Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

It is real wood.  Bamboo, which OEMs and environmentalists both like because it is sustainable.  Bamboo grows very quickly.

AJ

All too quickly. And it even thrives in the desert, making it even more sustainable.

AJ

I agree with all your sentiments.. today. But luckly most of these shortcomings could easily be addressed with a few software updates.

Fortunately, the hardware is solid.

Hopefully these issues are addressed sooner than later before word gets out and kills any possible success.

I am about ready to pass judgment. As it stands now, the hard truth about the 2015 Moto X is that it will not be a good device for our S4GRU membership of network deployment and RF signal trackers.

Carrier aggregation is the next big thing in Network Vision -- and for the other big three operators for that matter. If the Motorola engineering screens cannot display 2x CA SCC signal metrics, that is a major shortcoming for our RF power users.

Moreover, the same basic LTE engineering screen that has been carried over from the non CA 2014 Moto X and non CA Nexus 6 has somehow reverted to the 2013 Moto X band misidentification quirk. Band 41 is band 40. Band 25 is band 24. Not a huge deal for those bands. We know that Sprint does not operate in band 40 nor band 24. But what about band 26 identified as band 25? Does the engineering screen always erroneously subtract one band? What about AT&T band 5 identified as band 4? What can you trust?

And I can report after trying my T-Mobile prepaid SIM that the standard dialer codes with the Sprint SIM are blocked. The same is likely true with a VZW SIM or AT&T SIM. There may be workarounds with shortcut makers or root access. But nothing is guaranteed.

Disappointing. Maybe some of these issues will get addressed in future updates. I would not count on that, though. Among even our membership, only some of us use engineering screen signal metrics for important purposes. We are an incredibly small minority.

In the end, the design, materials, and performance to price ratio of the 2015 Moto X likely will not be topped this year. It is a very nice handset for most use cases. But I now think the LG manufactured 2015 Nexus 5 -- like its predecessor -- will be the S4GRU network deployment and RF signal tracking handset to have.

AJ

I have a nexus 6 right now, how does the signal strength stack up against it?

I agree with all your sentiments.. today. But luckly most of these shortcomings could easily be addressed with a few software updates.

Fortunately, the hardware is solid.

Hopefully these issues are addressed sooner than later before word gets out and kills any possible success.

Are you agreeing with my sentiments about engineering screen shortcomings?  Those are not apt to be addressed in future updates.  Possibly but not likely.

Even including engineering screens is becoming more and more rare and accessing them is becoming more and more difficult.  For example, operators do not want end users to be concerned with what bands they are using.  And operators certainly do not want end users altering band priorities and other settings that could affect network loading or even render handsets unusable -- handsets that operators then could be required to or pressured to replace.

Regardless, the presence of, absence of, or shortcomings within the 2015 Moto X engineering screens will not affect its sales.  Even among the more savvy unlocked handset customer base, people like me are probably no more than 0.5 percent.  We mean nothing to sales or lack thereof.

AJ

• Like 2

I am about ready to pass judgment.  As it stands now, the hard truth about the 2015 Moto X is that it will not be a good device for our S4GRU membership of network deployment and RF signal trackers.

Carrier aggregation is the next big thing in Network Vision -- and for the other big three operators for that matter.  If the Motorola engineering screens cannot display 2x CA SCC signal metrics, that is a major shortcoming for our RF power users.

Moreover, the same basic LTE engineering screen that has been carried over from the non CA 2014 Moto X and non CA Nexus 6 has somehow reverted to the 2013 Moto X band misidentification quirk.  Band 41 is band 40.  Band 25 is band 24.  Not a huge deal for those bands.  We know that Sprint does not operate in band 40 nor band 24.  But what about band 26 identified as band 25?  Does the engineering screen always erroneously subtract one band?  What about AT&T band 5 identified as band 4?  What can you trust?

And I can report after trying my T-Mobile prepaid SIM that the standard dialer codes with the Sprint SIM are blocked.  The same is likely true with a VZW SIM or AT&T SIM.  There may be workarounds with shortcut makers or root access.  But nothing is guaranteed.

Disappointing.  Maybe some of these issues will get addressed in future updates.  I would not count on that, though.  Among even our membership, only some of us use engineering screen signal metrics for important purposes.  We are an incredibly small minority.

In the end, the design, materials, and performance to price ratio of the 2015 Moto X likely will not be topped this year.  It is a very nice handset for most use cases.  But I now think the LG manufactured 2015 Nexus 5 -- like its predecessor -- will be the S4GRU network deployment and RF signal tracking handset to have.

AJ

I have been wondering about how well the iPhone 6s allows you to check radio frequency and network/connection data. It seems to me there is a "Field Test" setting that displays some info on the home screen as well as more complete information when you access Field Test directly. I am an Android user currently so I have no hands on experience with the iPhone.

"And I can report after trying my T-Mobile prepaid SIM that the standard dialer codes with the Sprint SIM are blocked.  The same is likely true with a VZW SIM or AT&T SIM.  There may be workarounds with shortcut makers or root access.  But nothing is guaranteed."

I had a related question on this and Apple SIM in the Josh McDaniel and your iPhone 6s article. There is probably no way to know until someone gets there hands on one (iPhone 6s), but this seems to be an issue that lets the air out of actual cross carrier compatibillity of phones that would otherwise work. I am still trying to understand with either the iPhone 6s or Moto X Pure does changing the SIM (including swapping the SIMs back and forth) still allow you to use the phone on the carrier you got the the SIM from? Then with iPhone 6s there is the question of Apple SIM as well as e-SIM (Apple & Android).

It is real wood.  Bamboo, which OEMs and environmentalists both like because it is sustainable.  Bamboo grows very quickly.

All too quickly. And it even thrives in the desert, making it even more sustainable.

Josh was tardy with his iPhone 6S article, so other staff had to step up.  We now know what Josh's penance should be -- he must go into the desert to face the ants and fast growing bamboo.

Josh loves ants.  His favorite movie is "Ant-Man."

;)

AJ

Are you agreeing with my sentiments about engineering screen shortcomings? Those are not apt to be addressed in future updates. Possibly but not likely.

Even including engineering screens is becoming more and more rare and accessing them is becoming more and more difficult. For example, operators do not want end users to be concerned with what bands they are using. And operators certainly do not want end users altering band priorities and other settings that could affect network loading or even render handsets unusable -- handsets that operators then could be required to or pressured to replace.

Regardless, the presence of, absence of, or shortcomings within the 2015 Moto X engineering screens will not affect its sales. Even among the more savvy unlocked handset customer base, people like me are probably no more than 0.5 percent. We mean nothing to sales or lack thereof.

AJ

Keep in mind that moto was nice enough to give us all the hidden engineering menus through an update well after the N6 release.

Bill I have a quick favor to ask you.

If you go to this link and enter your MEID does it say your device can be activated on GSM and CDMA or GSM only?  Trying to see if all we really need is the correct SIM or if some devices have been whitelisted while others aren't.

https://ting.com/byod

My N5 shows GSM and CDMA.  But my Pure only shows GSM currently.  

At least one Ting user has reported successful activation on Ting using CDMA.  Ting has not officially responded that the phone can be supported via CDMA but I suspect that announcement next week.  Regarding Bill's attempt at the BYOD check, it looks like Sprint's financial eligibility database was not yet up to date for the phone (or maybe the SIM).  Maybe it'll work now.

DC

Has anyone seen if this phone actually supports VoLTE? I don't even see the settings option for VoLTE with T-Mobile Verizon or at&t SIM cards in there. I heard somewhere that Motorola stated that VZW is supporting VoLTE on this phone and thats about all I can find about it.

Has anyone seen if this phone actually supports VoLTE? I don't even see the settings option for VoLTE with T-Mobile Verizon or at&t SIM cards in there. I heard somewhere that Motorola stated that VZW is supporting VoLTE on this phone and thats about all I can find about it.

Allegedly there's an update coming that will enable VoLTE, but with the relationship between Motorola and T-Mobile being what it is, who knows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Managed to get the correct SIM Card SIMGLW4446C at a Corporate Store that is 50 miles away from home as I was in Mexico for the weekend. Best Buy wanted $30 for the SIM so walked out. 

Tried activating online and no luck. Called Customer service and no luck so they transferred me to Tech Support, they opened a click it ticket and the network team will be adding the IMEI to the network database. The rep stated it might take up to 24 hours and will get a call in order to verify a few more things. 

• Like 2

I called at&t and they told me they don't support it or any Motorola device for VoLTE.

There's a speck of dirt under the glass so I'm gonna take it back and wait til Christmas and hopefully it'll have VoLTE enabled by then. I really do like this device. Fastest Android I've used yet. The large screen is fantastic. Battery life seems disappointing though.

One thing I don't understand is why isn't there much info about things such as carrier aggregation on this device? I had to wait until I bought it, and used it on at&t to actually know that it supports it and works.

Managed to get the correct SIM Card SIMGLW4446C at a Corporate Store that is 50 miles away from home as I was in Mexico for the weekend. Best Buy wanted $30 for the SIM so walked out. 

Tried activating online and no luck. Called Customer service and no luck so they transferred me to Tech Support, they opened a click it ticket and the network team will be adding the IMEI to the network database. The rep stated it might take up to 24 hours and will get a call in order to verify a few more things. 

When attempting activation, did you try the leave one number off the end of the imei technique?  Just curious if that "works every time".

When attempting activation, did you try the leave one number off the end of the imei technique?  Just curious if that "works every time".

Yup, did leave off the last digit and when trying activating online it gave me an error message. Even chat support stated that I gave them an incorrect IMEI.

I hate this process. I love the phone but why is this SO hard and complicated. I'm broken on spending $400+ dollars on a device that will prob wont work with Sprint! Or very hard to ...ugh

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

The phone will definitely work with Sprint, just the process for activating this phone and handling customers requests is not well defined.

• Like 1

Im going to order the Nano sim card now so by the time i get the phone, I'm good to go. So i just call Sprint and ask for Nano? They won't question me what phone for? If i say moto x pure edition will they give me a hard time?

Im going to order the Nano sim card now so by the time i get the phone, I'm good to go. So i just call Sprint and ask for Nano? They won't question me what phone for? If i say moto x pure edition will they give me a hard time?

The SIM item number has been confirmed a page or two back.

You're asking the thread participants to confirm what a customer service rep is going to tell you?

Ask a good question like, What will the next powerball numbers be.

Seriously though, give them a call and see. We aren't talking life and death stuff here.

Personally I think Sprint deserves a LITTLE slack here. It's not like they have extensive familiarity with carrier unlocked phones.

Patience, I believe, will pay soon™.

• Like 2

The SIM item number has been confirmed a page or two back.

You're asking the thread participants to confirm what a customer service rep is going to tell you?

Ask a good question like, What will the next powerball numbers be.

Seriously though, give them a call and see. We aren't talking life and death stuff here.

Personally I think Sprint deserves a LITTLE slack here. It's not like they have extensive familiarity with carrier unlocked phones.

Patience, I believe, will pay soon™.

Lol thanks...

I hate this process. I love the phone but why is this SO hard and complicated. I'm broken on spending $400+ dollars on a device that will prob wont work with Sprint! Or very hard to ...ugh

This is the reason I prefer GSM based carriers. No BS and run arounds when using unbranded phones. Hopefully when CDMA is gone and it's only LTE all carriers will be that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2