Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

Here you go, not much to see here:

It is the same as the engineering screen on the 2014 Moto X and Nexus 6.  Except that it cannot even get the band right.  Band 40?!

This is not looking good at all...

AJ

It is the same as the engineering screen on the 2014 Moto X and Nexus 6.  Except that it cannot even get the band right.  Band 40?!

AJ

This isn't the first time Moto has botched engineering screens with mislabeled information, aka band 26 on first gen Moto X.

This isn't the first time Moto has botched engineering screens with mislabeled information, aka band 26 on first gen Moto X.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly of that -- the single band 2013 Moto X.

AJ

AJ

Also, Band 25 LTE shows as Band 24 on the LTE Engineering screen!

Bill I have a quick favor to ask you.

If you go to this link and enter your MEID does it say your device can be activated on GSM and CDMA or GSM only?  Trying to see if all we really need is the correct SIM or if some devices have been whitelisted while others aren't.

https://ting.com/byod

My N5 shows GSM and CDMA.  But my Pure only shows GSM currently.  

Yeah, I was thinking exactly of that -- the single band 2013 Moto X.

AJ

Also, no sign of the SCC field is a bit disconcerting. Id get the carrier version to avoid any potential support issues from Sprint/Motorola. At least if something doesn't quite work on the carrier version, I can simply point the finger directly at Sprint.

What band number does SignalCheck Pro display?

AJ

Also, no sign of the SCC field is a bit disconcerting. Id get the carrier version to avoid any potential support issues from Sprint/Motorola. At least if something doesn't quite work on the carrier version, I can simply point the finger directly at Sprint.

What do you mean by "carrier version"?  Sprint has no plans to carry the 2015 Moto X directly.  None of the operators do.  Motorola has opted to go this third party sales route.

AJ

• Like 1

What do you mean by "carrier version"?  Sprint has no plans to carry the 2015 Moto X directly.  None of the operators do.  Motorola has opted to go this third party sales route.

AJ

Aw, I could have sworn I read somewhere that carriers were releasing their own versions of the phone with minimal bloatware.

AJ

This...

http://www.motorola.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Motorola_WE-Site/en/Product-Show?pid=moto-x-style-we#editorial-moto-x-style-we

Quote from androidcentral article..

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-style-hands-biggest-and-most-customizable-moto-x-yet

"The Style will be the one we get in the U.S. starting in September, and it'll hit Europe and Latin America as well. Plus, there will be a "Pure Edition" of the Style that's sold outside the carrier ecosystem in the U.S."

That's for Europe. It doesn't have band 26 for Sprint anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I updated the post with quote and link..

Also, I wouldn't trust Motorola with band labeling.

I checked out the Android Central link. I tweeted Phil Nickinson about it to see if they still stand by it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Bill I have a quick favor to ask you.

If you go to this link and enter your MEID does it say your device can be activated on GSM and CDMA or GSM only?  Trying to see if all we really need is the correct SIM or if some devices have been whitelisted while others aren't.

https://ting.com/byod

My N5 shows GSM and CDMA.  But my Pure only shows GSM currently.  

Here is what it says:

Ting.png

- -

My account is paid in full, not sure why they are saying that.  Perhaps in a few days it will all change

I updated the post with quote and link..

Also, I wouldn't trust Motorola with band labeling.

However, I would trust the FCC OET.  I hate to break it to you, but staff has known for months now about this other variant.  It is not coming to Sprint.

AJ

What band number does SignalCheck Pro display?

AJ

1st Edit: Signal Check Pro shows the correct Band 41 correctly.  Still checking the others.  Trying to get it to cycle.

2nd Edit - Screenshots for your viewing pleasure:

Screenshot_2015-09-12-17-42-47.png

Screenshot_2015-09-12-17-43-04.png

Screenshot_2015-09-12-18-13-24.png

• Like 1

There's a lot of confusing information here to activate this device.

What would be the easiest and fastest way to activate this device on Sprint? I'm really looking forward to it but the hassle of the whole thing is turning me off....

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

There's a lot of confusing information here to activate this device.

What would be the easiest and fastest way to activate this device on Sprint? I'm really looking forward to it but the hassle of the whole thing is turning me off....

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  It's just an atypical situation that will likely be sorted out within a week or two. 

• Like 2

I am about ready to pass judgment.  As it stands now, the hard truth about the 2015 Moto X is that it will not be a good device for our S4GRU membership of network deployment and RF signal trackers.

Carrier aggregation is the next big thing in Network Vision -- and for the other big three operators for that matter.  If the Motorola engineering screens cannot display 2x CA SCC signal metrics, that is a major shortcoming for our RF power users.

Moreover, the same basic LTE engineering screen that has been carried over from the non CA 2014 Moto X and non CA Nexus 6 has somehow reverted to the 2013 Moto X band misidentification quirk.  Band 41 is band 40.  Band 25 is band 24.  Not a huge deal for those bands.  We know that Sprint does not operate in band 40 nor band 24.  But what about band 26 identified as band 25?  Does the engineering screen always erroneously subtract one band?  What about AT&T band 5 identified as band 4?  What can you trust?

And I can report after trying my T-Mobile prepaid SIM that the standard dialer codes with the Sprint SIM are blocked.  The same is likely true with a VZW SIM or AT&T SIM.  There may be workarounds with shortcut makers or root access.  But nothing is guaranteed.

Disappointing.  Maybe some of these issues will get addressed in future updates.  I would not count on that, though.  Among even our membership, only some of us use engineering screen signal metrics for important purposes.  We are an incredibly small minority.

In the end, the design, materials, and performance to price ratio of the 2015 Moto X likely will not be topped this year.  It is a very nice handset for most use cases.  But I now think the LG manufactured 2015 Nexus 5 -- like its predecessor -- will be the S4GRU network deployment and RF signal tracking handset to have.

AJ

• Like 2

Does that back feel like real wood or plastic wood?

It is real wood.  Bamboo, which OEMs and environmentalists both like because it is sustainable.  Bamboo grows very quickly.

AJ

• Like 2