Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

I know I did not see it the last couple of times I went through the customization process, but the last time was a few days ago, at least. I'm still on the fence about this phone. I keep thinking, if I'm going to get it, I should get the 64GB one and get a wooden back, like I want, but that pushes the price up $125. So, I am waffling. One (ok, two) question(s) those of you who have it may be able to answer, though: Does the bumper case that comes with it make enough of a lip on the front and back that, when placed either face up or face down on a flat surface, only the bumper touches, and is the bumper made of TPU?

The bumper is made of hard plastic and does not seem to be liked by anyone.

#5 addresses the bumper.

Five things you need to know about the Moto X Pure Edition http://www.androidcentral.com/five-things-you-need-know-about-moto-x-pure-edition

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bumper, shmumper.  My handsets live in a nudist colony.  Au natural.

AJ

• Like 7

By the way, everyone, the kitted SIM option that has only now been added as promised to Moto Maker is a perfect example of why you do not have to be an early adopter, maybe even should not be an early adopter.  If you insist upon being a pioneer, expect problems, and if you complain, those complaints come across as tone deaf.

AJ

• Like 5

The bumper is made of hard plastic and does not seem to be liked by anyone.

#5 addresses the bumper.

Five things you need to know about the Moto X Pure Edition http://www.androidcentral.com/five-things-you-need-know-about-moto-x-pure-edition

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I saw that after I posted.  Thanks!!

Bumper, shmumper.  My handsets live in a nudist colony.  Au natural.

AJ

The thing is, while I am careful with my phones, they do, sometimes, get dropped.  Never all that far, or anything, but enough to get a ding or scrape, so I like a TPU case to protect them, and it gives better grip.

• Like 2

By the way, everyone, the kitted SIM option that has only now been added as promised to Moto Maker is a perfect example of why you do not have to be an early adopter, maybe even should not be an early adopter.  If you insist upon being a pioneer, expect problems, and if you complain, those complaints come across as tone deaf.

AJ

AJ, while early adopters will always feel some pain, you can't place all of the blame for this on that point alone.  Sprint has been doing this for two years with the Nexus 6, Nexus 5, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, (maybe iPhone 5/S/C) etc.  There should be a very easy to obtain document for any support agent or store employee to reference.  

I.E. Here is who you call if the IMEI/MEID won't activate, here is the SIM Compatibility matrix.  

I understand release day and maybe even day two, however, by day three there should be documents all over the place on how a new device should be handled.

We are all tech nerds, but what will the college bro/sorority girl do with their new iPhone that just shipped in from mommy and daddy or your middle aged retiree that ordered a new device from the Google Play Store?  They'll walk their happy butt across the street to the Blue/Red/Magenta store and be rolling in 15 mins.

The carrier needs to shoulder there portion of the blame too.  I documented my experience in an email to Sprint executive support and got a call back today, it is being looked into and hopefully some good change will come from the experience I had regarding customer service.  BYOD appears to be the way of the future, get solid process/procedure in place now to make customers happy and not want to go to another carrier.

As for my dilemna, my SIM is out for delivery with UPS, guessing I'll see it this afternoon as UPS switch routes recently.  We used to be morning, but are not later in the day.

• Like 4

AJ, while early adopters will always feel some pain, you can't place all of the blame for this on that point alone. Sprint has been doing this for two years with the Nexus 6, Nexus 5, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, (maybe iPhone 5/S/C) etc. There should be a very easy to obtain document for any support agent or store employee to reference.

I.E. Here is who you call if the IMEI/MEID won't activate, here is the SIM Compatibility matrix.

I understand release day and maybe even day two, however, by day three there should be documents all over the place on how a new device should be handled.

We are all tech nerds, but what will the college bro/sorority girl do with their new iPhone that just shipped in from mommy and daddy or your middle aged retiree that ordered a new device from the Google Play Store? They'll walk their happy butt across the street to the Blue/Red/Magenta store and be rolling in 15 mins.

The carrier needs to shoulder there portion of the blame too. I documented my experience in an email to Sprint executive support and got a call back today, it is being looked into and hopefully some good change will come from the experience I had regarding customer service. BYOD appears to be the way of the future, get solid process/procedure in place now to make customers happy and not want to go to another carrier.

As for my dilemna, my SIM is out for delivery with UPS, guessing I'll see it this afternoon as UPS switch routes recently. We used to be morning, but are not later in the day.

100% agree! Do you have to have a copy of what you wrote to Sprint? Ill prob be doing one myself.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Edited by ttwiitch
  • Like 1

Seems like Global Roaming add-on nor the Open World Plan are not compatible with the Moto X Pure, as customer care is not able to add it back to my account. Any other users having issues adding these back to their account ?

I know there's a thread for Open World  already but this also applies to the Pure. Feel free to move if needed.

Anyone else notice how this device and SignalCheck Pro don't play real well together?  I keep getting LTE without the band and no GCI.  Seems to go back and forth...  Also it is erroneously showing a 1x connection at the same time as LTE. 

Oh well.  I ended up returning my Best Buy phone since it wouldn't activate and now I have my white and silver model with the walnut back.  And it activated online without even needing to go into Chat.  Very simple - they way it should be.  :tu:

Anyone else notice how this device and SignalCheck Pro don't play real well together? I keep getting LTE without the band and no GCI. Seems to go back and forth... Also it is erroneously showing a 1x connection at the same time as LTE.

Oh well. I ended up returning my Best Buy phone since it wouldn't activate and now I have my white and silver model with the walnut back. And it activated online without even needing to go into Chat. Very simple - they way it should be. :tu:

What you are seeing on SCP is an Android 5.1 bug. Or feature. Not sure which. After dropping to 3G, and then finding LTE again, a 1x signal will continue to be displayed, and continue to update for several minutes. We do not know why this is, but it affects all devices running 5.1. There is no known workaround at this point. As long as the 1x data is showing, the GCI and PCI fields are not populating correctly.

Sent from my LG G4

What you are seeing on SCP is an Android 5.1 bug. Or feature. Not sure which. After dropping to 3G, and then finding LTE again, a 1x signal will continue to be displayed, and continue to update for several minutes. We do not know why this is, but it affects all devices running 5.1. There is no known workaround at this point. As long as the 1x data is showing, the GCI and PCI fields are not populating correctly.

Sent from my LG G4

Ahh.  Thanks for the update.  I guess that's what I get for going to iOS for a year.  ;)

While I was using my Nexus 5 recently, I never updated to 5.1.

Hardly scientific, but I have a few "spots" on my desk that I use to compare signals.  My office is in a pretty weak area where I usually bounce around between unusable B25 and an okay B26 signal.

I can say that my MXPE seems 3-5 dbm better than my N5 on B26.  Haven't left my office yet to do any comparisons on B25 or B41.  Note - my MXPE is showing about -102-104 (very steady) while my N5 would bounce around between -107-114 in the same area.  My N5 tests were done approximately 30 minutes before the MXPE readings.  I made sure these were on the same sites and same sectors.

And right as I was ready to hit submit my MXPE switched to B25.  -115 reading, probably about the same as the N5 if it can get B25 at all anymore.

• Like 2

It's done, it's done, it's finally done.  Tried to activate via the website, took the MEID and ICC, but still got an error that it couldn't activate.  Had to go back to online chat.  He had me turn both phones off, the he asked me to remove the battery for the ESN/DEC.  I explained that the battery was not removable.  With the phone off the best i could do was the IMEI from the box and that the MEID was the same with the last number removed.  He finally came back and had me turn the phone on for activation to occur.  Took a bit, but it's done!

• Like 9

It's done, it's done, it's finally done. Tried to activate via the website, took the MEID and ICC, but still got an error that it couldn't activate. Had to go back to online chat. He had me turn both phones off, the he asked me to remove the battery for the ESN/DEC. I explained that the battery was not removable. With the phone off the best i could do was the IMEI from the box and that the MEID was the same with the last number removed. He finally came back and had me turn the phone on for activation to occur. Took a bit, but it's done!

It was kind of nice for everyone to be solving the activation headache for me, but now I'm starting to get a bit jealous. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

AJ, while early adopters will always feel some pain, you can't place all of the blame for this on that point alone.  Sprint has been doing this for two years with the Nexus 6, Nexus 5, iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, (maybe iPhone 5/S/C) etc.  There should be a very easy to obtain document for any support agent or store employee to reference.  

We are all tech nerds, but what will the college bro/sorority girl do with their new iPhone that just shipped in from mommy and daddy or your middle aged retiree that ordered a new device from the Google Play Store?  They'll walk their happy butt across the street to the Blue/Red/Magenta store and be rolling in 15 mins.

The carrier needs to shoulder there portion of the blame too.  I documented my experience in an email to Sprint executive support and got a call back today, it is being looked into and hopefully some good change will come from the experience I had regarding customer service.  BYOD appears to be the way of the future, get solid process/procedure in place now to make customers happy and not want to go to another carrier.

Let us not compare any iPhone to the 2015 Moto X or 2015 Nexus 5.  That is a mountain to a molehill situation.  I doubt that too many new or existing Sprint subs are going to have trouble activating an iPhone.  The iPhone is a big deal -- staff and stores almost certainly are trained and stocked accordingly.

As much as we wireless network enthusiasts want to make the 2015 Moto X and 2015 Nexus 5 out to be similarly big deals, they are not.  Not even close.  They will do minimal volume and mostly fly under the radar.  With the 2015 Moto X, we know that Sprint was prepared well in advance in the internal Playbook.  But I am not going to fault Sprint for not ensuring that all sales and call center reps are properly informed about a niche handset.  They have bigger fish to fry.

A week ago, I think I was the first at S4GRU to receive my newly delivered 2015 Moto X.  That putting me truly on the cutting edge.  I went to a store and showed the handset to a Sprint sales rep.  I thought that he would appreciate seeing it in the flesh for the first time.  He acted like it was cool, but I do not think that he knew what it was.  And I cannot really blame him.  He is not going to make any money off of the 2015 Moto X -- because Sprint is not going to sell it, only activate it.

And, agreed, BYOD is getting bigger every year.  Sprint will have to adapt its practices, but that does not mean right now.  As for the "Blue/Red/Magenta store" activation option, the grass may look greener on the other side -- but that is often just spray paint or astroturf.  Ask Robert how life is/was on AT&T with an unsupported BYOD handset?

AJ

• Like 2

Ask Robert how life is/was on AT&T with an unsupported BYOD handset?

Don't even get me started.  Sometimes easy and flawless.  And other times I was begging someone to shoot me.

Don't even get me started.  Sometimes easy and flawless.  And other times I was begging someone to shoot me.

Thanks for supporting my point.

;)

AJ

I just wrote such a great reply and my Surface Pro killed it when I highlighted a section and hit backspace to delete it.  Took me to the previous page...

GRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll do it again later, kids are home from school

Let us not compare any iPhone to the 2015 Moto X or 2015 Nexus 5. That is a mountain to a molehill situation. I doubt that too many new or existing Sprint subs are going to have trouble activating an iPhone. The iPhone is a big deal -- staff and stores almost certainly are trained and stocked accordingly.

As much as we wireless network enthusiasts want to make the 2015 Moto X and 2015 Nexus 5 out to be similarly big deals, they are not. Not even close. They will do minimal volume and mostly fly under the radar. With the 2015 Moto X, we know that Sprint was prepared well in advance in the internal Playbook. But I am not going to fault Sprint for not ensuring that all sales and call center reps are properly informed about a niche handset. They have bigger fish to fry.

A week ago, I think I was the first at S4GRU to receive my newly delivered 2015 Moto X. That putting me truly on the cutting edge. I went to a store and showed the handset to a Sprint sales rep. I thought that he would appreciate seeing it in the flesh for the first time. He acted like it was cool, but I do not think that he knew what it was. And I cannot really blame him. He is not going to make any money off of the 2015 Moto X -- because Sprint is not going to sell it, only activate it.

And, agreed, BYOD is getting bigger every year. Sprint will have to adapt its practices, but that does not mean right now. As for the "Blue/Red/Magenta store" activation option, the grass may look greener on the other side -- but that is often just spray paint or astroturf. Ask Robert how life is/was on AT&T with an unsupported BYOD handset?

AJ

All great points. Coming from mainstream Samsung, I hadn't really considered just how niche of a product the MXPE truly is. However, I don't agree that Sprint shouldn't have been more ready now. We know there are few geeks like us in carrier stores. Sprint also knows this. Those people largely rely on what they see on the computer screen to get through the process. How much does it really take for the correct sim to be listed for these people? Surely, the correct sim listing would have helped a lot of people. I agree that not everyone needs to be aware on launch day, but that's more reason - not less - for them to be ready for any device. If you were just coming to Sprint, this experience might be enough to make you reconsider.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The BYOD process is such new territory that we have to expect hiccups there. There are signs that I find highly encouraging like the use of CSIM and that we haven't had too many horror stories yet. Rome wasn't built in a day, folks. Marcelo's end vision may well be a carrier far more open to BYOD but when he is taking over a carrier that was dead set against it culturally and in about every other way you can count, that transition will take time.

• Like 3

Will the use of a CSIM finally allow moving to a cdma2000 device without having to call support to activate? Or, are we still a ways off from that? Because isn't that one of the benefits of that particular sim?

Will the use of a CSIM finally allow moving to a cdma2000 device without having to call support to activate? Or, are we still a ways off from that? Because isn't that one of the benefits of that particular sim?

It's a capability of csim but sprint has to deploy that capability network side.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Count me as another Best Buy Mobile success story.  I went in with the UPC for the correct UICC/CSIM for the 2015 Moto X.  Less than five minutes and $10 later, I walked out with the right 4FF nano SIM.  Easy peasy.

After SIM installation and a second power cycle, the online activation tool in my Sprint account also worked well.  It recognized the IMEI -- which it did not last week -- and the UICC ID.  For the first time ever in my Sprint activation history, it did not require any human support intervention.

So, my admonitions about patience seem to have paid off.

AJ

• Like 10