Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

Let's try this again...

As much as we wireless network enthusiasts want to make the 2015 Moto X and 2015 Nexus 5 out to be similarly big deals, they are not.  Not even close.  They will do minimal volume and mostly fly under the radar.  With the 2015 Moto X, we know that Sprint was prepared well in advance in the internal Playbook.  But I am not going to fault Sprint for not ensuring that all sales and call center reps are properly informed about a niche handset.  They have bigger fish to fry.

And, agreed, BYOD is getting bigger every year.  Sprint will have to adapt its practices, but that does not mean right now.  As for the "Blue/Red/Magenta store" activation option, the grass may look greener on the other side -- but that is often just spray paint or astroturf.  Ask Robert how life is/was on AT&T with an unsupported BYOD handset?

AJ

I agree with most of your post, but I've left the items i need to comment on or disagree with...

I disagree on the Moto X Pure being a niche device, with two year subsidies going away, a high end device, with very quick updates will be very attractive, for a middle of the road price tag is very desirable.  I think this will be a much more popular device that you are giving it credit for.  Both Amazon and Best Buy will push these.

Why wait to establish solid BYOD P&P?  Look what happened to Sprint when they rested on their laurels of a very good EVDO network with T1 backhaul, they got left in the dust and have been paying for it ever since.  Get ahead of the curve and stay ahead of the curve.

I agree the grass may look greener on the other side, but in this day and age of "now, now, now" (i fall into that too), you can't lose customers and money due to a lack of customer service.  People will pay a few extra dollars for better customer service, less time in the store/on the phone/computer with support.

Robert is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.  He should be able to take a BYOD into any wireless carrier store and there should be at least one employee who can tell him the positive and negative about the device on that network, in that area.  They should have a database of every device, its communication capabilities, and be able to tell the customer what type of experience to expect.  Sprint/Verizon are fairly easy, they operate in 3 LTE bands and its pretty consistent (25/26/41 & 2/4/13).  AT&T and T-Mobile have spectrum and bands all over the place so its a bit tougher, but that is the type of customer service that should be given in a BYOD world.

Maybe I'm setting the standard too high because I work in a customer service driven IT industry providing network, infrastructure, and occasional PC support.  However, I hold those giving me support to the same standard that I provide.

• Like 2

Robert is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He should be able to take a BYOD into any wireless carrier store and there should be at least one employee who can tell him the positive and negative about the device on that network, in that area. They should have a database of every device, its communication capabilities, and be able to tell the customer what type of experience to expect. Sprint/Verizon are fairly easy, they operate in 3 LTE bands and its pretty consistent (25/26/41 & 2/4/13). AT&T and T-Mobile have spectrum and bands all over the place so its a bit tougher, but that is the type of customer service that should be given in a BYOD world.

Do you know what happens every time I go into an AT&T store with a device that they don't sell? They tell me my device wasn't designed for their network and that all features may not work. And then I get a hard sell to a new iPhone or Samsung device. I have to demonstrate through advanced technical knowledge that I am not your average bear. I have to do this every time, even if I am there for nothing related to my phone.

I also get that issue every time I call customer service to report any issues. They automatically blame my phone, even if the tower is down, because I am using a device that they don't support because they don't sell it in the AT&T store. Then they try to upscale me on a new device and a contract. From technical support. Real helpful.

So AT&T employees are trained, alright. Trained to aggressively give you misinformation and upsale you at every opportunity. And if you think it's as easy as swapping out your SIM every time, you wish. AT&T has to whitelist your device for LTE to work. If it is not white listed, and your new device has the same size SIM, you may only get GSM or GSM/UMTS.

Every time I have to deal with AT&T customer service, I just die a little inside. Now their stores have a queue system. Just like your favorite DMV. You show up, after 5-10 mins an employee will come over and get your name and add you to the queue. You look around the store for 45 minutes with some god awful commercialized hip hop beat blasting at you, familiarizing yourself with all the products they will hard sale you instead of giving you a Nano SIM that you are going to ask for.

They call it, "The Store of Tomorrow." I call it hell. I'd take a Sprint Shack kiosk in the half closed mall any day. At least I can walk in and tell the employee exactly what I want and they will give it to me. Because I'm more trained than they are.

Using Tapatalk on BlackBerry Z30

• Like 3

Do you know what happens every time I go into an AT&T store with a device that they don't sell? They tell me my device wasn't designed for their network and that all features may not work. And then I get a hard sell to a new iPhone or Samsung device. I have to demonstrate through advanced technical knowledge that I am not your average bear. I have to do this every time, even if I am there for nothing related to my phone.

I also get that issue every time I call customer service to report any issues. They automatically blame my phone, even if the tower is down, because I am using a device that they don't support because they don't sell it in the AT&T store. Then they try to upscale me on a new device and a contract. From technical support. Real helpful.

So AT&T employees are trained, alright. Trained to aggressively give you misinformation and upscale you at everyb opportunity. And if you think it's as easy as swapping out your SIM every time, you wish. AT&T has to whitelist your device for LTE to work. If it is not white listed, and your new device has the same size SIM, you may only get GSM or GSM/UMTS.

Every time I have to deal with AT&T customer service, I just die a little inside. Now their stores have a queue system. Just like your favorite DMV. You show up, after 5-10 mins an employee will come over and get your name and add you to the queue. You look around the store for 45 minutes with some god awful commercialized hip hop beat blasting at you, familiarizing yourself with all the products they will hard sale you instead of giving you a Nano SIM that you are going to ask for.

They call it, "The Store of Tomorrow." I call it hell. I'd take a Sprint Shack kiosk in the half closed mall any day. At least I can walk in and tell the employee exactly what I want and they will give it to me. Because I'm more trained than they are.

That is a terrible experience and i wouldn't want to deal with that either.  Sprint stores utilize a queue system too, however, whatever they tell you your wait will be, multiple by 2.5.  I would be escalating that type of treatment to an executive type level too.

I can understand any carrier pushing you to a device that can "fully" utilize their network infrastructure, but as a service provider, they should also be able to support you with the device that you bring.  Let them give you the 5 min sales pitch, then say "This is what I have and what I will be using."

That is a terrible experience and i wouldn't want to deal with that either. Sprint stores utilize a queue system too, however, whatever they tell you your wait will be, multiple by 2.5. I would be escalating that type of treatment to an executive type level too.

I can understand any carrier pushing you to a device that can "fully" utilize their network infrastructure, but as a service provider, they should also be able to support you with the device that you bring. Let them give you the 5 min sales pitch, then say "This is what I have and what I will be using."

My point is just that Sprint is imperfect, but the grass is not always greener. And personally I would rather shepherd the process at Sprint than fight the process at AT&T.

• Like 4

For the longest time the US really only had one operator that was open about devices, and that was T-Mobile. T-Mobile was really only open about things because they were desperate. As the Legere crew went out building their networks out first starting in urban areas and then outward, they became less desperate. As they became less desperate, their testing became more and more stringent. First, they with Uncarrier 7, demanded that WiFi Calling show up on the devices they sell. Now they ask manufacturers to strip band 12 off devices because the devices don't have VoLTE and can't fall back to 911 for emergency calls without VoLTE. I'm not saying they are bad for doing this, but they are using issues like the Motorola B12 issues to push their own devices. 

T-Mobile is slightly better because they have no whitelist process for LTE, but they are now trying to push devices that work on their network like AT&T is. 

Granted, there's the arguments like this one, that place blame on the OEM's:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/3ldrga/does_carrier_certification_create_more_problems/cv5jqud

I'm sure that has merit, but there's always been a sales component to this too. 

• Like 1

You know what Sprint can do to make me dislike them less?

Get rid of the DAMN ACTIVATION FEES. I call and get them to remove them after the fact but even when it goes well and they agree to waive them the first call I still feel aggravated that I have to call in and ask.

I activated the phone MYSELF at HOME! Why should I pay a $36 activation fee for something that had literally no input from Sprint employees? I'm totally fine with paying the fee if I need to come into a store and get an employee to do it or to make it work correctly.

It just chaps my ass that I have to pay Sprint for doing nothing.

edit: To really get sand in my craw the new iphone has a waived activation fee http://i.imgur.com/vQ31Q38.jpg

• Like 4

And personally I would rather shepherd the process at Sprint than fight the process at AT&T.

I thought you said that you would rather shepherd the process at Pstunt.

;)

AJ

I thought you said that you would rather shepherd the process at Pstunt.

;)

AJ

I have a love/hate thing for the Blackberry keyboard. It is the nicest to use virtual keyboard on the market. The actual typing on it is awesome. But I cannot seem to grasp its auto suggestions.

• Like 1

I have a love/hate thing for the Blackberry keyboard. It is the nicest to use virtual keyboard on the market. The actual typing on it is awesome. But I cannot seem to grasp its auto suggestions.

Hey, guy.  Maybe those auto suggestions are Canadian vernacular, eh?

AJ

• Like 2

Anyone who has a 16gb version, what's the avg space free? My local bestbuy has 10 16gb ones in stock. I'd rather have a 32gb but my note 4 is dying on me

Sent from a Note 4

Total Space is 9.61GB

I have about 2.5GB available

Apps 3.61

Pics/Video 409MB

Downloads 95MB

Cache 603MB

I'll probably be ordering a 64GB microSD today

Misc 339MB (Podcasts)

• Like 1

Get rid of the DAMN ACTIVATION FEES. I call and get them to remove them after the fact but even when it goes well and they agree to waive them the first call I still feel aggravated that I have to call in and ask.

I activated the phone MYSELF at HOME! Why should I pay a $36 activation fee for something that had literally no input from Sprint employees? I'm totally fine with paying the fee if I need to come into a store and get an employee to do it or to make it work correctly.

LOL, this reminds me of when Fabian Cortez and I went back and forth on whether the SIM Card fee on T-Mobile was a shadow activation fee. It is if you have to pay for a new SIM with Jump on Demand or EIP, was my answer.

Ironically Verizon isn't charging the activation fee or a SIM fee on their device financing. AT&T is charging $15 as their Next plan activation fee which is similar to T-Mobile's SIM Card fee.

Now if I switched to T-Mobile here I'd definitely go in store somewhere and port my line and make sure that I didn't pay the SIM fee, citing that I already did as a $30 SIM customer. It's the principle of the fee that aggravates me, whether it is called a SIM fee or activation fee.

LOL, this reminds me of when Fabian Cortez and I went back and forth on whether the SIM Card fee on T-Mobile was a shadow activation fee. It is if you have to pay for a new SIM with Jump on Demand or EIP, was my answer.

Ironically Verizon isn't charging the activation fee or a SIM fee on their device financing. AT&T is charging $15 as their Next plan activation fee which is similar to T-Mobile's SIM Card fee.

Now if I switched to T-Mobile here I'd definitely go in store somewhere and port my line and make sure that I didn't pay the SIM fee, citing that I already did as a $30 SIM customer. It's the principle of the fee that aggravates me, whether it is called a SIM fee or activation fee.

You must have quoted me seconds before I edited my post because right now you don't have to pay an activation fee if you get a new iPhone http://i.imgur.com/vQ31Q38.jpg  :censored:

You must have quoted me seconds before I edited my post because right now you don't have to pay an activation fee if you get a new iPhone http://i.imgur.com/vQ31Q38.jpg :censored:

Point taken. Also, I'm not sure if JOD customers on T-Mobile pay the SIM Card fee or not. I'd have mine waived, but I'm probably smarter about all this than most consumers are.

What is Verizon doing different with SIM activation? I popped in my already active SIM into my new Pure and everything worked flawlessly even VoLTE. I didn't call anybody or do anything online. I understand VZW customers had a few hiccups if they were activating a new SIM tho..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is Verizon doing different with SIM activation? I popped in my already active SIM into my new Pure and everything worked flawlessly even VoLTE. I didn't call anybody or do anything online. I understand VZW customers had a few hiccups if they were activating a new SIM tho..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Verizon has been on CSIM for a much longer period of time. They long ago worked out their hiccups.

• Like 3

Local bestbuy had 1 pures in stock (16gb ones though) a employ bought the first one and while I was thinking about getting the 32gb or just settle with the 16gb someone bought the last one :/ guess I'll have to wait for the 32gb to get in stocks somewhere.

Sent from a Note 4

Anyone who has a 16gb version, what's the avg space free? My local bestbuy has 10 16gb ones in stock. I'd rather have a 32gb but my note 4 is dying on meSent from a Note 4

Screenshot_2015-09-18-12-34-18.png

The only apps installed:

Dropbox, Instagram, Signal Check , Speedtest and whatsapp.

The rest is Stock Apps

• Like 2

Thanks, I'm still on the fence about it. I know my note 4 has 32gb total and I have just under 15gb free right now. But how much of that is TouchWiz bloat/ carrier bloat. I know some of my apps are on my SD card and some aren't, I'm just worried about running out of space.

Edit: I was going to upload a picture of my current storage after I deletes some apps I never used but once or twice, but it keeps saying "upload_to_big".

Sent from a Note 4

Edited by ghostkilla1388

Thanks, I'm still on the fence about it. I know my note 4 has 32gb total and I have just under 15gb free right now. But how much of that is TouchWiz bloat/ carrier bloat. I know some of my apps are on my SD card and some aren't, I'm just worried about running out of space.

Sent from a Note 4

I have a 32 GB nexus 5 and I don't think I have ever had a crunch for space. I think if you are worried you can EASILY get the 16GB or 32GB version and if you run into storage issues for movies/tv shows/etc put it on a 32 or 64 GB SD card. Class 10 SD cards from Sandisk often go on sale for $20 for the 32GB version.

That is probably my plan if I end up getting the moto x pure over the upcoming N5X.

Oops, should have mentioned I do have a 64gb card for pictures and videos plus my Google play music library ( 2 places I work at I like to listen to music and signal is either very slow or non existent) total space of the card is 59.44 and free spaces is 58.26, I'm good there. Only reason I'd rather have the 32gb is apps that can't be moved to SD card(with out root and etc stuff) and room for updates. I've had to clean my Papa's S5 4 times just so he could do a update, I have to remove 10 or so apps then update after the update reinstall the apps. Pain in the shin.

Sent from a Note 4

Oops, should have mentioned I do have a 64gb card for pictures and videos plus my Google play music library ( 2 places I work at I like to listen to music and signal is either very slow or non existent) total space of the card is 59.44 and free spaces is 58.26, I'm good there. Only reason I'd rather have the 32gb is apps that can't be moved to SD card(with out root and etc stuff) and room for updates. I've had to clean my Papa's S5 4 times just so he could do a update, I have to remove 10 or so apps then update after the update reinstall the apps. Pain in the shin.

Sent from a Note 4

Yeah man in that case I would just go for the 32GB. $50 is not THAT bad for doubling the storage.

edit: To really get sand in my craw the new iphone has a waived activation fee http://i.imgur.com/vQ31Q38.jpg

The last three devices I have used, I bought outright and activated on my own. I have not paid an activation fee for several years. I haven't been charged an activation fee either, so I haven't had to call in and get it removed.