about 500/20.  Cellmapper also reports unknown - NR NSA.  Latest firmware.  On Boost Mobile using T-Mobile.  No difference with different APNs.

Popped in a US Mobile on Verizon sim.  Only showing LTE with 3xCA 10+20+10 and primary carrier bandwidth. ( have gotten n77 at home, but must have been mimo overshoot.)

Forgot to send One Plus Nord N200 5g diags, so now sent. 

At what point does SCP capture the diags? When I press "Send Diagnostics" or when I actually send them?

14 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Moto G Stylus 5g (2021) 

T-Mobile Revvl V+ 5g

One Plus Nord N200 5g

Off-topic question, but do any of these support NR band locking?

- Trip

14 hours ago, Trip said:

Off-topic question, but do any of these support NR band locking?

- Trip

LTE band locking appears possible, but NR band locking is rare. 

The OnePlus Nord N200 5G can be rooted in Android 11.  Current on Android 12 which has numerous issues, including not updating the SCP status bar icon at all.  In theory you can use a program to overwrite with Android 11.  They will give you a code to unlock the boot loader a week after you run some software.  Then their are rooting instructions on XDA developers.  Then NSG. (Mine is already carrier unlocked).

Historically Moto would do the same without the week delay (voids warranty) for their factory unlocked. 

The issue is both firms have new owners.

Okay, I wasn't sure if you knew any more than I did.  I have a pair of Moto One 5G Ace phones and I can band lock LTE but not NR, which is frustrating since NR SA with Tello works on them but not on my NR-lockable A32 I bought specifically so I could band lock NR.

- Trip

On 11/2/2022 at 7:54 PM, dkyeager said:

At what point does SCP capture the diags? When I press "Send Diagnostics" or when I actually send them?

It captures everything at the moment you press Send. If there's a connection issue, it'll capture them the same way but won't send until you go back to that screen and try again.

You can also long-press on the "Connected to..." text on the main screen to send diags -- but you can't add comments if you do it that way.

• Like 1