IT'S THE WiMAX COUNTDOWN!!!

S4GRU

Ugh. If NYC weren't on the list, I'd say just terminate the lease and let MC/MB sink. It looks like Sprint owns all of the BRS in the areas affected, and that's probably enough for all of the areas on the list except for NYC in the near-to-mid term future. Oh well.

Edit: nevermind. Just saw fierce's list. Damn. This is really crazy.

• Like 1

Ouch.

They include: Atlanta; Boston; Chicago; Dallas; Denver; Honolulu; Indianapolis; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Miami; Minneapolis-Saint Paul; New York City; Philadelphia; Salt Lake City; San Francisco; and Washington, D.C.

• Like 1

Ouch.

They include: Atlanta; Boston; Chicago; Dallas; Denver; Honolulu; Indianapolis; Las Vegas; Los Angeles; Miami; Minneapolis-Saint Paul; New York City; Philadelphia; Salt Lake City; San Francisco; and Washington, D.C.

Yeah. This hurts. Oh well.... "It's the final countdown"... doo do doooooooo dooooo.... doo doo do do dooooo

I fail to see why everyone is so up in arms over this decision.  Courts routinely issue injunctions to buy time to get affected parties to settle their differences out of court.  And while this injunction decision went against Sprint, it is hardly a disaster.

The WiMAX shutdown is not going to make Sprint suddenly the best thing since sliced bread.  Sprint already is doing well with existing band 41 bandwidth.  A second, third, fourth, etc., band 41 carrier is just icing on the cake.

In Kansas City, Sprint has two band 41 carriers and is humming along just fine.  Is it the fastest among the big four?  Not sure.  But who cares?  It works well.  However, if your wireless ego requires you to chase the fastest, then you may have to wait at least 90 days or go elsewhere to seek that elusive goal.

AJ

• Like 5

I fail to see why everyone is so up in arms over this decision.  Courts routinely issue injunctions to buy time to get affected parties to settle their differences out of court.  And while this injunction decision went against Sprint, it is hardly a disaster.

The WiMAX shutdown is not going to make Sprint suddenly the best thing since sliced bread.  Sprint already is doing well with existing band 41 bandwidth.  A second, third, fourth, etc., band 41 carrier is just icing on the cake.

In Kansas City, Sprint has two band 41 carriers and is humming along just fine.  Is it the fastest among the big four?  Not sure.  But who cares?  It works well.  However, if your wireless ego requires you to chase the fastest, then you may have to wait at least 90 days or go elsewhere to seek that elusive goal.

AJ

My biggest concern is any possible impact on the 3xCA FITs. I know 3xCA may not be practically necessary, but it sure would give Sprint a decent perception boost. And Sprint needs as much help as they can get in that regard. I guess they'll just do the FITs in unaffected areas? I hope(?)

My second concern is financial impact. I assume cutting off WiMAX would go a long way towards hitting that $2bil expense reduction, and the sooner that happens the better Sprint's Q4 financials will look.

Edit: I also think this is stupid in principle. They've had years, what good is 90 days gonna do? I guess the legal system can't examine past activity between MB/MC and Sprint, and needs time to examine their relationship. Why didn't MB/MC take this to court earlier? As far as I can tell that would have been mutually beneficial for all involved parties, unless MB/MC's goal is to screw over Sprint.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is any possible impact on the 3xCA FITs. I know 3xCA may not be practically necessary, but it sure would give Sprint a decent perception boost. And Sprint needs as much help as they can get in that regard. I guess they'll just do the FITs in unaffected areas? I hope(?)

My second concern is financial impact. I assume cutting off WiMAX would go a long way towards hitting that $2bil expense reduction, and the sooner that happens the better Sprint's Q4 financials will look.

Edit: I also think this is stupid in principle. They've had years, what good is 90 days gonna do? I guess the legal system can't examine past activity between MB/MC and Sprint, and needs time to examine their relationship. Why didn't MB/MC take this to court earlier? As far as I can tell that would have been mutually beneficial for all involved parties, unless MB/MC's goal is to screw over Sprint.

There aren't any devices that can take advantage of 3xCA yet. As I understand it, it's mainly for the LTE to be turned up on the capable Clear Gear and then 2xCA where it can be done.

You make a good point with the financials.

90 days will hopefully let the parties resolve this. For all we know it's done before 90 days and we can all celebrate then. As for why MB/MC didn't take this to Court earlier... This was a deliberate strategy. They were geared up with a set of talking points to use at every stage, including for when Sprint threw the switch to put them in "digital darkness".... I admire them for how well they handled this and how well the messaging worked. They worked the system, and found a sympathetic judge who probably uses another carrier besides Sprint.

Unlimited Data on Wi-Fi Hotspots without any kind of throttling for nearly nothing as I understand it? Yeah, that's a screw you to Sprint in my opinion. Sprint should just fund a charitable wireline buildout for each location with the local Cable/Telecom provider. Not sure why they haven't done this. Would it cost more than providing hundreds of GB's over WiMAX and now LTE?

• Like 1

All I'll say is that I absolutely hate this injunction. And yes, it does hurt Sprint's business plans. Sprint had this planned for a very long time. Much resources and time went into this. So now, Sprint has to delay offering a better service to the majority of its customers just so these organizations have more "time".

• Like 3

I fail to see why everyone is so up in arms over this decision. Courts routinely issue injunctions to buy time to get affected parties to settle their differences out of court. And while this injunction decision went against Sprint, it is hardly a disaster.

The WiMAX shutdown is not going to make Sprint suddenly the best thing since sliced bread. Sprint already is doing well with existing band 41 bandwidth. A second, third, fourth, etc., band 41 carrier is just icing on the cake.

In Kansas City, Sprint has two band 41 carriers and is humming along just fine. Is it the fastest among the big four? Not sure. But who cares? It works well. However, if your wireless ego requires you to chase the fastest, then you may have to wait at least 90 days or go elsewhere to seek that elusive goal.

AJ

Have you used single carrier band 41 in Manhattan? It's not usable AJ, I'm sorry. This shutdown was a huge deal for NYC residents.

• Like 6

The posted articles and court order do not define the exact meaning of the "cities" which are affected.  I'm sure that there are documents somewhere which do define this.  My question:  If the order states that "Chicago" cannot be turned off, does this mean the City of Chicago or the Sprint Chicago Market.  I live in the Chicago Market, but I am over 30 miles from the nearest Chicago city limit, so is WiMax affected where I live?  I could ask the same question for all 75 "cities" named.

Added: I'm sure Sprint has very high-priced teams of lawyers asking this same question, and others even more aggressive.  I expect that we will see them charge out of Overland Park with their legal guns blazing in the days ahead.  There is too much future revenue involved for Sprint not to be aggressive.

• Like 1

I imagine they will shut down all consumer Clear/Sprint customers. I agree it shouldn't pose any real problems for Sprint. I do however hope Sprint steps up B41 deployment (I am sure Nashville isn't a hugely important market but B25/B26 networks seem to really struggle most of the day), now weather that's from tuning or something on the back end I am not sure.

I imagine they will shut down all consumer Clear/Sprint customers. I agree it shouldn't pose any real problems for Sprint. I do however hope Sprint steps up B41 deployment (I am sure Nashville isn't a hugely important market but B25/B26 networks seem to really struggle most of the day), now weather that's from tuning or something on the back end I am not sure.

So MVNO accounts should be able to stay on WiMax. Well let's see how FreedomPOP be able to keep the service running?

The posted articles and court order do not define the exact meaning of the "cities" which are affected.  I'm sure that there are documents somewhere which do define this.  My question:  If the order states that "Chicago" cannot be turned off, does this mean the City of Chicago or the Sprint Chicago Market.  I live in the Chicago Market, but I am over 30 miles from the nearest Chicago city limit, so is WiMax affected where I live?  I could ask the same question for all 75 "cities" named.

Added: I'm sure Sprint has very high-priced teams of lawyers asking this same question, and others even more aggressive.  I expect that we will see them charge out of Overland Park with their legal guns blazing in the days ahead.  There is too much future revenue involved for Sprint not to be aggressive.

It should only affect where EBS licenses for MB/MC are located.  EBS licenses "split the football" in cities where there are multiple overlapping license holders.  Quite possible that a lot of the Chicago Sprint market is shut down but EBS license areas are still active.  Also, nothing should stop Sprint from shutting down BRS WiMax carriers anywhere in the country.

• Like 1

So MVNO accounts should be able to stay on WiMax. Well let's see how FreedomPOP be able to keep the service running?

I think all but MC/MB WiMax accounts will shut down tonight.

• Like 1

Which makes no sense given the lawsuit.

I interpret it as they must keep it live for their "300,000" impacted individuals no matter where they reside and where they go and can take advantage of wimax everywhere where Clearwire had it live.

I interpret it as they must keep it live for their "300,000" impacted individuals no matter where they reside and where they go and can take advantage of wimax everywhere where Clearwire had it live.

That's such an absurd over reach.  The people affected weren't even mobile customers the best I can tell.  It even includes Expedience markets like Anchorage, Dayton and Duluth.  MC/MB customers can't even use Expedience.  Clearwire never had a WiMax and Expedience device that worked on both networks.  And Clearwire sent notices about the end of Expedience and no new accounts before Sprint even bought them out.

EDIT:  But I guess they can close down the Expedience network in Reno and St. Cloud.  Strange.

• Like 2