Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

1 minute ago, ingenium said:

Hmm, well in that case I'm going to say it's something with your VPN or firewall rules. If the VPN connects and works, then the traffic is agnostic on Sprint's end. It all looks the same to them, VNC, RDP, SSH, etc. If some services work over it but not others, and you've ruled out the MTU / fragmentation issue, then it's not a Sprint problem, it's something with your config.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

But RDP works fine on Verizon and my home internet. Do you still think it could be a firewall issue?

But RDP works fine on Verizon and my home internet. Do you still think it could be a firewall issue?
It really depends on your config. It could be a firewall issue on your VPN server side, or it could be something else. It entirely depends on your setup. But if the VPN works for everything else, then the issue isn't on Sprint's end. It's just encrypted traffic to them that all looks identical, all going to the same place.

I still say try forcing a lower MTU and see if that fixes it. There's a setting for it in the OpenVPN and Strongswan (ikev2 ipsec), and I imagine most other VPN apps. If that's not it, then it's not Sprint's fault.

I guess one final thing, do you tunnel all traffic over the VPN, or just some subnets? I ask because if you are using a non public or custom DNS record for your RDP server, you need to ensure the DNS query goes over the VPN. Sprint intercepts DNS and responds with their internal resolver. It's not possible to use another DNS server on Sprint unless you're running it over a VPN or using DNS over TLS or HTTPS.

13 minutes ago, ingenium said:

It really depends on your config. It could be a firewall issue on your VPN server side, or it could be something else. It entirely depends on your setup. But if the VPN works for everything else, then the issue isn't on Sprint's end. It's just encrypted traffic to them that all looks identical, all going to the same place.

I still say try forcing a lower MTU and see if that fixes it. There's a setting for it in the OpenVPN and Strongswan (ikev2 ipsec), and I imagine most other VPN apps. If that's not it, then it's not Sprint's fault.

I guess one final thing, do you tunnel all traffic over the VPN, or just some subnets? I ask because if you are using a non public or custom DNS record for your RDP server, you need to ensure the DNS query goes over the VPN. Sprint intercepts DNS and responds with their internal resolver. It's not possible to use another DNS server on Sprint unless you're running it over a VPN or using DNS over TLS or HTTPS.

Just some subsets. It does seem to be doing lookups using our DNS server. I can’t find a setting to lower the MTU using Cisco AnyConnect. 

Just some subsets. It does seem to be doing lookups using our DNS server. I can’t find a setting to lower the MTU using Cisco AnyConnect. 
Try temporarily sending all traffic over the VPN. It's possible the subnet route isn't being setup properly.

Or it's an issue with IPv6 (does your RDP server have an IPv6 (AAAA) DNS record? If so, is that subnet also set to go over the VPN?). Tethering does not have IPv6, but native does. I've run into this issue at times as well, since AAAA (IPv6) records always take priority over A (IPv4).

You can also run a packet capture on the RDP server and see if you see the incoming packets from the VPN client trying to connect. If not, repeat at the VPN server. If you don't see RDP packets passing through, then it's a routing or DNS issue at your device. But there are just too many variables at this point to narrow down the cause, there are tons of possibilities and it depends on your specific setup. You just have to go piece by piece and track down where exactly it's failing.

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

Sprint is really giving the other carriers a run for there money this year

https://www.speedtest.net/reports/united-states/

Really goes to show that despite all of the anecdotes, Sprint is pretty much on par with all of the other carriers in almost every metric besides upload speeds.

• Like 2

Really goes to show that despite all of the anecdotes, Sprint is pretty much on par with all of the other carriers in almost every metric besides upload speeds.

Don’t forget coverage. Coverage has to be improved upon but that comes with time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

It wasn’t a hard concept: “hey, let’s add band 41 to all sites and see what happens. Lol a bit sarcastic, but that’s what it took

Still room to grow. There are a few sites here that still lack B41. STL has been aggressively getting M-MIMO up. I have found off top of my head slightly over 10 I think. Probably even more I haven't found yet.

• Like 2

Still room to grow. There are a few sites here that still lack B41. STL has been aggressively getting M-MIMO up. I have found off top of my head slightly over 10 I think. Probably even more I haven't found yet.

Oh no doubt, but with this merger pending is sprint really still concerned so much about growth? Probably not. Let’s finish out these upgrades we have planned and hello new-T-Mobile

Sorry if this is the wrong topic to post in. Can move it to the correct one if necessary. I still have my family on the Framily plan. I have four lines on it. Wondering if there is any input on the New sprint unlimited plans.

4 hours ago, RSC405 said:

Sorry if this is the wrong topic to post in. Can move it to the correct one if necessary. I still have my family on the Framily plan. I have four lines on it. Wondering if there is any input on the New sprint unlimited plans.

Here’s Sprint’s Unlimited Plan Pricing/Features: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-cell-phone-plan.html

The plans are differentiated by SD/HD/Full HD streaming, Hotspot Allotment, International Roaming Allotment and bundled services. It’s all on the page.

Four lines on:

Unlimited Basic: $140/Month

Unlimited Plus: $180/Month

Unlimited Premium: $220/Month

Vs

Framily: https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-redefines-the-wireless-family-with-the-new-sprint-framily-plan.htm

4 lines on Framily with the Unlimited Data add-on for each line is $60/Month per line, for a total of $240/Month.

You should consider switching plans.

• Like 1

Here’s Sprint’s Unlimited Plan Pricing/Features: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unlimited-cell-phone-plan.html
The plans are differentiated by SD/HD/Full HD streaming, Hotspot Allotment, International Roaming Allotment and bundled services. It’s all on the page.
Four lines on:
Unlimited Basic: $140/Month
Unlimited Plus: $180/Month
Unlimited Premium: $220/Month
Vs
Framily: https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-redefines-the-wireless-family-with-the-new-sprint-framily-plan.htm
4 lines on Framily with the Unlimited Data add-on for each line is $60/Month per line, for a total of $240/Month.
You should consider switching plans.
Don't forget Sprint Plus and Premium are add on options now. So if 3 members only need basic and you wanted premium it would be a $20 add on per line. $10 add on for Plus. Also the nice bonus is you all get hotspot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes lets add band 41 to every tower and why not solve the upload problem at the sametime with band 41/25 CA....... Oh no we have been sabotaging the company from the inside for that stupid merger. Saw has done a good job but he has been too slow to implement techs.I am sure he gets his orders from the overlords. The only reason VOLTE has been in a massive deployment in every place now is because they want a seamless  transition with the Tmobile network.

• Like 2

Yes lets add band 41 to every tower and why not solve the upload problem at the sametime with band 41/25 CA....... Oh no we have been sabotaging the company from the inside for that stupid merger. Saw has done a good job but he has been too slow to implement techs.I am sure he gets his orders from the overlords. The only reason VOLTE has been in a massive deployment in every place now is because they want a seamless  transition with the Tmobile network.

Spot on ! The network has been ready for volte since what 2015

I really believe that Sprint has been sabotaging their network for a long time. Lots of software only upgrades that don’t cost much and they couldn’t do it? I don’t buy it.

12 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

I really believe that Sprint has been sabotaging their network for a long time. Lots of software only upgrades that don’t cost much and they couldn’t do it? I don’t buy it.

Especially when the sales pitch of network vision rip and replace (2011)  was cabinets that allow massive software upgrades without hassle. Claure and the Japanese were the worst thing to happen to Sprint. If you want to turn around a cellphone company you don't bring in a guy that has zero experience on telecom, but if you want to make massive cuts and lean the company for a sale then you bring in..... Claure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, though said:

I like, however, aren't those typical u/l speeds on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile for 4G?

Are they tho? Think about it for a second, its just more spectrum online, regardless if its 4G or 5G. While peak speeds on those carriers are up there, average is a whole different story. Sprint is saying 100mbs+(vs 20-30mbs on LTE) is very typical on Sprint 5G.